PDA

View Full Version : my new hair care routine - wad'ya think?

SophieSpector
April 6th, 2010, 05:37 AM
- NATURAL SHAMPOO 5X A WEEK FOLLOWED WITH NATURAL CONDITIONER + NATURAL LEAVE IN

- ONLY BRUSHING HAIR ONCE DRY BEFORE OIL OR AFTER LEAVE IN COND.

- COCONUT OILING 3X A WEEK + SCALP MASSAGE ( PRIOR TO HAIR WASHING LEFT IN OVERNIGHT)

- OLIVE OILING 2X A WEEK + SCALP MASSAGE ( PRIOR TO HAIR WASHING LEFT IN OVERNIGHT )

- AVACADO, EGG OR BANANA MASK 1X EVERY TWO WEEKS ( DO THIS INSTEAD OF OILING )

Sorry for the caps lock but I copied it from my notepad on my computer files.
I need to wash my hair often as I work out and I don't want to have a smelly head.
I think its simple, cheap and cheerful but I feel like i'm forgetting something...humm

My hair is kinda dry so i'm doing lots of light oiling throughout the week.

Felix_D
April 6th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Cut back on the shampoos! Workout sweat is mostly salt, which will dissolve in water. I have hair that's prone to the stinkys too... flip your head over in the shower and rub your scalp with your fingertips, loaded with (no-silicone) conditioner. I've managed to go from 2 washes/day to 1 wash/week doing this.

RavennaNight
April 6th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Have you done the routine yet or are you going to start this?

freckles
April 6th, 2010, 05:58 AM
What was your routine before? What have you changed? Bear in mind that if you change lots at once, you won't know which new things any results are attributable to. It would probably be better to change your routine gradually.

Gothic Lolita
April 7th, 2010, 12:38 AM
If your hair is really dry, you might want to look into CO washing instead of shampooing. Or diluting your shampoo with water. It will also get your scalp clean and non-smelly but won't be as drying.

xoxophelia
April 7th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I think the oiling sounds like overkill. After you shower just take a few drops of whatever oil and smooth it through your ends and then your length. If you do an overnight oil treatment once a week that should be more than enough imo.

aisling
April 7th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Cut back on the shampoos! Workout sweat is mostly salt, which will dissolve in water. I have hair that's prone to the stinkys too... flip your head over in the shower and rub your scalp with your fingertips, loaded with (no-silicone) conditioner. I've managed to go from 2 washes/day to 1 wash/week doing this.

So you just do a CO wash instead of a shampoo wash then. In my world (and for many other LHC:ers) that still counts as wash :)

To the thread starter, I have a greasy scalp and I also get kind of sweaty when I exercise. As I don't want to wash with shampoo every time, I've realised that I can just rinse my scalp every second time, that gets it clean enough until the next wash the following day. I keep the length braided actually and bend over and rinse my scalp, keeping the braid out of the water and dry.

Also, I think you have a lot going on there, deep treatments and oilings, something almost every day. That would be very exhausting to me, it would take so much time and attention, I'd have a hard time keeping up with a routine like that. My tailbone length hair is happy if I do just one oiling a week or every second week, more doesn't seem to be better. also, the more oils, condiitoner and leave in you use, the bigger the risk is of getting buildup, on me that usually means very dry, velcro like ends that stick to each other.

I'm not sure about the brushing, is that for detangling or for something else (smoothing, scalp massage)?

Bethie
April 7th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I do agree that the oiling is a lot. I have very dry ends and just oil after I wash and do a deep treatment once a week.

I must second the advice to try one new thing at a time, else if your hair rebels against something, then you will not have an idea of where to start to fix it.

Felix_D
April 10th, 2010, 12:12 PM
So you just do a CO wash instead of a shampoo wash then. In my world (and for many other LHC:ers) that still counts as wash :)

Oh, didn't know that. I'm still learning! :cheese:

lunagoose
April 10th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I agree with previous posts, I am no expert but shampooing hair 5 times a week will strip the natural oils from your scalp. The rest looks good. Good luck.

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm going to go against the tide and say that if you feel oiling your hair that much is necessary then i'd go for it. I often liked to wash my hair once a week and kept it heavily oiled from straight after washing until the next wash. This saved my hair to be honest. It does sound quite an involved routine with lots of washing, far more than i could be bothered to do