PDA

View Full Version : Options for night time updos

cat_in_the_hat7
May 5th, 2008, 09:07 AM
For the longest time I have put my hair into a high scrunchie bun for sleeping. I have also been fighting a rough, crunchy, patch with split ends on the back side of my head. I have come to the conclusion that the way I wrap my bun is right where the exposed part of my bun is. So for now I have abandoned the bun. I tried braiding but since my hair is layered I get a lot of ends poking out and they are suffering. I'm contemplating getting a silk or satin pillowcase and continuing with the braid but wanted to see if anyone had any other recommendations.

justgreen
May 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I used to do this religiously, need to start again. An upside down braid. Turn your head upside down, as if you were going to blow dry the underneath hair. Gather and begin your braid at the top of your head. Tie it off with a safe scrunchie or band. Your hair stays neater and out of your way while sleeping.

lora410
May 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM
What about wrapping the braid around your head and pinning it? I love my satin gpillow case and it definetly helped with the tangle issue.

anna1850
May 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I sometimes separate my hair into pig-tails but instead of braiding them I just wrap a ribbon round them. I do it to straighten my hair a bit but it might be good for keeping the layers protected.

spidermom
May 5th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I usually do a top of head bun, and I've got splits in the bottom-most layer of hair too, even though I sleep on a silky-feeling pillowcase. I vary this with braids from time to time, but they're not as comfortable.

cat_in_the_hat7
May 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to try a few of them and see if it makes a difference. I'll have to see if I can hunt down a silk or satin pillowcase. I'm sure it couldn't hurt. Funny thing is I used to have horses and saw people put their horses tails in bags after braiding to protect the ends. I seriously thought maybe I should make my own. Anyone do anything like this?

lora410
May 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM
oh yeah you can also just use a satin sleeping cap. leave it lose, or even braid or bun it and put the cap on.

Anje
May 5th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I use a satin sleep cap. It's much more comfortable than resting my face on my polyester satin pillowcase (the thing does not breathe!), and it has the advantage of protecting all my hair, compared to my braids which would hang off the pillow or go under the pillow to protect from my tassel-munching cat.

It's silly-looking and definitely unsexy, but my hubby doesn't mind me sleeping in it and I know my hair isn't as tangled in the morning. (I only wear it when I'm actually going to be sleeping, of course. :wink:)

aglaiah
May 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I have also a lot of layers so my night braid always tangles during the night, i should rlly try that pillowcase

kimki
May 5th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I use a satin sleep cap. It's much more comfortable than resting my face on my polyester satin pillowcase (the thing does not breathe!), and it has the advantage of protecting all my hair, compared to my braids which would hang off the pillow or go under the pillow to protect from my tassel-munching cat.

It's silly-looking and definitely unsexy, but my hubby doesn't mind me sleeping in it and I know my hair isn't as tangled in the morning. (I only wear it when I'm actually going to be sleeping, of course. :wink:)

Hehe...'tassel-munching cat' :D

I wear a satin sleep cap and sometimes use a satin pillow case but I agree they can be so unbreathable. Alot of the time now I use a buff. I find it more comfy than the elastic of the sleep cap. Depends how I feel really. :)

Anje
May 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Both my sleep caps (both dirt cheap from the ethnic hair care section of Wally world, I think) are drawstring, rather than elastic. Pretty comfortable, and I keep the string on the loose side, just snug enough that they don't come off. They may leave a line on my forehead, but it goes away pretty quickly, in any case.

Oh, and I'm serious about the tassel-munching cat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=618&pictureid=6376). She'll grab the ends in her teeth and yank!

frizzinator
May 5th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I used a silk pillowcase for many years and it helps. I tried a sleep bun and also brailds, but I believe both contributed to hair breakage.

I recently started wearing a silk scarf tied up front at the forehead, with my hair loose inside, and I'm impressed ....no morning tangles plus less frizz.

cat_in_the_hat7
May 5th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I had never even thought of using a sleep cap. May be a better option than a pillowcase. Ilike the idea of being able to leave my hair loose but still contained. I'm sure I'll get some weird looks from hubby when I come to bed in a cap. Bad enough he already thins I'm obsessed with my hair.

lora410
May 5th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I had never even thought of using a sleep cap. May be a better option than a pillowcase. Ilike the idea of being able to leave my hair loose but still contained. I'm sure I'll get some weird looks from hubby when I come to bed in a cap. Bad enough he already thins I'm obsessed with my hair.

Mien to don't feel bad, they will get over it ;)

kimki
May 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Both my sleep caps (both dirt cheap from the ethnic hair care section of Wally world, I think) are drawstring, rather than elastic. Pretty comfortable, and I keep the string on the loose side, just snug enough that they don't come off. They may leave a line on my forehead, but it goes away pretty quickly, in any case.

Oh, and I'm serious about the tassel-munching cat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=618&pictureid=6376). She'll grab the ends in her teeth and yank!

Awww they are both gorgeous kitties. Sooo cute! :)

chrissy-b
May 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I alternate the bun on the top of my head with two smaller buns on the side. I haven't had any breakage yet, but I can see your problem (my hair has a lot of layers too and I don't have too many options right now considering I'm only at SL).

A satin pillowcase has helped tremendously with tangles and so has a silk scarf. I'll do my usual top o' da head bun and then wrap a silk scarf around my head. It does, on occasion, come off my head while sleeping, but usually not until the early morning when I should be getting up anyway, so for most of the night my hair is protected.

helynhighwater
May 7th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I've been wearing one of these (http://texasbeautysupplycom.stores.yahoo.net/chr7774t.html) every night over a loose bun for months and it seems to work pretty well. It's comfortable and stays put fairly well. They can be had for about 2 bucks at wally-world, so you're not out much if you try it and decide you don't like it.

cat_in_the_hat7
May 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I can't wear anything on the side of my head being a side sleeper I can't imagine it would be all that comfortable. Helynhighwater, next time I'm in wally-world I'll see if I can find one of those. I like the high braid I have tried but it really needs to be more contained and for the price can't hurt to give it a try.

OR Cowgirl
May 7th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Funny thing is I used to have horses and saw people put their horses tails in bags after braiding to protect the ends. I seriously thought maybe I should make my own. Anyone do anything like this?

Yep, I do exactly that! I made myself a satin pillowcase and a satin bag to drop my braid or banded pony into. I didn't get very fancy, I just use a large scrunchie to secure the top. Works great and leaves me with very nice ends in the morning!

Mariah