PDA

View Full Version : Camellia Oil! (See first post for sources)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

alys
March 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
What a treat! I've been experimenting with oils for about 7 months now, trying like mad to find the best for my hair. I went thru the usual suspects Coconut, Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Shea Butter, Grapeseed and had the same problem with them making my hair, well, oily. (Since no hairtyping now I will elaborate a bit: I have fine hair, medium coarse-ness, with some waves and poof.) The oils listed above seemed to make my hair very greasy, no matter how much or how little I used, wet or dry. Then, after sitting and 'cooking' in my hair for a bit, my hair would become crunchy. Too much protien, I gather. I gave up on oil completely until I found Camellia oil.
Here's what I found for my hair anyway -the oil leaves my hair soft and silky. Plain and Simple. I can practically load it on, and I dont get the greasies or the crunchies. I use it for dry oiling, and as a leave-in after each washing. I've had great results both ways. I cannot beleive after all this time there is an oil for my hair! If you are like I was, fed up with oil and wondering why none of the most common were working for you - give Camellia a try. It's a bit more expensive but worth it if you must have oil.

Click here for sources (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=312083#post312083)

Elenna
March 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Alys

Your post on camellia oil has stirred my curiosity.

Elenna

Mahars
March 10th, 2008, 05:15 PM
You've stirred my curiosity too. I'm tempted to try it, but so far, plain old olive oil is working for me.

What's this I keep hearing about oil and protein? Does oil have protein in it?

cuddledumplin
March 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Camellia seems to work better for me than any other too. It really makes it very soft and tames frizz.

alys
March 10th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Well I'm glad you all are interested. I'm no expert, but there is a whole balance between protein and moisture, both of which your hair needs. Too much moisture = not good, I'm told - leads to delicate hair. Too much protein = crunchy hair. This I can attest to. I dont need all that extra protein as I get it in my diet, I would guess.
Some oils must have a higher protein content than others. Everything I had tried was making me crunchy. And I gave it the ole college try, too. Wasted a pot of money :)
Apprently Camellia is very popular in Japan, where it grows, and many asian women swear by it both on hair and skin. I also use it in my facial moisturizer 'tincture'. Camellia oil as the carrier and Carrott Seed oil as the EO ingredient. Excellent facial prep, in my opinion.
Anyhow Good Luck - try the Camellia if you get a chance and post if it worked out well. I've seen so many LCHers posting about the 'crunchies'...
alysan

squiggyflop
March 10th, 2008, 06:46 PM
lol ive been using camellia for 6 months now and it seems to be the only oil my hair likes... where did you get your camellia... im always up for looking at a new supplyer...

harpgal
March 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Thank you for posting this, alys. Would you be so kind as to provide a link for us, in case we would like to purchase some of this oil?

dancingbarefoot
March 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM
This is the kind I have (http://www.amazon.com/Oshima-Tsubaki-Camellia-Hair-Care/dp/B000OWF2M0) (although I bought it at a Japanese store in Hawai'i, not from Amazon) - excellent stuff!

Gilly
March 10th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I love camellia oil!
I have a 500ml bottle of it with a pump on it, I don't use it a great deal on my hair but I love using a pump of it with a teaspoon of soft brown sugar as a facial and body scrub, its fab!!! :D

mira-chan
March 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I use Camellia oil on and off. I currently have the Oshima one but I was using the one from From Nature With Love (FNWL) before. They finally have it in stock again. It works better on my skin than on my hair. It is ok for my hair.

Mahars - I believe this one does not have protein. Coconut oil does.

Flaxen
March 10th, 2008, 08:59 PM
If you see websites that talk about oils having protein them, they are incorrect. Oils, including coconut, are 100% fat, and they have no protein. I've seen many times where almond oil is listed as having protein, but it does not, either. :flower:

I'm a huge fan of camellia oil, and it's the only one I use now. I've tried it from a couple different places, and my absolute favorite is natural japanese beauty (http://www.naturaljapanesebeauty.com/njb.page12.html). I notice a difference, even from other Japanese camellia oils.

Another very good one is Chidoriya (http://chidoriyaworld.stores.yahoo.net/chidornatsoa.html). They have a lightweight oil and a heavier one.

Finally, this is not one I have tried, but it is a very good price for Tsubaki Abura (Japanese camellia oil). McClain's (http://www.imcclains.com/catalog/baren/tsubakiabura.html).

Mahars
March 10th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks Flaxen. That clears it up. I didn't see how oils could have proteins in them. Have you tried the Aubrey Organics Camelia oil by any chance? It seems pretty reasonably priced.

alys
March 11th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Here's where I get mine. It's a place in Canada, but actually my packages arrive in a timely fashion and they are EASY to work with, personal service which I value highly.
Called Cranberry Lane. I'm not sure about posting links but here goes -
http://cranberrylane.stores.yahoo.net/

They have LOTS of things for natural and not so natural soap making, candles, etc. Also check out this one...
http://www.naturalbeautyworkshop.com/my_weblog/featured_ingredients/index.html

thanks yall

alys
March 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM
thanks for the info Flaxen. Actually it was here, at LCH that I learned about protein. There was a protien/moisture thread for a while there and miscellaneous posts on the subject. Also done some research.
According to science, proteins are built from chains of amino acids. There are 22 types of common amino acids.
Grapeseed oil contains a relatively high number of amino acids, for example. Linoleic, oleic, hexadecanoic & A-Linolenic are just some of the amino acids found in Grapeseed. Right now I dont have the time to research the others again, but that's enough proof from me to disagree with you.
Seems to me that science thinks there are protiens in oils, and some oils have a higher content than others, of course in the form of long-chain amino acids.

vindo
March 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I use Oshima Tsubaki Camellia Oil. It has also been the best oil for my hair so far. I leave oil in until the next wash and Camellia Oil stays soft and nice and oily..no weird sticky feeling, no dry ends :)

Flaxen
March 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM
According to science, proteins are built from chains of amino acids. There are 22 types of common amino acids.
Grapeseed oil contains a relatively high number of amino acids, for example. Linoleic, oleic, hexadecanoic & A-Linolenic are just some of the amino acids found in Grapeseed. Right now I dont have the time to research the others again, but that's enough proof from me to disagree with you.
Seems to me that science thinks there are protiens in oils, and some oils have a higher content than others, of course in the form of long-chain amino acids.
Yes, proteins are made up of amino acids, but those aren't amino acids. :flower:

Amino acids have names like alanine, arginine, cysteine; etc. The names you mentioned are fatty acids, not amino acids. So, no protein in oils.

Mahars, no, I haven't tried Aubrey's camellia oil. If you do, I'd love to know how it works! :smile:

longhairedfairy
March 12th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I use Camellia oil on and off. I currently have the Oshima one but I was using the one from From Nature With Love (FNWL) before. They finally have it in stock again. It works better on my skin than on my hair. It is ok for my hair.

Mahars - I believe this one does not have protein. Coconut oil does.

LOOOOOOVE Camellia oil. I got mine from From Nature With Love, too. It seems to last forever. Their stuff is pretty reasonably priced and they have lots of variety:) I use it on damp or wet hair, mostly on the ends and length.

sapphire-o
March 12th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I got mine from Cranberry Lane as well. I think these cheaper ones we got are from Chinese camellia trees, not Japanese ones. It works very well so I'm not too interested in buying the more expensive ones. :)

carloota
March 12th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Why oh why did I read this thread? The PJ (product junkie) was dormant for so long. I guess camellia oil will be yet another item to add to my buy/try list. :)

Flaxen
March 12th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Why oh why did I read this thread? The PJ (product junkie) was dormant for so long. I guess camellia oil will be yet another item to add to my buy/try list. :)
Well then, our work is done here. :silly:

redbark
March 12th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Ooh my curiosity is piqued too.

Flaxen - please...can you enlighten me on if Camelia oil is nourishing for hair too? Not just for the texture but for the health of hair? And is it widely accepted to grow hair better? Stronger and more hair or healthier hair...or any such claims?

Thank you, so much :flowers:

sandrak
March 13th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I bought this oil last week and have been using it on my face after I wash it. I love how it makes my face feel. Not greasy, just soft. I also use a couple of drops on my wet hair and it is great. My hair dries very soft and not oily at all. I used to use emu oil. I like camellia oil better.

Elenna
March 13th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Mahars, no, I haven't tried Aubrey's camellia oil. If you do, I'd love to know how it works! :smile:

Flaxen - don't buy Aubrey Organics Camellia Oil. The bottle is small (.36 fl. oz) and it has a ROLLER top which makes it difficult to get out of the bottle.

Elenna

PS I'm glad to see more info about where to buy Camellia oil.

Flaxen
March 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Ooh my curiosity is piqued too.

Flaxen - please...can you enlighten me on if Camelia oil is nourishing for hair too? Not just for the texture but for the health of hair? And is it widely accepted to grow hair better? Stronger and more hair or healthier hair...or any such claims?

Thank you, so much :flowers:
Well, it's main fatty acid fraction is oleic acid, and that is one that softens. Other high oleic oils are shea and olive. Camellia has been called the "Eastern olive oil" since it is used for cooking, too (presumably not those tiny bottles, lol!).

Yes, there are claims that camellia oil makes hair grow better, that the women of Oshima Island have beautiful hair, and that camellia oil promotes a "peach skin complexion and long, curved nails" when applied to them. It's the oil that is reported to have been used by geishas to make their hair very shiny.

The only thing that I can confirm from experience is that camellia makes the cuticle smoother than other oils (supposedly also scientifically seen). When I comb after applying the oil, the comb simply glides through my hair.

Flaxen - don't buy Aubrey Organics Camellia Oil. The bottle is small (.36 fl. oz) and it has a ROLLER top which makes it difficult to get out of the bottle.

Elenna
Ooh, thank you for that information, Elenna! Yes, that would make it very difficult to use, and such a tiny bottle is very expensive.

redbark
March 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Thank you Flaxen :love:

No prizes to anyone for guessing which oil I am going to be buying very soon :)

rossjen
March 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
If any of you buy a lot of things on ebay, there is a seller there who has wonderfully priced camellia oil in various sizes, which is how I tried it. Her store is called Hedy's Haven.

addikted
March 17th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Guys, you have piqued my interest too, I just bought the Fragrant Camellia Oil Shampoo and Camellia Oil from naturaljapanesebeauty. Thank you, Flaxen. Now, please Mr Postman, hurry up!

jojo
March 19th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Has anybody tried this oil?

im thinking of trying but would like some input first.

TIA:confused:

Flaxen
March 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Merging this into the current thread. :flower:

lynnala
March 20th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I want it, I NEED it! And I live just 5 miles from Little Tokyo in Los Angeles. If it weren't almost 2AM, why I'd jump in my car right now!

lynnala
March 20th, 2008, 03:10 AM
If any of you buy a lot of things on ebay, there is a seller there who has wonderfully priced camellia oil in various sizes, which is how I tried it. Her store is called Hedy's Haven.Oh heck, I couldn't wait, I just ordered some from Hedy's Haven. Thank goodness for eBay for us 2AM impulse buyers!:happydance:

Flaxen
March 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Oh heck, I couldn't wait, I just ordered some from Hedy's Haven. Thank goodness for eBay for us 2AM impulse buyers!:happydance:

Heh, heh, heh. :lol:

jojo
March 21st, 2008, 07:08 AM
oh i just ordered some from a UK site which wasnt too expensive. im such an hair oil junkie!!

