PDA

View Full Version : Lighter colored ends?

pinklemonade
April 4th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hello dear LHC members! I recently noticed that the bottom inches of my hair are lighter than the rest of my hair and I can't figure out why! I definitely don't like it.
I notice the difference especially when I put my hair up and let the ends cover my head (the contrast is so obvious). I have dark brown/almost black hair and the bottom part of my hair is a really light brown!!! I've never dyed my hair so I'm beginning to worry...could it be damage? :confused: Does that happen to anyone? I also suspect something else though because I noticed this more when I started to use honey masks/honey mixed with my conditioner, and olive oil on my ends. I stopped using both but I'm really upset about stopping the olive oil because it really helped me with my dryness/split ends problem. Still, I really don't want my dark hair going almost blonde in the sunlight! Is it a myth that olive oil lightens the hair? I also did use molasses for a while but I think that should darken the hair if anything, not lighten right? Any suggestions?

Speckla
April 4th, 2010, 01:35 PM
My ends are lighter and I have no chemical dyes or bleach in my hair. I use no heat and haven't for a long time. I think the older sections just fade due to age and perhaps exposure to the sun? I use henna once a month and my ends are slightly brighter red due to being lighter than the rest. I've use olive oil, coconut oil, honey, vinegar and a lot of other things and those didn't change my hair.

SheaLynne
April 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I'm no expert and really don't have an answer for you, but wanted to say that I have the same thing. My buns look much lighter and more red than the hair close to my scalp. I don't like it either, but I figure some of that is normal. Just wear and tear on hair that has been around and exposed alot longer.

However, I also attribute some of mine to lots of blowdrying and flatironing when those ends were shoulder length or so. I'm trimming monthly right now so that eventually those ends will be gone and I expect that when I get to gently treated ends, they will look better. Also, I'm trying to cover my hair when out in the sun much, as well.

HTH!

Capybara
April 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Maybe the lighter ends are bleached by the sun. If you live in a cooler climate, your hair usually gets darker (the new growth, at least) during the winter :)

pinklemonade
April 4th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks ladies! Glad to know I'm not the only one in this situation...Speckla, I read in several places that olive oil contains a certain something -I forget what- that can have a lightening effect I hope it's not true! I love Olive oil!!!

Shealynne, yes I've used the blow dryer a lot. And flat ironed. And permed.....ok no wonder my ends are lighter lol
That's great that you're trimmin monthly...wish I could but I'm not cutting my hair, trying to let it grow finally. Hopefully these lighter ends don't look that bad...:o

Capybara, yes that is definitely a factor! I do wear a hat sometimes in the sun, but my ends are out there absorbing rays yikes! BTW, I saw your pic in one of your recent posts, you and your hair are so pretty! :)

Sarahmoon
April 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM
It's very slight sun bleaching which, over the years, can make quite a difference. I do have it even though I never wear my hair down outside when it's wet. I actually prefer to let it dry indoors completely in summer, but that's not always possible.

Capybara
April 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Awh, thank you so much! :flowers:

I was just comparing the ends of my hair to the roots, and the ends are quite a bit lighter. I should probably look into wearing hats more often as well... :agree:

deko
April 4th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Lighter ends are dye damage or / and old age & sun exposure. I had light ends when I dyed my hair with chemical dyes. The color wouldn't stick to my ends anymore. When I started to henna my ends grapped the color and now my ends are almost purple while my overall color is flame red. It's got to be the dye damage.

anneisanne
April 4th, 2010, 02:54 PM
My hair fades with sun exposure, and so my ends are lighter and reddish, as compared to the dark dark brown that the rest of it is. I don't mind it, myself- I love the red highlights I get, and I figure that the fading is a natural result of having long hair.

rusika1
April 4th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I think many if not most people with long hair have this happen. Think about it--even if you never color or use heat on your hair, and wear protective styles at all times this will probably happen. There are still times your hair is going to be exposed to sunlight, even if it's just walking to your office from the parking lot, or walking across campus to class. Now let's say the ends of your hair are ten years old--that means your ends have also received ten years worth of sunlight. And we all know sunlight fades things over time, right?

Personally, I've always sort of liked the effect, and I think it makes it pretty obvious that your hair is all yours, not extensions or a wig...

merseaone
April 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Maybe the lighter ends are bleached by the sun. If you live in a cooler climate, your hair usually gets darker (the new growth, at least) during the winter :)

That is the answer right there: sun!