PDA

View Full Version : Video Tutorial: The Show-Off Bun

manderly
April 3rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
I got this pretty Titanic replica comb from an etsy seller, and while lovely, it's a bit topheavy and more of a french twist comb than say, a baerris comb or whatnot. Because of it's topheaviness and closeness of tines, it's not particularly great for actual french twists or anchoring other buns, so I set out to find a way to show off my unweildy new toy.

This bun is essentially a cinnabun, but it's created around the fork, as opposed to created, then anchored by the fork. The fork is merely decorative and the bun is anchored by my invisible pins (upins, good day hairpins, bobby pins, etc).

Once I created it, I realized I liked the way my prettier toys looked in it rather than anchoring other buns. This works for all types of forks, combs, and sticks. Whether they are too weak to hold your hair, too fragile, or you just need a better way to "show them off", this is a great bun to use.

Regular cinnabun:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG2390.jpg
The fork looks like an afterthought to me. It gets shoved up to the top at an odd angle and the focus is the hair (which hey, we're all about the hair here, but I want people to love my fork!)

Show-off bun:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG2388.jpg
The fork is now more central to the style.

Show-off bun video tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrJZXYHEEr4)

My preferred way to wear it (less base twisting):
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG2391.jpg
This is the bun if you use less twisting at the base. This is actually how I wear it. I didn't demonstrate it this way because it's a tad trickier due to the lack of twisting, and I wanted you to first understand what was going on with the fork and the wrapping. Just be sure to make the first wrap snug - remember, that's what's holding your fork in.

The show-off bun is a moderately stable, FLAT (the untwisted one is like a pancake on the back of my head :lol:), large bun that looks great with your pretty toys.

NOTE: When wearing this be careful when you lean or bend your head too forward. A heavy, slippery fork or stick can and will slide out of the top. Remember you've essentially created a pocket to hold your fork upright. ;)

ravenreed
April 3rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
I will give it a try. I wore my butterfly dancing and it didn't stay in very well, even with a bunch of pins to support it. Maybe this style will be more secure since it is trapped in the coils rather than trying to support them.

ninelifewriter5
April 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
That fork is really pretty! And the bun looks nice, too. I see what you mean about the fork being more shown off in your bun type. I will definitely be trying this later! Thank you!

manderly
April 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
I will give it a try. I wore my butterfly dancing and it didn't stay in very well, even with a bunch of pins to support it. Maybe this style will be more secure since it is trapped in the coils rather than trying to support them.

You can stab the base of the pony with the fork prior to wrapping instead of just laying it on top. That may add even more stability but I haven't done any real stability tests.

A note I didn't mention (will ETA main): especially if your topper is heavy, be careful when bending or leaning your head too far over. The fork can slip right out since it's just tucked into a pocket, really.

long.again
April 3rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Great bun. What's funny is that my mom and I were just talking about the titanic hair the other night and I was trying to find pictures online of it. I so want that comb!

SimplyViki
April 3rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Cool! :thumbsup: I'll give it a try one of these days, as I have that exact fork. My hair's awfully slippery, though, so I think I'll probably go ahead and stab it into the base first, to try and prevent it from slipping out (that butterfly seems so very fragile!)

BTW, dumb, random question - has anybody ever told you you look kind of like Amy Lee? 'Cause you kind of do in that video.

manderly
April 3rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
Haha, nope, I had to google her to see who she was. Thank you for that :flowers:

My hair is generally not straight, so that may have added to me looking like her. Straight hair makes for easier tutorials. :p

ETA: Placing it at less of an angle and more up and down will help to secure it as well :) Please post photos if you ever try it out. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with "problems" figuring out what to do with this fork :lol:

SimplyViki
April 3rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
Will do! I made some kind of a bun with that fork once, but I can't for the life of me remember which one it was... maybe the lazy wrap, but I'm not sure. The tines on mine are awfully sharp-edged, though, so I'm kind of scared to use it much. I've really got to find my nail file... :rolleyes: