PDA

View Full Version : Knot Anxiety

Sofoulee
May 4th, 2008, 11:29 PM
So I've had a few really big knots in my hair lately.. it's ultra fine, so when I have to use a big glob of condish and slowly try to work out the knot to no prevail a few times I start thinking that the ends of my hair are now done for and I am due for a dusting.

I'm a little apprehensive to do this because I kind of just want to let it grow for a few more months for the length, but I also want to try and keep it healthy.

So are the recent knots really my hair telling me it's time for a trim, or is it just my nerves getting the best of me?

Thanks guys.

Mely
May 4th, 2008, 11:35 PM
When do the knots seem to be forming? You could try to keep it braided or in a bun during activities that seem to knot it. I know for me going out in the wind will do it, or driving with a window down. I never do these things with my hair loose.

frizzinator
May 4th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Maybe the knots are telling you that you wear your hair down too much, and that your hair wants to be protected in an updo!

Sofoulee
May 4th, 2008, 11:38 PM
That might be the problem, I'll try to wear it up more... but should I still go for a trim?

Riot Crrl
May 4th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Stay with it a couple weeks and see if it's a consistent result is my opinion.

Even if you do need a trim, it doesn't mean you have to stay at this length or anything. Unevenness and stuff can make more tangles, and you could grow it longer after if you do decide to have a trim.

I know straight hair gets tangled too, but LOL curly hair. If my shoelaces looked like my hair I think they would just tie themselves.

birdiefu
May 5th, 2008, 05:53 AM
When's the last time you clarified? Tangly ends can be a sign of buld-up, too. If you don't want a trim and you have splits causing the tangling, a good S&D session can help.

Speedbump
May 5th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I would try wearing it up for a couple of weeks first as previously suggested before trimming. I have the same knot troubles that you have when it's time to trim, but these problems were greatly reduced when I started wearing my hair up or in a braid all the time. You may be able to cut the knots out over the next two weeks, and if none or far fewer appear, then I would call the updos a success. :)

asantegold
May 5th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I think you should try wearing it so the ends are secure and not free flowing. It could just be that your hair is getting longer, and curly hair tends to tangle as it gains length if its not secured.

Sofoulee
May 6th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I will definently wait a few weeks before I start to do any trimming. It's just that it's finally gained some length and I'm just attached to it.. haha. Seriously.:cool:

I've worn it up everyday since I've replied to this thread and haven't had any more major problems in the shower.