PDA

View Full Version : Is my hair colour too pale for me?

Rini
April 5th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I would love some opinions on my dilemma. Please read:

I have an interesting hair history (as some may recall!). I was bright henna red for many years and loved it, however the upkeep on my pale roots was too much. I then went through the long and painful process of removing the henna and regaining my natural blonde hair and silvers. As the years go by, my hair is getting lighter and lighter thanks to my numerous silvers. I am now at the point where I could truly be called a platinum blonde. I have some darker hair that grows right at the back of my head which I tint from time to time (roots only) to blend in with the rest, but the majority of my hair is VERY light. I also have very pale skin which is OK with me, but I feel that all of this does not go with my dark (hazel) eyes. I'm 37 yrs old now and as I age I feel more and more that my hair does not suit me. My mother has the most stunning pure white head of hair with pale blue eyes and it's wonderful :inlove:

Now before all the beautiful silver-headed ladies around here start jumping on me :patrol:(!!), I want to clarify that it's not the issue of going silver which is bothering me. I think silver hair is gorgeous and dearly wish I could carry it off. I don't even think it ages me that much, but I do think that it does not suit me. I guess the issue is mainly my eye colour and also the texture of my hair (wurly). Is it possible to have a hair texture that does not suit your hair colour?:confused: Probably not, but I feel the lovely natural sheen that comes with silver hair is better displayed on straighter hair.

So now I'm at a point where I'm considering dye. I've been looking into Elumen (with great appreciation from the helpful folk on the Elumen thread!) as I don't want to use any oxidative dyes. I've thought about a very slightly darker shade (slightly darker than the shade in my sig pic) to get me to a light brown. I think this would be a good compromise so that my roots are blended and don't require as strict maintenance as they would with a darker shade.

What do you think? Am I mad? Should I just leave it alone? Or do you think a slightly darker colour would look better?

I suppose I better put a pic in here so you can see my current colour and how light it has become since my sig pic (there is much natural growth since that was taken):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=847&pictureid=67876

I'm looking forward to reading some opinions!!

Added this 21st May 2010:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/missrini8/family/May-11-2010-12.jpg

The thread has become a bit long and I wanted to put this pic in the first post so you can see my progress. I went red last week with Elumen. I've removed it now and am back to where I started (although slightly warmer/darker shade of blonde). The experimentation is continuing.....

Longlocks3
April 5th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I think your hair/skin coloring makes your eyes absolutely pop out in a stunning way!

I think your current hair color is 'cooler' than your previous 'warm' toned hair(from siggy). But I'm a pretty firm believer in a persons natural coloring(even as it changes over time) being what makes them look best.

Cheers for pale people, we are a rare site sometimes!! ;)

Heavenly Locks
April 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM
First off, I think your shade is positively LOVELY with your fair skin. :flower:

and also, one day when your hair is mostly growing in silver...are you going to be willing to go through the transition from the dye?

Yarn Muse
April 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Hi Rini! I remember seeing your redhead photos in the H4H forum. I do think a slightly darker shade might suit you better since your skin is so pale (mine is, too!) The photo below, by your signature line, is just a bit darker...or at least looks that way. Maybe it's the lighting.

Could you do just a shade or two darker blonde and see how you like that? Or maybe photo shop first or try on a wig or something?

Juliannaissance
April 5th, 2010, 10:27 PM
You should definitely leave it alone. It looks beautiful already, the colors mesh well together. :) You can dye it only if you really want to, but my opinion is that it's gorgeous already. I love your pale skin and the light hair accompanies it wonderfully. Your eyes look gorgeous alongside as well. I too have hazel eyes. :D

adiapalic
April 5th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Honestly? I think your hair looks lovely with your milky white skin and dark eyes--and the wurls make it even better! There was a brown-eyed woman who attended my college--maybe in her late 50's?-- she had pale skin and waist length wurly hair that was white with very light silvers and some faint streaks of light blond in places. I was in awe of how beautiful it was. :flower:

ademtce
April 5th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Clairol Beautiful Collection - Semi Permanent Hair Color
non-oxidative color, it'll wash out as all non-oxidative will but this wont cause any damage - not a single bit.

they've got it at Sally's (they only color anyone should be buy there, there rest of it will destroy your hair) its relatively cheap and gets the job done.
more info here: http://killerstrands.myshopify.com/products/clairol-beautiful-collection-semi-permanent-hair-color

Nat242
April 5th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I think you and your hair look stunning, as is.

Shermie Girl
April 5th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I think that the contrast between your light hair and your darker eyes is striking. A lot of women pay a lot of money to get that look. ;)

My concern with you going darker is you would be getting into the same web as you did as a henna head. Trying to always match your lighter roots to your darker length. Whether it is brown or red, it is the same dilemma.

It is ultimately your decision. You need to have your hair the way you love it and it makes you happy and feel beautiful. Do what feels right for you. :bluebiggr

NuclearMosquito
April 5th, 2010, 11:01 PM
My two cents? I like it! Like someone said upthread, it is a cool-toned shade, and I think it works beautifully with your skin tone. I wouldn't touch it. :)

Aquamarine
April 5th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Rini, I think your hair goes really well with your hazel eyes.:) You look lovely with this contrast. I wouldn't bother going darker.:)

Rini
April 6th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks so much for your opinions :flowers: I just want to respond to a few comments:

HeavenlyLocks: the colour I would use (Elumen) is a semi, so it would gradually rinse out. I guess if I changed my mind then I could just stop using it. I wouldn't be able to guarantee that it would completely leave my hair though (once bitten with henna!!), so I still want to be sure that I'm making the right decision by starting using it at all.

Yarn Muse: yes, my colour in my siggy is darker. That is because it still had a small bit of henna in it and I was toning with a blue/purple toner which neutralised it to a sort of brown/blonde colour. I don't mind the colour it was then and would aim for that or a tiny bit darker. I have tried on a wig (it was very dark though!) and you can see the pic in my album. I quite liked it :D

ademtce: I am in Australia, so I cannot get all the products mentioned around here. I can, however, get Elumen which is a very similar thing (just from reading the info on the site you linked to). A semi is the only way to go for me.

Shermie Girl: Hi :waving: yes, the root thing is an issue always, but I hope that the semi will not cause as much problem as a permanent dye like henna would

I am still undecided! I have taken on board your comments and will continue to think on this :hmm:

countryhopper
April 6th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I think your hair (and you!) look GORGEOUS!!!

Your hair looks so healthy the way it is! But I understand wanting to try out other colors, i think it's a good idea you have about using a semi-permanent.

PS I love the little critter in your avatar!! What is it? (sorry if it should be obvious to me! lol)

Flynn
April 6th, 2010, 12:34 AM
http://uruobsession.com/forum/html/emoticons/jaw-drop.gif No! It's not too pale! You look stunning!!!

Flynn
April 6th, 2010, 12:39 AM
PS I love the little critter in your avatar!! What is it? (sorry if it should be obvious to me! lol)

(I'm pretty sure it's a brushtail possum, looking at that adorable little face!)

Nightshade
April 6th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I vote to leave it. You look striking :flowers:

joiekimochi
April 6th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Nooo don't change your color, I think it's beautiful the way it is!

LadyVictoria
April 6th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I think your hair color and skin tone look absolutely beautiful together, personally I would leave things as they are. And my goodness you do not look 37 at all, I had to keep going back & checking after I saw your picture! What's in the water where you live & can you send some my way?! Lol.

Rini
April 6th, 2010, 01:18 AM
(I'm pretty sure it's a brushtail possum, looking at that adorable little face!)

Bingo! Yes, that was my darling little Charlie when he was a joey (baby). He's an Australian brushtail possum. I raised him and kept him for 5 years until he died. Wasn't he adorable?

