PDA

View Full Version : How to make curls stay?

lora410
April 4th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I feel like an idiot asking this question but it has been so long since I used hair products. So I am curling my hair for my wedding (on my own) with hot rollers. I already experimented and they look great but the curl feel out 1 minute later without a styling product. What do I use before I roll my hair to make the curls stay? Gel, mousse? I hate hairspray, so that isn't going to be an option. I want something that wont make my hair stiff as a board.

manderly
April 4th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Have you experimented with wet setting instead of hot rollers? Those curls stick around until you wash, and that was the gold standard of curling back in the day.

Lassie
April 4th, 2010, 08:38 PM
im eagerly watching this thread...
i have tried all methods of curling, some more successful then others but no matter what i do they don't stay for more then a couple of hours..
i think i have resorted myself to the fact that i just have slippery hair that will do what it dam well pleases......

tinker bug
April 4th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I second the wet set curlers. To get mine to stay in for the day without being crunchy is I put mousse on each wet section of hair before I roll it. I got my curlers at the dollar store, there were about 8 in the pack and I tend to use between 15-25 depending on how many curls I'm wanting.
Hope I helped a little, and congratulations on your up coming wedding, I wish you two all of the best! :flowers:

lora410
April 5th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I guess wet set would work for damp hair with my hot rollers not being hot?

tinkerbellisme
April 5th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I already have curly hair, but sometimes I like to have an uniform curl all over. Oddly enough, though my hair is curly it will not hold a curl using any type of heat setting....it will fall flat almost immediately.

Wet setting is a great way to do it if you have enough time to let it dry. Also rag curls or something similar to this: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=&q=wrap,+snap+and+go&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=N0G6S9zHCsLflgeWtOCVCg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CC4QsAQwBQ

do an excellent job! You put them in dry hair overnight (they're designed to interlock with each other to give volume and staying power through the night). The curls will stay for days. I think they sell these at walgreens and there is something similar with a different name at wal-mart.

As far as setting goes, aloe gel is great for curlies as a holding gel, so that may work as well.

tinkerbellisme
April 5th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Here's the thread here just for the wrap, snap and go set: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40559&highlight=wrap+snap

Just thought of it..pin curls do a great job as well and they're free if you have a bunch of bobby pins.

Also forgot to add: Congratulations! Hope your big day goes smooth and you have a wonderful marriage! :D

smilinjenn71
April 5th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Here is a video that is MOST helpful regarding a wet set. The only thing I do different is to use perm wrappers for the ends of my hair, so the ends don't get bent or look fuzzy. You simply place the hair in the center of the wrapper and fold the ends together, then roll. The fact that you use bobby pins to hold your hair overnight makes this SO comfy to sleep in.

Edit* - She does her hair dry but my hair wouldn't hold the curls if I didn't set it when it's damp-wet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50yw2W5F_z8

Here are the wrappers:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Jumbo-End-Wraps/SBS-157990,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair06

My suggestion is to practice, practice, practice - before the wedding. The bigger you make the loop, the less tight the curl. AND if it's still a bit too tight you could spritz lightly with water to relax the curl. Personally, because I haven't used a hair dryer with this style, I use my hair dryer on a really low heat setting to relax the curl.

Oh and another tip - wrap your hair in a lightweight fabric, like a scarf. That way you won't goof your hair up when sleeping.

Hope this helps! And good luck with all your wedding planning and the big day!

manderly
April 5th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I guess wet set would work for damp hair with my hot rollers not being hot?

No, a wet set is done with near-soaking hair and rolled using magnetic (smooth plastic, actually) rollers. Usually one would sit under a hood dryer until dry, but you can let it air dry (that takes forever though!).

When your hair dries, it shrinks a little, so your hair is pulled over the rollers tighter. This creates smooth, glass-like finish. I've never had softer hair than when I wet set. The curls also stay until you wash them away.

My current siggy pic is a wet set.

Here is the old tutorial thread I made about this with the how-to:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1499&highlight=wetset+tutorial

manderly
April 5th, 2010, 02:19 PM
smilinjen, the wrappers are not necessary if you use the magnetic rollers properly. If you find you are getting frizz or kinks and your end, use a mister bottle to soak the ends of your hair. The hair should completely "stick" to the roller like a magnet. If there is no sticking, then yes, you may have a frizz problem.

smilinjenn71
April 5th, 2010, 02:22 PM
smilinjen, the wrappers are not necessary if you use the magnetic rollers properly. If you find you are getting frizz or kinks and your end, use a mister bottle to soak the ends of your hair. The hair should completely "stick" to the roller like a magnet. If there is no sticking, then yes, you may have a frizz problem.

