PDA

View Full Version : zinc supps for dandruff ?

SophieSpector
April 6th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I don't know if this would work but considering zinc shampoos really help dandruff and a symptom of zinc deficiancy is dandruff I would think instead of applying it topically taking a supplement could probably get rid of dandruff

anyone else agree with this theory?

Gothic Lolita
April 7th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I have thought about this a while ago too, but for me, it didn't work at all.My skin cleared up a little, but my scalp was pretty unimpressed. What worked better was a cream I bought at the grocery, which had maybe 5-10% zinc in it. It helps your skin heal and should prevent infection on small cuts. Applied to the spots on my scalp where it was aching in flaking the stuff really helped. Baby butt cream also has zinc in it, but it is so sticky that I really wouldn'T recommend getting it on your scalp. It also has, in most cases, mineral oil in it, and is very difficult to get out of hair.

Flynn
April 7th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the underlying cause of your dandruff. If you want to give it a shot, remember zinc and iron uptake compete, so don't overdo it, and be on the lookout for iron deficiency signs.