(Hi :waving: Flynn and Nightshade! It's been a while :) )

So it seems that (so far) the majority of opinions point toward not doing anything to the colour. Hmmm....

tcheney91
April 6th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Oh, please don't change it! I can only wish my hair would look as stunning as that!

manderly
April 6th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Rini, I'm going to be the voice of dissension, because that seems to be what I do best.

I don't think your hair color is doing you any favors in that photo. You do look washed out.

Now, I don't know if it's a different color from your siggy or just a lighting difference, but the gold and yellower tones in your siggy are gorgeous on you.

I think with the lovely Snow White skin AND the platinum hair you almost just get too much of the same effect going on. It all kind of blends together. Yes, your eyes "pop" because it's the only contrast you have.

In all honesty, I think the golden blonde in your siggy is so much more beautiful it just does SO MUCH for you (I mean look at you!! You look like a fairy princess in your siggy!).

My not so humble :twocents:

Tabitha
April 6th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I think you look stunning in your recent photo. I also think your sig photo is beautiful. You carry them both off well, but the feel of each is different.

Paradoxically, I think your recent photo looks LESS natural than the dyed sig pic. It's very striking and you look almost ethereal. The sig pic looks more natural and "healthy" if that makes sense.

Had you considered cassia or chamomile to add some warmth but without actual dye?

little_acorn
April 6th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I vote to leave it as your hair, skin tone and eyes are all stunning and look fabulous :flower:

EvaSimone
April 6th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Your hair is absolutely beautiful. In fact I've never told you this but you and your hair color and curls are on my top ten LHC hair idols list (that's kept in my head! :lol: ) I would be very sad if you changed it!

That being said I hope that you do whatever makes you happy. :flower:

janeytilllie
April 6th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Your hair looks beautiful now :flower: I think it suits you well :)

freckles
April 6th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I prefer the look in your sig photo -- like manderly, I think you really suit the gold colour and as Tabitha says you look 'healthy'.

That said, you look good with your natural colour too, and I'd be the first to say that nobody should have to do dye upkeep if they don't find it enjoyable, so you have to decide whether a shade that suits you a little more (if you agree) is worth the extra time and effort. For me, it wouldn't be, since your natural colour is still very nice (and I'm lazy). But based on appearance alone, I prefer the blonde :)

clairenewcastle
April 6th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I feel you should leave your natural colour as it is for Nature always produces the perfect balance.

Lemur_Catta
April 6th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I think you look beautiful both in your sig pic and in the pic you posted :) I would love to have your hair, even if my skin is very pale and my eyes are dark brown!
Anyway, even if you really want a change, I would not go light brown. I don't think it would look natural, and you would have to deal with the roots anyway. Why don't you try cassia to get a golden tone? It washes out, so you could just give it a try.

ETA: You look much younger than your actual age! I wouldn't have said you were a day older than 25!

Tornerose
April 6th, 2010, 04:24 AM
I think I agree with Manderly.
It may just be the the lighting and the clothes you wear in this recent photo, but something just seems alittle uhealthy on the recent one. Your sig-picture however looks like it came out of a fairytale book. The other pics in your album look much much better, so I think you should take more pictures of yourself in all kinds of lighting and clothing to see if there's something that makes it look worse than the rest.

I also went to look in your album, but I think the wig you have is way too dark for you.
(Glad to see there exists someone else who's as pale as me though :lol: )

But aren't there natural ways that can slightly alter the colour a bit? If you make it into a routine, it probably won't be too much upkeep with roots etc.
(First thing that comes to mind might be ACV, as I hear it can "discolour" light hair... And maybe some fruit-tea rinses?)

linda g
April 6th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I think your color looks beautiful and striking as is.... and some people pay big bucks to get that light!

RavennaNight
April 6th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I think your hair is perfect with your skin tone. Your siggy pic is different because not only is your hair darker, you appear to have a tan. You're very lucky because your silvers don't even look silver to me. I don't even see them? It blends right in with the platinum blonde.:)

Liluri
April 6th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I think you look glowing, and healthy in your signature picture and I think you should do what makes you happy :)

Purdy Bear
April 6th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I think your current hair looks totally awesome, and goes with your pale skin. It might not be your hair or skin tone but the colours you wear with it that make it look weird to you. Some colours will make you look sicker while others make you look glowing.

Before you take the step to do anything about your beautiful hair, I would try out different colours against your face in good daylight, to see how it makes you look.

The old seasons used to be Autumn, Winter, Summer and Spring, and they do change depending on skin tone and hair colour. I used to be Autumnish but now Im more of a Winter. It basically means you look better in certain colours. I think its the warmth of tone you need, which you can get from clothes without touching your hair.

RavennaNight
April 6th, 2010, 04:38 AM
I would add that maybe it's the shirt? When I was pale and blonde, fuscia and other bright shades would really wash me out. Just a thought...

BelleBot
April 6th, 2010, 05:05 AM
You and hair your look stunning. I do agree with what a few others have said that you need a little bit of warmth somewhere perhaps. Personally I wouldn't touch the hair, it's gorgeous. I'd just use a little bit of blusher to warm up your skin.
The main issue with that photo is you have a very bright pink top on which is a bit too much of a contrast with pale skin and hair. So makes you look a bit drained.

gmdiaz
April 6th, 2010, 05:40 AM
You are such a beautiful lady! And I love your dark eyes and light hair!

You do need a warmth somewhere. . .at least in the photo.

Just some thoughts for you:

I'd try going with a warmer colored shirt & warm up your make-up pallet (peach or honey), just to see if that does it. Take another great photo and look at the two to compare.

If you decide to warm up your hair, only do a honey toned glaze. . .nothing very different from what you have now. Your hair is beautiful.

Think you just need a VERY minor color corection to get the contrast you're thinking about.

MerryKat
April 6th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Rini - you were stunning with your henna red, but your own natural colour is even more amazing. Your silvery wurly hair frames your face with your beautiful pale skin and allows your eyes to really be your central feature - absolutely gorgeous.

Maybe try softer more pastel colours - perhaps the bright colours are too strong with your softer colouring now.

I would not change a thing if I were you - any colour you add is going to be a pain with the upkeep. If you really want a slight change, maybe try a cassia gloss which would add more gold to your colour.

myrrhmaiden
April 6th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I think of Gwen Stephani. She not only gets away with this look, but is a huge icon for a lot of people.

I wouldn't say the color is too pale, but perhaps just slightly on the cool side for you.
I do prefer the siggy color, but the present color is not begging to be changed IMO. I think you could leave it as is quite successfully. I would have to agree with others that perhaps cassia/chamomile/catnip would be your best options to ever-so-slightly shift towards warm tones.

Tap Dancer
April 6th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I like your hair, but I think the darker blonde in your sig pic looks better. Light brown might drive you nuts when the roots come in. You won't notice the roots so much if you only go a shade or two darker than it is now.

sally_neuf
April 6th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Wow! I have never seen that skin-hair combination!!!
I think you look gorgeus, you just look like a fairy queen :blossom:

but, if you really feel you need to add a little color this summer (well, in australia is like, winter? no? Not sure!) I would vote for a little cassia gloss like someone already suggested :o

FrannyG
April 6th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Rini, I know how it feels to think one is washed out when the silvers come in, which is why I keep colouring my hair, and frankly, I won't stop.

Having said that, it is a commitment, and no matter what type of dye you use, the roots will show.

If you do decide to colour, I suggest no darker than a medium blonde. Light brown is really, really dark compared with what you're used to. And the white roots will show up within the week. (Ask me how I know :o)

If you stick to medium blonde or lighter, you won't have that problem. The roots will not show up so much, I have discovered.

