PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a brushaholic

lynnala
May 4th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Hello, my name is lynnala, and I am a brushaholic. I tried combing, I really did. After I joined LHC I realized that brushing might not be the healthiest thing for my hair. I tried a wooden comb, it felt like I was trying to comb my hair with a piece of, well, a piece of wood. I got out my lovely old Kent comb. Combed my hair, but left me unsatisfied. Like a day without coffee. Got out the boar bristle brush. Boaring. Tried a wooden brush, love the way if feels on my scalp, but it makes my hair stringy. THEN.....I got a Denman D3 nylon brush (thank you teacherbear!!). Oh my. It goes deep to my scalp, makes it feel all tingly. It glides through my hair, makes it all soft and shiny. Now I brush morning, noon and night. I can't stop. I WON'T stop! I can't help myself, it just feels too good!:lala:

GlennaGirl
May 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Ooh. That tingle, tingle, tingle. I love it too.

ilovelonghair
May 5th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I also started brushing. I used a comb for many years but brushing is so nice for the scalp!

Shanarana
May 5th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Well you just go girl!!! :)

Radulfr
May 5th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I had to brush too, until I bought a wide-tooth comb. Now I can comb with ease. :)

Silver & Gold
May 5th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I love that tingle too, but I've never been able to get it as well with a brush as when I use one of my bone combs and scritch. Soooooo nice. Like a belly rub to a dog.

Shield31
May 5th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Me too, Me too, Me too:cloud9:

I keep a brush and large tooth'd comb nearby and use them regularly through the day. I try and keep my hair in line and looking nice and neat :).

After any amount of activity, I'm right back to the brush and comb to get all the strays back into line. But then, I keep my hair free and moving most of the time. So the chance to manage it comes around often.

And I love the :lala:

Kiraela
May 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Another brushaholic here, I even wrote a haiku about it(over on the haiku thread)..

hairbrush - devil's tool
and yet I can't resist it
nice, sleek shiny waves

I say, as long as we brush carefully, we shouldn't have any more problems than combers, right?

lynnala
May 6th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Another brushaholic here, I even wrote a haiku about it(over on the haiku thread)..

hairbrush - devil's tool
and yet I can't resist it
nice, sleek shiny waves

I say, as long as we brush carefully, we shouldn't have any more problems than combers, right?That's right, and we'll be sooo much happier! ;) Love the haiku!

Riot Crrl
May 6th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I tried to give it up too and couldn't! So I got a Denman too.

Kiraela
May 7th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks! I came up with that last night, as I was brushing my hair before bed.. it snagged on a tangle and I muttered 'devil tool..." before gently working out the tangle. If it had been my comb, I'd have gotten frustrated and ripped it through, eventually.

Anybody else think comb handles are just plain uncomfortable?

lynnala
May 7th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Anybody else think comb handles are just plain uncomfortable?Yes, thank you! Flat, uncomfortable. One of the pleasant surprises with the Denman brush is the weight it has, really helps it glide through the hair.

Kiraela
May 7th, 2008, 04:42 PM
where can I find out about this brush? It sounds lovely.

lynnala
May 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM
where can I find out about this brush? It sounds lovely.I bought mine on eBay, it was $11 with shipping and came with a free little purse brush. Here is a link to the official Denman site, you can get an overview of the brushes there:
http://www.denmanbrush.com/?gclid=CN6A5OvBlZMCFSmkiQod5wU_yg
Many of the expensive ones are just because of the colors and designs, the basic models are quite inexpensive. I bought the classic D3, I know that the wider D4 is popular too. You can also get them on amazon.com Oh, here is the seller I bought it from on eBay, they have more:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230247110288&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=013

Kiraela
May 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Ahh. It's quite a bit like the brush I already have then! Except mine was only 2.99 ;)

LifeisAdventure
May 7th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Yet another brushaholic here! No comb can satisfy my need for smooth, luscious waves... and then there's that TINGLE that only a brush can deliver! :)

I'm in serious needs of a new brush anyhow, I think I'll look into these Denmans or similar!

lynnala
May 7th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Ahh. It's quite a bit like the brush I already have then! Except mine was only 2.99 ;)That's what I thought too, until I got the Denman. Completely different than any brush I've ever had.

Jeni
May 8th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Hi, my name is Jeni, and I too am a brushaholic. People can get my brush when they pry it from my cold dead hand! Nothing makes my hair as smooth and shiny as a brush. Combs have there place, and that's in my shower to comb conditioner threw and later comb my wet hair. Once my hair is dry, I use a brush.

