PDA

View Full Version : My hair is itching and breaking off?

xxaimsxx
April 5th, 2010, 10:14 AM
My hair is itching and breaking off??..

This has only really started to happen a few days ago and i havent been using a different hair routine or anything.
I use head and shoulders shampoo and herbal essences conditioner. I've been using them for a year now and they have been fine.

The breakage is only small but i can notice it. Although it might get worse so what are some soothing, natural shampoos and conditioners around?
Shall i try aveda??

I'm kind of worried here. :confused:

xxaimsxx
April 5th, 2010, 10:15 AM
My hair is itching and breaking off??..

This has only really started to happen a few days ago and i havent been using a different hair routine or anything.
I use head and shoulders shampoo and herbal essences conditioner. I've been using them for a year now and they have been fine.

The breakage is only small but i can notice it. Although it might get worse so what are some soothing, natural shampoos and conditioners around?
Shall i try aveda??

I'm kind of worried here. :confused:

Also i dont use straightners or anything. Its taken me a long time to get my hair healthy and now this happens, :(

GoddesJourney
April 5th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Check for silicones in your products. You could be getting buildup that is itching on your scalp. Also, if your are stripping your scalp on a regular basis with harsh shampoos, it could be making your scalp itch. This is likely the case if your hair is suddenly breaking off, because it's probably dry. Maybe a deep conditioning treatment or deep oiling with coconut or olive oil would help relieve this.

rach
April 5th, 2010, 10:36 AM
It might be worth trying out some oils which may calm the itching and help in the long run breakage.
Oils differ from person to person and some don't get along with them.

Egg treatment may help?

Personally i find head and shoulders to harsh on my hair but that is a personal preference on my part.

Try http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=146 which may help deal with the breakage in your hair and will minimize sacrificing length.

I hope thats helped in some form, hold in there xxaimsxx

ChloeDharma
April 5th, 2010, 11:27 AM
If you want a gentle brand then JASON are available in most independant health food shops. At a guess i'd say that the head and shoulders might be too harsh like Rach suggested. I would also second the suggestion to try oiling, jojoba is a great one for the scalp and is quite good in itself for irritation but there are many good ones to choose from......avocado is excellent for heavy oilings overnight.
You might also want to try diluting your shampoo with a squirt of loe vera gel.

jera
April 5th, 2010, 02:49 PM
If you want a gentle brand then JASON are available in most independant health food shops. At a guess i'd say that the head and shoulders might be too harsh like Rach suggested. I would also second the suggestion to try oiling, jojoba is a great one for the scalp and is quite good in itself for irritation but there are many good ones to choose from......avocado is excellent for heavy oilings overnight.
You might also want to try diluting your shampoo with a squirt of loe vera gel.

Head and Shoulders is a harsh shampoo. Besides, hair gets used to the same routine so changing things every once in a while can help your scalp. If your scalp itches it's probably dry. As the others have said, try a light oiling and see how things go for you from there. :)

Capybara
April 5th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I definitely would try a new shampoo :) A change of routine will probably do some good. Also, (not to alarm you) but some skin conditions - many are fairly minor - can cause itching. If you scratch too much, the breaking could be caused by the scratching.