In any case, I think you look lovely as you are, but again, I do understand how you feel and how you feel is what is the most important. It's a conundrum, isn't it?

I'm eager to know what you decide. :blossom:

MsBubbles
April 6th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I think your current hair looks totally awesome, and goes with your pale skin. It might not be your hair or skin tone but the colours you wear with it that make it look weird to you. Some colours will make you look sicker while others make you look glowing.
Before you take the step to do anything about your beautiful hair, I would try out different colours against your face in good daylight, to see how it makes you look.
The old seasons used to be Autumn, Winter, Summer and Spring, and they do change depending on skin tone and hair colour. I used to be Autumnish but now Im more of a Winter. It basically means you look better in certain colours. I think its the warmth of tone you need, which you can get from clothes without touching your hair.

I would add that maybe it's the shirt? When I was pale and blonde, fuscia and other bright shades would really wash me out. Just a thought...

Yes! I agree with both of these. I don't think you look unhealthy in the first photo though.

But Rini...something in your post made me go 'ahah!'. What you said about how your Mother looks so good with her platinum hair and BLUE eyes...as if you could only pull it off if you had those blue eyes. No. You are also pulling it off beautifully.

Honestly, if it were just down to those two photos discussed here then yes I might be tempted to agree that the lighter hair is too light. However, I have seen other photos of you with your blond hair and you don't look washed out or unhealthy in any of them!! And I do much prefer that color on you to the henna/red.

I think the bright pink photo is just not great lighting. That's all.

missmandy
April 6th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Wow! You're beautiful! You look like a prettier, less intense version of the White Queen from the new Alice in Wonderland. :D

Altocumulus
April 6th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I think it looks beautiful as is! I love the light, cool ethereal blonde, and I think it goes well with your skin tone. What color was your hair as a child? Many of us ash blondes were that near platinum color when we were young, and it looked good then (so good that we often try to recapture it with bleach as adults), so it will look equally good later.

skay
April 6th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Rini,

Your currently hair color looks very nice. You can pull it off pretty easily.

Some have said that the golden color looks better in your signature photo. However...

Consider this:

1. In your current photo, if you made your hair darker it would probably look a little "fake".

The lighting especially in your first picture, your complexion and even your age (thus skin, eyes, hair, etc.) are all different than the signature photo.

Be careful of dye making your hair color look like a not-so flattering dye-job.

That said, maybe a semi-color thing is something you can try if you really want (but I don't have any experience on how long it takes to wash out, how it affects one's hair, etc.).

In any case, you've got great looks! :)

Nightshade
April 6th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Oh, and this occurred to me. The White Queen in Alice has the pale hair with pale skin look and I thought it was amazing:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2612/3747164970_4550ba34de.jpg (http://www.fullhalloween.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/alice-in-wonderland-2010-poster6.jpg)

That said, I do think your siggy pic is pretty as well and I do think if you did chamomile and cassia you might be able to warm it up a bit without going to dyes :)

spidermom
April 6th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I think you do look a bit washed out in the photo that you posted, but I've seen other photos, and you don't look washed out in all of them. I think that you and your hair color are lovely, but this isn't about what I think. Do what will make you feel best.

Babyfine
April 6th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Honest opinion? I LIKE your new photo. I don't think you look that washed out to me. It looks very natural, and very pretty!
I like your signature photo, as well, with the more golden color.. If you did dye, I think going a golden blonde might be the way to go. I thought your henna red looked great, too, but any darker color you would have that root touch up to deal with all the time, which as you know gets tedious.
My natural color is about a shade (maybe less) lighter than my avatar picture.(I color with a demi-permanent) I have very fair skin and dark brown eyes, and now I have about two grey spots coming in around my face(20% maybe) I know exactly what you are saying about feeling washed out, as that's the only reason I color my hair, I don't like that lighter hair coming in, I feel it just washes me out.But most of my hair is still brown so I can slack off a lot on root touch ups.
Once I start getting mostly silver-I'm going to be looking at that Going Grey lLooking great site a lot- and I hope I can quit coloring, and learn to love the silvers.
I think silver hair is actually very pretty-if only I could like it on myself.
I agree with what others are saying about maybe having to wear different color clothes with the lighter hair, that's probably why I don't like the grey on me- all my clothes are geared towards an auburn hair color.

Kimberlee
April 6th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I am in total AWE of your natural color/look! It is absolutely stunning. I too have white/platinum - and it's coming in at an alarming rate. My skin is quite pale as well (although my skin isn't as lovely as yours - I still have "issues" at 40 - sigh...). I am a bit cursed as I have quite dark hair. I'm over 50% white now, but the contrast with my dark hair is not something I can go into gradually. I think i'm going to have to wait until I'm almost 100% - my white is coming in chunks - my front is white and my back is dark. UGH.

All your looks have been lovely, but had I your choice, I would be THRILLED to be natural!

Shicurls
April 6th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I think you look beautiful with your natural haircolor. That's all! :flowers:

Kaileida
April 6th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Well, the picture literally made me gasp. So my vote is for leaving it. ^_^

Rhiannon7
April 6th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Fair skin and fair hair, lovely! embrace the color and shine. when i was younger i bleached and colored to get your exact shade and it damaged my hair terribly, enjoy the color so many desire, and in you it's natural! My cousin who has an olive complexion has your exact shade and she bleaches and colors every month, she looks good but would look better with reddish hair. plus her hair would grow if she did not damage it so much.

i love your shade, i am a firm believer in trying to keep the natural shade you were born with, even if it is with henna and Cassia (for me.) keep growing it as pale as ever and embrace the fairness! I am also starting to get spots on my face from the sun damage of previous years and wish i had such fair, even skin. you are beautiful just as you are.

Sisko
April 6th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Oh my, very pretty (you and your hair alike)! I think your natural colour does you more favours than a darker one; this gives you a more subtle but refined kind of beauty. It would be a shame to dye when it looks so good and you've spent so long growing it out, especially considering the upkeep.

Much like Nightshade, I immediately thought of the White Queen in Alice. :flower:

Pagancat
April 6th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I think you look beautiful. Your light hair and pale skin together with your dark eyes is stunning and out of the ordinary. i wouldn't change your hair. I'm sure you get many admiring glances when you go out that you probably don't notice!

If you're looking for something to give yourself a different look once in a while or just for fun, If I were you I might look into getting a pair of blue contact lenses, since you mentioned how much you like your Mom's blue eyes with her white hair. Or lavendar lenses to get Liz Taylor eyes - that would be3 cool! Just a thought.

Isilme
April 6th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I think you look good in both shades (but red is my absolute favorite!:)) if you want something a little bit darker I would also vote for cassia. That would also be good for your bleached ends.
ETA. how do you get your skin to perfectly smooth and pale? It's amazing! I wouldn't have guessed 37 if I didn't know your age.

MandyBeth
April 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM
If I could get my hair to your lovely cool blonde shade, I'd be rocking it!!! I'm a fellow pale skinned girl with one dark eye, one light eye. The coloring that looks good in extremely light/white shades or in black shades.

Katurday
April 6th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Your recent pic makes you look like a fairy or some delicate magical forest creature. The wurls add softness to the look, making you not look like an ice princess. The second picture looks more "natural", but who wants to look like something that happens in nature, when your natural state looks magical?

loralie
April 6th, 2010, 08:41 PM
What about using catnip (or was it chamomile? Where is ktani when you need her!) for a light stain? I know it enhances yellows/blondes, and rinses out after a few washes.

Also, when I use castor oil on my (dark brown) roots, it does give them a gold-ish sheen. Try it!

