PDA

View Full Version : First ever coconut oil treatment <3

Aliped
April 5th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I got to BSL by accident .... I stopped cutting my hair and started to keep it in a braid. I had a very stressful, very busy couple of years workwise and only had time to wash and braid it. After finding this forum and reading all the excellent advice, I decided to give my hair a treat. I found some organic coconut oil in the kitchen. Oiled my hair, braided it, stuffed it a sock and slept on it. In the morning I was planning on doing a CWC, but chickened out at the last conditioner step, so it was only a CW, braided it wet, went to work, came home and brushed it out .....

..... it's soooo soft! I love it! :cheese:

deviantkitten
April 5th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Yay for coconut oil! I remember my first oiling LOL. My hair adores it, and I am glad yours does to. It really helps smooth and condition I have on most of my length because I am growing out allot of dye/damage. My ends used to be like straw, and I would trim a cpl inches every could of months, only to have the straw return, at which point I had to trim again. Since using the coconut oil, but ends are just as smooth as my roots- no more straw! I am now confident I will never have to trim as much as I used to- maybe a cpl dustings during the year to even the ends a bit, but that's it!
Congrats!

SpeakingEZ
April 5th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I just bought some coconut oil myself and I absolutely LOVE it. I've been oiling my hair with olive oil for a couple months now, but finally worked up the will to search out coconut. Should have done it a lot sooner.

I'm glad you like it, too!! My hair feels slippery and shiny, but not greasy at all. (Except, I'm enjoying it so much that I've been overdoing it to the point of being greasy.)

freckles
April 6th, 2010, 05:40 AM
glad your hair likes it :) mine seems to, too :)

lesbia
April 7th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I also want to try coconut oil, this encourage me to buy it. I'll definitely do this treatment soon :)

Sunny_side_up
April 7th, 2010, 01:32 PM
It's great stuff and i adore the smell, when i first got it i went a bit overboard and put too much on. Hair looked shiny but weighted. Now its on the ends of my hair, makes it feel nice and soft and am holding off trimming for a bit so this treating of the tips suits me fine.

natorade
April 7th, 2010, 11:27 PM
My hair loves coconut oil too. My damaged ends have been way more bearable.

Aliped
April 20th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Here is a before and after photo. The before photo is after wearing an English braid all day and brushing it out, on the left. The right side is after sleeping with a lot of coconut oil on damp hair, combing with a wide tooth comb and leaving it to air dry..... much nicer! :)

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr243/aliped99/Hairsticks/hairB4nafteroil.png

Sammich
April 20th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Woo, awesome how it's working for you! :D Coconut oil doesn't seem to do much wonder for me. :(
Sweet almond oil does for me though! (Sounds like an advertisement, coughcoughalmondoiltryit joking joking. ;) )
:cheese: woo!!! :D

Wow, the after picture looks so soft!! :D

SpinDance
April 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Glad to hear you are having such success with coconut oil. My hair loves it, and several other oils, as well. It hates olive oil, so it took me much longer to try other oils when I didn't get good results with that. It seems that the more I use oils the better my hair is getting.

alwayssmiling
April 20th, 2010, 02:02 PM
My hair goes a little crunchy with coconut oil as a leave in. But as a prewash...my hair loves it. I always do a coconut treatment before I'm planning to use shampoo. When my hair is really dry I use coconut oil then CO wash. Love it. Oh and I take my makeup off with it too - so its great value.

jera
April 20th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Here is a before and after photo. The before photo is after wearing an English braid all day and brushing it out, on the left. The right side is after sleeping with a lot of coconut oil on damp hair, combing with a wide tooth comb and leaving it to air dry..... much nicer! :)

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr243/aliped99/Hairsticks/hairB4nafteroil.png

Your hair looks beautiful either way. Congrats on finding something that works for ya. :p

chopandchange
April 20th, 2010, 03:08 PM
That's brilliant! I'm glad you're so pleased with the results!

I wish oils would work for me. :(

NuclearMosquito
April 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Coconut oil is wonderful, isn't it? I love that a jar is nearly a lifetime supply for me too, haha. I use so little at a time and it still makes my hair so soft. I used to use it on my skin until I heard it can clog pores, though I never had that happen.

Aditi
April 20th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I just love coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment :inlove:

MOOBUG
April 24th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Looks great! I get really mixed results. Some days my hair loves it and some days Im left with dull sticky hair. Not quite sure what im doing wrong but will figure it out.

@ Always smiling, I use it to take off my eye make up too! Have you found your eye lashes getting thicker? Iv noticed a change and im very pleased