Flaxen
March 21st, 2008, 05:08 PM
Me, too. Welcome to the club, jojo! :lol:

annarose
March 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
Hey you guys, Hedy's Haven is all sold out of camellia oil now! I had to email her about shipping and she told me this.

Fortunately she will be getting more in next week :grin: .

For a minute there I thought we had sold her out.

Elenna
March 22nd, 2008, 01:30 AM
What I've been wanting to ask -- is camellia better as an deep prewash treatment or an after treatment? In other words, how do you use camellia oil? :confused:

Elenna

Unofficial_Rose
March 22nd, 2008, 02:54 AM
Ooh! I really want to try this now. My hair loves olive and avocado oils, but it can take or leave jojoba, but that turned out to be great for OCM. *Mouse finger twiches*

intothemist1999
March 22nd, 2008, 09:39 AM
ETA: Question removed...in my enthusiasm I didn't read all the posts first, where I WOULD have found my answer :o

intothemist1999
March 22nd, 2008, 09:42 AM
This is the kind I have (http://www.amazon.com/Oshima-Tsubaki-Camellia-Hair-Care/dp/B000OWF2M0) (although I bought it at a Japanese store in Hawai'i, not from Amazon) - excellent stuff!

I noticed that page also showed a sample of Camelia SEED oil....are they they same?

Flaxen
March 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
What I've been wanting to ask -- is camellia better as an deep prewash treatment or an after treatment? In other words, how do you use camellia oil? :confused:

Elenna
I put 1-2 drops on my dry hair the morning after I wash it, and then another 1 drop about midweek (trying to get to once a week washing, here). I'm sure it would make a fine prewash, although there are less expensive oils to do that with.

I noticed that page also showed a sample of Camelia SEED oil....are they they same?
Yes, camellia oil comes from the seeds of the plant. To say, "camellia oil" is just leaving out the word, "seed." :smile:

Celebrian
March 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
oh i just ordered some from a UK site which wasnt too expensive. im such an hair oil junkie!!

Which site please jojo, if you don't mind me asking? :cheese:

jojo
March 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
darn the company i ordered from has emailed out of stock ahh, but thanks to dancingbarefoot i got the same kind as her from ebay, but its being shipped from US oh im so impatient to try this!

I read somewhere, can't find the link now (isnt that always the way!) but it said its supposed to speed up growth and its also a really good moisturiser.

I love trying oils out, this sounds such a good one!

Celebrian
March 22nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Bother! It seems to be very expensive - around £24 for 100 mls where-ever I've looked so far. On Ebay UK there are just two biddings going on - and goodness knows where that will end! :confused:

AmandaPanda
March 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
OK, I just purchased a 2 oz bottle of camellia from Hedy's Haven. I almost bought some a few months ago, but this thread made up my mind.

:shakes fist at evil enablers:

My hair likes monoi and grapeseed *I think*...and jojoba was too much for my hair

Flaxen
March 23rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
OK, I just purchased a 2 oz bottle of camellia from Hedy's Haven. I almost bought some a few months ago, but this thread made up my mind.

:shakes fist at evil enablers:
You're welcome! :wigtongue

almudena
March 24th, 2008, 02:29 AM
aromazone has it http://www.aroma-zone.com/aroma/he_fra_vegetale.asp#camelia

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM
i love hedy's haven! im glad others buy from them... but maybe you are buying from them because of me posting about them being a good place a while back... heck ive been praising them since way back when i had just joined... when i joined not to many (if any) were using camellia... i stumbled onto the oil during my own internet quest for healthyer hair... the main thing that made me try the oil was that camellia was what ancient japanese women used to get their hair to be longer than they were tall while still leaving it down all the time... hehe... ofcourse i didnt put much thought into the fact that they wore special silk clothes that would minimize damage to the hair..

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 12:09 PM
oh and hey i think ive already posted this a thousend times but DO NOT BUY CAMELLIA OIL THAT HAS A YELLOW TINT!!!!!! IF ITS YELLOW IN THE PICTURE THEN YOU CAN BET THAT YOU ARE GETTING MORE THAN JUST CAMELLIA IN IT... *sigh* unfortunatly the people who sell it from japan and some other countrys dont actually have to tell you whats in it... even some of the stuff that you find on shelves here in america is brought from overseas and is not pure... and there isnt any real laws about it because you arent eating it! BEWARE THE YELLOW OIL!! for allyou know there could be toxic substanses in there

Alaskanheart
March 24th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I just ordered some from Fromnaturewithlove.com, they seem to have the most reasonable price...I hope that doesnt mean they arent good quality, I havent ordered from them before.I also ordered black raspberry seed oil, just so I didnt have to pay the small order fee.It sounded interesting so I thought I would give it a try, if it doesnt work on my hair, I guess I can use it on my skin.

beadedbudgie
March 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Lol! I just discovered coconut oil, but now I wanna try out some Camellia oil too!

sapphire-o
March 26th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Does anybody keep the camellia oil in the fridge? I have two different bottles from two different sellers. One turned into a solid white lump, kinda like coconut oil, the other one is only semi solid, like some lumps sitting in liquid oil. I was wondering what a "good" camellia oil is like and which one is a dud.

ktani
March 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM
sapphire-o

I have not tried this but I did research it out of curiosity. Camellia oil is sourced from several plant species.

From what I have read, the oil is not supposed to solidify at lower temperatures but it can at temperatures from 0 to -10 degrees C. See "RF Temperature" and cannot be re-liquefied by heating. See "Cargo handling" "If the oil solidifies ... it cannot be liquefied again even by forced heating."
Since the properties of the oils are similar between species, this probably applies to all of them.
http://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/ware/oele/teesamen/teesamen.htm#anfang

This is the best link I found that answers some questions on the varieties and qualities of camellia oils out there.
Scroll down a bit - a poster did a lot of research and gives references - it is about the 6th post from the bottom of the page and there is more information near the end of the page from the same person.
http://www.japanesetools.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1369 (http://www.japanesetools.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1369)

According to this link, tea can be made from Camellia japonica but it is considered a tea substitute.
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Camellia+japonica

More on the tsubaki "tree"
http://books.google.ca/books?id=cEzCY5cB3icC&pg=PA188&lpg=PA188&dq=tsubaki+tree+varieties&source=web&ots=ZR9EMRw79z&sig=CoxlDbJ50BACkiPYNLFO8QB3uYk&hl=en

missy60
March 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I just order some from Hedy's Haven. Oh why oh why did i go there I also had to order a few other items. The prices seem very reasonable for a trial. She also has other oils like bee polen oil ( never heard of that one before) that she uses for cleansing and healing. I have been using cheap easy to obtain olive oil and CO with great results, but now I want to try the bee pollen oil. I really dont have anything on my face to heal though so I think I will stick with what Im using for now.

I had to order a trial of her emu oil and kaolin clay. She also has the microbrasion clothes Im not sure if these are the same one that people have been raving about or not.

xkitanax
April 22nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
how to use camellia oil??:o

asantegold
April 23rd, 2008, 11:48 PM
This sounds like a great oil to try. An oil that smooths the cuticle and helps with combouts would be great for me. Does anyone know why camellia oil from Japan is supposed to be better than Chiniese Camellia oil?

GlassEyes
April 24th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Great, now I'm going to go pick up some camelia oil tomorrow. My mom'll be thrilled. xD

Oh well, I need more olive oil anyway. What's another bottle? XD My supermarket carries it I think (they just started stocking coconut oil too!) and I'll get it. xD

I need a good smoothing oil.

LaCitoyenne
April 24th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Another company that sells camellia oil is Goldport Beauty. I've never bought anything from them, just found them while casually browsing.

Here are some links:

http://www.goldportbeauty.com/camellia_oil.htm http://www.goldportbeauty.com/testimonials.htm

They sell 50 ml bottles for $7.80 US. I don't know how reasonable that is. Even with shipping to Canada, it doesn't seem too bad.

mira-chan
April 24th, 2008, 08:25 AM
This sounds like a great oil to try. An oil that smooths the cuticle and helps with combouts would be great for me. Does anyone know why camellia oil from Japan is supposed to be better than Chiniese Camellia oil?

The oil comes from two different plants. The Chinese Camellia oil is from Camellia sinensis which is the tea plant. The Japanese Camellia is Camellia japonica, the flowering camellia. The concentrations of oil components may be slightly different between the two.

Great, now I'm going to go pick up some camelia oil tomorrow. My mom'll be thrilled. xD

Oh well, I need more olive oil anyway. What's another bottle? XD My supermarket carries it I think (they just started stocking coconut oil too!) and I'll get it. xD

I need a good smoothing oil.

I'd be amazed if there is any in the supermarket. I've seen macadamia, pumpkin seed, almond, peanut, safflower, grapeseed and the usual (coconut, olive, sunflower) sold but never camellia.

Catladyintown
April 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Thank you Mira-Chan for your research.:grouphug: I have the Chinese Camellia oil (Camellia sinensis). The Chinese Camellia works really good on my hair and face.:)So everyone what type of Camellia oil do you use Japanese or Chinese? And has anyone tried both? Which one is your favorite?

mira-chan
April 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Thank you Mira-Chan for your research.:grouphug: I have the Chinese Camellia oil (Camellia sinensis). The Chinese Camellia works really good on my hair and face.:)So everyone what type of Camellia oil do you use Japanese or Chinese? And has anyone tried both? Which one is your favorite?

You're welcome. ^_^

I've tried Chinese camellia oil on both hair and skin and for me it works much better on skin than it does on hair though it still works well enough there. I have a bottle of Japanese camellia oil (Oshima tsubaki) but I haven't gotten to trying it yet.

chloeishere
April 24th, 2008, 07:34 PM
They appear to sell both types of camellia oil at Garden of Wisdom. Here's one (http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/3987807/3778490.htm) (they have 1 ounce, 4 ounce, and 16 ounce sizes of both types; it appears that From Nature With Love (http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/product.asp?product_id=oilcamellia&extract=1)might end up being cheaper-- depends on shipping, though they only offer 8 ounce and bigger sizes).

oh and hey i think ive already posted this a thousend times but DO NOT BUY CAMELLIA OIL THAT HAS A YELLOW TINT!!!!!! IF ITS YELLOW IN THE PICTURE THEN YOU CAN BET THAT YOU ARE GETTING MORE THAN JUST CAMELLIA IN IT... *sigh* unfortunatly the people who sell it from japan and some other countrys dont actually have to tell you whats in it... even some of the stuff that you find on shelves here in america is brought from overseas and is not pure... and there isnt any real laws about it because you arent eating it! BEWARE THE YELLOW OIL!! for allyou know there could be toxic substanses in there

I mean no disrespect, but I don't believe this is true. Both the Garden of Wisdom site and From Nature with love say that this is a yellow oil.

Camellia oil is similar in color and viscosity to jojoba.
As we all know, unrefined jojoba oil is yellow, while refined jojoba oil is clear. Perhaps refined camellia oil is clear/ white, but I don't think that the yellow tint indicates there are harmful ingredients or that it is impure. Just my two cents.