Either way, and in all honesty, you have no idea how many girls would kill for your hair colour. Who pay thousands of dollars to obtain and maintain it. I understand being worried about contrasting with your skin but it's beautiful the way it is! Coming from a near-black haired girl who killed her hair when she was younger trying to get it to a light blonde ;)

YesitsReal
April 6th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Wow! You're one of those rare people that can pull off platinum! Congratulations! ::thud::

I would love to have hair that color, as I'm already a pale-skinned blonde. I'd have to ruin my hair to make it look like that! :P

peronella
April 6th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I think you and your coloring is gorgeous. one of the most beautiful girls I've ever met is colored just like you with very very light hair and skin and hazel eyes. she's beautiful, she looks like an angel.

your eyes pop like crazy, its a more unexpected combiniation than blonde with light eyes, and its very strikingly beautiful.

Sorry for the over-enthusiasm, natural blondes are kinda rare where i am

long.again
April 7th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Here's my thought:

If you are trying to go natural, perhaps with the belief that dye is not good for your hair or because you are embracing your silvers, then go with it. I am a firm believer that your natural hair color is perfect for you. I think your hair is stunning, especially with your coloring.

However, if you are not anti-dye, then go for it. But, keep in mind, you will have to keep it up by dying every few weeks/months. The thing is with really light hair is that, even if you use temporary dye, it will linger. So really consider your decision.

Perhaps wait until after the summer and see how your skin/hair looks then.

Aer
April 7th, 2010, 12:03 AM
No, you are stunning. Your coloring makes me think of winter moonlight.

lundmir
April 7th, 2010, 02:08 AM
You look absolutely beautiful with hair that light.

Charlotte
April 7th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Hello Rini, :)

I think that your colour combination is very unusual and strikingly beautiful! I would leave everything as is. :D :blossom:

Rini
April 7th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Wow, so many responses! Thank you all soooo much!! I really do appreciate every single comment, although I don't feel as if I am worthy of some of the compliments :o (my complexion is by no means perfect: wrinkles and the occasional zit! I keep as pale as I can with the liberal use of sunscreen and am never without my parasols)

I want to explain my siggy pic a bit: it was taken about 2 years ago and my henna had been removed to a great extent (ie bleached) and I was using toners over the remainder to try and counteract the orange. My virgin hair had not grown through very much so it was definitely an overall darker shade back then, however it was still quite ashy blonde and I think the lighting in that particular photo might be misleading. It does appear warmer and darker there than what it actually was, however I DO like that colour and I think it would work for me now.

I also want to comment about skin tones. I am very pale, however my underlying skin tone is quite yellow. My hair colour is quite cool/ashy and for those who agree that "nature knows best" when it comes to colouring, this combination seems odd to me. I do feel that warmer toned hair would compliment, but if I wanted to have hair like that I would be dyeing it (and therefore it would be unnatural). Food for thought.

Many have also said that perhaps my shirt is not right for me. Perhaps that is true and I'm not doing myself any favours with that particular fashion choice, but I do really love that fuschia colour and I was "feeling" that colour on that particular day. Looking at it now, I guess it's a colour I really shouldn't wear too much :rolleyes:

With regards to Cassia/catnip/herbal rinses, yes I have considered it. I think that Cassia would result in something a little too brassy/yellow for me. I have already tried catnip (with Ktani's help!) and found no colour result and it was quite a time consuming process for me to be done on a routine basis. I am very interested in rosemary and sage rinses and have been reading about people's experiments with it, however there does not seem to be much colour difference reported (at least around LHC).

Finally, it is true that we always want what we haven't got. I have always dreamed of richly coloured, luscious hair but I was born with the opposite and I will never have the depth of colour I dream of (unless I suddenly develop a love of root maintenance!). For those who said they admire my hair, my admiration of yours is even greater!

OK, I have just a few responses:

manderly: I REALLY do appreciate your honest opinion very much! It is what I hoped for :)

missmandy, nightshade, sisko: Thank you for the compliment but I'm not sure I want to look like the White Queen! (well, maybe it would work for me if I were 15 years younger and got to wear such lovely dresses!). Her eyebrows are very dark aren't they? Ironically, I dye mine darker too so they don't disappear into my pale face :o )

Babyfine: I love the Going Grey site too :inlove: Such beautiful ladies with their silver hair!

long.again: yes, I am hesitant because I know that any dye (even semi) may be permanent on such pale (and porous!) hair as mine is. We are heading into Winter here now in Australia and I am moving to Italy in a few months so I really wanted to make some sort of decision before then. Still, I guess there is really no rush.

rach
April 7th, 2010, 03:55 AM
catnip, henna gloss (very low henna ratio), warm low lights (not my much) - just to warm it up maybe?

I wouldn't wonder too far from you natural colour as you mentioned roots and it does suit you. :flower:

Aditi
April 7th, 2010, 04:13 AM
According to me your skin tone and hair color are perfect match, i wouldn't change a thing :flower:

Madame J
April 7th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Personally, I think you look like an angel, all white and soft lighting. But that's just my opinion. If you feel washed out, maybe try some cassia or catnip to warm things up a bit without darkening?

florenonite
April 7th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I think your hair and skin look absolutely beautiful together, but then I'm partial to very fair skin and cool-toned platinum hair.

Indigo Girl
April 7th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I've always loved your different shades, Rini ~ :D

I think that's a great color for you; you have a face and skin color that I think would complement any shade. :agree:

BelleBot
April 7th, 2010, 06:27 AM
I also want to comment about skin tones. I am very pale, however my underlying skin tone is quite yellow. My hair colour is quite cool/ashy and for those who agree that "nature knows best" when it comes to colouring, this combination seems odd to me. I do feel that warmer toned hair would compliment, but if I wanted to have hair like that I would be dyeing it (and therefore it would be unnatural). Food for thought.

That's the exact reason why I dye my hair. Olive/yellow skin tones despite being very pale. And dark ash blonde natural hair colour. Just looks odd, unless I spend a lot of time in the sun which brings out golden highlights, cheers mother nature. So I use red tones to warm my hair up which stops me looking too sickly. Though I'm a bit on the orange side at the moment. :p

Kiraela
April 7th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Just going by the photo... the hair/skin/eyes combo is stunning as it is!

FrannyG
April 7th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Rini, I know I won't win any friends by saying this, but I am another who believes that nature doesn't always know best. I know that you are familiar with the colour wheel, and I am convinced that silver hair works best with "winter" people. The "white queen" look is not for everybody.

I'm hearing you say that you don't feel at your best with your current colour. You're a lot younger than I, but I do know how it felt when my colouring started to feel "off". I didn't like the way I saw myself when I passed a mirror. I feel much more like "myself" with a hair colour that makes me happy.

And 1 hour every 6 weeks is not that big a commitment to me.

I say, go and colour it. Perhaps try a medium neutral blonde shade. I think it will provide you with just enough colour without causing really obvious roots. As I said in an earlier post, light brown is a lot darker than you think, and your roots will pop really quickly with that shade.

I can't help you with the kind of dye you're looking for, as I use regular box dye from the drugstore, which I know you don't plan to use.

And I agree that cassia might not be the best option for you. It can be quite yellow on pale hair.

Okay, I'm ready to duck now. :p

Tabitha
April 7th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Rini you don't seem to be convinced by all the compliments you've had here (and they are all heartfelt, at least mine is, as I prefer not to comment when I don't think things look nice). It's true that we aren't seeing you in real life, in different lights and in different colour clothes so we are only judging by a couple of snapshots in time.

I'm not sure whether your objection to dye is because you feel it might be damaging, because the upkeep would be expensive/timeconsuming or because you feel a commitment to the ideal of "natural".

