PDA

View Full Version : Should I Bang My Hair? *snicker at innuendo*

joiekimochi
April 6th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Right, ahem...right now I have chin-length face-framing layers and a layered, V-shaped BSL cut. I'm aiming for one-length TBL, but was flirting with the idea of getting a straight-across fringe to go with the TBL hair. If you look at my albums, you can see pictures of my hairspiration Chiaki Kuriyama to know what style I'm referring to.

So I have a couple of questions...does my face suit bangs? I have a small short oval face with a pointy chin. I had bangs once, a few years ago, but it didn't look very nice because at that time I gained a lot of weight after a car accident and bangs on my VERY round face was awful. A girl at a makeup counter also once told me to not get bangs because I shouldn't hide my face behind hair. But if I have completely straight, one-length TBL hair with no bangs, I might get mistaken for Sadako from Ringu.

But right now my weight has returned to its usual range, and I doubt it's going to fluctuate wildly any time soon and alter my face shape, so I'm wondering if bangs would finally be flattering on me now. Opinions, please?

TIA!!

ericthegreat
April 6th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Its really your choice of course. If you would like to cut in bangs and feel that it is just the right kind of style change that you need, go for it :flower:.

Now, if you are asking for my own personal advice as a apprenticing hairstylist, I would recommend that you should get longer, side-swept bangs instead. Straight, blunt cut bangs only suit long, oval shaped faces the best because since the face is already so long, the bangs help to shorten the look of the face.

But since you have a short, oval face with a pointy chin, straight blunt bangs would really overwhelm your face. It would make your naturally shorter face look even shorter. Actually, I really love the haircut that you have now without the bangs, it suits you very nicely.

Whatever you do decide to get, I'll be happy for you. :)

Purdy Bear
April 6th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Why not try a clip in bang/fringe first, in the style you want and that way you can see before its cut?

little_cherry
April 6th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hahahaha..... :D

Hmm...let's see *runs off to check your album*

I cannot give an opinion on the full blunt bangs, but I noticed you have a picture with side bangs...you look so stunning with side bangs. When I reach my goal, I'll be side banging it!

Fairlight63
April 6th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I looked at your pictures in your profile & I think that the one when you was getting out of the car & you had long hair & no bangs, you look very pretty without bangs - so my vote is - no bangs.

But, then I am particial to no bangs as I am trying to grow out mine right now & they are a pain, I WISH that I had NEVER cut them! so that is just my 2 cents :)

Juliannaissance
April 6th, 2010, 11:42 AM
You look great without bangs in my opinion, but if you really wanna try the bangs then go for it, your hair will grow back again if you don't like it. :D. Don't forget to update so that we know if you chose the bangs or not..hehe

spidermom
April 6th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I think you look much more beautiful than Chiaki, and I wouldn't advise the bangs. But I'm sure you'll do what you want - as you should - so have fun!

HintOfMint
April 6th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I second the clip-in bangs idea. Rules concerning face shape are useful guidelines but sometimes there are exceptions for no discernible reason. It's possible that even with a shorter oval face, blunt bangs could be quite cute. So try it out and see for yourself.
Cheers!

Zéphine
April 6th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't cut blunt bangs, but I'm sure it'll look nice either way and you can always change your mind later. (Though if you do cut bangs and decide you don't like them, the process of growing them out might be a bit annoying for a while.)

GlassEyes
April 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
You, uh, have bangs in almost all of those pictures? Side bangs, anyway. Do you mean straight across?

I'm fond of the pictures with sidebangs, but the one of you getting out of the car without them is pretty damn epic, so you could really go either way.

joiekimochi
April 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
You, uh, have bangs in almost all of those pictures? Side bangs, anyway. Do you mean straight across?

I'm fond of the pictures with sidebangs, but the one of you getting out of the car without them is pretty damn epic, so you could really go either way.

Yeah I meant blunt straight-across bangs!

I think I'll stick to side bangs. I don't really have bangs right now because my side bangs have grown out way past my chin (for some reason my bangs seem to grow 3x faster than the rest of my hair?!?!) so I called them "face-framing layers". I guess I'll trim those layers shorter so they'll become side bangs again. I'll also get a clip-in bang piece so I can get the best of both worlds (it was a great idea, thank you!) without the pain of growing them out! :cheese:

Tap Dancer
April 7th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I looked in your photo album. You look great with the side-swept bangs and without them. My vote is for no bangs; I think I like that look just a little bit more. Either way, your hair will look awesome! :)

Svenja
April 7th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I had a look at your photos and my opinion: no straight-across fringe. You look so beautiful with the side bangs. A "curtain" would only cover too much of your pretty face. I second the idea of the clip-bangs. You can wear this style as often as you wish without cutting.

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it!

Sweetbaby
April 7th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't bang them.. I can't see pics, but I am trying to grow out bangs again after having long side swept bangs (chin length or a bit above) .. no more!!!!

Ohh boy did I learn my lesson this time. My bangs grow slower than the back of my hair. So it was a really really bad thing for me to do.

You can do so much more with longer hair in front. You can pull it back if it annoys you , you can then wear it down at will. And I agree that most (generalizing) people look better without bangs. Some are just hot with them, but they have to have that certain face shape and I bet they get tired of them too. In fact, when I see actresses that have them.. the next thing I know they are growing them out so it's obvious it's a short term wish that one must wait forever to fix.

You can always pull hair back, but like someone else said, you can't grow it back overnight. It is absolutely tedious to grow them out.

Give yourself a bit of time and experiement with different things to feel like your hair is different without taking drastic measures. I bet you'll be glad you did.

Good luck though either way!!!

tralalalara
April 7th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I don't think it would look bad as long as it's not a super thick set of fringe. My little sister has a rounder face than mine, and her fluffy blunt bangs look fantastic, but only when they're slightly parted, or styled with a partition comb.