I have an unopened 1 ounce bottle of this that I got from garden of wisdom a few weeks ago-- I haven't been feeling happy with my ends lately, so I think I'll try this as a leave-in! I haven't even broken the seal yet, so hopefully it will smell nice! I'm really glad this thread got bumped-- I remember hearing good things about camellia oil, but I couldn't remember any specifics when I ordered it. Turns out, I have the Chinese camellia-- (Sinesis).

Here's the wiki page on camellia oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_oil) (which is also apparently called Tea oil), if anyone is interested in more information.
I was also really interested to learn that Chinese camellia (Camellia sinensis) is what is used to make tea-- i.e. white, green, and black tea! How cool!

Flaxen
April 24th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I've tried both, and I like the Japanese oil much better. To even add to that, I like the naturaljapanesebeauty camellia oil better than the camellia oil I got from Chidoriya.

mira-chan
April 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I mean no disrespect, but I don't believe this is true. Both the Garden of Wisdom site and From Nature with love say that this is a yellow oil.

As we all know, unrefined jojoba oil is yellow, while refined jojoba oil is clear. Perhaps refined camellia oil is clear/ white, but I don't think that the yellow tint indicates there are harmful ingredients or that it is impure. Just my two cents.

I agree with the above.
I used the From Nature with Love (FNWL) camellia oil and yes it is yellow and have a very light nutty smell. The Japanese Oshima (an island in Japan) Tsubaki (Japanese camellia) oil is yellow too. Also yes, they have to tell what is in it. They also have to put full English labels on it by law. I know some imports avoid somehow but places that imports will list everything. As far as I have seen, Japanese stores are pretty careful with this around here.

The only way camellia oil would be white is if it is refined. I have some refined oil that came with my boxwood comb to use for the comb care. It doesn't seem to have any special benefits/ difference from the FNWL oil other than lack of color and smell.

asantegold
April 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Great info. Thanks a lot Mira-Chan! :)

Tresses
April 24th, 2008, 09:24 PM
::quietly reaches for credit card, hoping hubby sitting next to me doesn't notice::

Flaxen
April 25th, 2008, 04:36 PM
::quietly reaches for credit card, hoping hubby sitting next to me doesn't notice::
<distracts Tresses' hubby> with...what, cake :cake: dancing cheese :cheese: Star Wars? :luke:

You're going to like camellia oil. :agree:

Tresses
April 25th, 2008, 10:08 PM
<distracts Tresses' hubby> with...what, cake :cake: dancing cheese :cheese: Star Wars? :luke:

You're going to like camellia oil. :agree:

:lol:

I was successful! He was busy playing a computer game on his laptop with headphones on. :lol: I ordered the tsubaki from Amazon that dbf linked, and it shipped today. I should have it by Monday. :D (I looked at naturaljapanesebeauty site you linked but just couldn't wait for the shipping. :o If I love the stuff, I'll order more from there while I have enough to last the wait. ;))

This has been a very informative thread. Thank you to all who posted to educate us! :flower:

mira-chan
April 26th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Tried the Oshima Japanese Camellia oil today and I really like it. It does work better than the Chinese one. It is lighter and smooths. Though to note, it made my hair straighter. Sesame and coconut oils make it wavier.

chloeishere
April 26th, 2008, 07:18 PM
This makes the majority of my hair very shiny and smooth.
My ends still feel pretty bad, but I know that I need to trim, and will be doing so soon. It really does make the rest of my hair feel very nice, without weighing it down.
After I clarified (with shampoo and baking soda), Giovanni 50:50 conditioner applied and rinsed off. My only leave-in is camellia oil (Chinese plant):
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/Cheeseistheword/IMG_3531c.jpg

Flaxen
April 26th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Though to note, it made my hair straighter. Sesame and coconut oils make it wavier.

Mine's just the opposite. Camellia=wavier, coconut=straighter. :lol:

nastasska
April 29th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Here's an Australian source for some:)

http://www.gardenapothecary.com.au/massage-oils-carrier3.html

Tresses
April 29th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Just thought I'd come back and post here even though I blogged about it yesterday.

I ordered the Oshima Tsubaki Camellia Japonica Seed Oil (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OWF2M0/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=)through Amazon. The shipping is steep, but the customer service was excellent. I ordered it late Thursday night, they shipped it Friday, and I got it Monday. :D

It is WONDERFUL!! Super soft, very wavy hair. :inlove: Thank you for the link, dbf! :flower:

asantegold
April 29th, 2008, 05:56 PM
It looks like people are having good results with the Oshima Tsubaki brand. I'll probably go with this one when I try it.

zift
April 30th, 2008, 05:15 PM
It is lighter and smooths. Though to note, it made my hair straighter. Sesame and coconut oils make it wavier.

Hmm after reading the success of it with many peopleI'm very anxious to try it too. Thought it might give my curls a bump. Our hair is quite similar in texture and this made me wonder about it. Maybe it works totally different for coarse hair?
Any other people with coarse hair tried camellia oil and succeed. And oh is there a curly or wurly who tried too?

Neoma
April 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM
OK, now I want some. Does it smell floral?

Flaxen
April 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Does it smell floral?
No. The naturaljapanesebeauty site has a scented one that is lovely, but plain camellia oil smells very...plain, very faintly like...oil.

Neoma
April 30th, 2008, 08:20 PM
No. The naturaljapanesebeauty site has a scented one that is lovely, but plain camellia oil smells very...plain, very faintly like...oil.
You're very funny, Flaxen. :flower:

Actually, that's good news for me. I don't generally do well with floral fragrances.

ktani
April 30th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Here are some snippits about camellia oil from the following link, from one post, that I find particularly interesting. The post has research links.

"Camellia oil .... known as tea oil or tea seed oil.

This is because the seeds of ... Camellia sinensis, the plant from which tea is made ... cold-pressed to extract the oil within.
Tea oil .... harvested from the seeds of the C. japonica, C. oleifera, C. sasanqua, and C. sinensis.

.... a number of popular uses for tea oil, which results in there being products in several different grades (based on purity of refinement and permissible stray contaminants).

Tea oil is used for cooking .... such as stir fry (especially for tempura).

.... because it is non-oxidizing (meaning it won't break down into an eventual clumpy mess) .... tea oil is idea for the protection of metal tools, such as kitchen knives, swords, chisels, and plane irons.

most of them .... applications in the cosmetics / aromatherapy industries (meaning that it's cosmetics grade and should never be taken internally)

This oil can be had in bulk, .... prices ranging from from 41cents / oz. up .... The Camellia oil from the various woodworking tool suppliers is as high as $2.49 / oz. .... the oil I picked up at the local health food grocery store .... to be about 75cents / oz. -- and better yet, .... is certified food grade so you can cook with it.

Tea oil has no trans-fat, contains less saturated fat than olive oil .... a shelf life of two years."
http://www.japanesetools.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1369 (http://www.japanesetools.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1369)

DMARTINEZ
May 1st, 2008, 09:09 AM
I ordered mine from Amazon, but TruRenu has a website with LOTS more
goodies too. ;)

Deb

Flaxen
May 1st, 2008, 09:11 AM
You're very funny, Flaxen. :flower:
:lol:

Since we seem to be gathering lots of camellia oil information in this thread, I will mention that Chidoriya has a heavier, Mihara Camellia Oil that does have a naturally stronger aroma. It's weird and indescribable, really. If your nose is overly sensitive to odd smells, you should probably avoid that one. The smell does fade, though, and it is a great oil, otherwise. :smile:

Tresses
May 1st, 2008, 09:28 AM
I ordered mine from Amazon, but TruRenu has a website with LOTS more
goodies too. ;)

Deb

::hands over ears:: LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!!!!!!!

DMARTINEZ
May 1st, 2008, 11:57 AM

LOL Tresses! :lol: You know you want to check it out. Sorry to be an enabler,
just this once right? :)

Deb

Carina
May 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM
I want to buy camellia oil but can't find a place in Sweden where I can get it.:cry:

Flaxen
May 1st, 2008, 04:31 PM
<shouts>
Do they have boxwood combs? You really must get a boxwood comb to go with your camellia oil! :eyebrows:

Carina, I'm not sure what to suggest. Is there a Japanese market anywhere in Sweden? Camellia oil is also used for cooking, and they might have some there.

Tresses
May 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM
<shouts>
Do they have boxwood combs? You really must get a boxwood comb to go with your camellia oil! :eyebrows:

Now that's just not right! :nono:

::googles boxwood combs::

:agape:

I AM NOT PAYING THAT KIND OF MONEY FOR A COMB! I did for a brush, but I won't for a comb. :o

Flaxen
May 1st, 2008, 05:26 PM
Now that's just not right! :nono:

::googles boxwood combs::

:agape:

I AM NOT PAYING THAT KIND OF MONEY FOR A COMB! I did for a brush, but I won't for a comb. :o
<fans Tresses>
Now you shouldn't just go googling things like that without consulting me first. I think I know the ones you found, and they are not for the faint of heart. :p Try this one (http://chidoriyaworld.stores.yahoo.net/tsugcomlarbo.html).

Tresses
May 1st, 2008, 05:39 PM
<fans Tresses>
Now you shouldn't just go googling things like that without consulting me first. I think I know the ones you found, and they are not for the faint of heart. :p Try this one (http://chidoriyaworld.stores.yahoo.net/tsugcomlarbo.html).

Oh, that's much better. (You know you've been assimilated by the hair Borg when you think $36 for a comb is a reasonable price. :lol: )

Great...another thing for my wish list. I have so many combs, including a few wood ones, but I don't have a Japanese boxwood comb that has been soaked in Camellia oil. ::sigh::

Do you have one, Flaxen? Does anyone still reading this thread have one? I'd be curious what people think. That particular comb you linked, Flaxen, is described for long and wavy hair. Hmmmmm...

nastasska
May 1st, 2008, 06:29 PM
I just ordered some:cheese:

Tresses your hair is looking extra magnificent:thud:

Oh Flaxen Now I want to try these :)
http://chidoriyaworld.stores.yahoo.net/chmashmaco.html

Tresses
May 1st, 2008, 06:31 PM

Tresses your hair is looking extra magnificent:thud:

Woohooo, nastasska! :cheese:

And thank you very much. :flowers: I still can't believe that's my hair. :bigeyes:

mira-chan
May 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM
Oh, that's much better. (You know you've been assimilated by the hair Borg when you think $36 for a comb is a reasonable price. :lol: )

Great...another thing for my wish list. I have so many combs, including a few wood ones, but I don't have a Japanese boxwood comb that has been soaked in Camellia oil. ::sigh::

Do you have one, Flaxen? Does anyone still reading this thread have one? I'd be curious what people think. That particular comb you linked, Flaxen, is described for long and wavy hair. Hmmmmm...

I have one, from a different site and it was only $25 that site seems to have dissappeared since. I like it a lot. It actually removes static.

Flaxen
May 1st, 2008, 07:27 PM
:spitting: True!