Thanks Manderly. Actually, that vid tutorial and the way I curl my hair is a pin curl, not with curlers at all. Yes, I would agree you wouldn't need them with curlers.

manderly
April 5th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks Manderly. Actually, that vid tutorial and the way I curl my hair is a pin curl, not with curlers at all. Yes, I would agree you wouldn't need them with curlers.

*goes back and checks your link*

Oh! It's Iloveguardo. She's fantastic. I actually used her standup pin curl tutorial (it's an older video, I believe) that she does on perfectly dry hair.

I do that mostly now when I have used a flat iron to get a more uniform curl or used my wet set rollers. It helps keep the ends perfectly curly :)

Since I've discovered I'm a natural curly, I don't do that so often anymore :D

Capybara
April 5th, 2010, 02:30 PM
My grandmother used to use sugar water to help hold the curl in our hair. Just a light spritz, or run your hands through the hair before doing rag curls. I'm not sure if this would work with the hot rollers, though.

Currently, I either just use sponge rollers without any product, or (if it's extra humid), I'll use a bit of aloe vera gel. I don't have very slippery hair, though...

smilinjenn71
April 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM
*goes back and checks your link*

Oh! It's Iloveguardo. She's fantastic. I actually used her standup pin curl tutorial (it's an older video, I believe) that she does on perfectly dry hair.

I do that mostly now when I have used a flat iron to get a more uniform curl or used my wet set rollers. It helps keep the ends perfectly curly :)

Since I've discovered I'm a natural curly, I don't do that so often anymore :D
She *is* fantastic! In the video I posted she does the pin curls dry as well. I'm such a straight-y and my hair is so heavy that the curls wouldn't hold if I didn't wet set mine. That's why I think it's important for people to practice and try several different ways to see what works for their hair. Plus, every time I wet set, I figure out something new about how I'm wrapping the hair. For example - some sections of my hair curl easier than others.:p

tinkerbellisme
April 5th, 2010, 03:47 PM

You can also use a rat-tail comb to smooth the ends around the roller and tuck them under the hair (I think this only works with those hard plastic rollers though)...not sure how it would do with any type of fabric rollers.

That vid was the one I was looking for! The one from ilovegeraldo on pin curls. They look much fuller and fluffier than the classic pin curls (which also give a pretty result when done correctly - but if they're not they get a dented look to them all the way down). But ilovegeraldo has such pretty 'dos. I am in awe of the creativity of her and torrin.

tinkerbellisme
April 5th, 2010, 03:51 PM
If you're dead-set on hot rollers though Caruso (sp?) makes one that uses steam that I've heard is gentler on your hair, but I don't know first hand - never tried them. If you do go the hot roller route, as you take them out one by one, curl them back up and pin them to your head for as long as possible, like right until the last possible minute. Then wrap your head with a silk scarf or something similar.

lora410
April 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Oh boy..lol. I already have the hot roller and I think waist length hair may be a pain in the arse to do pin curls but I will try these things. I tried snake waves once that that just flopped. I am no handy when it comes to hair and my fingers fall all over one another.

BelleBot
April 5th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I have tailbone length hair, rag curls on wet hair works the best for me, either letting it dry naturally over the course of 24 hours or so. Mousse can help it hold tighter if you want.
Depending on what I'm doing, the curls stay in most of the day. I'm left with beautiful curls and waves that gradually loosen over the next few days until I wash.

If I try and use heated appliances the curls never hold for more than a couple of hours, regardless of what products I use. Plus it takes forever to make it look right, so I don't bother. Too much fath and hassle. It's either having damp hair in rags the day before.

lora410
April 11th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I have tailbone length hair, rag curls on wet hair works the best for me, either letting it dry naturally over the course of 24 hours or so. Mousse can help it hold tighter if you want.
Depending on what I'm doing, the curls stay in most of the day. I'm left with beautiful curls and waves that gradually loosen over the next few days until I wash.

If I try and use heated appliances the curls never hold for more than a couple of hours, regardless of what products I use. Plus it takes forever to make it look right, so I don't bother. Too much fath and hassle. It's either having damp hair in rags the day before.

Thanks. I have noodle rollers in my damp hair at the moment but I am thinking of investing in some long socks because these will not be comfy at night.

julliams
April 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
You may find that a fine spray of hairspray might be needed to keep the curls as is. Just look for something with flexible hold.