I know people say combs are nicer on your hair, but whats the point of healthy nice hair if I hate they way it looks? So far I brush carefully and I haven't noticed any damage.....

lynnala
May 8th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I know people say combs are nicer on your hair, but whats the point of healthy nice hair if I hate they way it looks? Hear hear, Jeni!

sandrak
May 8th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Yes, I am a brushaholic too! I brush at least 10 times a day. I know I probably shouldn't, but it is a habit that I can't seem to break. I should check out one of those Denman brushes.

kimberlily
May 8th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I'm a brusher, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. My hair eats combs. I'm a M/C iii, so I have to comb my hair in layers. By the time I'm done, the underside is tangled again. Not so with my Denman! These brushes are the best, IMO. LisaJaney sold me on them, and I'm so glad she did :D I have a blue D4, and if I ever lost it, I would be devastated :lol:

heidihug
May 8th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I am definitely a brushaholic. I either finger comb (when wet) or brush (when dry). I've tried about 6 different kinds of wide-toothed combs, and disliked all of them - they get caught too much and it takes forever to comb all of my hair. I also have tried a Denman nylon brush, and the bristles were much too close together for my liking. I have finally pulling the trigger and ordering a Denman D200 vented brush on eBay, as it has all the features I love - fewer and round-tipped bristles, no seams (yay!) and a good reputation. FYI, I do not blow-dry my hair, I just prefer the type of brush that is made for blow-drying. I'll report back with how I like it.

Loviatar
May 8th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I love my Denman. I have a D3 diamante black, and I love it. The black is coming off in places I have had it for so long.

Combs are good, and I would never swap my wide tooth Mason Pearson for anything, ditto my Heavenly Harvest horn comb, but there is nothing better on my scalp than that little black Denman D3.

Spread the D3 love! :)

embee
May 8th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Brushaholic here, checking in! I have a Denman D3 I got at Sally's for not much money at all.

Brushing rocks!

Kirin
May 8th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Brushaholics, unite!!!!

Yup, I join your proud ranks, no shame at all far as I am concerned. I bbb nightly..... probably longer than i should, it feels soooo good. My hair is very fine so the bbb goes right to the scalp, no problem. My hair just feels luscious after brushing..... something a comb just simply wont do for me!

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Hello, my name is lynnala, and I am a brushaholic. I tried combing, I really did. After I joined LHC I realized that brushing might not be the healthiest thing for my hair. I tried a wooden comb, it felt like I was trying to comb my hair with a piece of, well, a piece of wood. I got out my lovely old Kent comb. Combed my hair, but left me unsatisfied. Like a day without coffee. Got out the boar bristle brush. Boaring. Tried a wooden brush, love the way if feels on my scalp, but it makes my hair stringy. THEN.....I got a Denman D3 nylon brush (thank you teacherbear!!). Oh my. It goes deep to my scalp, makes it feel all tingly. It glides through my hair, makes it all soft and shiny. Now I brush morning, noon and night. I can't stop. I WON'T stop! I can't help myself, it just feels too good!:lala:

Hehe. I sometime feel like I **have** to brush too. :shrug:

Kiraela
May 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM
They sell Denman brushes at Sallys? I'll have to go next time we're in town and see if my store has them. Although, DBF is already complaining about me spending too much on hairstuff already, and I'm only gettting conditioners and the occasional shampoo, LOL! I'll probably just use my cheap brush until I wear it into the ground, hehe. I like the ball-tipped bristles too, btw. that's why I had to get rid of my last brush. Perfect weight, perfect smoothing ability, Gorgeous dark red satiny color... but the balls were wearing right off the ends!
And don't you know it, it's been discontinued. :(!

gretchen_hair
May 8th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Hi, i am gretchen_hair and i too adore brushing.

kimberlily
May 9th, 2008, 01:24 PM
They sell Denman brushes at Sallys? I'll have to go next time we're in town and see if my store has them. Although, DBF is already complaining about me spending too much on hairstuff already, and I'm only gettting conditioners and the occasional shampoo, LOL! I'll probably just use my cheap brush until I wear it into the ground, hehe. I like the ball-tipped bristles too, btw. that's why I had to get rid of my last brush. Perfect weight, perfect smoothing ability, Gorgeous dark red satiny color... but the balls were wearing right off the ends!
And don't you know it, it's been discontinued. :(!

Not anymore. They stopped carrying them about 5-6 months ago :(

Islandgrrl
May 9th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I confess. I hate combing my hair. But I looooooooooooove brushing with my bamboo bristled brush (Widu). It's like heaven on my head!!!

