PDA

View Full Version : I don't even know what to do anymore..

Anywhere
April 4th, 2010, 03:10 PM
My body's been out of whack all this year so far and ever since about late January / early February my scalp has reverted to its crazy flaky ways, only worse. If I go more than two days between washes my hair gets very flakey, like so:

http://i39.tinypic.com/e9t8cj.jpg
and this
http://i44.tinypic.com/34hdqmd.jpg
I CO wash with Garnier Triple Nutrition two to three times a week. I've also been experiencing what seems like excessive shedding to me. Its itchy and if I run my fingers through my bangs I see a small shower of flakes fall out.

Ever since late February I've been considering cutting to APL, since seeing the flakes get stuck in my length is beginning to depress me, and I've hardly been happy with my hair since the beginning of the year. Its still stringy at the ends from my layers, and since they've been growing out with no trims it just looks like I have bad damage from the shoulders down.
My scalp doesn't feel oily, its just flakey..

I'm just hoping for either suggestions to fix the problem, or support for cutting my hair shorter, this has been a very stressful 3 months so far and it only feels like its getting worse. I've already cut off two inches of my hair but it's not looking any better to me, and I just need to do something. :cry:

ChloeDharma
April 4th, 2010, 03:20 PM
My first thought would be to get checked out by your doctor if this has come on suddenly, there might be a medical reason for this. Then i would evaluate your diet honestly and see if improvements could be made.
Usually for scalp flakes i find an infusion of rosemary used as a final rinse excellent but that might darken your lovely colour.
You could try oiling your scalp with neem oil mixed with another oil like jojoba or coconut......both of those could help if there is a fungal reason for this. Adding lavender essential oil could help as well. In fact to be honest i think the oils are the way to go.....if its just dry skin, they will help that, if its dandruff which is a fungal infection then they are anti-fungal, and if its product build up they will help soften it making it easier to remove when you wash.
You might also want to try exfoliating your scalp with a brown sugar scrub.
Good luck

manderly
April 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Isn't that a coney conditioner? Do you ever do a clarifying wash or a regular shampoo wash once and a while?

You may have buildup on your scalp, or the CO may aggravate the flakes (it did for me).

I would recommend you try replacing one of your CO washes with once a week dandruff shampoo like head and shoulders or neutrogena. Coat your length in conditioner to protect it from the poo, and dilute and apply with a little squirt bottle.

If that doesn't help after a little while, I would seek a doctor's advice :) HTH.

manderly
April 4th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Also, I occasionally do a heavy scalp oiling (since you say it's dry) something with tea tree or peppermint oil is very soothing for itchies. Just slather your scalp in oil, either use your fingertips and a vigorious massage or an applicator bottle to apply. Make yourself a grease monster and let it sit all day. Clean you house or something. Wash that out the next day.....you probably won't have much to wash since your scalp will end up drinking up most of it.

Peter
April 4th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I have a similar issue and your flakes look just like mine. Except I have black hair so they're really noticeable... do the flakes only show up when you itch your scalp or are they always there? I only have flake problems when I itch, so for me the itchiness is the real problem. Also, have you tried using SLS/non-SLS shampoo when washing, and if so, does anything change?

Manderly mentioned CO making the flaking worse. I agree with this since it did for me too. I asked if you've tried shampoo recently since for me, using a bit of diluted SLS shampoo significantly helps the scalp itchiness for the next week or so, which in turns helps with the flakes. I would suggest either trying shampoo or WO. The itchiness got a bit better when I stopped CO washing.

Hope this helps!

MissCoco
April 4th, 2010, 04:59 PM

merseaone
April 4th, 2010, 05:06 PM
My body's been out of whack all this year so far and ever since about late January / early February my scalp has reverted to its crazy flaky ways, only worse. If I go more than two days between washes my hair gets very flakey, like so:

http://i39.tinypic.com/e9t8cj.jpg
and this
http://i44.tinypic.com/34hdqmd.jpg
I CO wash with Garnier Triple Nutrition two to three times a week. I've also been experiencing what seems like excessive shedding to me. Its itchy and if I run my fingers through my bangs I see a small shower of flakes fall out.

