PDA

View Full Version : Salt water spray - damaging?

elina333
April 3rd, 2010, 03:37 AM
Ok so I've been using Bumble & Bumbles Surf Spray from time to time and Im wondering how damaging it is..? :confused: You can use it both on wet and dry hair and I always use it on dry. It shouldnt be as damaging, right? :hmm: Its pretty much just sea water...

(And sorry if this has already been discussed, couldnt find it)

Loreley
April 3rd, 2010, 06:32 AM
I think salt is not very good for hair. But I don't know what kind of product that is so maybe someone else will be able to help you. :confused:

elina333
April 3rd, 2010, 07:26 AM
Well, its not just the B&B brand Im curious about but the product in general. Salt spray - is it very bad for hair and should I cut it from my routine? (I dont use it very often but occasionally when I go to parties)

janice
April 3rd, 2010, 07:57 AM
What about all the mermaids with long beautiful hair? Okay, okay... but what about all those seaside girls, beach girls, and Cali girls with gorgeous hair? I'm just going to take a wild guess: since salt is natural, it should be okay if used in moderation.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 3rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
I'm curious to hear the explanation to why salt can be damaging. Does it lift the cuticles?

aisling
April 3rd, 2010, 08:34 AM
Salt is drying for hair. That said, I like using surf spray myself on my long bangs, they tend to turn greasy very fast, the slightly drying effect of the salt water spary works just well then.

Angela_Rose
April 3rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
Salt is drying for hair. That said, I like using surf spray myself on my long bangs, they tend to turn greasy very fast, the slightly drying effect of the salt water spary works just well then.

'cause your bangs' own oil is protecting you hair from the salt.

I spend a lot of time on the ocean in the summer and I try to oil up before I get my hair wet. It creates a barrier of moisture that the salt has a hard time getting through.

marla
April 3rd, 2010, 08:49 AM
I spend a lot of time on the ocean in the summer and I try to oil up before I get my hair wet. It creates a barrier of moisture that the salt has a hard time getting through.

I have considered this but doesn't putting oil on your hair before going in the sun make it more likely your hair will get fried? Like putting on baby oil and then laying out?

GoddesJourney
April 3rd, 2010, 09:22 AM
Salt water dries your hair, yes. What is the purpose of "surf spray"? I keep hearing about it but I don't know what it is. I suppose salt water won't kill your hair if you don't use it every day, but it isn't actually good for your hair. Also, I would think that wetting your hair first would minimize how much your hair actually absorbs the salt water.

getoffmyskittle
April 3rd, 2010, 09:48 AM
It is very damaging! Check out Snowymoon's famous experience (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12690&highlight=salt) -- so famous that I still remember it 6 years and a whole new board later. :bigeyes: It took her three months to fix.

The salt can actually leave deposits in your hair that you must chelate out. Chlorine does the same thing. Swimmers' shampoos are chelating shampoos, to remove those deposits.

ETA: And here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=179869&postcount=36) is Heidi's advice, which is what finally solved the problem.

Mutinous
April 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
Salt water played a part in the disaster of my hair that was last summer (which led me onto here actually) so I'm not sure I would recommend it. I found it very drying, combined with the sun and heat appliances I used at the time.

Now that I'm all natural, salt water (and chlorine) doesn't really harm my hair, so I suppose it depends on condition as well.

What does it say on the bottle? What is it supposed to do?

ohwhataday03
April 3rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
What about water-softeners? They are full of salt. Maybe I should try washing my hair at my moms to see if there and thing different.

What about water-softeners? They are full of salt. Maybe I should try washing my hair at my moms to see if there and thing different.

EDIT: to see if there would be any differents in the way the water making my hair feel.

Angela_Rose
April 3rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
I have considered this but doesn't putting oil on your hair before going in the sun make it more likely your hair will get fried? Like putting on baby oil and then laying out?

Not in my experience. I've been doing this since I joined on here three summers ago... and public opinion seems to think I've got pretty good hair.

long.again
April 3rd, 2010, 10:30 PM
Ok so I've been using Bumble & Bumbles Surf Spray from time to time and Im wondering how damaging it is..? :confused: You can use it both on wet and dry hair and I always use it on dry. It shouldnt be as damaging, right? :hmm: Its pretty much just sea water...

