PDA

View Full Version : My hair hates everything !

doro357
April 7th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Hi, My hair seems to hate everything i try.
Indian herbs--shedding.
Oils --shedding ,hard time washing out.
Homemade shampoo--very bad
Regular shampoo--itching
I used Aubrey's shampoo and conditioner (GPB) and it feels sticky and limp. I mixed the shampoo with baking soda trying to strip out the conditioner. Washed two more times,no luck.It still feels like there is something on my hair.
Should I use a clarifying shampoo?
Dish soap?
I want to use a natural shampoo and conditioner. I need something for fine hair and won't strip out my henna.
Thanks.

spidermom
April 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Try diluting whatever shampoo you have in about 1/2 cup of warm water. I use an empty shampoo bottle and make this mixture nearly every time I wash my hair. I've had good results with Natures Gate products, also Save Your Hair/Save the Rainforest.

When you use conditioner, your hair is supposed to feel like there's something in it. I recently had to wash without conditioner (for the dye), and OMG! Talk about tangled, grabby hair! Much better to have conditioner; I always leave some in (no rinse).

YesitsReal
April 7th, 2010, 09:39 AM
You could try a shampoo bar. I use Chagrin Valley (love the Chamomile & Citrus). The website has recommendations based on your hair type (oily, dry, etc.). They make your hair feel a little weird when it's wet--sort of coated or something--but when it dries, it doesn't feel weird, just clean. If you do this, though, I recommend reading their article on how to use a shampoo bar. Using a bar can be a bit finicky.

DON'T use dish soap. Talk about tough on your scalp! You could try a clarifying shampoo to get the gunk out of your hair before you try switching to something permanently, but you may just have to wait til it 'wears' out. It could also be hard-water buildup. Have you tried diluted ACV?

HTH!

doro357
April 7th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks, It could be hard water.I have to get a new shower filter,so it's been awhile washing without one.I didn't think water made a big difference.
Are shampoo bars like some of the liquid oil soaps? Tried Dr.Bronners.Mixed it with a tea ,then uses an ACV rinse.My scalp was fine,the rest of my hair felt sticky.
Maybe I should switch my shampoo.I just started using Aubrey's Rose Mosqueta.Thought it would be good because it says great for color- treated hair.
I think the conditioner is too rich,maybe a lighter one.

queenfairypants
April 7th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Lush do a hard water shampoo bar that softens water if you are in a hard water area, I bet that would make a big difference to my hair and skin too but I need to get through some other shampoo and shampoo bars first.

Shampoo bars are just as they're called, shampoo in a soap like bar - love em!

Schmoomunitions
April 7th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I find shampoo bars make my hair feel sticky even with the vinegar rinses. Id do a clarifying wash and then the watered down shampoo from then on with conditioner.

Anje
April 7th, 2010, 12:15 PM
First, I'd suggest doing a diluted vinegar rinse and a bit of a soak in conditioner, if your hair still feels icky from the baking soda + shampoo thing. Baking soda (and Dr. Bronners, and shampoo bars) are known for making the scales of your hair stand up, and it's worse with soaps and hard water. Diluted vinegar is the answer to that feeling. Also, I'd consider that to have been clarifying, so if you just did it, I don't think you'll have to clarify again.

Not much strips henna, but dish soap might try. It's about the harshest thing you could try, and I'd recommend you avoid it.

Have you tried CO washing? It might be worth a go, and it won't dry out your scalp, which is good if regular shampoo is causing itching from dry skin. Shampoo bars are another possibility, but you're almost certainly going to want that dilute vinegar rinse every time.

Of course, if your hair really, really hates everything, you could try water-only or sebum-only (where you don't even wet your hair, just brush it to distribute the oils).

Sisko
April 7th, 2010, 01:16 PM
doro357, I strongly recommend A'kin shampoo and conditioner.

My hair reacts badly to pretty much everything else in the way of cleaning agents, much like yours. It hates Aubrey Organics, scalp itches and bleeds with regular chemical shampoo, frizz galore with vinegar and so on (loves oils, however). Dilute it, too, as spidermom suggested, and try the CWC washing method. Good luck!

MonikaHa
April 7th, 2010, 01:24 PM
If it hates everything - ditch everything! Try WO, worked wonders for me.

doro357
April 7th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks.
My hair is oily.Would water alone get it clean?
Would a conditioner wash get rid of the oil?
I thought both were good if you had dry scalp and hair. I make enough oil to pass it around to everyone on this planet.:(

spidermom
April 7th, 2010, 02:58 PM
The only way you'll know is to try. Make one change and continue it for two weeks before you decide whether or not it's a good idea. It takes time for hair and scalp to adjust to changes. Of course, if you get an immediate bad result - like the time I tried baking soda in my shampoo to clarify and ended up with a matted, dried out mess - don't keep that up for two weeks.

A good thing to try is CWC with your current products (apply conditioner, shampoo scalp, apply conditioner again).

CO works wonderfully for some, not others. I thought I'd found the holy grail of hair care with CO, but by the time I did it the third time in a row, my hair was a limp, dull, stringy mess. I tried several light conditioners recommended here, and once is beautiful, twice is so-so, and three times is just plain ugly. CWC with diluted shampoo has given me consistent good results. Others swear by CO, or shampoo bars, or water only, or ........... It's highly individual.

skarab
April 8th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I second the WO suggestion. My hair hated everything. There were times where I could shampoo 3 times and still have gunky buildup on my scalp. The length was dry but conditioner didn't help and seemed to never wash out... etc, etc. With WO I've got no itching, no gunk, my hair looks healthier, and I've put an end to the hassle of trying products only to be disappointed.

doro357
April 11th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks, A while back I heard of someone doing a WO wash with very hot water.Said it was the only way to get it really clean. What temperature do you use? How long do you "wash" ?

deko
April 11th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I need something for fine hair and won't strip out my henna.
Thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much of stripping out the henna :D if you have several layers of it then you can use everything, it doesn't fade. If you find a regular product that actually removes henna you should share it, some of the hennaheads would love to have a product to fade henna.

I would clarify and then try CWC, with no-perfume sensitive shampoo.

skarab
April 25th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks, A while back I heard of someone doing a WO wash with very hot water.Said it was the only way to get it really clean. What temperature do you use? How long do you "wash" ?

Oops Doro, I was just going through back posts and realised I missed your question. If you're still interested: I use hot water, but not very hot - just the normal temp I shower with and so it varies according to my mood. I also do a quick rinse with cool water at the very end, which seems to help.

My 'washing' is two step: I scritch thoroughly right before getting into the shower, and then once my hair is soaked I use one of those plastic toothy scrubbers on the scalp. I just do it until everything feels well-scrubbed. That's it. Detangle, rinse with cool water and then when I get out I use an aloe vera spray which seems to help keep my ends less tangly.
Repeat every 3-4 days.