PDA

View Full Version : Heavy hair

eiwonob
April 4th, 2010, 05:07 PM
How do you deal with heavy hair? Are you experiencing this?
As my hair is getting longer, I'm having some traction in my scalp because of hair's weight. Sometimes it gives me a little headache. I use hairsticks and love it, but maybe it doesn't distribute the weight very well... or maybe I need to learn some new hairdos :)

(I don't know if "heavy" is the right word to describe it, I'm sorry if it isn't :o English isn't my mother language.)

spidermom
April 4th, 2010, 05:20 PM
My hair is heavy also. I rarely leave a style in all day; I have to let it down and then re-do it in a different place every couple of hours or so.

Speckla
April 4th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Heavy is a good discription. I'm barely BSL but my hair feels heavy and I can feel the extra weight when I turn around and my hair swings to the side (if it's down) or I can feel the weight pulling down if I wear it up too long.

rosek
April 4th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Try a few different styles. I couldn't wear my hair in a ponytail for a long time because it pulled my scalp. I also found a very high bun at night for a few hours helps with that. I'm not sure why - a high bun feels really heavy, so everything else the next day seems light?
Just try different styles until you find something thats comfortable : )

masnmab
April 4th, 2010, 07:43 PM
my hair is very heavy on my head-2 days of the same style and I got nasty pain in my scalp. I noticed that pinning back the top half only, either in a bun, braid or just back with a clip, really helps stop any problems.

Laylah
April 4th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I know you mean- I find that wearing my hair in braids or plaits helps.

Loreley
April 5th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Mine is heavy, too. I loved wearing it in a high ponytail but I can't do that for years. I tried it last year, I wore it that way for only a few hours and then I let it down. My scalp was burning for 2 days after that. :mad:
I usually wear my hair in a low cinnamon bun with a single stick. I don't feel it's so heavy then. :rolleyes:

Igor
April 5th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I don’t think hair is “heavy” in itself. What you experience as “heavy” is the momentum and pull on the follicles. I weighed my post-classic thick mane to a little over 200 g (7 ounces)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Moment_arm.png/250px-Moment_arm.png
For example, a hat doesn’t feel heavy because it’s sitting directly above the gravitation centre of your head, but a bun will feel heavy because of the momentum force

You can do two things to keep the feeling of “heavy” down:
http://i43.tinypic.com/28rjpex.jpgPack the up do closer to your scalp
http://i43.tinypic.com/28rjpex.jpgMake sure the weight-carrying scalp hairs are evenly pulled

This is my base ponytail method that I use on all my updos:

You need

One wide toothed comb (Red)
One fine toothed comb (Green)
Two different sets of elastics (I use 2 elastics in each set because one elastic alone can’t carry my hair without slipping or pulling)

Start off my putting your hair up in a ponytail using the wide toothed comb to put it in place
Secure with the first set of elastics (Blue)
http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Baseponytail1.jpg

Now use the fine toothed comb to “rake” your scalp hair back so everything is smooth (Red) It will leave some “bumpy” hair at the base of the ponytail (Yellow)
http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Baseponytail2.jpg

Take the wide toothed comb again and use it to pull out the “bumpy” hair and the first elastic down to the tail (Green) Do not start pulling the first elastic out!
http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Baseponytail3.jpg

Hold the now-smooth hair in place at the base of the ponytail and use the second set of elastics to secure the ponytail (purple)
http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Baseponytail4.jpg

Now you may remove the first set of elastics and detangle the tail. Then you can continue the updo you had planned. If you make a stick or fork updo, you get unrivalled stability if you can get one stick through the load-carrying elastic

Hope it helps

BranwenWolf
April 5th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I avoid buns whenever possible, and when I do it takes me 2-3 tries with hair sticks to find one that's comfortable that will stay up.
Most of the time it's down or tied back with a scrunchie.

Igor- wow, I never did a whole physics explanation of ponytails!

Dreams_in_Pink
April 5th, 2010, 03:04 AM
When i had tailbone-length permanent extensions (and yes, they're way heavier than any natural hair!) i always used to braid it and put the braid on one of my shoulders. That way shoulders carried the weight and not the scalp.

Purdy Bear
April 5th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I have thought about this problem recently, my Dr recommended I cut my hair as she thought it was causing my headaches, so I had about 10 inches chopped, but my headaches didnt stop, it was the coffee I was drinking.

I did have really thick wavy hair, so I think if I do manage to get it to regrow I may go for long layers to reduce the weight, although ideally I wouldnt have any.

Pixna
April 5th, 2010, 06:43 AM
For me, wearing buns that are "flatter" and closer to my head helps. They need to be evenly distributed and in just the right spot on my head. Sometimes I need to readjust or redo them (maybe once or twice during the day), if I don't get them exactly right the first time around. When I'm lucky, a well-made, well-placed bun will keep all day and even into the evening.

I use sturdy hair toys, especially sturdy sticks (made of strong woods). You might need to experiment with forks so you can get some with just the right prong length, number of prongs, and distance between the prongs. Experiment to see whether sticks or forks work better for you in terms of distributing the weight. Try various bun styles, too, as some work a whole lot better than others, depending on your length.

Good luck!! Let us know what you do that works for you!!

Angela_Rose
April 5th, 2010, 07:37 AM
For me, it's all about proper weight distribution. I cant' wear a ponytail anymore- it's too much weight in too small a place, so it pulls like crazy on my hairline. I use big pins or forks to hold up my nigh-constant buns, and alternate with wearing it down and braiding. I hope you find something that works!

krn2891
April 5th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I can't wear ponytails anymore. Most updos are fine though. When I really notice how heavy my hair is though is when I'm washing it. I have been experamenting with ways to not have washing be so hard on my neck especially while rinsing out the condish.

atlantaz3
April 5th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I'm just starting to get this -thanks for posting the question. I'm no where near as long as the other posters. I agree it's the holding hair under the bun being pulled that hurts. Some days I can go all day others not so much. Freshly washed hair seems to need more repositioning.
Course it didn't help this weekend that I braided pig tails and the dh pulled them!
As for the physics - I almost flunked that class thanks for the reminder :)

embee
April 5th, 2010, 10:32 AM
My hair is not heavy and does not feel heavy on my head - but I did notice that a coronet or fake-crown braid felt light. And it's also very pretty and shows off long hair well. :)

eiwonob
April 5th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Thank you all for so many interesting responses! :)

Yes, I already use to adjust bun position from time to time. I only use one stick, I will start to use two, it will give more support. And, while sitting at home, using the computer or studying, I think I will wear my hair down... not much damage can be done at these times and it will rest my scalp. It will be also a good time to make some scalp massage.

And, wow, Igor! I loved the physics explanation! It really explains the reasons behind the heavy feeling.

Coronet braids are really smooth to the scalp, i only use some pins to hold and it's enough!