PDA

View Full Version : Braiding! Explain it to me like I'm a 4-year-old.

Lady Danger
April 7th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Seriously, please HELP! I've read the articles here. I've done searches. I simply cannot figure out how to braid my own hair. I don't know if I'm uncoordinated, if my hair is too fine, or what, but it's so frustrating! I would love to braid before sleeping, since ponytails pull on my hair but leaving it down makes it tangle. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 7th, 2010, 09:31 AM
you mean, french-kind of braids or regular 3-strand braids?

Torrin Paige
April 7th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Separate your hair into three strands. After that it is simply right strand over middle strand, left strand over middle strand, right, left, right, left until you reach the end.

chopandchange
April 7th, 2010, 09:37 AM
You can start by ponytailing your hair (which is easier) or else you can just start with loose hair. Separate your hair (or the ponytail) into three equal bits like this: imagine you are going to make three separate ponytails at the back of your head, but don't tie them off. Instead, cross the right one over the middle one and keep it there in its new place. Then do the same for the left one. Keep going like this - right over middle, left over middle - until you almost run out of hair, and then tie it off.

If you can't master it yet on your own hair, take three bits of string and tie them at the end and practise.

Hope this helps.

Aevra
April 7th, 2010, 09:38 AM
For a regular 3 strand braid, I just take the threee strands and cross the outside ones with the middle ones, alternating left side and right side.

You could also think of it as weaving your hair...taking the outermost strand and weaving it through the others, it will make a different type of braid, but it works well...that's how I do my 4 and 5 strand braids.

Lady Danger
April 7th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Kind of like when I used to make those friendship bracelets as a kid? OK...you guys are definitely making sense to me, which is great.

I'm trying it now (yes...bored at work!) and the thing that keeps happening is either the left/right section falls over into the middle section; or also the whole thing is so loose is just doesn't seem to hold. I do have fine, thin, slippery hair, and not a ton of it.

Grr...

chopandchange
April 7th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Assuming you used to braid the strings to make bracelets then, yes, it's a bit like making bracelets - unless you are referring to the kind of bracelets that you make using macrame knots. Please don't try to knot your poor hair!

If one section is merging into another, then it just means you need more practice at keeping each strand separate from the others. The theory behind the technique is very simple, but your hands just need practice at becoming used to handling the strands. Don't give up!

If your hair is very slippery, it might help to dampen it or put something in it such as oil, a bit of aloe gel, or even some leave-in conditioner. I don't suppose you can do that now, if you're at work, but try later.

I don't have the slippery problem. I have the frizz problem instead! :(

spidermom
April 7th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I don't know what you mean by "either the left/right section falls over into the middle section". You are going to be continuously crossing from right to middle, left to middle, right to middle - and so forth. You have to keep the 3 strands separated from each other with your fingers as you work. When you cross the right strand over the middle strand, the right strand becomes the new middle strand and the former middle strand is now the right strand. Same on the left side.

But yes - it's like making friendship bracelets.

If the whole thing is too loose, try just a bit more tension (pull a bit tighter). You don't want to pull too tight, though; it hurts.

sophistiCat *
April 7th, 2010, 09:57 AM
You could try a styling product or coconut oil to give a bit more weight to your hair and smooth it into strands. If your hair is freshly washed it can be more tricky as its usually more slippery. My advice is try something to make it stick :) I use the body shop's coconut hair shine which really helps braiding and conditions my hair at the same time. Keep going with it and you'll get it. Another tip is look for the type of instructions that suit you best, you might be a visual person so in that case have a look at some oft he great tutorials on youtube etc, or if you're better at following instructions or having it explained, then look at some websites like dreamweaverbraiding.com for more wordy instructions. It really is practise, and once you get the rhythmn and feel oof it you'll be well away. HTH :)

natt i nord
April 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM
If you don't get it on the back of your head - try to begin on one side, that's easier for the beginning.

Take all your hair on your left shoulder (or whichever you prefer - to me it's the left one) and gather it there. The part into three strands and begin with the left strand. Bring it to your face and put it over the middle strand that it becomes the new middle strand. Then do the same to the right strand and so on. If it's still too slippy then ponytail your hair first before you start braiding. After you got that you can start to try braiding on the back of your head.

Ursula
April 7th, 2010, 10:02 AM
It sounds as if, when you're transferring a strand, you're combining it in your hand with the one it is moving over.

You need to hold the hair so that each strand is held separately from the others. Since you have three strands, but only two hands, that means you're always having to have one hand holding two strands while keeping them separate.

To do this, I have each hand with two grasps. On strand can be held between the pointer and middle finger, while the other is against the palm, held by the pinky and ring finger on one side and the thumb on the other.

What I find works is that when the left strand is moving over the middle, I have the left strand between my pointer and ring finger, and the middle strand in the palm grasp, held from below, and moved by turning my wrist so that the whole thing rotates. Then the (new) center strand gets transfered to the right hand with the third strand, and the left hand takes the single strand left (the new left strand) and moves it from the palm grasp to the finger grasp, to be ready to grab the moving strand for the next twist.

Lady Danger
April 7th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks!! These are great suggestions. I do like to Coconut oil or Jojoba oil my ends before bed, so I'll have to try that.