Well then you need one! I remember your bad experience with a wood comb, and I had a couple, too (not the same maker), but boxwood is such a tight grained wood that it makes a fantastic comb. And, being the oil junkie that I am, a wood comb soaked in camellia oil is more than I can resist. *shivers*

Do you have one, Flaxen?
Yes I do. And one of these (http://www.camelliaoil.com/boxwoodcomb.html) (rough one) AND one of these (http://www.lebaolong.de/combs/combs-boxwood.htm) (click on boxwood combs to bring up the pop-up, and it's Shm6-9).:misskim:

The one at Chidoriya is the shorter of the first two, but the teeth are longer, and that edges it into first place for me. The less expensive rough one's teeth are a hair (heh) closer together, but it will work on our hair type. Oh, and it's just the name that's "rough" - the comb isn't at all.

Yay! :cheese:

Oh Flaxen Now I want to try these :)
http://chidoriyaworld.stores.yahoo.net/chmashmaco.html
Tried them. :blushing: The shampoo is a typical castile type soap, and it made my hair stiff the way castile shampoos always do. I received a sample of the conditioner, but I don't remember if I liked it. :ponder:

mira-chan
May 1st, 2008, 08:10 PM
Yes I do. And one of these (http://www.camelliaoil.com/boxwoodcomb.html) (rough one) AND one of these (http://www.lebaolong.de/combs/combs-boxwood.htm) (click on boxwood combs to bring up the pop-up, and it's Shm6-9).:misskim:

There is the the site! I just could not find it, why I don't know. I have the one with the red case in the first link.

Tresses
May 1st, 2008, 08:23 PM
Well then you need one! I remember your bad experience with a wood comb, and I had a couple, too (not the same maker), but boxwood is such a tight grained wood that it makes a fantastic comb. And, being the oil junkie that I am, a wood comb soaked in camellia oil is more than I can resist. *shivers*

Yer killin' me here, Flaxen!

;)

Would you believe I was actually looking at that comb maker again recently? :rolleyes: I picked up a few inexpensive cherry wood combs on ebay a couple of years ago. They were so cheap I actually ordered 3. One was rough, but the other two were pretty good. Anyway, I was considering giving a good quality wood comb another try...but I'd rather have boxwood now! :agree:

The one at Chidoriya is the shorter of the first two, but the teeth are longer, and that edges it into first place for me. The less expensive rough one's teeth are a hair (heh) closer together, but it will work on our hair type. Oh, and it's just the name that's "rough" - the comb isn't at all.

You, young lady, are a first class enabler! You really ought to put that as part of your title! :lol:

Thank you for the information. I will start saving for my new comb. I think I'll go for that first one at Chidoriya. :thumbsup:

:flowers:

SilverLocks
May 1st, 2008, 08:40 PM
Just when the "buy the camellia, buy the boxwood comb"
urges were fading....

You guys are killin' my pocket book!

Off to drool (and buy?) at Chidoyira... those ladybug sticks are sweet too!

This oil sounds seriously seductive.

Flaxen
May 1st, 2008, 09:00 PM
Would you believe I was actually looking at that comb maker again recently? :rolleyes:
I have occasionally, too, but not since getting the boxwood ones. :wink:

You, young lady, are a first class enabler! You really ought to put that as part of your title! :lol:
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c030.gif

Thank you for the information. I will start saving for my new comb. I think I'll go for that first one at Chidoriya. :thumbsup:

:flowers:
You are welcome. :smooch: ETA: They are a nice place to do business with.

You guys are killin' my pocket book!
Yeah, but we'll have the nicest hair at The Poor Farm. :silly:

Tresses
May 1st, 2008, 09:03 PM

:rollin: ...........

SilverLocks
May 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
I've tried both, and I like the Japanese oil much better. To even add to that, I like the naturaljapanesebeauty camellia oil better than the camellia oil I got from Chidoriya.

Wow, I just looked at this and the shipping for the small pump bottle costs the same amount as the oil!

Haven't checked the shipping on Chidoriya yet, but the oil is double the price as naturaljapanesebeauty. The Amazon link may have the best deal.

Has anyone found a good camellia oil at Whole Foods Market?

Flaxen
May 1st, 2008, 09:11 PM
Wow, I just looked at this and the shipping for the small pump bottle costs the same amount as the oil!
I like to order another lightweight item with it to spread out the shipping...:whistle:

Tresses
May 1st, 2008, 09:17 PM
I like to order another lightweight item with it to spread out the shipping...:whistle:

See? See?!? Enabler!!!

;)

SilverLocks
May 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM

Oh you! Meet you at the Poor Farm! :cool:

SilverLocks
May 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
See? See?!? Enabler!!!

;)

Yes! Yes! Another one enabled.

SilverLocks
May 1st, 2008, 09:25 PM
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c030.gif

Is this the secret enabling smilie? It's a good one,

and on my 1000th post I'd like to steal it! http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c030.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c030.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c030.gif

WooHoo! :disco::disco::disco:

Flaxen
May 1st, 2008, 09:38 PM
See? See?!? Enabler!!!

;)

Is this the secret enabling smilie?
Yes. Instead of a bow, a curtsy at the end of a job well done. http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c030.gif

It's a good one,

and on my 1000th post I'd like to steal it! http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c030.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c030.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c030.gif

Congratulations! :cake: Now you'll be able to give yourself a custom user title!

Enjoy your oil and other Japanese hair products, too.:wink:

Tresses
May 1st, 2008, 09:40 PM
Is this the secret enabling smilie? It's a good one,

Happy 1,000 post, SilverLocks! :cheer: What a great thread to make it in...as you prepare to spend money! :misskim:

SilverLocks
May 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
Thank you Flaxen and Tresses. :inlove:

Yay, I can give myself a custom user title and a 1000th post present! :joy:

SilverLocks
May 1st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Thank you Flaxen and Tresses. :inlove:

Yay, I can give myself a custom user title and a 1000th post present! :joy:

ETA: P.S. Flaxen, job well done! ;)

Oops, I meant to edit,, not quote.

SpiralingWaves
May 1st, 2008, 10:06 PM
Congratulations SilverLocks on your 1000th post! :-)

I don't know why I am up this late, but it was so bad of me to read this thread right now .... so yeah, I bought the Oshima Tsubaki Camellia Hair Care Oil. With all these great reveiws, how could I resist? I am excited though ... I bought it directly from the TrueRenu website (https://www114.ssldomain.com/TrueRenu/TR/Scripts/default.asp), they take paypal there. They have lots of goodies there! Go ahead, take a look .... :grin:

Tresses
May 1st, 2008, 10:10 PM

I don't know why I am up this late, but it was so bad of me to read this thread right now .... so yeah, I bought the Oshima Tsubaki Camellia Hair Care Oil. With all these great reveiws, how could I resist? I am excited though ... I bought it directly from the TrueRenu website (https://www114.ssldomain.com/TrueRenu/TR/Scripts/default.asp), they take paypal there. They have lots of goodies there! Go ahead, take a look .... :grin:

Are you Flaxen's apprentice? :suspect:

;)

Enjoy your Camellia! :grin:

Flaxen
May 1st, 2008, 10:16 PM
Ooh, another one. :twisted: :flowers:

mira-chan, your new signature is gorgeous! Look at that braid! Must be the camellia oil. :agree:

Tresses
May 1st, 2008, 10:21 PM
mira-chan, your new signature is gorgeous! Look at that braid! Must be the camellia oil. :agree:

Agreed - lovely! :grin:

OK...Tresses is getting off the computer now. I turned into a pumpkin 20 minutes ago. :silly:

SpiralingWaves
May 1st, 2008, 10:22 PM
Are you Flaxen's apprentice? :suspect:

;)

Enjoy your Camellia! :grin:

He, he ... yes, well I had to try! :D ;)

SpiralingWaves
May 1st, 2008, 10:24 PM

Oooo, you're horrible!:lol: :)

mira-chan
May 1st, 2008, 10:27 PM

Agreed - lovely! :grin:

OK...Tresses is getting off the computer now. I turned into a pumpkin 20 minutes ago. :silly:

Thank you! :o

I am not tempted at all by those sites, in the least!:wigtongue .....I buy all that stuff locally instead... they are a worse temptation in person. :rolleyes:

Flaxen
May 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM
Oooo, you're horrible!:lol: :)

Never. :wethree:

'Night, Tresses. :pumpkin:

SilverLocks
May 1st, 2008, 10:34 PM

Thank you SpiralingWaves. :flower:

And thanks for the new temptation. Just what I needed! :liar:

Flaxen
May 1st, 2008, 10:37 PM
.....I buy all that stuff locally instead... they are a worse temptation in person. :rolleyes:

Oh, wow. :cloud9:

Carina
May 2nd, 2008, 02:55 AM
Thank you,Flaxen.I'm gonna look next time I'm in a chinese store:)

DMARTINEZ
May 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Just received my Tsubaki Camellia oil today. Wow, that was fast. I ordered Tues.
I am impressed with the fast service and cant wait to try out my samples I got,
and of course the oil. Yay! ;)

Deb

Tresses
May 2nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Just received my Tsubaki Camellia oil today. Wow, that was fast. I ordered Tues.
I am impressed with the fast service and cant wait to try out my samples I got,
and of course the oil. Yay! ;)

Deb

YAY! Do let us know what you think. :agree:

nastasska
May 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM

:thumbsup:

Neoma
May 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
They sell camilla oil at my pharmacy, which is Chinese. I can also check at the Japanese market where I get goodies for my bento box.

Yep, need me some camilla oil...

mira-chan
May 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
They sell camilla oil at my pharmacy, which is Chinese. I can also check at the Japanese market where I get goodies for my bento box.

Yep, need me some camilla oil...

I got mine on the block of E41st between 6th Avenue and Madison. The store is on the second floor so kind of hard to find. The door is next to the book store (Book off) and the restaurant and kind of informal looking (not the rotating one). The Oshima Tsubaki one costs $12 there. It's a drug store type one.

Neoma
May 2nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
I got mine on the block of E41st between 6th Avenue and Madison. The store is on the second floor so kind of hard to find. The door is next to the book store (Book off) and the restaurant and kind of informal looking (not the rotating one). The Oshima Tsubaki one costs $12 there. It's a drug store type one.Thank you, mira-chan. :flower:

Your new siggy pic is really stunning. I love the feather barrette.

mira-chan
May 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Thank you, mira-chan. :flower:

Your new siggy pic is really stunning. I love the feather barrette.

Thank you! I blame Xandergrammy for being an enabler with the feather. :D

soleluna
May 3rd, 2008, 05:22 AM
Any European dealers that ship to Italy?

almudena
May 3rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Any European dealers that ship to Italy?

I already posted this on this thread, but just in case www.aroma-zone.com
They are in France and ship to Europe :)

DMARTINEZ
May 3rd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Did a bit of oiling yesterday on dirty hair with my new Camellia oil, and really
cant tell a difference between that and coconut or jojoba,except no smell. :)
I will try later today as a leave-in after washing. I think I will need more
than some,since I have very coarse hair. :)

Deb

Tresses
May 3rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Deb, the Camellia oil didn't do much for me on dry hair, but as a leave in on damp hair...va-va-va-VOOM! :) Just a few drops, now. ;)

Carina
May 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Oh,how I envy you with camellia oil in your hair:o.I'm trying to find a place that sells it but I seem to be out of luck,I'm afraid:shrug:.

soleluna
May 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
I already posted this on this thread, but just in case www.aroma-zone.com
They are in France and ship to Europe :)

ETA: can't see the camelia oil on their website though

almudena
May 3rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
http://www.aroma-zone.com/aroma/he_fra_vegetale.asp#camelia

:)

Carina
May 3rd, 2008, 12:41 PM
I could not find it on that site either:confused:.Thank you for that link,almudena

soleluna
May 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
thanks! I don't know french though.. any idea on how much shipping is?

