PDA

View Full Version : Advice - itchy flaky scalp and dry hair?

akka naeda
April 3rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
My scalp is horribly dry, flaky and itchy, my hair also seems to be dry and frizzy. It's been this way since about September and because my hopes that perhaps it will be better after the next wash don't seem to be happening I'm looking for suggestions here:)

Originally when I joined LHC my hair was like this, but my scalp was fine. I stopped using sulphate shampoo on my length and started oiling and SMT/CO and the difference in condition was incredible.

I've just done a head louse check and chemical louse shampoo because DD went through a period a year or so ago while she was still at primary school of having louse infestations and the effect on my hair and scalp was the same when I got them. Luckily no lice or eggs have been found, just plenty of scurf.

I'm still washing the same as usual (in fact a bit less than usual because it's winter and colder here; every 2-3 weeks instead of weekly) - whatever sulphate shampoo is to hand on my scalp and SMT and cone-free CO on the length; ACV rinse in cold water before drying. I wash scalp and length at the same time and at this time of year dry off most of the drips with a dryer and then plait it to dry, which takes 24-48 hours. I did try the CO/SMT on my scalp and that wasn't beneficial so I went back to using sulphates to make sure it was properly clean. I also oil the length regularly, my scalp not so frequently because it ends up looking oily but I always do a deep oiling the night before I'm going to wash and make sure plenty is rubbed into my scalp.

I do wonder if it's the fact I'm no longer hennaing? I don't want to go back to the henna (or any other herbal washing/condition which will stain) because I have plenty of white hairs now and I'm proud of them:)

Any advice or suggestions will be gratefully received :)

piratejenny23
April 3rd, 2010, 12:35 PM
hi, i've had a similar problem for about 20 years and i haven't found a permanent solution but something that has helped a bit is diluted glycerin. i use Heritage Products vegetable glycerin, dilute it 50% with water, and use a bottle with an applicator tip to douse my scalp on those days i wish i could dunk my whole head in a bucket of lotion! it is very soothing!

i have tried many other treatments over the years but i think the simpler, the better, as one's scalp may react badly to just about anything! glycerin seems pretty benign & neutral.

do you take EFAs? i have been taking a flax & borage oil mix lately after neglecting my EFAs for years, and i do believe my scalp has calmed down a bit in the last month or so.

a brown sugar scrub can help loosen the flakes.

good luck! i hope you figure out what is wrong and/or find something to help you feel better!

Purdy Bear
April 3rd, 2010, 12:38 PM
When my scalp was dry and itchy (when I had hair), the hairdresser advised using a carrier oil (grapeseed, jojoba, coconut etc) on my scalp. Just take a little bit and rub into the scalp and let it rest for a bit (I used to do about 10 minutes plus).

When you wash it out make sure you put the shampoo on first before the water, otherwise you'll have oil in your hair forever more.

akka naeda
April 5th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the replies. I do oil my scalp, and I do take EPO, and borage oil, and when I remember cod liver oil too.

Someone suggested to me in a PM that I try NW to I may look into that for a couple of months but right now it's got to the stage where I think it will be easier short - shoulder length or above.

Fethenwen
April 5th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Yes, I second the oiling. Maybe you could mist your hair every time you oil, and use tea tree on your scalp too?

Also, I wonder if this is deeper than that, are you sure you are eating healthy and balanced with enough oils and minerals? You might want to take supplements and make sure to drink enough water.

I suggest trying out hemp seed oil and maybe even try to get hemp seeds in your diet. That stuff is awesome for both hair and skin.

julliams
April 5th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I had an itchy scalp for most of my life and I was always thinking it was a fungal thing so I was using anti dandruff etc. When I joined LHC I heard about oils and because I didn't have much around my home I tried olive oil. To my amazement the itching went almost immediately. All I did was dip my fingertips in olive oil and massage it through my scalp. So I guess my problem was a dry scalp.

As for dry hair, I have course dry hair and unfortunately I haven't found a miracle cure for that one yet. I'm guessing you have tried an SMT? If not, do a search and try this treatment as it worked very well for me.

My dandruff only seems to flare up during stressful times. Is it possible that something has happened from September? If you have more stress in your life it is possible that it is showing up in your hair.

countryhopper
April 5th, 2010, 06:40 AM
right now it's got to the stage where I think it will be easier short - shoulder length or above.

