PDA

View Full Version : Teaching healthy hair practice

long.again
April 6th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Today I got a new wooden comb in the mail. I showed it to my 2½ and she said, "After my nap, we will rub some oil on it and in my hair and comb my hair because oil makes my hair feel good." I thought it was so cute that she knew we were going to cure the comb and then wanted to do an oil treatment in her hair also.

How has learning about healthy hair influenced the way you care for your children's hair?

zeldagirl7491
April 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I don't have children yet but I've been keeping a mental list of how I'm going to take care of my familys' hair someday. :)

TXbarbie
April 6th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I don't have kids either...but apparently my hair care is rubbing off on my boyfriend. The other day he proudly informed me that he was COing his hair too - using his usual
Pantene haha.

spidermom
April 6th, 2010, 04:39 PM
My youngest is 25. She loves my hair but hasn't picked up any of my habits. She likes to have hers high-lighted and flat-irons it 3-4 times per week. She keeps the length between shoulder and APL.

It's pretty hair anyway.

Bethie
April 6th, 2010, 04:56 PM
My daughter hasn't picked up any of my hair habits yet, however my son has. He asked me the other day if he could have oil in his hair too

rhosyn_du
April 6th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Oh my goodness. That's so adorable.

freckles
April 6th, 2010, 05:13 PM
The quote in the OP is so cute! :D

MonikaHa
April 6th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Mine is only nine months old, but I do not shampoo his hair any more, he is strictly WO, and gets loads of coconut oil put on his head. His hair just soakes it up.
Before WO, instead of soft curls, he had a fuzzy coarse mess. I hope he sticks with this habit.

ohwhataday03
April 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I have two boys, so there not way of teaching them about healthy hair. But my youngest has three 1/2 inch hair, and has to be told everyday to comb his hair before school. I think he wants it cut before spring break is over but not 100% on that. My MIL jokes about have a girl for a grandson. But his caves and has it cut. I say if he wants it that bad, he has to learn how to take care if it. I will ask his want he comes bake for my moms if he wants to keep it long and teach he how to keep it healthy.

IcarusBride
April 7th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I don't have kids but I think my sisters count since I live at home and pretty much raise them (both our parents work). There's 10-15 years age difference between us. The 9 year old strait out refuses to comb her hair and had our mom hack it off to ear-length so she wouldn't have to bother even combing it... The 6 year old, however, is much more interested in her hair. She always tells me "I want to grow my hair out to my tippy-toes!" However she got gum stuck in her hair a few weeks ago and without telling an adult went and cut a huge clump out the back of her hair... Now when I braid it there are several short pieces sticking out... I've used olive oil on her hair a few times and it makes it so much shinier and less frizzy and defines her beautiful natural curls, and she loves it. But mom says it makes her hair look greasy.

long.again
April 7th, 2010, 12:25 AM
ohwhataday03 My son started growing his hair out too, but it is so, so thick that he got horrible dandruff. I have never seen dandruff this bad. It was bleeding in spots. I can't believe I didn't notice. He was 3 at the time and he was into washing his own hair. So, I cut it all off and everything cleared up. When he turned four, he wanted to grow it out again so we took really good care of it, but again, it's so thick that he was always really sweaty so he asked me to cut it off. If he wants long hair, I'm all for it, but only if he's comfortable.

Thank you freckles and rhosyn_du, she is a cute girl and oh so funny. Her hair is just like mine when I was her age. I feel bad that she got the super fine slow growth gene but at least I know and we'll really care for her hair (and never cut it!)

long.again
April 13th, 2010, 12:43 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5201&pictureid=69303

I just had to share a picture of my daughter's bun today. Yes, that's a bobby pin used as a hair stick. :p

halo_tightens
April 13th, 2010, 01:16 PM
That is TOO CUTE!! :D

BrightEyes
April 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Since joining LHC I have been putting coconut oil in my 3 year old daughter's hair. Her curls are so soft and bouncy now. I'm so jealous!!

My parents were visiting us over the weekend. I usually cut their hair when they come, and as I was cutting my mom's hair I told her about coconut oil the CO method (her hair is very thick with loose curls). I gave her some coconut oil to try as well as some conditioner from my failed attempts at CO. She was excited and it felt good to tell her some things that can help her hair.

Dani
April 13th, 2010, 03:06 PM
That's awesome. :) I have a four year old dd, and she started not liking her hair washed/conditioned sometime in late summer last year (she has long fine wurly hair), and so it ended up not getting touched or wet much at all, just wet in the bath sometimes, and I kid you not, her hair hasn't been washed in any way since then. Her hair looks great every day, and we do NOTHING to it whatsoever. NOTHING AT ALL! :p

Her scalp hasn't been touched in.. how long is this now.. like 7 months now! I mean, I would totally wash her head in some way if her scalp was wonky in any way, but it looks fine all the time. There is no flaking, or lots of sebum, or anything- there's nothing but her scalp just chilling there, doing its own thing.

