PDA

View Full Version : How To Do ACV Rinse?

tinkerbellisme
April 4th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I've read alot about ACV rinse but I have a few questions.

What does an ACV rinse do for your hair?

I have TB length, fairly thick 3Aish hair...would this work for me?

How do you do it? I know that it's mixed with water but do you apply and then rinse again with plain water or just leave it on?

What's a good ratio? I hear 50/50 alot, but is that just for certain hair types or everyone?

little_cherry
April 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Hi :)

An ACV rinse will smooth down the cuticle and add shine..it's fairly conditioning. What I do is add 2tbs of ACV to 2 cups of water....if you feel that is too much, just use 1tbs ACV per 2 cups of water. I have a bottle in the shower. Before I get in, I'll add the ACV and right at the end, I'll add the water to the bottle and pour it over my hair, let sit for a couple of minutes and then rinse off. For extra shine, you may do a cool water rinse.

50/50 may be way too harsh and may make hair feel oily.

anneisanne
April 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I use very diluted ACV- say, a tablespoon or less in a pint of water- and I use it after every wash. After washing and conditioning, I pour the ACV-water through my hair and over my scalp. I leave it on for a while, and then rinse it out with cool water. It makes my hair shinier.

Speckla
April 4th, 2010, 04:11 PM
2 tablespoons to 32oz of warm water. I lean over the sink and pour this over my head. The first time I used 32oz of ACV....lol. Misread/misunderstood directions.

Calista
April 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Acid rinses are especially important for those of us who use a soap-based washing method. If you use a conventional shampoo or conditioner for washing you might not feel the benefit of a vinegar rinse.

I use a 1:20 ratio - 50ml white vinegar in a 1l pitcher, and fill that up with warm tap water. My water is quite soft. If you have harder water you might want to up the vinegar. 50:50 sounds a bit much, though.

Cleopatra18
April 4th, 2010, 04:29 PM
2 tablespoons to 32oz of warm water. I lean over the sink and pour this over my head. The first time I used 32oz of ACV....lol. Misread/misunderstood directions.
omg you really did that? i used like 2 tablespoons once in 2 cups of water and my hair turned out HORRIBLE.god these hair experiments are hilarious sometimes:D

About the ACV rinse..what worked for me was 2 teaspoons in a large amount of water...i dont know how much was it i just filled this large bowl and added the ACV.Really dont underestimate that small amount of ACV..you dont really need alot of it to do the trick.

Kristin
April 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Reminds me of last weekend when I added ACV to my henna to help cover grays. I didn't know how much, so I added 1/4 cup. MISTAKE.

I haven't done an ACV rinse yet because I wasn't sure about the amount of ACV. I'll make sure I use the minimum, lol.

tinkerbellisme
April 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks so much for the great advice. I'm so glad I asked! I thought for sure that I had read 50/50. Now I don't know where I read that..lol. I guess that would have been...um...interesting...:agape:
I do a CWC weekly and then CO only once or twice during the rest of the week, depending on how my scalp is feeling.

I was a little afraid to try it, thinking that maybe it wouldn't be good for curlies.

misspriss
April 4th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I did ACV rinse tonight, I did a generous dash of ACV in a pitcher of water and poured it over my head...but for some reason I didn't rinse it very much, I thought the dillution would make it rise well. I smell kind of ACV-ish right now but I don't think it will hurt my hair.

inspiral
April 4th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I'm a curly and I love ACV rinses!!! it makes my hair soft and smooth and slippery.
I use the same approximate dilution as most of the other posters, i usually just eyeball it, a small splash in a bowl of water, and then swish it around and dunk my hair in it and let it sit for a minute, then pour it over my head and let that sit another minute, then rinse well to get rid of the smell, which i've never had an issue with.
i have heard of some people who put the acv in their hair before they condition, but i have not tried this yet....

Dars
April 4th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I mix up 100ml ACV to 570ml warm water. I apply it after I've rinsed off the conditioner and I do not rinse it out. It leaves my hair soft and defined.