AAACCCKKK!!! You're not considering cutting, are you??!!
You're hair is beautiful!!

SophieSpector
April 5th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I had TERRIBLE dandruff, awful, went to my doctor and she gave me some anti-biotics and its all cleared up. She said most dandruff is caused by yeasty loving microbes that like warm wet enviroments, so when I used to tie my hair up straight after getting out of the shower and occasionally sleep like that I turned myself into home for them. SO GROSS.

Arctic
April 5th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I've read it's been much colder winter in many parts of the world, including UK, than it would normally be. Maybe this could be part of the reason?

ChloeDharma
April 5th, 2010, 09:20 AM
AAACCCKKK!!! You're not considering cutting, are you??!!
You're hair is beautiful!!

That was my reaction when i saw that bit!

I'm wondering what changed in september but i notice you said you use a sulphate shampoo, controversial as i know this topic can be, but SLS is ultimately a dermal irritant. It also can be quite drying. You already use oils i know but do you scalp oil? I find it essential to oil my scalp. It might be worth making a blend rather than using just one.....maybe neem, avocado and jojoba might be an idea so that each common cause of scalp flakes gets addressed, neem and jojoba treat fungus, avocado is moisturising/nourishing and jojoba is good for dry sebum or sebum imbalance. You could add soothing essential oils like chamomile and lavender for irritation.

akka naeda
April 5th, 2010, 11:37 AM

I'm wondering what changed in september but i notice you said you use a sulphate shampoo, controversial as i know this topic can be, but SLS is ultimately a dermal irritant. It also can be quite drying. You already use oils i know but do you scalp oil? I find it essential to oil my scalp. It might be worth making a blend rather than using just one.....maybe neem, avocado and jojoba might be an idea so that each common cause of scalp flakes gets addressed, neem and jojoba treat fungus, avocado is moisturising/nourishing and jojoba is good for dry sebum or sebum imbalance. You could add soothing essential oils like chamomile and lavender for irritation.

Yes, I'm seriously considering cutting it, I think the shorter it is the easier it will be to deal with if it continues being dry, frizzy and horrible.
It was OK at Xmas when I put some of my butter mix on it, but that no longer seems to be working, and it didn't help my scalp.

I'll try your suggestion of blending oils too.

Beatnik Guy
April 5th, 2010, 03:42 PM

Thirded! Your hair is :agape:

I'd also 3rd/4th/whateverth the suggestion about oiling more and misting to combat the length dryness. Winter can be hard on hair too (and we didn't really get a summer last year either :rolleyes:). FWIW, the scalp issue is likely to be the same regardless of the length of your hair -- hope you can work that out too.

rubyann
April 5th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your hair and scalp are giving you problems. I've read on here many times that the dryness and frizzyness could be product buildup. It might be worth trying a product to remove the buildup before cutting. I've had itchy scalp issues forever and have found that using a gentler sulfate, one that ends with sulfoacitate or some such might help with your scalp. I do hope you find a solution before resorting to cutting off your beautiful hair.:grouphug:

longinthehair
April 5th, 2010, 06:31 PM
1) For my "this year's incessant dry and itching scalp", have just started last week with mix of approx. 250 ml. distilled water with 6 drops tea tree oil, 10-15 drops lavender oil, 1 teaspoon neem oil, and 6 drops rosemary EO. (Found recommendation on internet "A Soothing Scalp Mixture." You can spray this on your scalp two times per day - it is very soothing..and I think it loosens any buildup on scalp.
2) Have just recently started back with brushes - boar bristle ones that is - they feel great - and are enabling me to go longer between washes - thus less drying effects.
and..wait for it..
3) A recent revelation (from reading a thread here) - some LHC members oil their scalp not only before and all that (I, of course do those deep saturated oilings, etc. before washes.) but I saw that some members oil their scalp after a wash.
I never before thought of doing that, so I decided to try that today, since it was wash day...tried a little (just on tips of my fingers) jojoba oil after washing and put it on my scalp when my hair was still damp! {Note: I also use mousse products as a regular after-wash routine, and am trying very hard to avoid my scalp with them.}
Don't like to speak too soon, keeping my fingers crossed, but less of a dry, itchy scalp today - Yay! So, you may want to try those suggestions. Good luck.