Kiraela
May 9th, 2008, 03:40 PM
aww, crap then. I guess I won't go shopping for a new brush any time soon then, :(

nomadhome
May 10th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I confess. I hate combing my hair. But I looooooooooooove brushing with my bamboo bristled brush (Widu). It's like heaven on my head!!!

I don't brush currently, but I like the idea of Widu brushes. Which one do you use? It seems like there is the regular brush and then one with extra long bristles.

heidihug
May 13th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I have finally pulling the trigger and ordering a Denman D200 vented brush on eBay, ... I'll report back with how I like it.
I got it yesterday! Here's what it looks like - it's not pink, it's purple, though: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=140230438767 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=140230438767)

The bristles are a bit shorter than I would have liked, but otherwise it's great! There are no seams - it's all molded from one piece of plastic, which is wonderful, as my fine hair gets caught in any seams, and sometimes even where the bristles meet the brush. I am pretty sure it's now my favorite brush, and I've only used it once.

kimberlily
May 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM
aww, crap then. I guess I won't go shopping for a new brush any time soon then, :(

You can buy them online. I got mine from www.ballbeauty.com :) Mine is a translucent blue D4. If only they made a purple one, I'd be in seventh heaven!

ETA: here's the page for the regular Denman styling brushes: http://www.ballbeauty.com/dentrad.htm

Kiraela
May 13th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks!

I tend to only buy things in person though, since I can feel the differences between option A and B, you know?

Tis the same reason I make all my own hairsticks, etc, and am starting to make my own clothes... that way I can pick/make exactly what i want.

Teacherbear
June 8th, 2008, 11:34 PM
THEN.....I got a Denman D3 nylon brush (thank you teacherbear!!). Oh my. It goes deep to my scalp, makes it feel all tingly. It glides through my hair, makes it all soft and shiny. Now I brush morning, noon and night. I can't stop. I WON'T stop! I can't help myself, it just feels too good!:lala:

Yay! Lynnala, I just saw this! I'm so glad you like your Denman . . . now you need to get some others so you can use the brush that suits your mood for the day! :whistle: Not that I know anyone who does this . . . :wannabe:

Hypnotica
June 9th, 2008, 12:08 AM
You say "brushaholics" like it's a bad thing...?

Carina
June 9th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Yay! Lynnala, I just saw this! I'm so glad you like your Denman . . . now you need to get some others so you can use the brush that suits your mood for the day! :whistle: Not that I know anyone who does this . . . :wannabe:

I'm so busted Teacherbear:o:o:o:p:p:p lol.I have seven brushes and five combs:D

Pikkukala
June 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I'm a brushaholic - and I'm also the same as several people in this thread in liking the feeling of brushing. I normally use cheap avon brushes, but I'm going to have a look around and see if I can find another brush I like which is a bit better for my hair.

By the way, for people in the UK - Boots stock those Denman brushes. Went and got myself one after reading the comments on here - and it seems pretty good so far, but I'm fairly fussy about my brushes. :)

Isilme
June 9th, 2008, 12:27 PM
would detangling with a denman brush be totally hair friendly? I would love to be able to brush now and then.

sibylla
June 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM
BBB -aholic here!!!!!!

It´s a pampering feeling, a bit sensual I feel to stroke ones long hair with a brush.

It also reminds me of my grandmother in Spain who loved to brush my hair when I was a little girl. (I´m getting a tattoo of her btw).

lynnala
June 9th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Yay! Lynnala, I just saw this! I'm so glad you like your Denman . . . now you need to get some others so you can use the brush that suits your mood for the day! :whistle: Not that I know anyone who does this . . . :wannabe:Hee hee hee, I figured you'd find your way to this thread eventually. I do have a little purse Denman that came for free with the D3....but you're right, I need one for every mood, and near every chair! Sometimes I'll get up in the middle of watching a movie or something, and run and get my Denman just because I feel like brushing my hair RIGHT NOW!!!!

lynnala
June 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM
would detangling with a denman brush be totally hair friendly? I would love to be able to brush now and then.I think the Denman works great for detangling, even with wet hair. It's kind of like a cross between a comb and a brush.

Mely
June 9th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I ordered a Denman brush after reading this thread last night. A D5 (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=320255339074).

lynnala
June 9th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I ordered a Denman brush after reading this thread last night. A D5 (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=320255339074).Great, hope you like it! I think that's the same seller I bought mine from.

Riot Crrl
June 9th, 2008, 09:27 PM
When I use the Denman, I do use my wide tooth comb first just for extra detangling insurance, if that helps anyone. :)