PDA

View Full Version : Can my Terminal Length be this short? Help!

LilyLu
April 4th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hello!

I'm new here..I've got BSL-ish 3A/B hair. I''ve been growing it out since last July 2009 with some trims for bad split ends and It seems as though my hair isn't growing! I've had about 2 inches of growth since July and I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong. I'd like to eventually get my hair down to mid-back but I need to grow out all of my layers and go from a V hemline to a very soft U bluntish hemline. I assumed this would only take about a year. I was clearly very wrong.
I'm a vegetarian, but I eat fish and eggs. I take folic acid and b12 vitamins. I regularly deep condition and oil my hair so it's not like I'm not taking care of my hair. help!

spidermom
April 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I'm sorry to tell you, but it can be, yes. Years ago I had a roommate whose hair never grew past BSL. She didn't abuse it, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't breaking off on the ends, and she didn't get it trimmed very often, either. She wanted to grow it out very long, but it didn't work out for her. I was in contact with her for 8 years, and her hair stayed the same length.

Kristin
April 4th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Maybe. But some people have very slow-growing hair. Are you taking any vitamins?

I am a vegetarian, too. Actually I am almost vegan. My hair only grew 1/4" in March, but that is not typical for me. I am hoping for better growth once the weather improves. I personally do not think 10 or so months is long enough to really give yourself a shot at growing looooong hair. Don't get too discouraged and maybe get some hair vitamins, MSM, and biotin. :)

LilyLu
April 4th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I've grown my hair out to waist before.. maybe I'm just impatient :)
I'm taking folic acid and b12 vitamins..I'm starting to wonder if the climate here (maritime canada) is not so great for hair growth, especially in winter..we dont get much sun, or heat until june.

thanks for the replies!

Speckla
April 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I take vitamins and get my protein from beans, eggs, some nuts, and soy. My hair is growing well. Are you eating enough protein?

kittensoupnrice
April 4th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I agree with Speckla. Are you getting enough protein? Hair is mostly made of protein, so not getting enough would inhibit hair growth. If you are having issues with getting enough protein, you could always try buying egg protein powder. Egg protein should only be made of egg and will not contain milk (if you are not a dairy drinker). Putting a spoonful or two in a fruit smoothie is delicious.

Also, you should check that you are also getting some sunshine and exercise daily. I find that my hair grows faster when I'm being more physically active.

Also, I see that you are typed as 3b? Are you measuring your hair when it is pulled straight, or when it is curly? Curly hair is notorious for taking much much longer than straighter hair in reaching observable goal lengths.

manderly
April 4th, 2010, 07:57 PM
BSL is a very hard length to pass. I think I've been BSL for nearly a year! (at least it feels that way).

You're in the no man's land of your back, so small changes aren't very noticeable, and BSL is very damaging. Unless you wear your hair up all the time, it's getting pretty beat up. I know that's my problem because I enjoy having my hair down and know what kind of havoc is being wreaked.

It's really just time to put it up and ignore it, then one day you will see it change. It is possible it's your terminal length, but I feel that's unlikely and probably very rare for people to not be able to grow longer than that.

SpeakingEZ
April 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM
If it is at terminal length, I feel you. Sometimes I wonder if this (or maybe another 2") might be it for me, too.

Lykaios
April 4th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I'm taking folic acid and b12 vitamins..I'm starting to wonder if the climate here (maritime canada) is not so great for hair growth, especially in winter..we dont get much sun, or heat until june.

thanks for the replies!

Interesting. I'm in Dartmouth, NS right now.

My hair is growing painfully slow right now. If you've grown it to waist before, you're probably safe.

Juliannaissance
April 4th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Maybe you could try to NOT trim your hair at ALL and intake more protein. Also, what was the longest your hair has ever been?

ChloeDharma
April 4th, 2010, 08:58 PM

thanks for the replies!

I think you probably answered your own question there, you have had waist length hair before so i'm sure you can again.
My advice would be to keep looking after it and eating well and just keep your hair up with the ends protected and forget about it. That's what i always did at bra strap length then before i know it my hair is hanging down to my waist when i dry it.

Laylah
April 4th, 2010, 10:01 PM
It's possible, but now that you mention that you grew to waist, your hair's just probably going through a tough time. Don't worry, it will grow! BSL is a length where change is not very noticeable, so it may take some time.

Also, I must note that fish is not under the commonly accepted definition of vegetarian, because that includes all types of meat :) Just saying to inform you, no disrespect intended!

Alia
April 4th, 2010, 10:18 PM
The trims might be making it seem like nothing's getting any longer, plus older, damaged stuff will continue to break off until healthier hair from the scalp reaches the ends. Since your hair has been longer in the past, the present is likely just a delay rather than the terminal length. Switching from full trims to s&ding splits for a while might let you see more progress. I spent a long time at tailbone whining about how it just wasn't growing, but a few months ago, I noticed I'd passed tailbone and am now almost classic :cheese:.

Alia
April 4th, 2010, 10:21 PM
The trims might be making it seem like nothing's getting any longer, plus older, damaged stuff will continue to break off until healthier hair from the scalp reaches the ends. Since your hair has been longer in the past, the present is likely just a delay rather than the terminal length. Switching from full trims to s&ding splits for a while might let you see more progress. I spent a long time at tailbone whining about how it just wasn't growing, but a few months ago, I noticed I'd passed tailbone and am now almost classic :cheese:.

Alia
April 4th, 2010, 10:24 PM

argyle
April 4th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I have never been able to reach BSL. I have a very very bad feeling I am near my terminal. I don't know if I can get more than 4 more inches!