Also I think the technique of the rolling is the most important because I have had all kinds of results with curling my hair even when I think I'm doing it right. I think the best tip is to make sure the ends are neatly rolled because when they are sticking out the wrong way, it just doesn't look right.

I would experiment using different techniques until you find what works best for you and then try that particular way a few times to make sure it's foolproof.

Best wishes for an amazing day with fabulous hair!

tralalalara
April 11th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Show choir tricks to keeping curls from pre-lims to finals! (approx. 12-16 hours) :

Hot Rollers:
(This is also what I did for my prom hair, before styling it.)

If your hair is longer than the average girl's, you may need to invest in another set of hot rollers and roll smaller sections of hair for the heat to penetrate the whole shaft. I use 24-26.

With completely dry hair, put hot rollers in at 4 a.m. and wear until your appointed ready-up time. (about five hours.) Tying a scarf around your head of rollers will keep them from pulling or falling out during that time.
Spritzing with a light spray(I use Aussie, but that sugar water stuff might be nice) on each section before rolling will help it hold and give it a shinier smoother ringlet texture.
Do everything else you need to do to get ready before taking out the rollers: Make-up, eat, get dressed, etc.
Unroll gently, starting with the first one you rolled, and keep your finger in the "tube" of the curl while you spritz it again. Then pin it to your head. Once the spritz is dry on every curl, unpin them from the bottom up, separating them with your fingers gently. Then style as you wish.

Keep a curling iron in your possession so you can touch up on the top layer of curls if they still don't stay.

lora410
May 5th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Ok, I am trying curling creme to hold the curls. If all else fails I am wearing my hair as is..lol

eternallyverdan
May 6th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I know you're probably looking for uniform spiral curls, but if you don't mind them getting smaller as they go down I say rag curls all the way. I wetted my hair with my hands, put in a dollop of aloe vera gel, and then used end papers and strips of pillowcase to get them all rolled up. I used TorrinPaige's soft set instructions.

Congrats on your wedding! I hope you find something that works for you.

piratejenny23
May 7th, 2010, 12:30 AM
i have read that moussing your hair while it's damp, then blowdrying it, then curling it (with rollers or whatever) helps greatly. i haven't had time to style my hair lately but am going to try this for an event on saturday.

i love doing rag curls and after trying several styling products, the one that worked best for me is Garnier Fructis "Curl shaping spray gel". It is also very cheap! i have to use it sparingly or (a) my curls will never dry and (b) there will be some crunchiness! but it works great compared to pricier brands.

i have also heard that Curlformers* are awesome, and they give you a curl from tip to root, while (for me anyway) i'm lucky if i can get the last 6" of my hair to curl. even when i do small sections, the "roll" gets thicker and thicker so there is less or zero curl at the top.

*available at Sally's. bit pricey and some people say it's a bit tricky at first learning how to use them, but may be well worth it for your special day!

Good luck and congratulations!

christine1989
May 7th, 2010, 01:01 AM
No products work as well as rolling your hair while wet or damp- that is your best bet if you want it to have a long lasting hold. Personally that is the only thing that works for me. Also, you should use very small sections of hair on each roller so it wont be weighed down as much.

EtherealOde
May 7th, 2010, 01:37 AM
So you really need to post your wedding hair pics so we can see them!!! A little late with advice here, but you can get curls with a sock bun, the kind where you roll your hair onto the sock rather than wrap it around it and pin. You might not even need any product, but you can try it with and without setting lotion to see how it works for you.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 7th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Wet-setting. I mean, dripping wet :D It never failed so far, even on slippery 1a hair. Just make sure hair's completely DRY before you remove the rollers.

Twil
May 7th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Curling spray (sort of like a liquid gel) helps, when you pull your curler out, spray the length with curling spray. Got2Be Curvacious is on sale this week at my grocery store but I've used tresemme's and garinier worked well for me too.

lora410
May 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM
The curling creme worked and I wont do wet set because I do not want to have rollers in my hair all days since I plan to take my dd to school that day (wedding is at 6pm)

countryhopper
May 9th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Although curls are beautiful, it doesn't seem like your hair like to hold curls well (sorry to be the party pooper! I also read your other thread about possibly gettting a perm).

How about embracing your natural texture and showing it off beautifully? Your avatar pic is so gorgeous, and that was without embellishing it with flowers, pearls, etc.

I'd just hate to try and do something that your hair is just going to rebel against and not look *perfect* on your special day.

The only other thing I can think of that would be foolproof would be to do an updo and pin the curls down in their loop. Or using some curly extentions in with this style with your same haircolor.