PDA

View Full Version : How do you clarify?

sophistiCat *
April 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hi :)

Still fairly new around here, and I have a question for you! How exactly do you clarify your hair? I've looked through the articles but can't find any that explain. Is it as simple as washing with a different product every so often so that it removes build up from your usual products? I'm CO at the moment and it's going great, how would I clarify with this washing method? Also how often do you need to do it?

Thanks!:confused:

NuclearMosquito
April 7th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Clarifying usually involves shampoo or something with stronger cleansing agents than you've been using in your daily routine. Personally, I clarify by using a shampoo with SLS, mixing it with some hot water, and washing all my hair with it, not just scalp. I only do this if I feel build-up on my hair or if I've done a deep oiling.

I'm sure others will chime in with their methods of clarifying as well. :)

Loreley
April 7th, 2010, 11:28 AM
When I was a CO washer I used SLS shampoo to clarify.
I changed my routine a few weeks ago and now I use an SLS free shampoo but I don't know yet if I'll have to clarify with a harsher one. :confused:
I use a kids' shampoo and it seems to be perfect for me! :inlove:

Gumball
April 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I agree that clarifying usually requires a shampoo or other cleansing agent that is a little tougher. If I ever needed to I'd use Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo, as it does its job but isn't completely horrifying. Hehe. My hair is prone to overreacting.

Clarifying won't really work using just conditioner. CO can sure clean, but if there is any buildup you'll just need to knock it out of the park. You don't have to clarify often either. I know I don't. It's usually the last ditch effort when I think my hair needs something, and I don't get to that point very frequently.

spidermom
April 7th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I usually use diluted shampoo, but if I feel clarifying is needed, I use it full strength and all the way down my length rather than just at the scalp. I don't need to do it very often; my hair readily lets go of whatever I use on it. Even a heavy oiling will come out with diluted shampooing at the scalp most of the time.

freckles
April 7th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I usually use an SLS-free shampoo, on my roots only, and diluted. When I need to clarify, I use some left over SLS shampoo, and I apply it to my whole length.

Merewen
April 7th, 2010, 12:34 PM
There are also a few people who use baking soda. I use the SLS shampoo when I think it needs it (seems to be a few months). Even if I put a ton of oil on my hair, I can get it out easily with just a CO wash, so this is for build-up only.

Jean Stuart
April 30th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I use baking soda to wash then rinse with part water part apple cider vinagar.

Cirafly24
April 30th, 2010, 11:03 AM
For normal clarifying, I use something with sulfates, usually Head & Shoulders because when I get buildup I usually get dandruff as well.

If I need heavy duty clarification, I wash my scalp with a baking soda paste, and rinse with diluted white vinegar. But I rinse the baking soda out before using the vinegar, because I don't want a volcano on my head! :laugh:

clichepithet
April 30th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Currently I use ion for hard or well-water shampoo to clarify. As we have hard water and I'm a blonde, I like a chelater for clarifying. The night before I hit my length heavy with the coconut oil, next day before wash I comb it all out, spritz with water, drench it with the lighter-pre-wash-conditioner-flavor-of-the-week, which is usually a Suave Naturals, clip it up, do my showery-things, let my hair down, rinse it a bit to wet, then add a good bit of the shampoo that's been diluted all over my crown, then slowly work it all around. Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse! Then I hit it with a heavier conditioner which I let sit, then I rinse a bit more, finally a quick cold-water vinegar rinse. My hair is currently wet from just this treatment, and for the next 24 hours or so my halo is gonna be all WHEE!!! but by tomorrow it will calm back down. I'll also give it a quick hit with sweet almond oil in a bit.