Her hair gets wet on the bottom half in the tub every few days, and we comb her hair every so often- every couple days or so, and I mist it and put in a little coconut oil on the ends once or twice a week. That's it. I so wish I could have hair and a scalp like hers, heh. She knows to be gentle with her hair and likes to put her own coconut oil on the ends usually, and does it just like me and how I showed her a long time ago (rub on the ends and length on each side with palms). She loves to wear her hair down all the time, and if we're going to be doing something very active then we play "beauty salon" and I put her hair in pigtail braids or a bun. I've always trimmed her hair every once in a while too. That's it.

Why do I have to do anything to my hair and head? It's not fair! :p

Dani
April 13th, 2010, 03:12 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5201&pictureid=69303

I just had to share a picture of my daughter's bun today. Yes, that's a bobby pin used as a hair stick. :p

Wow, that's a trip! 'Cause my daughter's hair is that exact color and the texture looks like it's the same too. Funny! :D And gorgeous.. ;) I've got a little pic of my dd Molly in my profile if you'd like to see. She's an angel babe. :sun:

Hey, is that Giselle from Enchanted in your new avatar? :D

TiaKitty
April 13th, 2010, 03:56 PM
This is so funny that this thread came up today!

My girlie who is 3-1/2 was with me today while I was brushing mine out. She mimic'd brushing hers, and while I watched, she took it up into a pony, twisted to a bun-ish lump, and then got a pen that I use as a hair stick and tried to put it in her hair! I was absolutely and deeply in love with her as I watched her mimic me!

My girlie who is 6 has very curly hair, and I never did wash her frequently, just condition, but since coming here I've learned some good tips for caring for her extremely curly hair. We have made a special bottle of anti-friz that's an adaptation of a recipe I found here. We spray her hair and finger comb it most of the time. This past Saturday, she got up before I did, and she was out in the bathroom as I dozed. I woke up with a start, panicking as I wondered what she was up to while I was asleep. I was so happy to see that she had sprayed her whole head to virtually dripping and was sitting there finger combing her curls!

Finding LHC has inspired me to start doing more things with my hair, and with my girlies' hair. We got a bunch of compliments after a small slumber party, when I did all of the girls hair in fancy styles, and we went to Walmart. It was so sweet to see them showing off their various braids and styles.

aprilmay
April 13th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Kids are such little sponges! This is good when they are absorbing healthy habits.

rchorr
April 13th, 2010, 07:11 PM
My daughter is 11 and has lovely classic length honey blonde hair. I'm SO jealous! Hee hee. But she TOTALLY gets the hair care regime. Anytime we don't do something quite right, we analyse it so it's better the next time :)

RCHORR'

MAO
April 13th, 2010, 07:34 PM
How cute :) I wish my daughter would pick up my habits. She still wishes I would buy the uneccessary chemical laden products at the store. She will stand and stare hoping I will notice and give in:rolleyes:. She did, however, claim my wooden brush as her own. Fine by me! If only she could detangle the underside of her hair by herself!

long.again
April 14th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Wow, that's a trip! 'Cause my daughter's hair is that exact color and the texture looks like it's the same too. Funny! :D And gorgeous.. ;) I've got a little pic of my dd Molly in my profile if you'd like to see. She's an angel babe. :sun:

Hey, is that Giselle from Enchanted in your new avatar? :D

Yep, that is Giselle, she has my hair dream. :o

You're little girls hair is very similar. My daughter has really, curly hair but (just like mine) it's so fine, you can comb a lot of the individuals out. I usually CO her hair every week or so. By the end of the week, her hair is still pretty curly but not like it is fresh washed or wet.
And, like your daughter, her hair is like perfect. She does get really frizzy and her hair ties in knots though. We are still waiting for the hairs on the sides of her head to really come in, it's so thin. Mine was the same and started to darken and thicken (slightly) around 3. I'm glad my hubby has issued a no cutting law in our house though - fine by me. :cheese:

TiaKitty
April 14th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Last night my daughter fell asleep with her head in my lap while I put coconut oil on her ringlets! I played with her hair for well over an hour. I never get to play with her hair!!!

girloctopus
April 16th, 2010, 04:23 PM
My son just turned two but I found him this morning in the bathroom very carefully brushing his hair with my tangle teezer. It was adorable.

I wish that people weren't pressuring me so much to cut his hair because he's a boy :rolleyes:

KBG
April 16th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I'm the designated hair parent but I try to teach dh and our oldest as much about caring for curls as possible in case I croak or something. I've even made pdf files, downloaded youtube vids (when that used to work).

I learned horrible practices (sleeping in hard curlers, too much heat, waxy greases & pomades, cotton scarves) growing up. I think my mom was overwhelmed and outclassed. lol. She was trying to treat my fragile type 4, dense hair like her shinier, more resilient, type 3 thin hair and it was a trainwreck.