Ever since late February I've been considering cutting to APL, since seeing the flakes get stuck in my length is beginning to depress me, and I've hardly been happy with my hair since the beginning of the year. Its still stringy at the ends from my layers, and since they've been growing out with no trims it just looks like I have bad damage from the shoulders down.
My scalp doesn't feel oily, its just flakey..

I'm just hoping for either suggestions to fix the problem, or support for cutting my hair shorter, this has been a very stressful 3 months so far and it only feels like its getting worse. I've already cut off two inches of my hair but it's not looking any better to me, and I just need to do something. :cry:

A beautician told a friend of mine who had bad dandruff to crush up an aspirin and put it in her shampoo. she did and it worked. Worth a try and cheap!

celelu
April 10th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Ok, I was just about to post an identical thread, with similar pictures. Why did my scalp turned so flaky, just as gradually as my lenght is getting better and better? No matter which shampoo I use: I'm switching right now between Jason Biotin, Jason 84% Aloe vera (both SLS free) Garnier fructis triple nutrition (which makes my hair go WOW) and Nature's Gate Pomegranate Sunflower (supposed to be natural). Even if they're totally different, they all make my scalp itchy and flaky after 12 to 24 hours. ACV with a few drops of rosemary or lavender oil doesn't help much.
I'm not really willing to use a dandruff shampoo. According to what I read here, I could either:
-Use pure lavender, rosemary or tea tree oil on my scalp and let it soothe there for a few hours OR
-Crush an aspirine and put it in my shampoo.
Or maybe monistat?
Help!!!

gnegirl
April 10th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Have you seen a dermatologist for this? There has to be something that is really irritating your scalp, maybe that you are allergic too or something.

baobhan sith
April 12th, 2010, 08:28 AM
It could also be internal, rather than external. I've never really had a problem with my scalp, but when I dont' get enough oils in my diet my skin dries out, and I get eczema. Maybe you need more good fats for your skin? I take cod liver oil, evening primrose oil and vitamin E, but even just a spoon of sunflower oil a day is good. But it tastes strange, so I take capsules.

camillacamilla
April 12th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Seeing that you have red hair, have you tried henna? According to mehandi.com, henna is good for dandruff , psoriasis, etc. Might be worth a try if you haven't already.

Peter
April 12th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Seeing that you have red hair, have you tried henna? According to mehandi.com, henna is good for dandruff , psoriasis, etc. Might be worth a try if you haven't already.
I agree, I've seen a few posts here about how henna really helped itchy scalp. Might be worth a try?

TinaDenali
April 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM
My scalp was like this for months. A couple weeks ago I broke down and just bought some dandruff shampoo. I was at my witts end, like you.
I bought Pert Plus. It's chock full of crap, but you know what? It worked, and that's all that matters to me. I only put it on my scalp and did my normal conditioner on my ends.

I don't think dandruff is worth chopping your gorgeous hair over. Try a few things (and maybe see your doctor, as a few other have mentioned) and it'll be gone soon.

joiekimochi
April 12th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I used to have that problem back during my crazy hormonal teenage days, and it would come back about once a year to haunt me, usually during big exam times. It would go away on its own after a week once my exams are over (strange but true).

However when I started CO-ing, the flakes and itchies came back with a vengeance, even though it's not even exam week! What cured it was a shampoo bar (which I had initially hated and wanted to throw out) which contained tea tree oil. Now I CWC every other day. The flakes have not resurfaced, hurrah!

So maybe it's just CO not working for you, or the wrong conditioner. Or the frequency of washing!

BrightEyes7
April 12th, 2010, 11:39 AM
My first instinct is that Garnier! I used it and it made my hair nice but made my scalp sooo itchy and flaky. I switched shampoos and it cleared up.