Hee hee...I did mean the string friendship bracelets. ;-)

And yes, I am a visual person. Thanks for reminding me about the great resource that is YouTube! I always forget it's not just for entertainment videos anymore.

Lady Danger
April 7th, 2010, 10:04 AM
It sounds as if, when you're transferring a strand, you're combining it in your hand with the one it is moving over.

YES. That's what I was doing. Thank you! I agree with you & others that my hands simply may need to be trained a little.

Purdy Bear
April 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Get yourself some string and cut into three lengths, or as many as you need for the braid (I use 24 inch lengths). Knot them together at the top. You now have a toy you can practice your three braids (or as many as you need) on.

Once you have the knack of it, try just braiding the lower end of your hair, as its easier, and then higher up. This is how my grandmother taught me at the age of about 6 to braid my own hair.

This is how I come up with lots of braid ideas, its very handy sitting and fiddling with string.

The three strand braid:

Devide your hair into three section. The far left is 1, the middle is 2, and the right is 3.

Holding the strands seperate in your hands, make sure you dont muddle them up.

Pass 3 over 2 into the middle becoming the new middle, which puts 2 in the old position of 3.

Pass 1 over 3 into the middle which puts 1 in the old position of 3 and so 3 goes to the old place of 1.

This is one round ( so its right over middle and hold, then left over the new middle and hold, then right over the middle and hold, then left over the middle and hold etc).

To get the braid you just repeat this round as many times as you wish. Taking the outside right in first over into the middle and then the left outside in over the middle.

princessp
April 7th, 2010, 12:40 PM
When you braid use your index and middle fingers to pull the section over the middle. So you are holding both sides with right and left hands respectively (the middle section is hanging loose), but on each hand leave your index and middle finger free. Now you can use those fingers to grab the section from the opposite side and over the middle.

So for instance, you have your 3 sections, right hand holding right side, left hand holding left side, but on both hands you can wiggle your index and middle fingers. Focus on your left hand first, grab the right section with the index middle finger of your left hand. Notice, the left sections is not getting mixed up with the new section you pulled from the right because your left index/middle are holding it while the rest of your left fingers are holding the left section. So now your right hand is free. Well since the right section is being held by your left hand, the middle section is now located closest to your right hand, so pick that up with your right hand thus it becomes the new right section. Pull it tight over to the right. Now turn your left hand under (clockwise) so that the section being held with your left index and middle fingers is under the section held by the rest of your left hand. This is going to make it easier for you to grab this section with your right index and middle fingers. So go ahead and grab the section being held by the left fingers with index/middle of right hand. Once you have the section with your right hand grab the section you have been holding with your left index and middle with your entire left hand and pull. Now wiggle your index and middle on your left hand. Turn your right hand counter clockwise and grab the top section on the right side with left index/middle. You just want to continue this pattern until you get your braid completed.

dropinthebucket
April 7th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Lady Danger, what a great subject line! thank you for asking this, and thank you to all who posted tips! (I too have fingers that do not learn very wel ..... braiding, knitting, shoelaces.... ) :knitfrog:

rusika1
April 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
And a very important point to remember--DON'T TRY TO WATCH YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR!

Really. It will do nothing but confuse you. I find this to be true when practicing any kind of new braid.

(After you've mastered the skill, you can braid in front of the mirror if you want.)

Smokering
April 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Well, when I was four... or so.. I learned according to this little story.

"There are three men in the boat, and they all want to have a turn sitting in the middle. So the man on the left hops into the middle. And then the man on the right hops into the middle. And then the man on the left hops into the middle..."

I still conceptualise braids this way. :) If I'm trying a new, complicated braid I'll think of "whose turn" it is, not just "left, right, left". Worked OK for me!

Lady Danger
April 8th, 2010, 10:57 AM
And a very important point to remember--DON'T TRY TO WATCH YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR!

Really. It will do nothing but confuse you. I find this to be true when practicing any kind of new braid.

This is very true for me for anything! I'm directionally dyslexic and doing anything while looking in a mirror scrambles my brain. Even self-trims, I have to be so careful that I don't move the scissors the wrong way!

Lady Danger, what a great subject line! thank you for asking this, and thank you to all who posted tips! (I too have fingers that do not learn very wel ..... braiding, knitting, shoelaces.... ) :knitfrog:

You're welcome, and thanks for the compliment. I'm glad this thread is useful for you as well!

And a huge thanks for everyone's replies. I'm going to be practicing a lot of braiding this weekend!

Lady Mary
April 8th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I have very soft fine hair, if I want to do an up do or a braid I have to wet my hands first and get my hair damp otherwise it slips out. Perhaps try with a splash of water to see if it stays better while styling.

countryhopper
April 9th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Well, when I was four... or so.. I learned according to this little story.

"There are three men in the boat, and they all want to have a turn sitting in the middle. So the man on the left hops into the middle. And then the man on the right hops into the middle. And then the man on the left hops into the middle..."

I still conceptualise braids this way. :) If I'm trying a new, complicated braid I'll think of "whose turn" it is, not just "left, right, left". Worked OK for me!

This is SOOOO cute! I love it! It's like the one where the bunny runs around the tree then under and through the tree (but that's for tying shor laces!!)

Heavenly Locks
April 9th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Does this picture help? I find the color coded yarn is easier to see the pattern with. :flower:

http://slinging.org/articleimages/20/begin.jpg