Carina
May 3rd, 2008, 03:02 PM
I sure wish I knew about the shipping but I don't:(.But I still want that oil though:p

LaCitoyenne
May 3rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
thanks! I don't know french though.. any idea on how much shipping is?

Well, I am somewhat bilingual, but not too familiar with the lingo in France.

I'm going to hazard that you'd pay 6.9 euros for shipping were you to buy one bottle of the stuff.

jesamyn
May 3rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
*sighs* I didn't see it at my favorite Asian market today, but I can't read kanji either. I also didn't try looking in the cooking oils! Hrm. Now I can't decide if I wanna wait until I go back to that side of town, or try the Japanese store that I located closer to my place of residence.

Enablers!

soleluna
May 4th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Well, I am somewhat bilingual, but not too familiar with the lingo in France.

I'm going to hazard that you'd pay 6.9 euros for shipping were you to buy one bottle of the stuff.

thanks... if I ever manage to register etc, that is!! :D

almudena
May 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Last February I got from them grapeseed oil, aloe gel, Lavender EO, Cypress EO and Shea Butter and I think I paid 6 euros for shipping to Spain. Maybe it was a bit more, but not that more. HTH :)

Loviatar
May 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Dang, you guys.

Now I have to go buy Camellia Oil... especially if it might bring back my wavies. I see Hedy's Haven has emu oil, too. I planned to try that montha ago and put it off. Bother all you enablers.

And did someone mention Ladybug sticks??? :D

SilverLocks
May 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Dang, you guys.

Now I have to go buy Camellia Oil... especially if it might bring back my wavies. I see Hedy's Haven has emu oil, too. I planned to try that montha ago and put it off. Bother all you enablers.

And did someone mention Ladybug sticks??? :D

Ah, another one caught by the Camellia Oil bug....:gabigrin:

You have entered the Enabling Zone... dadadadadadada....

Ladybug sticks? oh no, you just reminded me of them! :lala:

Too late though, I already ordered the oil from Amazon.
Can't wait to try it. 8)

Carina
May 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I have finally found a place in Sweden that sells camellia oil:joy:.The bottles are small(30 ml)but I don't care because I'm so happy:happydance:

nastasska
May 4th, 2008, 09:25 PM
My Camellia Oil came already:happydance::cheer::cheese:

rhosyn_du
May 4th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Oh, man. Consider me officially enabled. I'll have to stop by the Japanese grocery sometime this week to see if they carry it.

chloeishere
May 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Not to enable any farther, but... I've used it every time I've washed as a leave-in since the first time I tried it. It's lovely-- difficult to apply too much, very smooth-making, and great shine! You definitely can over-apply though-- I over applied the second time, I think. It looked fine the first day, and then looked greasy. But I used a ton on my not-quite-APL length hair, so it makes sense.

I only have an one-ounce bottle of it. Is it weird that I'm already worrying about when I'm going to run out? I keep telling myself that I have plenty of time before I need to order more, as I'm sure the one ounce bottle will last at least a month!

nastasska
May 4th, 2008, 10:23 PM
The Camellia Collective.......You have been absorbed (greaselessly;))

SpiralingWaves
May 5th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Lol nastasska!!

I ordered my oil very very late this past thursday night and received it early saturday. I am amazed at their fast shipping and customer service! I will definitely order from them again, as I have my eye on a few other items in their store. :wink:

I used this oil on just washed damp hair and found it to be very lightweight and non-greasy. I agree with chloeishere, I don't think you can use too much of this oil. I used quite a bit and was a little worried that I was going to end up with oily looking hair, but not the case. I'm very happy I was lured in by all you oily temptresses! :p :D

DMARTINEZ
May 5th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Im liking the Camellia oil so far. I havent used it alone yet. I dont think it would
work on my very coarse hair. So, Ive mixed it with my coney leave in. And some
on my face.It sinks in very quick. Im just not brave enough to use it alone
as a leave-in.Yet. :) I did try it on dry hair,and it was nice,but noticebly
a bit greasy. Maybe I used too much. Further experimentation is necessary! ;)

Deb

Flaxen
May 5th, 2008, 01:34 PM
The Camellia Collective.......You have been absorbed (greaselessly;))
:rollin: Too true.

Yay for everyone who has found a source! :cheese:

nastasska
May 5th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I put it on three times yesterday:cheese:

It's absorbed in so well and my hair feels so soft which it really needed after the Avocado misadventure

Tresses
May 5th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I put it on three times yesterday:cheese:

It's absorbed in so well and my hair feels so soft which it really needed after the Avocado misadventure

Hooray!! :cheese:

savi
May 6th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Enabled. :nono:

I tried my best to avoid this thread, but every time I checked the Recipes forum this was just... there. Calling my name.

The amazon.com doesn't ship camellia oil to Finland, so I went to aroma zone. Got to use my rusty french once again, so now I'm waiting. The postage was 6.9€.

Poor postman, he's lately had to carry parcels here all the time. I bet he's starting to think I'm crazy or something.. :rolleyes:

soleluna
May 6th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Oh, if I decide to order from aroma zone can someone help me out?

also, can any of you compare camelia oil to argan oil? thanks!

Neoma
May 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM

It's funny that you should ask that, soleluna. I was just going to start a thread on argan oil. All I know is that it is a "dry oil." The thing that concerns me is that the tree that it comes from is endangered. Are they cultivating it somewhere? But I am curious about it. Kiehl's carries it.

soleluna
May 7th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I know that an organic online seller has it, and she is all for protecting trees etc, so I am pretty sure they cultivate it. here is the link http://www.saicosatispalmi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=102&products_id=461

All my friends on the Italian forum swear by argan oil, and since it's easier for me to get than camelia oil, I wanted to know how the two compare!

nastasska
May 7th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I've been interested in Argan Oil.It comes from Morrocco it's been used there for centuries according to what I've read.I'd love to try it but it's just too expensive at the moment

soleluna
May 7th, 2008, 03:00 AM
the one I linked is 12 euros for 30 ml. I don't know if there are cheaper ones around, but I guess you can find them!

Carina
May 7th, 2008, 11:03 AM
My camellia oil arrived today:joy:.I have just used some on my washed hair.I must say that I just love it:heart:.I used a bit to much but my hair soaked it right up.:p.This oil is a keeper.

Neoma
May 7th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I bought a bottle of camellia oil at my pharmacy for $15.00 tonight. When I got home, I smoothed a few drops through my length and a little over the crown. My length drank it up. My crown looks very shiny.

I was amused by the little pamphlet that came in the box:

Applied to brittle hair and slit [sic] ends, it replenishes lost moisture and leaves hair soft, lustrous and healthy-looking.

Hair application: Smooth appropriate amount of Camellia Sinenses onto the hair after wash. Apply gently massage for 5 to 10 minutes. :silly:

shellblue1
May 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
If any of you buy a lot of things on ebay, there is a seller there who has wonderfully priced camellia oil in various sizes, which is how I tried it. Her store is called Hedy's Haven.

I have bought a few items from this seller before and the seller is very reputable. In fact, I just got some Camellia Oil from their store for VERY cheap.

squiggyflop
May 8th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I have bought a few items from this seller before and the seller is very reputable. In fact, I just got some Camellia Oil from their store for VERY cheap.
i always buy from hedys haven.. i was buying it back before it became popular on this site.. :D her oil is very nice and lasts a really long time..

Neoma
May 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I used my new camellia oil on my hair last night. I also used it on my face as a moisturizer last night and this a.m. It is positively the lightest oil that I've ever used. And I can't detect any fragrance at all. I think I'm in love. :heartbeat

ktani
May 8th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I am not trying to throw cold water on a hot topic and no one here has reported problems but I have seen reports on the net about camellia oil and skin breakouts. It may have to do with the quality and purity of the oil. Most of the reports though are very positive, as they are in this thread.
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=68927/Treatments/Unlisted_Brand/Silkia_Camellia_Oil/

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5471

http://www.makeup411.net/showthread.php?t=5671&page=3

squiggyflop
May 8th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I am not trying to throw cold water on a hot topic and no one here has reported problems but I have seen reports on the net about camellia oil and skin breakouts. It may have to do with the quality and purity of the oil. Most of the reports though are positive, as they are in this thread.
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=68927/Treatments/Unlisted_Brand/Silkia_Camellia_Oil/

you are right.. no one really has posted about any problems.. i cant use camellia oil near my scalp usually because i sometimes get painful pimples on my scalp from it.. actually i get pimples anywhere on me if i get any type of oil on my skin.. coconut oil is the worst..i used it as a foot moisturizer and ended up with pimples on my foot.. i couldnt even put shoes on..

honestly i dont understand why anyone needs moisturizer for their face... mine never gets dry.. i dont understand how some people think adding oil to their face is going to cleanse it.. the only thing thats ever really helped my face is rubbing alchohol.. and no it didnt dry out my face.. it just made my pimples heal faster.. but maybe its because im a greasy girl.. i produce my own slime that oozes out of me and makes me greasy yuk!

so anyway ive had bad results with camellia when used near the skin.. but i can use it on my hair every once and a while.. its the only oil my hair doesnt hate.

SilverLocks
May 8th, 2008, 09:36 PM
My camellia oil came in yesterday; swift delivery along with some samples of shampoo/condish, lotion and tea. I had ordered from Amazon and it was shipped by TruRenu.

The oil is scentless and clear. I put 2 drops on my palm and spread it on dry hair. A couple of times. Then at night, I did some more, adding even more to the ends, thinking I would be washing today. It was a little greasy at night, but by morning didn't look so bad . Never did wash today, but hair is soft and conditioned, still clean, all the oil absorbed. It's unlike any other oil I've used in that amount without looking oily.

I'm seriously enamored with this oil. It tames the frizzies like no other. I can't wait to try it on wet hair. And face.

Thanks everyone for the enabling! :love:

Tresses
May 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I am not trying to throw cold water on a hot topic and no one here has reported problems but I have seen reports on the net about camellia oil and skin breakouts. It may have to do with the quality and purity of the oil. Most of the reports though are very positive, as they are in this thread.

Interesting. As a matter of fact, I just wrote another review of Camellia in my blog describing what it does for my face. In short, it's wonderful, and my blemishes are healing faster than they did before. I have dry skin, but also deal with adult acne. In the last link you gave, the poster mentions the smell of the oil. Mine doesn't smell at all. I wonder if she got a bad batch? :ponder:

honestly i dont understand why anyone needs moisturizer for their face... mine never gets dry.. i dont understand how some people think adding oil to their face is going to cleanse it.. the only thing thats ever really helped my face is rubbing alchohol.. and no it didnt dry out my face.. it just made my pimples heal faster.. but maybe its because im a greasy girl.. i produce my own slime that oozes out of me and makes me greasy yuk!

squiggyflop, it is entirely possible that your skin oozes slime because you are over-drying it with alcohol. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but it is common for skin to produce more oil when it is stripped of its own natural oil. It's called rebound.

