PDA

View Full Version : buns are tangling my hair

Cleopatra18
April 4th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I really need help cause i am bunning my hair like 24/7 and god it's hell when i take it down:(,It's always very stringy (big thick strings and TINY ones) and my roots are very tangled.I'm having a really hard time dealing with this and im not sure my conditioner is helping much with detangling even thought its pretty thick and creamy and has cones too(which i think should provide slip?).
if there's something i could put on my roots to make them softer and not as tangly i would love to know.
BTW i do the regular buns where you twist ur hair and wrap it around the base etc...I dont know how to do any other style of buns,i tried braiding but i had the same problem with my roots and i think my ends suffered.=/

Sarahmoon
April 4th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I can't quite figure out how your roots are getting tangly :? I assume it happens also during the day, not just after sleeping.
Do you rest your head against the back of your car seat, for example? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

bumblebums
April 4th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I think we need more information.

1. What is your current hair length?
2. Do you use a rubber band or an elastic to hold the bun up, or do you use a hair stick (or some other accessory)?
3. What is the condition of your hair? Is it dyed, permed, etc.?

Other than that, I would recommend trying a braided bun or a bun that requires no twisting, such as a Nautilus. Lots of videos on youtube that explain how to do these, but your hair has to be pretty long for some of the buns.

Cleopatra18
April 4th, 2010, 02:03 PM
my hair is almost at hip and its not exposed to any kind of chemicals except for some serious heat last year.i use a rubber band to hold the bun.
@ sarahmoon i know wat you mean and yes i think the reason it gets tangly is pretty close to that.and yes it does happen all day. =/

Sarahmoon
April 4th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I was thinking it could make quite a difference for you to use a clip/fork/hair sticks instead of rubber bands or scrunchies. But that would not explain how your roots can get tangled when you wear your hair in a braid. Unless you start them from a high ponytail, maybe.

dancingbarefoot
April 4th, 2010, 02:25 PM
My hair will tangle in an updo if it's not held particularly tight, such that the hair is rubbing against itself. If the updo is firmly secured to my head, though, that doesn't happen.

spidermom
April 4th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Rubber bands are notorious for peeling away cuticle when you remove them or they slide from the style sagging. This is probably why your hair is tangling at the roots - roughened, grabby cuticle.

flowerlovelong
April 4th, 2010, 02:35 PM
you could try using coconut or jojoba oil as a "leave-in" to help keep the strands smooth. it may help the hair cuticles lay so that hairs slide instead of friction.

Cleopatra18
April 4th, 2010, 02:37 PM
well yes my bun is always sagging i can never seem to make it tight enough...at some point i just thought that loose buns are better as there is not much tension in the hair:shrug:
i can relate also to the hair rubbing against each other as im starting to think that i dont oil my roots enough as my length which may cause them to be kind of dry,also my hair is rly wavy so i dont know if this fact contributes to the tangling mess as well:confused:
thank you all for your responses.I have been having really hard time figuring this out by myself.any more opinions will be greatly appreciated:)

Toothe
April 5th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Maybe you have buildup from your conditioner? You could try clarifying. You might even consider switching to a cone-free conditioner--your hair might just hate cones.

Do you make sure it's detangled before bunning? Do you have one of the great big wide-toothed combs for detangling? I find that anything with smaller teeth seems to just make more tangles.

You could try a lazy wrap bun held with a stick. This doesn't require any twisting or elastics. The instructions are in the articles section and it's really easy once you figure out how it goes.