My hairs break off, but maybe since I am taking really good care of my hair now, maybe it will not break?? Crossing my fingers...

tinkerbellisme
April 4th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I think you probably answered your own question there, you have had waist length hair before so i'm sure you can again.
My advice would be to keep looking after it and eating well and just keep your hair up with the ends protected and forget about it. That's what i always did at bra strap length then before i know it my hair is hanging down to my waist when i dry it.
I agree. My hair was at almost waist length and I was obsessively watching it grow to that point, and it seemed to take forever...then a bunch of life happened and while I wasn't paying any attention it hit tb.

manderly
April 4th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Also, I must note that fish is not under the commonly accepted definition of vegetarian, because that includes all types of meat :) Just saying to inform you, no disrespect intended!

I think the correct term would be pescatarian :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism

julliams
April 5th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Could it be possible that your hair is curlier now? I know for example that having children changed my hair. Hormones play a role in hair changes. When you pull your hair to it's straight length, is that BSL or nearly to waist?

Also, think about how old you were when you were at waist? If you were a teen you may have been shorter then, so waist would not be as long for you. Just some things to think about regarding why this is happening.

GoddesJourney
April 5th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I think most people stall out around BSL because it gets more damaged at that point. You start getting it caught between you and your chair, etc. Also, as others have mentioned, it may just not be noticeable if half an inch grows because there is about a one to two inch span that can be called BSL. Put it up an try not to look at it for awhile.

Also, your hair is curly, so I too would like to know how you're measuring.

Furthermore, cold weather tends to make most people's hair grow slower.

LilyLu
April 5th, 2010, 06:16 PM
thanks for all the replies! I'm going to try wearing my hair up more, which will be difficult as I love having my hair down..i only know how to do a messy bun so I'll have to find some pretty updos!

do any of you recommend putting my hair up at night? I toss and turn alot and I think my hair gets pretty damaged from that..

Rivanariko
April 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM
The time of year definitely makes a difference for me. I can get almost an inch a month in the summer when I'm out in the sun all day, but during the winter, when the sun in scarce in these parts, I hit a stall around November and didn't get any growth again until February. It's growing again now, but not nearly as fast as it was last summer. I'm just trying to keep taking care of it and trusting that it will grow in time. It's a slow process, but try to have fun with your hair in the meantime. :)

spidermom
April 5th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Give it at least 2 years of consistent good care. Have a length picture taken about every 3 months, even once per month if you like. You will probably see progress. It takes years and years to grow long hair. I've been growing mine for 10 years now, but that includes a lot of trims.

xoxophelia
April 5th, 2010, 08:54 PM
When I was a vegetarian my hair greatly suffered. So I know you have to be extra careful to track your protein. Also.. if you color or heat style, it can sorta create a false terminal length. LHC will get you sorted out and you will have long hair in no time :)

tinkerbellisme
April 6th, 2010, 12:36 PM
thanks for all the replies! I'm going to try wearing my hair up more, which will be difficult as I love having my hair down..i only know how to do a messy bun so I'll have to find some pretty updos!

do any of you recommend putting my hair up at night? I toss and turn alot and I think my hair gets pretty damaged from that..
Check out the articles section for some updo how-tos:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=180

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235&highlight=video+instructions

Youtube is also a great place for help. Just a few to check out:

4ypn0tica (http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions?feature=mhw5#)
http://www.youtube.com/user/aeli92

http://www.youtube.com/user/CinnamonHair

http://www.youtube.com/user/Habioku

http://www.youtube.com/user/ilovegerardo

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige

These are just a few to get started with....many, many choices out there :D

As far as putting it up at night, I would totally recommend that! I put my hair up in a scrunchie bun and use a satin pillow case. I think thats when some of the worst damage can occur, is while we're sleeping.

Bonny
April 6th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I'm starting to wonder if the climate here (maritime canada) is not so great for hair growth, especially in winter..we dont get much sun, or heat until june.

Interesting. I'm in Dartmouth, NS right now.

My hair is growing painfully slow right now. If you've grown it to waist before, you're probably safe.

:waving: In Halifax, NS here! My hair usually grows a bit faster in the summer. But overall it shows average growth rate (half an inch a month), so the climate here doesn't seem to be affecting it in general. I do find it grows more slowly when I'm impatient. :silly:

lunagoose
April 6th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I am a vegetarian also but I do not eat fish/shrimp etc. because this is meat. I have never observed any hair deterioration or thinning due to being vegetarian as long as eat properly and take vitamins. Maybe you just need to let your hair grow on its own timing and you will be surprised-I never realized how long my hair got until one day I saw my hair from the back.

nikki_h_007
April 6th, 2010, 04:26 PM
i take a multivitamin and do deep conditions and am very nice to my hair (in my opinion) -if you dont want to wear your hair up at night try a silk pillow- ive got one and its really nice to sleep on too :)
however with all my love and attention my hair still splits and grows PAINFULLY slowly. aprox 1 inch in 3 months? but i know my hair will grow longer so i guess patience is the key!

also ive heard that having your hair tied up all the time actually is more damaging as each strand needs a bit of air and sunshine (like we do!) just make sure it doesnt get too knotty!

AgnesONutter
April 6th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Nothing to add, really. Just take it easy, relax, keep your hair out of harms way and it will probably start growing now when the season changes for the better again. :)

As for sleeping, I find I damage it more when I have it up since I am also a tosser and turner. Having it loose, thrown over the pillow, doesn't put as much stress on my roots as when my braid gets caught.