PDA

View Full Version : Trims hurt

juliaxena
April 5th, 2010, 11:38 PM
No matter how small they are lol. I cut off half inch yesterday and I can't say I'm glad about lenght loss. Maybe it's because as you say you see every half inch difference at my lenght. That goes for growing as well as for cutting. I might cut off anouther half inch the next month to really get rid of the final "layery" parts.

Lunnafindel
April 6th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I totally know how you feel. I know I really should trim, but I don't want to lose those 3-4 inches - I mean, what if they never grow back? (crazy, I know, but it's an irrational fear) Wish me luck and courage so I can take that brave step myself...

ninelifewriter5
April 6th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Good luck in trimming, Lunnafindel! Just think of how much better your hair will look/feel after you do!

I completely understand what you mean. I had really bad ends a few months back and cut them off - I felt like I'd lost a lot of progress in just a few minutes. But the ends felt so much better for it that it was kind-of worth it.

Dars
April 6th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I dislike the length loss but I love, love, love the new fresh ends.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 6th, 2010, 05:40 AM
If i followed the flow and trimmed the damage/layers/fairytale ends, i'd be chin-length right now. But now i'm approaching APL :D I think it's best to reserve trimming till longer lengths, like BSL, unless there's some serious splitting.

I say stop trimming till you gain some length. your hair looks wonderful, regardless of layers and all.

Felix_D
April 6th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I hear ya. I just had a cut to style my shaggy-pixie-mullet to a bob that I can grow out, and it was like... 2 months of growing, GONE. :(

juliaxena
April 6th, 2010, 06:12 AM
If i followed the flow and trimmed the damage/layers/fairytale ends, i'd be chin-length right now. But now i'm approaching APL :D I think it's best to reserve trimming till longer lengths, like BSL, unless there's some serious splitting.

I say stop trimming till you gain some length. your hair looks wonderful, regardless of layers and all.

Except that you don't have damage, layers fairytale ends etc lol. And you have ii/iii hair. My hair looks thinner than it is with layers. They don't do me justice.

Madame J
April 6th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I just wanted to pop in and say that your hair is really growing! It looks great.

Arctic
April 6th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I have always loved trimming, and one of my biggest lessons since finding LHC has been starting to trim less, lol :D

Carolyn
April 6th, 2010, 06:36 AM
It's a 2 steps forward and 1 step back thing. For every half inch I trim, I have to wait a month for it to grow back. On the other hand, I've nice neat fresh ends and a thicker hemline. It's all part of the process of growing longer.

FrannyG
April 6th, 2010, 06:40 AM
juliaxena, we have the same hair type, so I know exactly why you want those layers gone. Honestly, it won't be long now until the layers are all gone and then it will be smooth sailing.

I think your hair is looking great, and I am really looking forward to watching your continued progress. :blossom:

myotislucifugus
April 6th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I actually found a mini milestone this weekend... I cut off an inch and a half on saturday... and didn't miss it.

I think that's a sign, when you can lose length and knowing what it does overall, the loss doesn't hurt.

Of course, it was only an inch and a half, and I'm actively trying to thicken my hemline...

juliaxena
April 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Thank you Madame and FrannyG.

hmmm
April 6th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I agree, your hair looks great! At least its long enough so you can forget about it for a while... you have to appreciate the end of all those in-between stages!

x0h_bother
April 6th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I hate trims too, but I know every time I dont get a trim i end up needing to cut off more later because I have a ton of splits and breakage. I call it preventative maintenece...:o)

spidermom
April 6th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I don't think I've ever noticed a difference with a 1/2-inch trim at any length, except for having fresh, less grabby ends.

juliaxena
April 6th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I agree, your hair looks great! At least its long enough so you can forget about it for a while... you have to appreciate the end of all those in-between stages!

Thanks hmmm. Oh lol, it still feels very in between to me. Maybe because I don't find this lenght becomes me. I find it looking strange beside my face. I can't wait till I can put it behind my shoulders so I can wear it down and still have my face free of hair lol.

hmmm
April 7th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Thanks hmmm. Oh lol, it still feels very in between to me. Maybe because I don't find this lenght becomes me. I find it looking strange beside my face. I can't wait till I can put it behind my shoulders so I can wear it down and still have my face free of hair lol.

I know what you mean! Hang in there though :flower:

SpinDance
April 7th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Your hair looks very nice. Shiny and smooth. I completely understand wanting both the length and the ends to be nice. For me it has been much better to give up length that I'm not happy with anyway than to try to keep it just because it's longer.

julliams
April 7th, 2010, 06:44 AM
I was loving the fresh ends last week and this week I'm a bit "meh - it feels the same again to me". I plan to trim only every 6 months if I have to and stretch them to every 8 if I can. I keep looking at my "before trim" photo and I do miss the length. Having said that, I don't miss the split ends I had so I guess it really was worth it.

It does hurt though.

Sunny_side_up
April 7th, 2010, 01:56 PM

I agree, had these niggling thoughts today that i should trim, but then tell myself my hair could do with more length before i consider it. Washed my hair this evening, coconut oil on the ends and have put it up. Keeping thoughts of trimming away until maybe after summer when my ends may need a little tidying:)

juliaxena
April 7th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Your hair looks very nice. Shiny and smooth. I completely understand wanting both the length and the ends to be nice. For me it has been much better to give up length that I'm not happy with anyway than to try to keep it just because it's longer.

That's true. I can't stand ugly lookin ends so even after I get rid of layers I will trim it. I'm thinking of letting it grow for two months now though. That way when my layers are gone I will still have half inch more lenght than now.

Lunnafindel
April 8th, 2010, 11:45 PM
AAAhhh! I did it! I cut 4" off last night! You're right. Trims HURT!! I spent all today brooding about it and thinking, "but...but...2 inches would have been fine, right? why did I have to do 4?" (I'm such a wuss about cutting my hair. maybe that's why it got so long...) But the tail of my braid is thick for the first time in a long time and I know it'll grow back better and stronger and thicker. My hair really did need it. It just...hurts... :sad:boohoo::wail:

juliaxena
April 9th, 2010, 12:32 AM
AAAhhh! I did it! I cut 4" off last night! You're right. Trims HURT!! I spent all today brooding about it and thinking, "but...but...2 inches would have been fine, right? why did I have to do 4?" (I'm such a wuss about cutting my hair. maybe that's why it got so long...) But the tail of my braid is thick for the first time in a long time and I know it'll grow back better and stronger and thicker. My hair really did need it. It just...hurts... :sad:boohoo::wail:

Aww it's OK. It will be better. I keep telling myself that too.