Maybe try clarifying... like a ACV rinse. CO may not be the way to go for you. I also second (or third or fourth?) the scalp oiling idea.

Worst case scenario try a dandruff shampoo. They aren't always the greatest 'poos but when I tried Head n' Shoulders it made my scalp pretty oily... maybe it will even your's out.

HTH! :D

spidermom
April 12th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I agree with a former post - don't assume it's external. Make sure your diet is well balanced, includes healthy oils like olive for the essential fatty acids, and it probably wouldn't hurt to take a vitamin/mineral supplement either. If you're doing the best you can do in that area with no relief, try switching to a very simple shampoo with few ingredients (like Neutrogena)and add a little tea tree oil to it. Or try a dandruff shampoo. In either case, drench the ends in conditioner first so they don't dry out.

I hope you find a solution soon.

Olivia23
April 13th, 2010, 06:21 AM
I had the same problem recently so I now buy my shampoo from health food stores because the SLS in shampoos caused my dandruff/itchiness. Also I bought tea tree oil and put about two drops in my shampoo (I saw on here someone suggested letting tea tree oil sit on your scalp but you must dilute it first), and I only use the no cones Suave condish in my hair. Now I am flake free!

You ought to google tea tree oil and read all the great stuff it does. It's good for dandruff, acne, lice, toe nail fungus, etc.

aisling
April 13th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Seriously, stop CO:ing! That's really the first step you should take, other internal or external problems aren't as obvious as the fact that you CO and with a conditioner most CO:ers wouldn't use. Wash a few times with a normal shampoo, oil your scalp to try to get rid of those flakes and if you want to try CO:ing again, use another product.

pelicano
April 15th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I agree - I have a really problematic scalp, and I can't put conditioner of any kind anywhere near my scalp.

jera
April 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Have you tried Neem oil? It doesn't smell pleasant but is excellent for clearing up dry scalp conditions. :)

Bianca
April 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I think the Garnier triple nutrition is WAY too heavy for CO washing. I use it as my second conditioner, and a much lighter one as my CO wash. I use a Danish brand, but a lot use vo5 or suave, I think ? Not sure. But try too find a lighter conditioner. And then use the Garnier as the second one, if your hair needs it, from the ears down.

I use it every other time, it's so great. I have like 10 bottles. And no, it doesn't have any cones :)

Sheltie_Momma
April 15th, 2010, 03:27 PM
It is that Garnier fructis triple nutrition - makes me flake like crazy (although my hair loves it). My personal totally non scientific theory is that if you are prone to sebum build up that garnier products do not break it down well and so it build up and then eventually flakes off. This is why I think people (or maybe just me) can use Garnier fructic triple nutrition a couple of times and think wow, but then after a while it builds up into major flakage. Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not seeing how flakes at the scalp would cause you to want to cut your hair, because then it would just be short and flaky? best wishes to you and please consider that it might be the Garnier, several of us have experienced the same thing.

TiaKitty
April 15th, 2010, 03:46 PM
My thought was the Garnier, too.

I tried it once and it made my head crazy itch.

Then I saw the commercial that shows avacado oil. I'm allergic to avacados, and a few other tropical fruits related to a latex allergy. The Fructis part should have clued me in that I needed to *read the label!*

Best of luck. There are some great hints here!

IndigoAsh
April 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Omg, thank God!! I am not the only one with this issue. I noticed that when I had run out of my shampoo bar and used my SLS shampoo it came back over night. Been washing with my extra shampoo bar(to ears) and conditioning the ends of my hair(ears down). It has made a huge difference. I also do coconut oil on my scalp and kind of brush my scalp, if that makes any sense at all. I have a brush I use just for it and it makes a huge difference. Rinses out all the flakes, and than I blow dry the top of my head with the cold burst at the roots to kind of blow off what's left of the flakes.

Don't cut your hair T.T It won't make a difference and you'll feel even worse.