As Franny says, not everyone feels happiest with the hair that just grows out of their head. I find my natural ashy brown to be rather drab and it makes me feel washed out and almost invisible. My solution is to have subtle lowlights in a mix of shades very close to my own. It gives a bit of interest and texture to my hair and suits my skin tone more, makes my eyes sparkle (so I'm told). Regrowth isn't very noticeable and I'm only just about to have it redone, since November. With lowlights (as opposed to bleached highlights) new growth shows as more of a gradual fade than a sharp demarcation.

BlackfootHair
April 7th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I think you look absolutely amazing in this pic (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=847&pictureid=34795). I think the first pic just looks off because of the lighting. Perhaps take another pic in the same shirt in different lighting environments??

GlassEyes
April 7th, 2010, 07:58 AM
From what I remember, you looked great as a henna head, and you look great now. :shrug:

I think you'll look fine no matter what you decide. If you think you don't look great now, dye. I really like it, personally, but it's not on my head--and I'm biased towards light-ish/turning white hair. :P

jel
April 7th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Personally, I love it! :D If anything, I would lighten your eyebrows a tad... However, it's really up to you - if you feel like dying your hair, then do it! But remember strand tests if you haven't tried Elumen before... Some semi/temporary dyes can be quite persistent on porous hair,

christi.adell
April 7th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I only wish my natural color was that beautiful. I've tried so many times to get my hair that color (with lots of damage of course so I've given up on that). I for one think pale skin and pale hair looks so awesome.

But do what you want! You can always change it, in the end it's just hair. It always grows and can be changed.

spidermom
April 7th, 2010, 09:46 AM
The picture Blackfoothair posted - wow! You look incredible. If you decide to color your hair, try one shade darker. I don't want to see a post about how OMG; you dyed your hair and now it's too dark - how can you lighten it up. Well, actually, I'm willing to see a post like that. But in this case I think it's best to proceed with caution.

Or go wild! I did.

frizzalot
April 7th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I think brown eyes look great with light coloured hair, your eyes really stand out.
You could try using an image editing software to see how your hair looks darker.

Go with whatever makes you happy.

Rini
April 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Rini you don't seem to be convinced by all the compliments you've had here (and they are all heartfelt, at least mine is, as I prefer not to comment when I don't think things look nice). It's true that we aren't seeing you in real life, in different lights and in different colour clothes so we are only judging by a couple of snapshots in time.

I'm not sure whether your objection to dye is because you feel it might be damaging, because the upkeep would be expensive/timeconsuming or because you feel a commitment to the ideal of "natural".

Tabitha, I don't doubt the sincerity of any of the comments on this thread (positive or negative) and my apologies if it seemed that way. I find all the comments to be very helpful and they've brought up a lot of points I had not thought of. So, once again, thank you all :flowers:

My objection to dye is not because of damage (I don't intend on using anything damaging) and not because it's not natural (I'm not convinced that natural colouring is best), but because I think that I may live to regret it and I really want to think hard before I do something that may be irreversible. Experience has taught me well :rolleyes:

Spidermom: AWESOME colour you have there. I was going to PM you, but I'm commenting here now :D I think it looks amazing and really unusual. May I ask what dye you used?

Incidentally, does anyone have any experience with rosemary and sage as a darkening solution? When I :google:ed it, the reports looked promising, but there does not seem to be much success with it around here :confused:

I've had the comment (privately) that it's hard to see where my face starts and my hair ends :o I've taken that in a positive way (as it was meant!) and have to agree that part of me feeling "washed out" is that my face seems to blend into my hair, if that makes sense.

Fractalsofhair
April 7th, 2010, 04:31 PM
If it bothers you, cassia might warm it up a smidge. Personally, I think it looks lovely, but we are only looking at photos. I think pale blonde hair looks great with wurly hair, it looks more natural than bleached out hair flat ironed hair.

spidermom
April 7th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I used the Punky brand by Jerome Russell. (at least that's how I remember it; the jar is upstairs)

I really needed to shake out of my rut of cautioning everybody to stay natural "or else". Or else what? I'm not sure what I was afraid of, but I'm loving my color change.

LadyJennifer
April 7th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I like it, I think you look lovely!

If you do decide to go a tad darker, couldn't you just use cassia? I think it washes out too....

Tabitha
April 7th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Tabitha, I don't doubt the sincerity of any of the comments on this thread (positive or negative) and my apologies if it seemed that way.

Sorry my post came out kind of wrong - what I meant I suppose was that although our compliments are sincere, you still seem unsure and we can all say whatever we like, and really mean it, but if YOU don't feel convinced that your present look is beautiful, what we say doesn't matter because you don't feel happy about it. And you are the one who matters! :flower:

Gypsy
April 7th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I used the Punky brand by Jerome Russell. (at least that's how I remember it; the jar is upstairs)

I really needed to shake out of my rut of cautioning everybody to stay natural "or else". Or else what? I'm not sure what I was afraid of, but I'm loving my color change.

*jumping in for a mini hijack*
Spidermom- I saw your pic in your siggy in other posts but couldn't find an actual thread you may have posted an update or announcement or whatever, so I'm just saying "I love the color" here in this thread!!
*jumping back out*

chloeishere
April 7th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Okay, you are probably going to think I am an insincere flatterer, but I am dead serious.

I totally thought the picture in your signature was an actress, who I recognized but couldn't recall the name. I mean that as a compliment-- you are gorgeous!

I think your hair color looks awesome now (though it was beautiful then, too), it looks great against your complexion, and it makes your eye *POP.* I would definitely not change it, if I were you. I know it's a big contrast between the pale skin and hair with dark eyes, but trust me, it works. Before I had seen the pictures, I would have suggested darker eye brow pencil to accentuate your eyes, but I can see that you already do that, or your eyebrows are naturally dark. That is all you need, the contrast is stunning.

ETA: If you really, really want to try out a darker blonde, I would try doing cassia as a test run. You would probably want it pretty weak as it will definitely show up well on your very light color, maybe try test strands. I have never seen cassia last more than a month on anyone, so it will DEFINITELY be temporary, which you can't be certain of with any type of commercial dye, in my experience.
I think it's stunning as is, but I also remember when my color was not good for my complexion (bright orange after color fixing, oy vey), and how it made me feel. Your color looks awesome with your skin to me, that's not what I'm saying, but it is YOUR perception that is most important here.

princessp
April 7th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I am one of the few who also agrees with you about the washed-outness of your color, but this could simply be the one photo I am looking at. I really think the little warmth in your siggy hair is quite nice. I agree with everyone here that your color (and you) are gorgeous, but if we are doing a comparison of the two pictures (the one you attached and your siggy), I really think the warmer one is better. With that being said, if you decide to stay natural it will probably be better for your hair and you'll still be a stunner down there in Oz.

ETA: I like the idea of using a bit of cassia to warm it up!

Blueglass
April 7th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I think that you, like most people with gray, need to concentrate on more moisture, and making sure you ends are fairly blunt. Cassia could be good too, because gray can be weak. Personally I find cassia does not color my gray at all, maybe you will be the same way, but it can help to make your hair shiner and stronger. If it does not color your gray you can have the best of both.

Yarn Muse
April 7th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Rini,

I was one who liked the bottom siggy photo better...but I do think you are beautiful in all your photos! I have dark blonde hair with a few grays and do weak henna glosses to make the grays golden. Could you use a weak henna gloss...maybe mixed with some buxus if you want it cooler? I know that would be permanent, but it wouldn't be red and it wouldn't have to be that much of a color change. If you strand test first, you could experiment to get a color you like. Just a thought, though maybe you're trying to stay away from plant dyes for good...

Keep us posted on what you decide, and if you change your color, please share photos. Happy growing!