Just a thought.

Loviatar
May 9th, 2008, 03:30 AM

I have to agree with Tresses here.

First of all, different people have different skin concerns. I know if I did not use my Neals Yard orange flower oil or rose oil on my face, my skin would feel tight and rather painful. I use it before my normal moisturiser.

I suffered from very oily skin in university and I made the mistake of using very harsh products (Clearasil Extra and 10-0-6 among others, full of salicylic acid and alcohol). My skin produced more and more oil to compensate for the overdrying I was giving it, and I eventually gave up in despair. My skin evened out more once I came off the BC pill and started using gentler products. Strangely two of the best things that work for my skin now are Lush Ultra Bland (made with peanut oil) and OCM (castor oil and olive oil.)

You might want to try witch hazel instead of the rubbing alcohol, it might be a natural astringent instead of using something so harsh. I like to tone with witch hazel on very hot days when I feel I am oilier than usual.

Tresses, I too have dry skin and adult acne in places (especially my forehead and temples and it is so painful.) I hope I can gain some help from your camellia review and then I will try camellia for myself on my skin. I had meant to buy some just for my hair but now I am tempted. Anything to clear up these painful little red bumps. :(

Juliet's Silk
May 9th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Is there any chain or shop that is carrying camellia oil? My brother stays for a few weeks in Honolulu/Hawaii and he needs to bring me some. Is it likely that he'll find it in any Japanese store? I need to give him specific information or he won't find it I'm sure. :lol:

Masara
May 9th, 2008, 04:43 AM

I have the aromazone camellia oil. It's Chinese not Japanese if that makes a difference to you. It's very light and as other people have said, it would probably be more difficult to over-oil with it that some other oils. I don't find it the miracle product many people here do. My hair seesm to prefer coconut oil. But it's very good for smoothing the odd "fly-away"

I also have some argan oil, although not from aroma zone, I got it in the local supermarket. It's very nice and smells wonderful (sort of nutty) But I find it too heavy for my hair compared to the camellia oil. It's much thicker and doesn't seem to absorb as well on my hair. It's OK for an overnight oiling but I can't use it as a leave-in. It's supposed to make your hair shine, but mine still shines best with coconut oil.

In fact I'm a bit of an aroma zone addict. I love all the empty pots and bottles they sell. I've got their hemp seed and jojoba oils as well. If you need help with ordering I can help out, just send a pm. The shipping is 5.5 euros for France and 6.9 for the rest of the European Union or free if you spend more than 35euros from france and 59 euros for the rest of europe.
The most frustrating thing is that they do have a site in English but you can only find the essential oils there, not the rest.

ktani
May 9th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Tresses

I did notice that the poster in that link mentioned the odour of the oil - that is why I said that it may have something to do with the quality of the oil.

Camellia oil in most links that I have seen, is referred to for its ability to help clear acne and leave the skin smooth and soft.

There is always going to be a percentage of people who react to a product with allergies IMO. In this case I think it may be a combination of the quality of oil itself and the processing.

The research I posted earlier referred to several grades of camellia oil and the processing to remove contaminants.

The oil most often referred to in this thread has been both odourless and very light in colour.

It may also be that cosmetic grades of camellia oil differ in the amount of possible pore clogging constituents.

ETA: I just did a quick check on camellia oil processing - it can be solvent extracted or cold -pressed and filtered. I have no doubt that the type of processing as well as the grade of oil influence the outcome on skin.

See "4.9 Solvent extraction
"Solvent extraction .... higher content of oil .... associated problems.
Problems .... with this process .... undesirable residues of solvent .... left in the extracted oil ...."

and "4.11 Cold pressing
".... used when dealing with tea seed oil extraction."
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:Ea-UuwXu1WIJ:www.rirdc.gov.au/reports/NPP/00-169.pdf+japanese+camellia+oil+solvent+extraction&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=ca

squiggyflop
May 9th, 2008, 07:21 AM
squiggyflop, it is entirely possible that your skin oozes slime because you are over-drying it with alcohol. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but it is common for skin to produce more oil when it is stripped of its own natural oil. It's called rebound.

Just a thought.

um ive never seen rebound in oilyness.. the greasyest my face has ever been is when i tried water only on my face.. i carefully washed my face evry day with water and a washcloth.. i ended up with the worst acne ive ever seen on my face.. i was so greasy that if i touched a piece of cloth to my face it would get a grease stain..

I have to agree with Tresses here.

First of all, different people have different skin concerns. I know if I did not use my Neals Yard orange flower oil or rose oil on my face, my skin would feel tight and rather painful. I use it before my normal moisturiser.

I suffered from very oily skin in university and I made the mistake of using very harsh products (Clearasil Extra and 10-0-6 among others, full of salicylic acid and alcohol). My skin produced more and more oil to compensate for the overdrying I was giving it, and I eventually gave up in despair. My skin evened out more once I came off the BC pill and started using gentler products. Strangely two of the best things that work for my skin now are Lush Ultra Bland (made with peanut oil) and OCM (castor oil and olive oil.)

You might want to try witch hazel instead of the rubbing alcohol, it might be a natural astringent instead of using something so harsh. I like to tone with witch hazel on very hot days when I feel I am oilier than usual.

Tresses, I too have dry skin and adult acne in places (especially my forehead and temples and it is so painful.) I hope I can gain some help from your camellia review and then I will try camellia for myself on my skin. I had meant to buy some just for my hair but now I am tempted. Anything to clear up these painful little red bumps. :(
um yeah i guess if your skin is painful and the oil makes it feel better i understand. ive never4 had my face feel tight.. i use an oxy pad thing everyday.. ive tried witchhazel and it didnt work it just made my face itchy.. (which made me scratch it and have red lines all over my face all day) im not as greasy now as i was in high school but im still greasy.. my dad is forever greasy so im hoping i will take after my mom and clear up when i hit 26..

ktani
May 9th, 2008, 07:59 AM
According to this 2005 research on camellia oil and skin, camellia oil in shampoo was helpful in treating seborrheic dermatitis.
http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200519/000020051905A0704758.php

And this 2007 research indicates that camellia oil may be useful for reducing wrinkles with no adverse effects reported.
http://www.smartskincare.com/resabstracts/misc-topical-agents_jung_j-ethnopharmacol_20070530.html

Also from 2007 research, camellia oil supplements are being recommended ".... to protect patients from lung metastasis of melanomas."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17499720

mira-chan
May 9th, 2008, 08:30 AM
um ive never seen rebound in oilyness.. the greasyest my face has ever been is when i tried water only on my face.. i carefully washed my face evry day with water and a washcloth.. i ended up with the worst acne ive ever seen on my face.. i was so greasy that if i touched a piece of cloth to my face it would get a grease stain..

um yeah i guess if your skin is painful and the oil makes it feel better i understand. ive never4 had my face feel tight.. i use an oxy pad thing everyday.. ive tried witchhazel and it didnt work it just made my face itchy.. (which made me scratch it and have red lines all over my face all day) im not as greasy now as i was in high school but im still greasy.. my dad is forever greasy so im hoping i will take after my mom and clear up when i hit 26..

Want to share some the oil? :silly:

My face and scalp don't produce oil, liquid sebum variety anyway. I get solid sebum which will not budge off the skin unless dissoleved by something and since "like dissolves like" water or alcohol can't dissolve it, oils do. I've had absolutely no problems from putting camellia oil on my skin anywhere. Do keep a watch on it though, if it smells strongly it's no good. Camellia oil has a shelf life of a year. It's best stored in a dark dry cool spot same as most other oils.

Tresses
May 9th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Lovi, I haven't gone back through the thread, but IIRC, people have said that the Japanese Camellia worked better on their faces than the Chinese Camellia. It's more expensive, but if that's the case, it's worth it.

I also use the OCM. :thumbsup:

Interesting info, ktani! :)

Stephanie
May 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I'm all over this. I'll be putting in an order later. :rolleyes:

ktani
May 9th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Tresses

I think so too.

Note: The camellia oil used in the research on wrinkes was camellia japonica oil.
".... we investigated the possibility that Camellia japonica oil (CJ oil) .... introduced as an anit-wrinkle agent."
http://www.smartskincare.com/resabstracts/misc-topical-agents_jung_j-ethnopharmacol_20070530.html

It is nice to know that even in research summaries, typos can be found, lol. I rarely escape them in my posts.

The research summary on seborrheic dermatitis, did not specify which species of camellia oil was used.
".... investigated the safety and usefulness of camellia oil and a camellia oil-containing shampoo ...."
http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200519/000020051905A0704758.php

Either did the research summary on camellia oil and cancer.
".... camellia oil and its distillate fractions...."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17499720

Culdayne
May 9th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been discussed recently...I am in such a time crunch due to working a ton lately, I haven't had a chance to search the forums properly.

I was reading the thread about that one product you can't live without, and many said Camellia Oil. For the users of said oil, what do you like about it, how does it compare to Jojoba oil? (one of my faves) THanks! :flowers:

Tresses
May 9th, 2008, 11:32 AM
There is an ongoing discussion about Camellia Oil right here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=456).

Happy reading! :)

soleluna
May 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I have the aromazone camellia oil. It's Chinese not Japanese if that makes a difference to you. It's very light and as other people have said, it would probably be more difficult to over-oil with it that some other oils. I don't find it the miracle product many people here do. My hair seesm to prefer coconut oil. But it's very good for smoothing the odd "fly-away"

I also have some argan oil, although not from aroma zone, I got it in the local supermarket. It's very nice and smells wonderful (sort of nutty) But I find it too heavy for my hair compared to the camellia oil. It's much thicker and doesn't seem to absorb as well on my hair. It's OK for an overnight oiling but I can't use it as a leave-in. It's supposed to make your hair shine, but mine still shines best with coconut oil.

In fact I'm a bit of an aroma zone addict. I love all the empty pots and bottles they sell. I've got their hemp seed and jojoba oils as well. If you need help with ordering I can help out, just send a pm. The shipping is 5.5 euros for France and 6.9 for the rest of the European Union or free if you spend more than 35euros from france and 59 euros for the rest of europe.
The most frustrating thing is that they do have a site in English but you can only find the essential oils there, not the rest.

Yes, that's a problem! thank you!

ktani
May 9th, 2008, 06:33 PM
The camallia oil species used in the wrinkle research is

Flaxen‘s favorite camellia oil - camellia japonica - available here
http://www.naturaljapanesebeauty.com/njb.page12.html (http://www.naturaljapanesebeauty.com/njb.page12.html)

nastasska
May 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I am officially in love with Camellia Oil :inlove:

Tresses
May 9th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I am officially in love with Camellia Oil :inlove:

I knew you would be. :agree:

Amnell
May 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM
You caught me
I just ordered some :hollie:

Stephanie
May 10th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I'm going to bite the bullet and order some right now.

jojo
May 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM

the best camillia oil is the Japanese one which is a yellow colour, I read that the ones which come from China which is paler is of lesser quality.

Thanks for posting this x

ktani
May 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM
jojo

You are welcome.

I believe that you are right - and the Japanese camellia oil, Camellia japonica or "CJ" oil, as the researchers referred to it, is the one that was reported to be so effective in the wrinkle research.

