PDA

View Full Version : Question for the guys, when shaving

yellowchariot
April 5th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I've accidently snagged a few hairs from the back of my neck, that I'm trying to grow out. Normally I wear a ponytail, but sometimes, it does not pull all of the stray hairs from my sideburns back. My razor tends to snag those as well.

What are some handy ways that you all do to secure your hair, to keep it ALL out of the way, when you shave your face?

Thanks!

GoddesJourney
April 5th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I'm not a guy, but maybe if you covered the area you don't want to shave while you were shaving, it would be a way to avoid accidental snagging of longer hairs. Maybe if you grabbed and old credit card or a popsicle stick or something and held it over your sideburns while you're shaving that spot, you could get a nice clean line without having to worry about it. Just a thought.

ETA: A bun or top knot will work just fine with this method.

Peter
April 5th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Well, I have a few short strands of hair at the front that only grow to a few inches. Some of them are long enough to tuck behind my ears, and that keeps them from getting accidentally cut. I just hold back any strands that might fall in front of my face, and I only do one side at a time.

pinkbunny
April 5th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I'm not a guy, but I trim DH's hair on a regular basis. I like to wet his hair which helps me to comb the longer hairs & wispies out of the way to trim up his sideburns & such. We also have one of those nifty face & neck trimmers with extra accessories and that helps with precision shaving and trimming...

You could also try looking at different types of flat clips to help hold hair that won't stay in the ponytail.

Drynwhyl
April 5th, 2010, 10:51 AM
A hair band?

bte
April 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I wear a ponytail to look after the head hair, but also put small ponytail bands in my sideburns to keep them out of the way. Could start a fashion!

Belisarius
April 5th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I keep my head tilted at an angle and push the hair away with my other hand.

Arriens
April 5th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I shave after showering and when I exit the shower I have a towel around my head. And for shaving I put all the longhairs under the towel so I don't hit them with my razor.

little_cherry
April 5th, 2010, 03:38 PM
DH uses bobby pins to secure the smaller hairs away from the shaving area. Hope that helps! :)

deviantkitten
April 5th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I would go with a wide round cloth headband- super cheap, and you could probably make it yourself with an old stretchy t shirt sleeve. just cut it off, and place around your hairline like...well, like you put on a circle headband LOL. Making sure, of course, that all the little hairs you want to protect are tucked inside the band of cloth

Mutinous
April 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I use a clip and tuck the rest behind my ears, I'm trying to grow out my side burns so I had to get a bit creative!

PF Graham
April 5th, 2010, 05:49 PM
About 15 years ago I discovered the amazing benefits of shaving while still in the shower.

Pros:
- NEVER need to buy shaving cream again - just wash your face and shave the fuzzy bits then rinse - no more fooling around after you've already dried off.
- No more mess to clean around your sink (when I was married, my wife LOVED this part).
- Because you can get your face more fully hot and lathered up, razor burn is gone.
- Time - I bet I save 10 min a day by eliminating shaving after I get out.
- A MUCH closer shave, even with a somewhat dull blade.
- I almost never catch my hair in my razor because my hair is still wet and stays tucked behind my ears and shoulders without falling onto my face.

Cons:
- You have to buy a shower mirror - I bought the one that hooks up to the shower head so it won't fog. LOVE IT!

Seriously, I don't understand why all men don't do it. I'm reminded how nice shaving in the shower is when I travel. I don't have a travel shower mirror so I do it the "old fashioned" way and it's always the same thing: Where's my scrunchy so I don't shave my head hair, what a mess, what a time waste.

Women shave (their legs - don't you know) in the shower / tub - now they're smart!

There you go.

EdG
April 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM
The boundary between the hair and sideburns is rather arbitrary. I err on the side of leaving more sideburns. My sideburns are normally not visible because they're under my hair. Come to think of it, my ears are normally not visible either. :D

I carefully brush my hair to the side before trimming my beard.
Ed

bte
April 6th, 2010, 02:41 AM
The boundary between the hair and sideburns is rather arbitrary. I err on the side of leaving more sideburns. My sideburns are normally not visible because they're under my hair. Come to think of it, my ears are normally not visible either. :D

I carefully brush my hair to the side before trimming my beard.
Ed

I never realised that you have ears!

ale
April 6th, 2010, 03:32 AM
The easiest way would be to stop the nasty habit of shaving, hehe.
Anyway, I think a hair band would work well to keep all the hair secured while doing the deed.

yellowchariot
April 6th, 2010, 10:14 AM
^ LOL those were some great replies! :laugh:
I really appreciate everyone's input, including the ladies!

I do shave in the shower 90% of the time, unless I use my electric for trimming. However I still get those hairs that invisibly get in the way, while using a manual razor. Especially going up my neck/jaw line.

I am letting the sides of my mustache grow out like a Klingon :cool: lol!

Alright I have to confess on myself. . . I bought some hair clips, bobby pins, and more hair ties the other day, while I was at the grocery store. . . $1 for each pack, and one of those packs had multiple accessories :tongue: hehe!

Gumball
April 6th, 2010, 10:27 AM
My hair is usually back, so it tends to not get in the way when I shave. If you're determined to keep back a few hairs that don't stay in a tail, then try using a bobby pin or something along those lines for the duration of the shaving.