LadyJennifer
April 7th, 2010, 08:48 PM
You and hair your look stunning. I do agree with what a few others have said that you need a little bit of warmth somewhere perhaps. Personally I wouldn't touch the hair, it's gorgeous. I'd just use a little bit of blusher to warm up your skin.
The main issue with that photo is you have a very bright pink top on which is a bit too much of a contrast with pale skin and hair. So makes you look a bit drained.

I agree about the blush and the pink top.

manderly
April 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Rini, I hope you are happy with whatever you have chosen and I hope you share some photos with us if you make any changes :D

vindo
April 7th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I'm a bit late but I just wanted to add that your hair and skin tone work great together, pale blond like that is rare and it makes your eyes pop!
The only thing I noticed: I think your brow liner does not have to be that dark, it competes with the pale blond. Maybe try a cool ashy beige? There is great pencils for blondes..
It might even things out, just an idea :flower:

Rini
April 7th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks! Yes, there will ALWAYS be photos of whatever I decide to do :D

Emi (:waving:) I actually dye my brows darker, otherwise they tend to disappear into my face. So no brow pencil there, just brow gel to keep them in place :)

I reckon I'm going to give rosemary/sage a try today. It does take a long while to build up, but I thought it could be something to try while I make up my mind about the Elumen. We'll see.....

GlassEyes
April 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I don't really think you need to bother with your eyebrows, really. Most eyebrow hair is darker than the hair by a few shades, save for really dark hair. My eyebrows are black, and my natural hair is sortof one-hue dark dark brown. :shrug:

UP Lisa
April 23rd, 2010, 08:20 AM
Clairol Beautiful Collection - Semi Permanent Hair Color
non-oxidative color, it'll wash out as all non-oxidative will but this wont cause any damage - not a single bit.

they've got it at Sally's (they only color anyone should be buy there, there rest of it will destroy your hair) its relatively cheap and gets the job done.
more info here: http://killerstrands.myshopify.com/products/clairol-beautiful-collection-semi-permanent-hair-color

How would you compare Clairol Beautiful Collection to Wella Color Touch?

Rini
April 24th, 2010, 12:59 AM
UPLisa, I know your question was not meant for me, but I've been reading reviews on semi permanent colours and it seems that the Clairol one does not last long at all by all accounts. The Wella Color Touch has more shades, but it is mixed with a developer. Do I have that right? If it's mixed with a developer then it's not really a semi?

Arctic_Mama
April 24th, 2010, 01:04 AM
This has already been said, but I must second (fifth? eleventh?) it - your coloring is BEAUTIFUL and very flatteringly cool, ESPECIALLY with your eyes. I actually think a warmer hair tone would make your skin tone look washed out. I also notice no issue with your wurly texture and your hair color/silvers. It all looks lovely and flattering to me.

Rini
April 24th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Thanks Arctic Mama :flowers:

BattahZ
April 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I'm really late to this thread as well, but still wanted to chime in - you're gorgeous, and the hair/skin combo is lovely. It makes you glow!

As someone with very fair skin as well, and somewhat light hair (growing back to my natural color, which is a really light ash brown), I understand what you mean about being overall too pale. The trick, as some others mentioned, is just to be sure to wear blush and some kind of lip color, avoid wearing light neutrals, don't skip the mascara (or even tint your lashes - I got a lash tinting kit at Sally's) and you're golden. I've learned never to wear any shades of beige, but jewel tones, black, and some pastels work great. Always blush, and sometimes a hint of bronzer (only very lightly to contour or on your temples/cheekbones/jawline), and that'll do.

Your hair is just so lovely!

Sarahmoon
April 24th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Oh come on, you look good! Light blonde with such dark eyes is a rare and pretty combination, in my opinion. Reminds me a bit of Gwen Stefani, but your hair is natural! :D

Sylvanas
April 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM
It's not too pale for you, but in the pic you posted your hair lacks the shine from the other pictures. Now I don't think you need to do anything about it, but in my opinion a colourless or slightly golden gloss/rinse would make it look stunning. You could also get a few lowlights if you want to add some dimension to it. Maybe it could simply be that your conditioner isn't mousturizing enough? Anyway, I think light hair really suits you, so please don't go too dark if you should decide to dye :)

Ooh, thought of one more thing. Maybe you could try one of those shampoos that add colour to your hair? Golden blond, maybe? It's very subtle, and if you don't like it, at least you won't be stuck with it for more than a few days.

IcarusBride
April 24th, 2010, 01:15 PM
If you aren't against the idea, I think colored contacts would look amazing on you with that hair color!
But I also think you look great as you are.

Amraann
April 24th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I think that your hair eyes and skin tone compliment each other.

manderly
April 24th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Rini, Color Touch is a demi permanent, not a semi :)

EtherealOde
April 24th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I think you look rather Ethereal, like an elf or a fairy. If you want to warm up your color, I am with those who say give cassia or maybe chamomile tea rinses a try to bring the gold back a bit. Most of the washed out look is probably due to bad lighting, and the need to update your makeup and clothing to reflect your lighter hair color. I suspect that if you made changes there rather than with your hair, you would be surprised at how different you would look.

TinaDenali
April 24th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Oh, my goodness you're stunning.

I'd kill to have your hair. Please don't change it! I love it. It's so fae and lovely.

However, if you really can't stand it, there's not much you can do other than dye it.

But it is so glorious on you and I think it looks fantastic.

ALSO - You do not look 37! My jaw dropped when I read that. You look about 25.

Vanilla Mint
April 24th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I'm surprised you don't think it suits you. I'm a fan of contrast, so I appreciate your dark eyes against your fair hair. For me, it's the opposite: I prefer dark hair to contrast with my very pale eye color. And honestly, I think any hair color can look with any eye color! If you have dark eyes, dark hair and brown skin will still draw a lovely focus to your eyes, but in a different way...the same thing with pale eyes, skin, and hair (or any combination of these things!).

I'm also totally jealous that your hair color is pale enough to nicely blend in with silver. I can only hope for such a miracle when my silver/white starts coming in. I think it looks beautiful.

Crystal520
April 24th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Beautiful!! Don't color it!!! It's just breath taking!

Rini
April 24th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Hey thanks all! :flowers:

Well you guys have convinced me of one thing: I'm never wearing my fuschia pink satin top again!! hehehe Nah, really I do like it, but I pulled a thread in it (down the front!) last time I wore it and it's kinda ruined now :(

Seriously, here's what I have done to help: I'm trying out a colour depositing shampoo/conditioner combo by Toni&Guy. The products do add a brown colour, but it's too warm for my liking and I also don't like the products themselves, the poo is not cleansing enough and the condish is not moisturizing enough. I'm going to give those away. I've done sage rinses which really didn't make any obvious difference. I bought a new blush and bronzer which I think look nice on me :o I can only really wear them when I have some sort of foundation on though, and I don't like to wear makeup too often....so it's just reserved for special occasions. I have some purple contacts which I'm too scared to try right now (never used contacts before). Finally, I am going to give Elumen a go (as soon as it arrives at my house all the way from Germany!). I'm going to mix a very light beige colour (maybe with some copper too....I'm a sucker for red!). That way, my roots won't contrast too badly and I'll still get some "colour". I really am sick of the "non-coloured" hair I have now.

Thanks for all the compliments though! It's very nice to have such support and honest opinions :D

LoveMyMutt
April 26th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I think it really striking. Not many people have that blond hair and dark eyes, it is very unusual and beautiful.

But, if you wanted to try something different -- maybe a darker blond semi permanent lowlights? You know, like reverse highlights -- you could probably do one of those cap things and pull strands through and do a semi permanent color in a shade or two darker to warm things up and give your waves definition w/out having long-term commitment, major change or the root issue.

