PDA

View Full Version : Accutane and scalp health/dryness

Boudicca
April 3rd, 2010, 10:51 AM
Hi. I've recently started a course of accutance, and have noticed that my scalp has become dryer and flaky (almost a bit sore, too). I usually feel the need to wash again on maybe the second night after washing; I'm now four days after my last wash and still no oiliness. I've read that this oil reduction on the scalp can lead to hairloss and was wondering: is there any treatment (internal or external) I can use to alleviate this scalp dryness?

I'm really, really scared of hairloss and any advice on how I can pamper and protect my hair during this course of medication would be very much appreciated. :)

Sara_1987
April 3rd, 2010, 11:35 AM
I was on accutane twice (best decision ever by the way! I hope you will get as good results as I did!).

I never had scalp problems, but I did get dry hair.
I oiled my hair a lot.
For your scalp maybe you could try Dr Hauschka's Neem hair oil? I use that a lot and it's great for normalizing and soothing my scalp when it's irritated.

Good luck!

Oskimosa
April 3rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
I was on accutane once, and had shorter hair. I always washed it every day. I do not remember a problem with dry scalp, just with dry mouth. Had to stop using acne wash.

Unrelated, but a side note.... both my sister were on it, and experienced moderate depression from it. It is a side effect we were NOT informed of through our Dr. I don't have anything else to add to that but, I always make it a point to mention to people who are on accutane, so they don't have the confusion we did when we encountered this side effect.

crystal_k
April 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
does anyone know where i can buy reputable genuine accutane over the internet iis a major pain to go through the whole process in the uk
drs blood tests and long waiting list
info appreciated

Toothe
April 3rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
According to the Accutane literature (at least when I took it, 14 or so years ago) hair loss is not common and, they say, usually not permanent. I would say to be gentle with it, try scalp massage, and try not to worry.

The dry hair was actually the one thing I enjoyed about Accutane--I could go forever without washing! I didn't notice hair loss, but I didn't really know how to watch for it then. I was half-expecting big bald spots, and I certainly didn't have any of those.

I second Oskimosa--watch out for signs of depression. This is one side effect that's really downplayed, in my opinion.

Sara_1987
April 3rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
@crystal k: Not trying to be rude here and I understand how annoying it would be for the process to take a long time, but I really don't think you should buy Accutane online (or any other prescription med for that matter).

Accutane is a serious medication. I tried all other treatments before my dermatologist put me on accutane (I had been seeing her for my acne problems for 6 years by the time I finally got accutane).
You NEED to be monitored while taking accutane. The monthly blood tests are necessary to make sure your liver is not being damaged.
At one point during my first course my triglyceride levels skyrocketed and I had to go back for blood tests every two weeks to make sure they wee lowered (otherwise they had to take me off).

You also need a dermatologist to see your skin to give you the right dosage. And during your course a derm should inspect your skin and if necessary up your dosage. It's different for every type of acne so you can't just decide dosage on your own.

Just my 2 cents....

crystal_k
April 3rd, 2010, 12:19 PM
I know your right im just feeling desperate right now i have been on accutane before through the dr so i am aware of the process. Im just feeling irrational right now because this return of acne is seriously depressing me and i suppose im looking for a quick way to get it back under control without having to wait 6 months.

Sara_1987
April 3rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
I feel you. My acne also came back after my first round.
Is it as bad as before or milder? My acne was not as bad. My dr first put me on another round of antibiotics, but since that didn't work she quickly allowed a second course of accutane.

Maybe your dr will give you accutane faster now, since you've already been on it?

Boudicca
April 4th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I was on accutane twice (best decision ever by the way! I hope you will get as good results as I did!).

I never had scalp problems, but I did get dry hair.
I oiled my hair a lot.
For your scalp maybe you could try Dr Hauschka's Neem hair oil? I use that a lot and it's great for normalizing and soothing my scalp when it's irritated.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the good wishes - it good to hear from someone who had a good experience on Accutane.

I'll definitely start oiling. I've never tried the Neem oil - but there is a store nearby where I can get it.

Thank-you :)

Boudicca
April 4th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I was on accutane once, and had shorter hair. I always washed it every day. I do not remember a problem with dry scalp, just with dry mouth. Had to stop using acne wash.

Unrelated, but a side note.... both my sister were on it, and experienced moderate depression from it. It is a side effect we were NOT informed of through our Dr. I don't have anything else to add to that but, I always make it a point to mention to people who are on accutane, so they don't have the confusion we did when we encountered this side effect.

Thanks for the heads-up about the depression. I have been keeping a diary to track effects of the medication - and I will add mood to that too, just to keep an eye on it.

Boudicca
April 4th, 2010, 07:30 AM
According to the Accutane literature (at least when I took it, 14 or so years ago) hair loss is not common and, they say, usually not permanent. I would say to be gentle with it, try scalp massage, and try not to worry.

The dry hair was actually the one thing I enjoyed about Accutane--I could go forever without washing! I didn't notice hair loss, but I didn't really know how to watch for it then. I was half-expecting big bald spots, and I certainly didn't have any of those.

I second Oskimosa--watch out for signs of depression. This is one side effect that's really downplayed, in my opinion.

I've been meaning to start scalp massage, so this would probably be a good time to start.

As for the dry hair, I've noticed just this week that I'm up to 4 days between washings rather than the usual 2. This is nice, but I think I'm just so scared of the hair-loss that any ahir change is freaking me out.

I will look out for any signs of depression.

Thanks for your advice :)

Boudicca
April 10th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Huge thanks to all those who suggested oiling. I oiled heavily with coconut oil and my scalp looks and feels a million times better.

Oskimosa
April 10th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Glad you found something that works! :D And youre welcome for the heads up!