PDA

View Full Version : Melissa oil Question

Purdy Bear
April 7th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Is Melissa oil the same as Lemon Balm oil? I want to do the Von Zabuesnig Alopecia Univarlis recipe which needs Lemon Balm (Melissa) oil, but in one thread someone said it s $60, but on our Ebay in the Uk, its just a couple of pounds. I dont want to go getting the wrong thing.

Thanks
Purdy

ChloeDharma
April 7th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Melissa and lemon balm are the same thing, just different name. The botanical name is Melissa Officinalis. My advice would be not to be seduced by price, Battaglia lists this oil as one of the most frequently adulterated essential oils so i would only buy from suppliers registered with a body that guarantees quality and purity, in the UK that would be the Aromatherapy Trade Council, but i forgot to look where you are.
I forgot to add, the adulteration also increases the chances of melissa causing skin sensitisation which it is unfortunately known for, so even if you do find good quality essential oil i'd try to keep to very low dilutions with this oil or find an alternative.
HTH :)

sapphire-o
April 7th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Ya they're the same. Please note that pure lemon balm oil would eat through almost anything. Never put it on plastic or rubber stuff. I had a couple bottle lids melted away entirely. :)