I'm also a blond who has tired of dealing with henna upkeep, plus I decided that the bright red was too ... bright ... on me. And light roots look really strange with darker hair.

justgreen
April 26th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Leave your hair alone Rini, it's gorgeous and makes you look so youthful. As for your eyes, now those you can change if you are just wanting to goof off. Get some sapphire blue contacts, with those dark eyes of yours, the blue will just electrify! But I love you just the way you are!

Maddy25
April 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I think the blonde is stunning on you <3 You are beautiful.

Isilme
April 26th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I'm sure your purple contacts would look awesome and make you appear even more etheral:)

Rini
April 26th, 2010, 11:11 PM
LovemyMutt: are you going to grow the henna out now? I can tell you it's a painful process! I love henna too, but the root contrast was ridiculous

justgreen: aww...thanks :flowers: you're a sweetheart.

Thanks Maddy and Isilme :)

Debra83
April 27th, 2010, 01:08 AM
I would love some opinions on my dilemma. Please read:

I have an interesting hair history (as some may recall!). I was bright henna red for many years and loved it, however the upkeep on my pale roots was too much. I then went through the long and painful process of removing the henna and regaining my natural blonde hair and silvers. As the years go by, my hair is getting lighter and lighter thanks to my numerous silvers. I am now at the point where I could truly be called a platinum blonde. I have some darker hair that grows right at the back of my head which I tint from time to time (roots only) to blend in with the rest, but the majority of my hair is VERY light. I also have very pale skin which is OK with me, but I feel that all of this does not go with my dark (hazel) eyes. I'm 37 yrs old now and as I age I feel more and more that my hair does not suit me. My mother has the most stunning pure white head of hair with pale blue eyes and it's wonderful :inlove:

Now before all the beautiful silver-headed ladies around here start jumping on me :patrol:(!!), I want to clarify that it's not the issue of going silver which is bothering me. I think silver hair is gorgeous and dearly wish I could carry it off. I don't even think it ages me that much, but I do think that it does not suit me. I guess the issue is mainly my eye colour and also the texture of my hair (wurly). Is it possible to have a hair texture that does not suit your hair colour?:confused: Probably not, but I feel the lovely natural sheen that comes with silver hair is better displayed on straighter hair.

So now I'm at a point where I'm considering dye. I've been looking into Elumen (with great appreciation from the helpful folk on the Elumen thread!) as I don't want to use any oxidative dyes. I've thought about a very slightly darker shade (slightly darker than the shade in my sig pic) to get me to a light brown. I think this would be a good compromise so that my roots are blended and don't require as strict maintenance as they would with a darker shade.

What do you think? Am I mad? Should I just leave it alone? Or do you think a slightly darker colour would look better?

I suppose I better put a pic in here so you can see my current colour and how light it has become since my sig pic (there is much natural growth since that was taken):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=847&pictureid=67876

I'm looking forward to reading some opinions!!

I love the colour of your hair in your picture. I think I prefer the colour, though, in your sig pic. It seems a little darker blond on you. But, if I hadn't seen the sig pic colour, I wouldn't have a preference - I would just love your now colour. Hope that was clear?! :D

blondecat
April 27th, 2010, 08:31 AM
LovemyMutt: are you going to grow the henna out now? I can tell you it's a painful process! I love henna too, but the root contrast was ridiculous

justgreen: aww...thanks :flowers: you're a sweetheart.

Thanks Maddy and Isilme :)

Sweetie, do you want me to come to Adelaide [not that far from me] And see your hair/skin tone in person ??

I think you look fab, in the slightly darker shots, but a little washed out wearing the fusia blouse.

as you know, all cameras are different and even lighting changes the colours in an image.

Cheers, Let me know, I could meet ya in the Mall by the Balls ;)

Rini
April 27th, 2010, 11:51 PM
blondecat: LOL...non-adelaideans are going to wonder what the heck the malls balls are!!:ponder: Thanks, but I think I'm going to give the Elumen a shot. Actually, I'm going to do nothing for now (I have to as the Elumen isn't here yet!) so in that time I may change my mind.....

Thanks Debra :)

blondecat
April 28th, 2010, 02:17 AM
blondecat: LOL...non-adelaideans are going to wonder what the heck the malls balls are!!:ponder: Thanks, but I think I'm going to give the Elumen a shot. Actually, I'm going to do nothing for now (I have to as the Elumen isn't here yet!) so in that time I may change my mind.....

Thanks Debra :)

HeHeHe.... you said ...Malls Ball's....... Tag, your it

yellowchariot
April 28th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I agree with most of the members here, I think it suits you well!

trillcat
April 28th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I think your hair is stunning!
That is almost the color hair I was born with, and had up till about age 13. (I'm 43 now)
I have spent truck loads of money over the years in an attempt to keep it that color, so it almost physically hurts when I read that someone blessed with this color naturally wants to change it!
But, we must do what makes up happy with our own hair. I will only cry a little if you change the color. :)
I agree with others that in the pic the color of the shirt is throwing off the color of your skin. To me it doesn't wash you out, but casts an unatural fuschia tone to your skin that is not flattering. I think a lot of that has to do with the lighting and the camera, the best camera on earth can only do so much with all that lightness then a big shock of color. Own own eyes do this color compensating thing as well, so the eye is drawn first to the bright pink, then up to your beautiful face and hair and the colors go all off. Not at all a slam against wearing bright pretty colors, but we do have to take into account just how those colors look on us.
Sorry for my bit of rambling there, but my vote would be to keep things just as they are (biased as I am) You have a very unique and beautiful look that not many other people are lucky enough to have.
Sorry to make this next statement sound so dramatic, but you have been blessed with great natural beauty that so few others can have claim to, think hard about making any decision to alter that.

spidermom
April 28th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Rini - Elumen in what color?

Rini
April 28th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I think your hair is stunning!
That is almost the color hair I was born with, and had up till about age 13. (I'm 43 now)
I have spent truck loads of money over the years in an attempt to keep it that color, so it almost physically hurts when I read that someone blessed with this color naturally wants to change it!
But, we must do what makes up happy with our own hair. I will only cry a little if you change the color. :)
I agree with others that in the pic the color of the shirt is throwing off the color of your skin. To me it doesn't wash you out, but casts an unatural fuschia tone to your skin that is not flattering. I think a lot of that has to do with the lighting and the camera, the best camera on earth can only do so much with all that lightness then a big shock of color. Own own eyes do this color compensating thing as well, so the eye is drawn first to the bright pink, then up to your beautiful face and hair and the colors go all off. Not at all a slam against wearing bright pretty colors, but we do have to take into account just how those colors look on us.
Sorry for my bit of rambling there, but my vote would be to keep things just as they are (biased as I am) You have a very unique and beautiful look that not many other people are lucky enough to have.
Sorry to make this next statement sound so dramatic, but you have been blessed with great natural beauty that so few others can have claim to, think hard about making any decision to alter that.
Wow, that is SUCH a lovely thing to say :flowers: Thanks for taking the time to write that! It does make me think about changing it :ponder:

Spidermom: I have bought a few bottles of Elumen: Clear, NB, KK, AB and BK. Elumen can be mixed to create different shades, so I'm going to have a little hair-ball fun first!! You know I'm a sucker for red (hence the KK!), so I think I will do a very light shade of brown (dark blonde) mixed in with a little bit of copper. Elumen is a semi, so it will fade out over time. There is a really good thread on it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5594&highlight=elumen)

Rini
May 20th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Here I am again! Well, I just wanted to update you all on what I ended up doing (and am still doing!).