Koala Kim
May 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I received the oil I ordered from eBay the other day.
While it's not the same brand as quite a few of you have ordered and love; it's pretty darn good!

I used it for the first time this morning on my hair. My *wet* hair.
My hair does not look like an oil slick! I am so impressed. It seems to have absorbed it. I did put another drop on the ends right now. But I really don't think anything short of cutting them is really going to help.

But where I am really liking it is my face.
Those of you who regularly read my drivel (AKA my blog) know I have been boo-hooing lately about a particularily long lasting episode of rosacea.

Even though the reading I have been doing suggests not to put the oil on 'active' spots (like pimples I'm assuming) I've been doing it twice a day for a couple of days. My face is clearing up! :hollie:
And while my cheeks are still red, they are definitely not as red as before. I am estastic! :cheese:

Maybe this will help me keep it under control. :)

Tresses
May 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Koala Kim, that's great! :D

shelleybean
May 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I picked up some Camellia Oil today and got a pretty good deal. :) I found it at our local Asian grocery store for $13.99 and no shipping obviously. Very cool!

It's the same as DBF's/the Amazon one, the Oshima Tsubaki brand. The 60ml size is quite large especially for $14. :)

Here it is...
http://images.fotopic.net/yt0ood.jpg

I've already smoothed a bit on my dry length and it's quite nice. I used about 2-3 drops per side, it's a tiny greasy looking upon application but seems to be soaking in as it sits.

I'm also excited to try it on my skin as I have occasional cystic acne, the resulting scars and mild rosacea. Tresses I hear ya' about the skin being slow to heal as one gets older. It can take 3-6 months for the redness of a cystic blemish to go away after the original outbreak is long over. *sigh*

-shelleybean

Stephanie
May 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM
OT: If you're skin's healing abilities are slowing, take a look at your nutrition/vitamins. Getting plenty of Vitamin C? I've always been super slow to heal, so if I have something that's particularly nasty, I load up on C for a few days and voila, it's healed completely.

shelleybean
May 10th, 2008, 04:57 PM
That's interesting about the C Stephanie. I've been taking a bit of it over the past few days due to cold/sinus issues and I have been noticing this one blemish is clearing nicely. I thought it was due to some face serum/oil I've been using but maybe it's a combination of the two.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

-Shelleybean

Tresses
May 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM
OT: If you're skin's healing abilities are slowing, take a look at your nutrition/vitamins. Getting plenty of Vitamin C? I've always been super slow to heal, so if I have something that's particularly nasty, I load up on C for a few days and voila, it's healed completely.

Thanks for the tip, Steph! :flower:

shelleybean, that's the stuff I got. :agree: Great deal! Mine, with shipping, was about $25. :bigeyes:

Neoma
May 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM
But where I am really liking it is my face. Koala Kim, I'm loving this stuff on my face, too. I still have a ton of Moonchaser's SS Oil, which I adore, that I will continue to use as my primary hair oil. But I am blown away by how quickly the camellia oil is absorbed into my face, without leaving a trace of greasiness.

I think that this will be my facial moisturizer from here on in.

Thanks to everyone who "made" me buy this oil. :flower:

Deborah
May 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Those who have bought Hedy's camellia oil: Is her oil the Japanese or the Chinese variety? (I'd e-mail her, but she is just returning from vacation tomorrow, so she may well be behind on her mail.)

Thanks! :flower:

shelleybean
May 11th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Holy smokes!!! I used the Camellia oil on my three cystic spots last night before bed and today they look completely different. The most recent one on my cheek went from a 1/2" red mark to less than a 1/4" mark, overnight!!!! The two other spots are much older and they faded considerably overnight too.

I am floored by how well this work on scarring. I hope it works such miracle on my hair too. :)

missy60
May 11th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Those who have bought Hedy's camellia oil: Is her oil the Japanese or the Chinese variety? (I'd e-mail her, but she is just returning from vacation tomorrow, so she may well be behind on her mail.)

Thanks! :flower:

I am also wondering this and was just getting ready to post the same question. Mine is clear though so I am guessing its not the kind everyone is talking about.

Coral
May 11th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Wow I am so glad I tried this. It does absorb into my hair without greasiness. Its great for the flyaways I have along my part because it weighs them down without looking oily. :o

Carina
May 11th, 2008, 10:11 AM
The camellia oil from HH is camellia oleifera.You can see her answer in the question section in my link http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMELLIA-OIL-100-PURE-4-OUNCE-Size_W0QQitemZ160209322589QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33164 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

n3m3sis42
May 11th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I broke down and ordered some camellia oil from Hedy's Haven after reading this thread. I can't wait to try it! :)

Tresses
May 11th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Holy smokes!!! I used the Camellia oil on my three cystic spots last night before bed and today they look completely different. The most recent one on my cheek went from a 1/2" red mark to less than a 1/4" mark, overnight!!!! The two other spots are much older and they faded considerably overnight too.

I am floored by how well this work on scarring. I hope it works such miracle on my hair too. :)

:hollie:...............

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 03:50 PM
This has stirred my curiosity as well.
What does it smell like?

Elfling
May 11th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Here's another "I didn't need to know about this, or the boxwood combs" vote :p Man, and I'd done so well not buying anything recently!

Stephanie
May 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
What does it smell like?
This is what I'm wondering! I imagine it just has a neutral oil smell, but then again...? Anyone?

Neoma
May 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM
What does it smell like? Mine has absolutely no scent that I can detect. Nada.

Shelleybean, it's great to hear that you're having such amazing results with this stuff. Miraculous, from the sounds of it. Wow!:D

Flaxen
May 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM
What does it smell like?

The naturaljapanesebeauty site has a scented one that is lovely, but plain camellia oil smells very...plain, very faintly like...oil. :flower:

Stephanie
May 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Oops! I'm sorry I missed that Flaxen. Thank you. :flowers:

Tresses
May 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Here's another "I didn't need to know about this, or the boxwood combs" vote :p Man, and I'd done so well not buying anything recently!

OOO! Thank you for reminding me...my boxwood comb is due to be delivered tomorrow. :D

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Haha. No kidding, how did I miss that?
Hehe. Sorry Flaxen!!!
Hmmm, like oily chips oil? hehe sorry, I'll stop! :o

Flaxen
May 11th, 2008, 10:25 PM

Haha. No kidding, how did I miss that?
Hehe. Sorry Flaxen!!!
Hmmm, like oily chips oil? hehe sorry, I'll stop! :o
Not a problem. It's getting to be a long thread! :lol: :grouphug:

No, it doesn't have that fried smell. It's a very clean, almost not there vegetable oil aroma - very faint and light.

OOO! Thank you for reminding me...my boxwood comb is due to be delivered tomorrow.
I can't decide if that's :eyebrows: or :joy: or both.

Tresses
May 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I can't decide if that's :eyebrows: or :joy: or both.

BOTH! It just arrived. :D I had a scare though...the UPS guy delivered someone else's package to me! :bigeyes: I had just gotten on the phone to call UPS when he came back with my box. The other box was from Boca Java coffee, though. That could've been good. ;)

I can't use the comb yet, because my hair is still damp and I don't want to frizz myself out, but I did test it on my daughter. :lol: Very nice! I can't get over how smooth the wood is! Obviously very well made. I'll have to blog about it later, after I use it myself.

Dry hair, dry!

DMARTINEZ
May 12th, 2008, 09:25 AM
BOTH! It just arrived. :D I had a scare though...the UPS guy delivered someone else's package to me! :bigeyes: I had just gotten on the phone to call UPS when he came back with my box. The other box was from Boca Java coffee, though. That could've been good. ;)

I can't use the comb yet, because my hair is still damp and I don't want to frizz myself out, but I did test it on my daughter. :lol: Very nice! I can't get over how smooth the wood is! Obviously very well made. I'll have to blog about it later, after I use it myself.

Dry hair, dry!

Oh goody, something else I can read about in your blog and buy.:lol:
Runs off to google boxwood combs............

Deb

Tresses
May 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM
OH DEB! Don't google them; you'll faint. Somewhere around posts 85 through "something" in this thread you'll find my conversation with Flaxen about good boxwood combs, and not paying a fortune for them. ;)

jojo
May 12th, 2008, 07:07 PM
jojo

You are welcome.

I believe that you are right - and the Japanese camellia oil, Camellia japonica or "CJ" oil, as the researchers referred to it, is the one that was reported to be so effective in the wrinkle research.

yes thats correct, the same thing i read.

soleluna
May 13th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I got my bottle of pure, organic hand pressed camelia sinensis oil, exctracted in Terni, Italy.
:D

My local pharmacy ordered it for me. So, a recap: do I use it before or after washing? wet or dry hair? Thanks!

ETA: I googled boxwood combs after reading the discussion 80 pages ago ;) I fainted

Raederle
May 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Remember, you can always do GO through TBB :wink:

happylynngilmer
May 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Accounts on MUA and GoW suggest Camellia oil is really good for healing acne scars-but YMMV in the "it might also break you out" department.

I was debating between ordering camellia and kukui nut in my GoW order, and settled on kukui *only* because it's considered a lighter oil. I've been using jojoba on my face daily for over a year and my skin loves it, so I'm thinking it will like kukui too.

As for the the "why would someone put oil on their face as moisturizer" debate, my answer is because nothing else worked! I have dry acne prone skin and drug-store moisturizers aggrivate my skin. When I tried to rid myself of acne using harsh "acne" products, then I got black heads and cystic pimples. if skin is too dry, it's going to produce oil on it's own anyway so I'm helping it out by putting enough GOOD oil on my skin do BAD oil won't take over.
I also use OCM to remove make-up. This last year my skin has improved about 70%! If I could only get the acne scars to go away, at least half way, I would be one happy camper.

ktani
May 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM
happylynngilmer

Argan oil has many of the virtues of camellia oil and the last 2 pages here explains why and where to buy it.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4796&page=2

soleluna
May 15th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Remember, you can always do GO through TBB :wink:

what's GO? sorry :o

happylynngilmer
May 15th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Group Order :}

mira-chan
May 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I was debating between ordering camellia and kukui nut in my GoW order, and settled on kukui *only* because it's considered a lighter oil. I've been using jojoba on my face daily for over a year and my skin loves it, so I'm thinking it will like kukui too.

I've used both Camellia and Kukui nut oil and personally I think Kukui nut is heavier than Camellia oil.

soleluna
May 15th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Group Order :}

OH!!! thanks!!

(you are an evil enabler :p)

happylynngilmer
May 15th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I've used both Camellia and Kukui nut oil and personally I think Kukui nut is heavier than Camellia oil.

DOH! :mad: I'll just have wait and see I guess. I got a smaller size anyways so at least if I don't like it, I can use it for something else and order the camellia next time.

Stephanie
May 16th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Got my Oshima Tsubaki Camellia Hair Care Oil and have absolutely fallen in love. This stuff made my hair feel buttery. Even my weird ends. I put even more in last night and I wonder how it'll feel once I lightly wash it out.

The only other oil that ranks anywhere near this in my book is olive squalane.