Loreley
April 5th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Unfortunately, ACV rinse doesn't work for me. It makes my ends dry and I have tangles everywhere. And my ends fell crunchy. :confused:

Carolyn
April 5th, 2010, 06:13 AM
If I were you, I'd start with a mix ratio of 2T ACV to 2C water and then go from there. Experiment and see what it does for your hair. As for doing a final rinse, that's going to vary from person to person. Some people say they can small the vinegar if they don't do a final rinse. I never can so I don't always do one. If I have distilled water on hand, I'll sometimes to a final rinse with about 2C of distilled water.

tinkerbellisme
April 5th, 2010, 01:45 PM
inspiral (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=17312),

Wow..if ACV could make my curls look like yours, I'd do it every day! Beautiful hair!

I have one other question. Is there a reason for AC over any other type of vinegar or is it just a matter of smell?

minkstole
April 5th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I do vinegar rinses (AVC or if I´m out of that, regular vinegar). I always rinse it out afterwards, because I afraid I would smell like a salad otherwise. But maybe this is not a problem?

Fiferstone
April 5th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I LOVE ACV rinses. My main reason for doing it is to combat the super-hard water I've got. It's my final rinse in the shower (I don't wash it out afterward because I'm trying to avoid having mineral deposits from my water on my hair). My dilution is 1 teaspoon to 8 ounces of water. It will take some experimenting to find the dilution that works for you, or you may find it doesn't really do anything for you at all, your mileage may vary. The "salad dressing" smell is most noticeable when my hair is sopping wet. When it's dry, it just smells like hair :).

Puertoricangirl
July 9th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I just did an acv rinse a while ago for the first time. My hair loved it!!! It looks so shiny and barely had any tangles! I researched it and used the following method...I shampoo'd my hair with herbal essences sls free shampoo,rinsed it out, poored my diluted mix over my hair, left on about 2 minutes, conditioned, and then finished with a cold water rinse. For the acv mixture I used 1/3 cup of acv and 4 cups of water.

prettykitty
July 10th, 2012, 04:00 AM
I use a splash of ACV in a 750 ml (25oz?) bottle. I dip the length in, then pour it over. Leave a minute or two and rinse with cold water.

guns1969
July 10th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Interesting! Most of you rinse the ACV out afterwards. I leave mine in. but it doesn't smell once it dries. Maybe next time I'll rinse it off and see if there's a difference.

blaketob
July 10th, 2012, 05:34 AM
How often do you usually do ACV rinses? Is it every time you wash or is it a once a week type of thing?

shutterpillar
July 10th, 2012, 07:18 AM
When I mix mine, I mix 2 or 3 tbsp into about 32 oz of water. Then I CO, rinse, and pour the mix over my hair. Then I rinse again. All these rinses with cold water. :) I love ACV rinse days... my hair is always so soft and shiny afterwards.

I do this every wednesday.

MintChocChip
July 10th, 2012, 07:50 AM
What I do is put a tablespoon of ACV into a jug full of 8 liquid oz of water. Once I've washed and conditioned my hair (well CWC my hair) I dip the lengths of my hair into the jug for as long as I can manage it without getting bored. I then pour the rest of the solution onto my scalp and ends. I don't rinse off. The smell of vinegar does go as your hair dried (I love the smell of vinegar anyway, so it doesn't bother me in the least.)

I wash my hair twice a week and do this after every time.

HairySherry
July 10th, 2012, 08:30 AM
So glad I found this thread, I am going to be trying an ACV rinse very, very soon! I had no clue about the correct vinegar/water ratio, so thanks for the heads up! :)

Nymfora
July 10th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Would regular vinegar work?? And how would this work with soft water? Where I live I have very soft water :) still trying to get used to it lol.

Jas
October 18th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Sorry to hop onto a really old thread - just thought I'd use this as it already exists :)

I tried an ACV rinse last week and found my hair got extremely tangly and a lot more was coming out when I finger brushed it than usual - I used 1 tsp with a 500ml bottle of water. I shampoo'd my hair first, rinsed, poured the acv over my hair and left for a few minutes. My hair felt extremely dry though so decided I would rinse then condition.

When I got out of the shower my hair was so tangly and in clumps which were crazy hard to get out - I'm not sure quite where I went wrong as I've heard what a great detangler it is :/ I ended up putting a load of detangler on and leave in trying to separate it.