PDA

View Full Version : I hate my hair sometimes, want to chop...but I won't...

Speckla
April 6th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Just venting. My hair is so tangly and I'm afraid that I'm going to break it all or rip it out from frustration. I was soooo close to grabbing scissors tonight and hacking it off. But then I'd have to deal with the tears and frustrations of growing back out. :rolleyes:

julliams
April 6th, 2010, 07:07 PM
You could try having a trim. Perhaps some of the ends are splitting and causing tangling? Do you use cones? They could provide some slip and stop tangling. Do you have a Tangle Teaser? This is a little brush that has made a big difference to my daughter's hair. I use Body Shops wooden quill brush which also has a great detangling effect on my thick course hair.

Speckla
April 6th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I do need a trim but my hair stylist that I used to go to isn't available anymore. I live in a fairly small area and there are no other places that I trust to go to for a trim. I've been to nearly every salon in town and had not so great experiences. I shampoo once a week with Aussie Moist and use the conditioner with it. I think that I wait too long to detangle. I can't detangle while wet no matter how much conditioner I use. My hair is medium thickness and neither coarse nor fine. I have matting and tangling near the roots that's probably from the 100+ sheds per day that get trapped. I am probably going to break down and schedule an appointment with a Deva Salon in Atlanta....*sigh* and hour drive and $100 for a haircut seem steep but I think it would probably fix my issues.

Speckla
April 6th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Now my next issue is finding the extra hundred dollars and time....:)

Katurday
April 6th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Did you try clarifying? I get maaaajor tangles when I get buildup, and I get it with or without cones. Did you experiment with oils? Did you try ACV rinses (which could smooth the cuticle down enough to stop velcro hair).

Speckla
April 6th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I clarified this am. I used Aragan oil on my damp hair. Finger detangled and then used a widetooth comb. My hair is still tangled right now. I think it's wanting to just give me fits.

Pegasus Marsters
April 6th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Maybe a detangling spray would help?

NuclearMosquito
April 6th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I'm sorry you're having this trouble with tangly hair. I don't have anything important to add or any advice, but I hope it passes without you having to cut length. :flower:

Luckysock
April 6th, 2010, 09:29 PM
don't do it! mine was a tangly mess :S but as soon as I found the right care routine for me the tangling stopped - no cutting necessary!

just keep putting in the time to find the right product/ routine :D

spidermom
April 6th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Tangly hair is indeed a test of patience; hope you pass it.

Speckla
April 6th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Yes, patience, patience. I should change my nick. I'm just frustrated right now. I think it also has to do with the seasons changing. My winter routine worked well until now. It's spring and the humidity and other things have changed bigtime.

I had to work at my hair for about an hour tonight. I clip up different sections and worked them loose with my fingers and then followed with more oil. I also think it's because my hair is longer than it's ever been before and I am clueless now on how to care for it.

Spidermom, love the color!

LadyVictoria
April 6th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Is this a new issue or an ongoing problem? I live in GA too & our sudden "surprise! it's 91 degrees & humid as hell in April" weather has caused some changes in my hair. I have had to alter my routine quite a bit to get along with our constant climate changes this Spring. Definitely try clarifying before you get a cut/trim, I use the Aussie Moist conditioner & the cones build up on my hair over time which causes tangled, brittle & straw-like hair. Aftet I clarify, it's all good again for awhile. Also try regular oiling as well.

Speckla
April 6th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Yes, it's pretty new. I've had good hair all winter. I just looked at my ends and I have several splits. It's been 11 months since I cut my ends. It's definitely time for a trim - even 1/2" would help. I'm not really going to drive such a long way for a trim and spend that much money but I think I will buy a good pair of trimming scissors and S&D when I'm not frustrated.

BattahZ
April 7th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I hear you about tangles, especially in the back - tangles I get at the nape of my neck are a nightmare.

Do you use a detangler? I adore Kinky Curly Knot Today, it gives more slip than anything else I've tried and makes detangling so much easier. And I leave a little bit in, which seems to keep my hair a little easier to manage.

GlassEyes
April 7th, 2010, 08:01 AM
What are you using for a conditioner? o-o

We have a similar hairtype, and my curly hair frustrates me--but tangles are very rarely a problem for me when I use conditioner, even after shampooing.

halo_tightens
April 7th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I second what Pegs mentioned-- some of the detangling sprays are great, especially the ones that are meant for small children!

Speckla
April 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM
What are you using for a conditioner? o-o

We have a similar hairtype, and my curly hair frustrates me--but tangles are very rarely a problem for me when I use conditioner, even after shampooing.

Aussie Moist that goes with the shampoo when I do shampoo and Suave's Oceanbreeze when I cowash. I use Argan oil and longaide gel as leave-ins. Detangle spray might work good. Any brand recs?

lapushka
April 8th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I had a problem with tangling too quite a while back and then I switched to a cone conditioner (a really heavy cone free conditioner is fine too) and instead of WC I started to CWC. It solved the tangling issue. Your hair actually might benefit from having a 2 conditioner treatment and CWC is a lovely method. You can either CWC or do a nice DT right before you wash.

I was worried about cones at first too, but something with cones is far less damaging than not being able to guide a comb through your hair without pulling hairs out.

BrightEyes7
April 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM
My hair tangles very easily! I agree with lapushka... once I started with CWC washes my hair improved a lot. Also might I recommend detangling while in the shower before rinsing the conditioner.

I put a oil serum in my hair before detangling and that usually helps as well. I use Smooth and Silk. It can be found in the ethnic hair care section at any drugstore and it comes in spray form or a thicker serum form. I like both! http://www.folica.com/Smooth__N_Shine_d4571.html

This is the one I am currently using... It also has a thermal protectant if you actually heat style!

Hope that helped.

skarab
April 8th, 2010, 02:53 PM
If you do find something that works for you let me know! My hair tangles like mad. The only thing I can do is stand under a strong shower spray and tear through anything that doesn't separate through gentle coaxing. Otherwise I'd have a head full of dreads.

chopandchange
April 8th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Where are the tangles? Are they mainly on the ends of your hair, or all the way through? If they're mainly on the ends, then you probably do just need a trim.

You could try trimming it yourself. Once you pluck up the courage and try it the first time, it becomes easy (and it's free and you don't need to drive for miles!)

Juanita
April 8th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Also try braiding your hair in two braids for sleeping. And several combings a day to keep them at bay. Fingers and comb. Used to happen to me years ago.

GlassEyes
April 8th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Also try braiding your hair in two braids for sleeping. And several combings a day to keep them at bay. Fingers and comb. Used to happen to me years ago.
I just want to point out that the poster has -curly- hair. Judging from your avatar, if that accurately represents your hair type,you are not. :flower: This requires a different sort of care, and combing and braiding typically aren't solutions.

You might want to switch conditioners. I personally didn't like the aussie moist. Also, have you tried leaving in conditioner after washing? My hair would tangle like mad if I didn't do that...actually, it does. It sometimes got really bad, so I never go without it now. xD;