PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye colours...

Verybadhairday
April 6th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I used to be a natural platinum blonde, but as I got older it has gone darker. I have had my hair highlighted a few times recently, but the roots are getting darker and darker, so i'm going to make the transition into brown hair.
My question is, I've heard brown hair dye is better for your hair than blonde hair dye? Is there any science to that
Would brown dye do anything for my dry hair?
and, what do people think of mild brown hair with pale skin and really, really dark brown with pale skin?

Thanks

P.S does anyone know how many posts I need to see pictures/profile pages?

freckles
April 6th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I think brown hair dye is 'better' than blonde because generally, lightening is very damaging, and so should be kept to a minimum -- so the less your natural colour has to be lightened, the less damaging it is. I'm not a hair dye user, though, so I'm not sure.

I think both mid and dark brown can be flattering with pale skin.

You need 25 posts and moderator approval to see profile pages and albums :)

HTH :blossom:

Dars
April 6th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Dye is damaging but bleach is even worse. Brown (chemical) dye won't do anything for dry hair, it will just make it worse.

BelleBot
April 6th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Blonde dye is damaging because to lighten your hair it needs to be bleached/ you need to use peroxide on it. This is permanent and not very kind to your hair. Going darker is less damaging as you don't need to use peroxide. Providing you use semi permanent dyes you should cause minimal damage. The permanent dyes still contain peroxide regardless of colour, so still cause damage.

Good luck, and if you dye it yourself, generally it's best to chose a semi one shade lighter than you intend to go. Dyes don't always turn out the same colour as the picture, it depends on your hairtype, sometimes they turn out darker. It's always safer and easier to go darker gradually, as you don't want too go too dark and then have the hassle of trying to lighten it.

Verybadhairday
April 6th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the info everyone
I'm getting it permanently died by a professional so I realise this'll cause damage, but it needs to be done, so i'll have to deal with it :o

I'm getting an ashy shade of brown, not sure how dark yet, not having anything with golden pigments because it might go ginger, and my roots are really ashy too so hopefully it'll blend better

missmandy
April 6th, 2010, 07:10 AM
It's better, yes, because you don't have to bleach your hair. But it's still damaging, because it's harsh chemicals. Ever considered hennigo or just indigo?

GoddesJourney
April 6th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Actually, I hear that, although peroxide lightening is damaging to your hair, the amonia in darker colors (especially permanent ones) can really hurt your scalp and hair follicle over the years causing thinning. That's a good deterrent for me.

Verybadhairday
April 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't mind a bit of thinning to my hair, I already have 5 times more than I need :cool:

kwaniesiam
April 6th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the info everyone
I'm getting it permanently died by a professional so I realise this'll cause damage, but it needs to be done, so i'll have to deal with it :o

I'm getting an ashy shade of brown, not sure how dark yet, not having anything with golden pigments because it might go ginger, and my roots are really ashy too so hopefully it'll blend better

Getting it done by a professional is the best option. They know what they are doing with chemicals, and if you are going darker dye is only being deposited, rather than lifted. Lifting color is much more damaging than depositing. Box dyes are much worse for your hair than professional color. There are all sorts of exceptions but really, one round of chemical color is not the end of the world. There are plenty of members here with gorgeous hair who have their hair chemically colored.

KittyLost
April 7th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Brown hair dye isn't really that much better than blonde hair dye.
It's just because brown hair dye doesn't contain perioxide like blonde hair dye does and most box dyes don't contain ammonia anymore.
It's good that you are visiting a hair-dresser to do it!
It may take several tries of dying however depending on how long you've been dying your hair blonde, as blonde is quite a hard colour to cover.
You may find the dye fading specifically near the ends after some time.
But professional, mixed hair dye is a lot easier on your hair then box dye.

As for brown hair and pale skin, I say go for it!
I've managed to pull it off so I'm sure you can too :)

Verybadhairday
April 7th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks guys :)
When I ask my hairdresser about going brown she mentioned that she'd put a darker shade than I want on because the blonde will peak through and fade it.
My appointment isn't for 2 weeks yet, but i'll post about how it goes