I used Elumen in KB and ended up with a lovely bright copper red shade. I enjoyed it for about a week and a half before I decided to remove it using their "Return" product which releases the dye and washes it out. Absolutely no damage at all from the whole experience and I got to see myself "non-blonde" for a while :D Here's a pic:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/missrini8/family/May-11-2010-12.jpg

Anyway, I'm back to a shade pretty close to what I was, only it's more warm/coppery and looks quite nice I think. Next, I'm planning on using Redken Shades EQ in "Irish Creme" which should give me a nice beigey blonde (going to use "Ivy" on the lengths to counteract a bit more of that copper first).

I'm enjoying experimenting! :)

UltraBella
May 20th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Well I got to this WAY late, but oh well, here is my two cents........
As lovely as you are, I did think your natural color washed you out a bit.
I am all for hair color, but I prefer semi or demi color as well. That being said, if you deposit enough color on the hair, even with a semi, it will eventually become permanent. I used a particular red for so long it no longer washed out. From now on when I want a change, I have my stylist foil the color throughout my hair. This changes my overall hair appearance, leaves some of my hair normal, and there is no line of demarcation with my roots. If I like it enough I can go full head, but then my regrowth is much more noticeable because of my very ashy roots. Foiling is a great method and something you might want to consider......
Your hair is beautiful regardless !!http://http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?
albumid=5531&pictureid=72398

gi2121
May 20th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Rini, excuse me, you say you're 37? Holly Molly. You don't look more than 30. I'm having skin-envy here :D.

dropinthebucket
May 20th, 2010, 01:02 PM
hi rini, just found this thread - and the picture of your original colour, the one with you in the hot pink shirt. after my *disastrous* henna experiment (!!!) i did some serious research on colour, tone, and the "seasons" theory. books from the library, colour wheels, you name it. (in my amateur opinion :)) i think you are a soft, cool summer. the hot pink shirt is cool enough for your tone, but too vivid. soft, cools look nice in muted or neutral colours (most shades of blue except vivid turquoise, neutral green, purples except neon purples, etc.) because the vivids overpower them, cast lights on their skin, and create a high-contrast colour scheme. cool, soft summers, i read, are better sticking with less contrast, low or medium. (i should probably cite the books, so as not to plagiarize! ;) )

however, as soft cools age (not that you look anything like your age! you look 25!) their contrast options decrease - they should stick to medium contrast, so as not to appear "washed out" (e.g., blonde hair, white skin, very pale pink shirt is not enough contrast; a dusky rose shirt would be a good medium contrast; high contrast, as mentioned above, will cast unflattering lights). apparently, for this reason, soft, cool summers look very nice when they darken their hair a bit while staying in the same cool shade range. now that i've seen your original picture, i thought you carried off the red/orange because you are so pretty already, but i definitely prefer the cool tones of your original colour - maybe just darkened a bit for a change now?

anyway, just my two cents. i'm slowly working my way back to my best colours and growing out the mess I made!! :(

beachlover
May 20th, 2010, 01:24 PM
It's beautiful with your skintone and eye color!!!

May
May 20th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I think your hair in your siggy which is warmer toned looks very nice :)

FrannyG
May 20th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hi Rini!!! :waving:

I'm delighted that you stopped by to catch us up. I'm glad that you're having some fun experimenting. I enjoyed the photo that you showed today.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you eventually settle on. :blossom:

spidermom
May 20th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Gorgeous smile and eyes, as always. I must confess that I'm not so fond of the copper color next to your porcelain pink-tone skin. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you try next.

missjessiecakes
May 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Oh, my goodness you're stunning.

I'd kill to have your hair. Please don't change it! I love it. It's so fae and lovely.

However, if you really can't stand it, there's not much you can do other than dye it.

But it is so glorious on you and I think it looks fantastic.

ALSO - You do not look 37! My jaw dropped when I read that. You look about 25. I could totally picture you running around in wings and leaves with flowers all over your hair :o

I look forward to what you try next.

Cinnamon Hair
May 20th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Rini, I always thought you made the most stunning henna head! The blonde suits you well in your signature photo, but in the photo you just posted, you look more pale. The blonde doesn't look bad on you, and I especially would not count it out just because of your eye color. That said, I loved the red.

ETA: Hah, that is what I get for not reading the whole thread. I see you decided to go red. Good choice!

Rini
May 20th, 2010, 11:20 PM
UltraBella, I'm with you on the semi/demi route. I'm happy experimenting with those types of colours (posted a pic of the Elumen result above)

gi2121, thanks :o I'm very flattered!

dropinthebucket, that was VERY helpful! Thanks so much for posting that info. I'm always so confused over that "season" stuff as I seem to have contradictory colouring to what is described for the various seasons. In that way, I've always felt my colouring is not right - ie very pale skin, yet dark eyes, pale hair, yellow-toned skin but prone to flushing pink at times. I do agree that bright vivid colours do not suit me at all, but I just loved the colour of that top and I tend to dress to please myself (even if I did not look that great to others!). I also agree that I should probably stay with the cool tones for my hair and just darken it slightly, in fact that is what I have done now and I'm very happy with the current shade (kind of a darker blonde) There is still some copper in my hair which I'll sort out next week :D

May, yes, I like that too. The funny thing is, I think that pic is a trick of light or something because my hair in reality was much more like the pic I posted in the first page of this thread. Actually, my hair today (after removing the red from last week and toning) does resemble my sig pic more now.

Hi Franny :waving: I like to update my threads, it's a good record for me as to what I'm doing with my hair too!

spidermom, thanks :flowers: It's funny, because I love RED hair very much, but this time around it wasn't really "doing it" for me. I think I have a psychological problem with it now (after all those months spent removing the henna and losing a lot of length). My mind sees any shade of copper in my hair and just recoils "Noooooo!". So many people complimented me on the red, but I wasn't feeling it. Anyway, it's mostly gone now. I promise to post another pic when I get this shade right next week.

missjessiecakes, awwww....how sweet :D I'm a bit old to be running around in fairy wings, but I like the mental image :eyebrows:

Cinnamonhair, LOL, I was reading your response thinking "I really should have posted that redhead pic in the first post!" Thanks :)

pennylane
May 20th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I vote for how it looks in signature hair!

I like that tone of blonde on you, not too pale, not to golden and not too cool .... :flower:

Das Siechtum
May 21st, 2010, 12:11 AM
I think you can pull off red and blond hair either way. And you look very beautiful. :-)

Rini
May 21st, 2010, 08:09 PM
Thank you pennylane and Das Siechtum :flowers:

feralnature
May 24th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Rini, you look VERY good VERY blonde. Keep the very pale tone of blonde. It works for you. Not too many people can carry it off but you can and it is striking. Don't be shy about warming up your cheeks with a bit of blush when you go out, also, your eyes already pop but you can play them up and also your lips and you would look like a stunning pin up girl, in a good way :)

Jammy
May 24th, 2010, 12:32 PM
The cool, pale blonde in your signature is absolutely stunning. That is my idea of the perfect hair color but I have much more yellow in my skin tone.

It is perfect for your peachy, dewy skin! Not to say red isn't beautiful, but I think it's too warm for that skin!

Rini
May 24th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks feralnature and Jammy! Very sweet comments :D My hair seems to be reverting to the cool pale blonde all by itself at the moment (it's amazing just how well any sort of colour does NOT take on silver hair), so I'm just letting it do what it wants for now. I'm still planning on doing some Redken EQ though, so I'll update here when that's done :)

MissManda
May 24th, 2010, 11:26 PM
You do not look 37 at all! I never would have guessed by looking at your photos. You are gorgeous and I like both the pale blonde and the red on you. I do think that the blonde enhances your eye color. Your natural coloring is beautiful and very elven and is nothing to be embarrassed or shy about. Do what you feel is best and what makes you happy. :)