Flaxen
May 16th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Yay! and ten characters

n3m3sis42
May 16th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I received my Camellia oil from Hedy's Haven earlier this week. So far, I've used it twice on my face as a moisturizer and once on my hair. I only oiled my hair very, very lightly, as I've had very bad experiences with too much oil on my hair. But my hair is quite soft today, so yay for that!

nomadhome
May 17th, 2008, 07:53 AM
So far Japanese Camellia gets a thumbs down from me. I applied it to wet hair and used slightly more than I would normally use with coconut oil since folks said it was a light oil that absorbs well. The result upon drying: utterly flat hair, spiky, weird ends, some soft spots, some oily spots. Now, I've been using oils for about a year and I have the even application thing down, so the oily streaks are something of a mystery to me.

I will give it another shot, using less oil. I'll have to rewash my hair tonight I think, because I can't stand this oily streak/spiky ends thing. Fingers crossed-- maybe I'll be a happier camper tomorrow morning!

Tresses
May 17th, 2008, 09:12 AM
nomadhome, I'm sorry to hear it didn't work for you the first time. FWIW, even though people have said that they can't seem to over oil with Camellia, I can quite easily. I can only handle 2 drops on each side of my length, and maybe one drop over my canopy. I hope you can get it to work for you. :)

Raederle
May 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I'm trying to figure out where I like it more -- on my hair or on my face.

I did a pretty massive 6 drops on my wet hair the other night, and the next morning, it just felt ... incredible. The ends, in particular, were most appreciative.

And on my face, it soaks in so fast. I have been applying it right after cleansing, followed by my moisturizer, but I'm starting to think I would get more benefit applying it last, because it absorbs so quickly and might take the moisturizer with it, if that makes any sense.

By the time I apply it to my face, my hair is already up for the day, or night, and I just pat the bun with whatever residual oil might be on my fingers.

My next goal is to find it locally.

Koala Kim
May 17th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm still experiementing with it hair-wise.
But my face *loves* it!

I only use 1 drop on my face & 1 on my throat in the morning. I mist it with distilled water first, then apply the oil.
I was misting before & after applying but found it made the oil take forever to absorb.

Raederle- I was applying after the moisturizer too, thinking it would 'lock' everything in place. However, I read somewhere (and I apologize because I can't recall which site it was off-hand) that it is better to apply the oil first, then moisturizer. The oil helps the skin absorb the moisterizer, much like emu oil does.

HTH! :flower:

Poolsoflaughter
May 17th, 2008, 08:39 PM
:)I'm going to order some tonight!

Raederle
May 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM
<snip>

I only use 1 drop on my face & 1 on my throat in the morning. I mist it with distilled water first, then apply the oil.
I was misting before & after applying but found it made the oil take forever to absorb.

Obviously, you have fewer issues on your skin, but then, you're a young thing after all. My throat is a 3 dropper, and my eyes and little forehead crease get a drop to share. I generally apply after rinsing my face, so it's still damp, but a little extra mist wouldn't hurt, certainly.

Raederle- I was applying after the moisturizer too, thinking it would 'lock' everything in place. However, I read somewhere (and I apologize because I can't recall which site it was off-hand) that it is better to apply the oil first, then moisturizer. The oil helps the skin absorb the moisterizer, much like emu oil does.

HTH! :flower:

Hmm, this is interesting, because it is so counter intuitive. So .... oils first, and then moisturizer. Well well. Something to add to my TBB blog.

Neoma
May 18th, 2008, 07:44 AM
All may not be well in my camellia oil paradise...

My face broke out with a crop of pimples a couple of days ago. I'm 49, and I rarely get even a single zit.

I'm not going to use the oil on my face for a few days, then reintroduce it and see what happens.

Oh, well... Worse comes to worse, I can use it soley on my hair.

DMARTINEZ
May 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I might use mine mostly for hair forks. :( Or for heavy prewash oilings. I think
I like Jojoba and Coconut better. It soaks in my hands too fast to apply evenly
to my damp hair. Oh well. Live and learn. The $$ way. ;)

Deb

ktani
May 18th, 2008, 08:52 AM
When I posted those reports on camellia oil and breakouts, earlier in this thread, I did not know then if that result had to do with the quality of the oil or not.

I still do not know.

soleluna
May 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
nomadhome, I'm sorry to hear it didn't work for you the first time. FWIW, even though people have said that they can't seem to over oil with Camellia, I can quite easily. I can only handle 2 drops on each side of my length, and maybe one drop over my canopy. I hope you can get it to work for you. :)

I second this!

I love it on my face too, BTW.

I have the camelia sinensis oil.. made in Italy, cold pressed, organic

chloeishere
May 18th, 2008, 05:13 PM
So far Japanese Camellia gets a thumbs down from me. I applied it to wet hair and used slightly more than I would normally use with coconut oil since folks said it was a light oil that absorbs well. The result upon drying: utterly flat hair, spiky, weird ends, some soft spots, some oily spots. Now, I've been using oils for about a year and I have the even application thing down, so the oily streaks are something of a mystery to me.

I will give it another shot, using less oil. I'll have to rewash my hair tonight I think, because I can't stand this oily streak/spiky ends thing. Fingers crossed-- maybe I'll be a happier camper tomorrow morning!

I have the Chinese camellia, but I definitely can over-apply. It may not look bad right away, but it will look greasy within 24 hours.

I use ONE DROP on all of my hair. I rub the drop between my hands, apply to the length and concentrate on the ends, then after rubbing several times over that area, I rub my hands over my canopy. This gives me really shiny soft hair that isn't as tangle prone as usual.

It's still working great for me after my first cassia treatment!

Koala Kim
May 18th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Obviously, you have fewer issues on your skin, but then, you're a young thing after all. My throat is a 3 dropper, and my eyes and little forehead crease get a drop to share. I generally apply after rinsing my face, so it's still damp, but a little extra mist wouldn't hurt, certainly.
Young thing...
I love you!!! :smooch:

Hmm, this is interesting, because it is so counter intuitive. So .... oils first, and then moisturizer. Well well. Something to add to my TBB blog.
I thought the same thing. But if it does act like emu oil, then it would make sense to use the oil first. So far, so good. :)

All may not be well in my camellia oil paradise...

My face broke out with a crop of pimples a couple of days ago. I'm 49, and I rarely get even a single zit.

I'm not going to use the oil on my face for a few days, then reintroduce it and see what happens.

Oh, well... Worse comes to worse, I can use it soley on my hair.
Isn't it odd how it affects people differently? :ponder:
For me, it has helped with the breakout caused by the rosacea. It's not gone, mind you. But it has helped. :agree:

tuuli
May 20th, 2008, 06:44 AM
For all German LHC members

Manufactum.de has it online.
It's Oshima Tsubaki Oil.
click here (http://www.manufactum.de/Produkt/172450/1438570/JapanischesKameliensamenoel.html)

If mentioned before, please ignore. :)

LaurelSpring
May 20th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I just recently bought some Camellia and I absolutely LOVED it! It made my hair feel like nothing else. I was absolutely sold. Its so expensive though. I am trying to use it sparingly and still use up some of the other oils I bought. I may use for my OCM and use the Camellia for my hair. I dont know yet. I want to check out some of the other suppliers also to find a cheaper source so I would also appreciate any links for cheaper sources.

SpiralingWaves
May 20th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Just an update .... my hair still loves camellia oil. And I've been using it on my three year old daughter's hair, and it is just lovely on her hair. The oil keeps her hair smooth and tangle free. It gives her blond hair a nice shine. I spritz with lavender water first, then smooth the oil on her canopy and then finger comb through her hair.

I don't seem to be able to use camellia oil on my face though. My face actually itches and will get tiny hives. I've only tried it on my face twice, and I had this reaction both times. Now, I am in the middle of allergy season for me (tree pollen), so that could possibly be the cause of the itching and hives. But I when I use other moisturizers, I don't have a problem, even if I am sneezing with watery eyes. Weird. But I will test this out again soon anyway, just to be sure.

Flaxen
May 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I would also appreciate any links for cheaper sources.
The absolutely cheapest price I found is here (http://www.imcclains.com/catalog/baren/tsubakiabura.html). :smile:

Deborah
May 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Flaxen,

The shipping from there is $12.09, so the overall price isn't as good as it first looks.

Flaxen
May 20th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Flaxen,

The shipping from there is $12.09, so the overall price isn't as good as it first looks.
Hmm, I filled out a fake order and chose Priority Shipping, and it was only (ha) $8.16 to get it across the country. Not too bad.

Deborah
May 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I see. I didn't choose any particular shipping. I just put it in the cart and went to check out.

So if anyone buys from here they should use Flaxen's shipping choice; don't leave it to the automatic shipping.

nomadhome
May 22nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
An update my experience with the Japanese Camellia oil-- I like it now, but it is easy to over oil. For me, it is very easy. Easier, I think, than with other oils. Using the tiniest bit seems to work nicely, but I can't decide if it is better than my trusty coconut or about the same. Possibly a bit better(?) The experiment continues.

It also soaks into my skin very well. My face seems to like it and it works well under makeup. If it were less expensive I would probably use it all over. I think I have been utterly enabled by this thread since I like it so much for my face and the small patch of sebo-psoriasis on my scalp that I will keep buying it just for that. Add in its usefulness as hair oil, and I am pretty content.:D

Anksa Na
May 23rd, 2008, 12:14 PM
Ordered some from http://www.naturaljapanesebeauty.com/njb.page12.html
How long does it take to be deliverd? Thanks much.

Flaxen
May 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Ordered some from http://www.naturaljapanesebeauty.com/njb.page12.html
How long does it take to be deliverd? Thanks much.
I'm in the US, and it took about 10 days. :smile:

Qamar
May 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM
My oil just arrived today. I purchased 4 ounces from Hedy's Haven and with shipping it was a bit under $10, which is by far the most reasonable price I've found.

I'm still experimenting but thus far I've oiled my hair and my daughter's hair , using three drops for each of us, and concentrating on the ends. So far it doesn't look oily, and my hair feels soft, not at all oily. I'm going to see how well it absorbs before adding more oil, since the test will be how it looks tomorrow. Olive oil is what I've used before and it always leaves my hair looking and feeling oily, even with the barest amount on my fingers. My skin LOVES the camellia oil--it absorbed almost instantly and left my skin super soft, and with great colour. (It brings a flush to my cheeks, as do the other oils I've used on my face before, but doesn't leave it feeling greasy or as if it can't breathe) I'll oil again the next time I wash it in a couple of days. Thanks for the thread! I had never heard of this particular oil before, but all of you enablers convinced me to try it, and thus far, I'm quite glad I did. AQs an experiment, I'm also going to use it to oil my feet since I have dancer's feet with the callouses from hell. If it helps them, I'll be indebted for life!

Flaxen
May 28th, 2008, 05:46 PM
AQs an experiment, I'm also going to use it to oil my feet since I have dancer's feet with the callouses from hell. If it helps them, I'll be indebted for life!

Ooh, be sure to update with your results! I know others will be interested if it does help. :smile:

Rae~
May 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Ugh, I *still* haven't bought any camellia oil, even though I've been thinking about it for ages. Must. do. soon.

flapjack
May 28th, 2008, 07:36 PM
There is a Japanese market two blocks east of my house so maybe I should stop by... when I get a new job again... hahahahahaha. My coconut oil is almost gone!