PDA

View Full Version : Products for air drying hair

davidspd
April 4th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what products you all use on your hair when you air dry it, if any? I currently CO wash, but have recently started swimming and my hair is suffering despite using a swimming cap. My old technique of just air drying without any product isn't cutting the mustard anymore. Suggestions please :)

Gabriel
April 4th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Is your hair still getting wet with chlorine water/salt water while using the swim cap?

You could possibly slather your hair in your favorite conditioner before slipping your swim cap on. Just check to make sure it won't damage it or make it too loose.

You could make a blend of conditioner/water and just soak your hair with that before hand as well instead of straight conditioner.

Any damage from possibly getting wet while swimming would be lessened greatly if your hair can't soak up any "swimming" water.

If it's acting up from being in the swim cap and not getting wet, re-wet your hair and try using a little of your favorite conditioner as a leave in.

I'm kind of guessing here though. What kind of issues is your hair having lately when you air dry it?

Is it too dry? Frizzy? Fly away? Lank?

Details please so we can help! :)

I have been using an olive oil and catnip infusion I made on my length, when I air dry. Sometimes I'll use coconut oil on my length as well. It helps keep things smooth and shiny. I apply it to my freshly washed hair, although I can smooth the olive oil insfusion on my dry hair as well without any problem if I need to.

ChloeDharma
April 4th, 2010, 07:28 AM
A couple of drops of jojoba oil mixed with a bit of aloe gel makes a great leave in i find.

Vermelha
April 4th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Just oil. Coconut and castor oils are my favorite. I apply quite a bit of this to my hair and let it airdry in a banded ponytail.

Heidi_234
April 4th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Make sure you CO out the chlorine using a conditioner that contains EDTA. It's a chelating agent that neutralizes chlorine. As a regular swimmer, I used to apply EDTA containing conditioner on my hair before putting the swim cap too, so that when my hair got damp, less chlorine was damaging my hair. During that entire time my hair did not get any worse, even though I swam 2-4 times a week for months. :)

davidspd
April 4th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the quick replies folks.

Gabriel - My hair gets wet even though i'm wearing a swimming cap. I just assumed this is what happened to everybody, is it just me? As for what the problem is, it's turning into a dry frizzy uncontrollable nightmare.

Heidi - Just checked my conditioner and it doesn't have EDTA listed as one of the ingredients, does it go by any other name?

Gill

Heidi_234
April 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Heidi - Just checked my conditioner and it doesn't have EDTA listed as one of the ingredients, does it go by any other name?

Gill
Usually they just shorten it to EDTA, or Disodium EDTA at best, but according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDTA)these are alternative names:

EDTA, H4EDTA, Diaminoethane-tetraacetic acid, Edetic acid, Edetate, Ethylenedinitrilo-tetraacetic acid, Versene, ethylenediamine-tetraacetate
I have mostly seen it as EDTA. It's a very common ingredient in hair care and body soaps too. You might like to look for another conditioner that contains it, I'm sure you'll find it with no problems.