PDA

View Full Version : Getting past shoulder-length

Dimitri'sMom
April 5th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I am finding my shoulder/collarbone length hair very difficult to keep out of trouble! Not only am I short on time for putting it in braids in the morning, I have very fine hair that slips out of the braids and gets ripped out by the roots by my 8 month old. Purse and diaper bag straps constantly rip out stray unbraided hairs at my nape and around my face. Plus an ill-advised foray into coney leave-ins has given me crunchiness and shedding.

I don't have resilient hair; it is fine and very breakable. My patience and enthusiasm are waning a mere month after starting this adventure! Anyone else at this length remotivated yourself through this difficult length? Also any shoulder-length ladies with protective styling tips, please help!

Ravenne
April 5th, 2010, 11:56 AM
The first thing that came to mind was making a peacock twist with a claw clip. They may not be the most hair friendly toys, but if used carefully, they'd be better than getting your hair ripped constantly. =/

Dimitri'sMom
April 5th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Is that a style with a thread in the very important thread list? I have some Goody chignon clips I use that aren't quite as damaging as claw clips, so maybe they would work.

ETA: Never mind! That's so simple, I didn't know that style even had a name. I would have called it "Cleaning the House". :)

Bethie
April 5th, 2010, 12:05 PM
A peacock twist with a claw clip, Flexi-8, or even a large barrette would work. Also a Gibson Tuck could work. At least that is what I am planning on when my hair is longer. My 15 mth old is already working on pulling my hair out.

long.again
April 5th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I agree, peacock twist. A ficcare would be great for this as they are super good to hair and super quick.

I have hair a little longer than collarbone and my quick and easy 'do is normally a low french braid that is tucked under with an elastic. I also find that dutch braids hold much, much better with slippery hair than french braids do. I also enjoy anything I can wear for multiple days (since kids don't always let you do your hair in the morning).

Another great thing would be a snood or some other type of hair covering. These can be really easy to throw on and protect the hair.

NuclearMosquito
April 5th, 2010, 12:37 PM
My first thought was one of those really soft headbands (the kind that goes all the way around your head) combined with a French twist (soooo easy once you do it once or twice) held with a claw clip. The headband should help keep the small hairs in place even if you use it with a peacock twist too.

Dani
April 5th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Twin buns with a soft headband! :D Oh yeah, and the buns can each be held with a small claw clip. This is my go-to style every day lately, easy (Super-fast) and cute and out of my way. I'm about to put coconut oil on my damp ends and put it up right now. 8)

Dreams_in_Pink
April 5th, 2010, 01:19 PM
French and dutch braids and extensions saved my lifetime during the awkward stage. But i'm not sure if any of these would be useful for your hairtype.