PDA

View Full Version : perscribe me some hair care please!

SophieSpector
April 5th, 2010, 08:03 AM
all Ive been doing is not straigtening, washing my hair with a natural shampoo , taking supplements ( vit b, msm, good oils ect ) and using coconut oil in my hair every so often.

could someone please tell me what I should be doing + adding? thanks

p.s. my hair is getting a little dry and I really want to thicken it up.

chopandchange
April 5th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Are you blowdrying?

Edit: you say you are using a natural shampoo, but are you using a conditioner as well? If you're only using a shampoo and nothing else, I can see how your hair could be getting dry.

Here are things I personally do and don't, but everyone is different so you will find what works for you.

DON'T:

Heat style (blowdry, straighten, use tongs)
Brush wet hair
Rub hair with towel
Twist hair when wet to get water out
Rip through tangles with a brush
Use harsh drying products like shampoo.

DO:

Let hair dry naturally
Use wide tooth comb on wet hair
Only brush occasionally
Blot hair with towel
Detangle gently with comb
Only use conditioner, no more shampoo. Bye bye, dry hair!

SophieSpector
April 5th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I blow dry once a month very lightly and I only shampoo then use a leave in cond after. Never tried C.O. washing. humm worth a shot

chopandchange
April 5th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Hmm. If you are only shampooing, that might be why. But if it's a natural shampoo, it shouldn't be as harsh and drying as an SLS one.

Maybe think about using a conditioner in the shower as well as your leave-in one, and see if that sorts out the dryness. If not, maybe think about trying CO washing as well.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I forgot to ask what type of hair you have, (straight, curly, thick, thin)? and whether it's damaged or dyed. That makes a big difference.

SophieSpector
April 5th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I think I have 2c m ii hair ( I just did the hair typer thing on here :) ) not dyed or damaged, its bsl also.

Anje
April 5th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Definitely add an in-shower conditioner. Leave-ins are really light by comparison, and I don't think they're an adequate replacement for letting your hair soak in conditioner for a few minutes in the shower. I'd suggest getting a shower cap -- you can smear conditioner on your hair, put the cap on, and do all your other showerly washing without worrying about rinsing the conditioner off your ends (where it's needed most). Then rinse your hair last.

Deep conditioning treatments are also good, particularly if hair is getting dry and you want to resuscitate it in short order. My favorite is an SMT (it's in the Recipes section of the site), which you make yourself with conditioner, clear aloe vera gel, and honey.

missmandy
April 5th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I'm doing CO and my hair LOVES it. It's in tons better condition. Even if you don't want to do CO, I HIGHLY suggest using conditioner in the shower. You can get a bottle of V05 at any drug store for around 99 cents. V05 rocks.

Bethie
April 5th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I have to second and third the suggestion to add an in shower conditioner. I use both a leave-in and in shower conditioner when my hair feels dry.

x0h_bother
April 5th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Like you, I had been using only shampoo but mine was a harsh dandruff one. I havent quite been able to tranisiton to CO washes yet so I do a shampoo and then afterwards I condition my scalp just like you would apply shampoo. Like the others, I would recommend using a deep conditioner that suits your hair needs (my hair personally loves oils.) good luck! :)

pinkbunny
April 5th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Maybe your hair doesn't like the coconut oil? Try other kinds like jojoba, olive oil, etc... Whatever you change up, give it a couple weeks to see if it works because you might not always see results immediately.

When I condition, I just put it on my ends, not the scalp. This helps moisturize my ends without making my roots greasy.