I love the way my hair is with salt water in it. It has tons more body and wave. But, it is very damaging. It will cause your hair to dry and become brittle and eventually break. Sure, moderation is fine but think of it as a hair dryer. You can use it once in a while but we all know daily use should be avoided.

I believe I have read here about the differences between hard and soft water...

Wouldn't it be just like a hot oil treatment? I used to do this when I was going to be out in the sun for a couple hours (though not all day) and my hair was always super soft after.

what about all those seaside girls, beach girls, and Cali girls with gorgeous hair? I'm just going to take a wild guess: since salt is natural, it should be okay if used in moderation.

I used to spend my summer in Hawaii and, us white girls, our hair does not hold up in the sun and salt. Every nonnative girl I knew had hair to their shoulders and no longer because it wouldn't grow any longer than that.

GoddesJourney
April 4th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Not in my experience. I've been doing this since I joined on here three summers ago... and public opinion seems to think I've got pretty good hair.

I agree (on both counts). I do this with both my skin and hair to keep them from drying out if I'm in the sun for a long time.

Igor
April 4th, 2010, 01:27 AM
What about all the mermaids with long beautiful hair? Okay, okay... but what about all those seaside girls, beach girls, and Cali girls with gorgeous hair? I'm just going to take a wild guess: since salt is natural, it should be okay if used in moderation.

The idea that natural = ok is what caused my starting length to be “bald” :wink:
Don’t forget nature has toxins and poison too!

And gosh, I still cringe thinking about Snowymoons trouble with the salt

Melisande
April 4th, 2010, 01:46 AM
In moderation, my hair seems to like salt. I use Lush BIG every two months for deep cleansing - it contains sea salt, and my hair bears it well. I do have to dilute it very very much, but that's the case with all the Lush products, they are very very concentrated.

I can't say anything about the salt spray, though. When I used to swim in the sea, my hair was drier than usual but it did have this illusion of fullness that I liked ;-)

If you don't exaggerate, use a little and compensate the salt with extra TLC you should be fine.

aisling
April 4th, 2010, 01:49 AM
'cause your bangs' own oil is protecting you hair from the salt.

Yes, I figured that one out all by myself.

It is very damaging! Check out Snowymoon's famous experience (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12690&highlight=salt) -- so famous that I still remember it 6 years and a whole new board later. :bigeyes: It took her three months to fix.

The salt can actually leave deposits in your hair that you must chelate out. Chlorine does the same thing. Swimmers' shampoos are chelating shampoos, to remove those deposits.

ETA: And here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=179869&postcount=36) is Heidi's advice, which is what finally solved the problem.

Mmm, but Snowy did the spray herself and put a lot of salt in it, I don't think you should judge the product based on her experience! There where a bunch of factors I think that contributed to the disaster.

I still think it's a good product to use to give some texture and a little coarser structure on hair you aren't afraid of getting a bit dry. I wouldn't use it often on my tailbone reaching ends but shorter bangs, sure.

elina333
April 4th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Hmm well I guess its not ideal to use but it seems ok once in a while. The effect I like is the fullness (yes I like iii+++ hair :D) and the texture. Im also using styling dust and thats kind of the same effect, although I dont think its quite as drying in the long run... Thanks for all the input though! I think I will continue using it in moderation :)

rosek
April 4th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Does the salt spray ONLY have salt water in it? Or some other gel things?

elina333
April 4th, 2010, 06:10 AM

Im at my DBFs house at the moment and dont have it with me... I'll be sure to check asap though!

Nera
April 4th, 2010, 06:53 AM
My hair is always amazingly gorgeous when i swim in the sea. I hardly wash my hair in the summer, because it LOVES seawater! I have never noticed damage from it either.

Drynwhyl
April 4th, 2010, 09:47 AM
What's the purpose of it?
I had a bad experience with salt and hair. I was bathing and put that scented sea-salt in the water...unknowingly, I dived my whole hair in the water, and my hair was pretty trashed. It took days of condiotioning to make it feel a bit better...

PhillyGirl1978@
April 4th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I'm thinking if anything it is drying. I mean it is natural and there are probably a lot worse things you could use on your hair I just think that using it a lot you may start to see a difference in your hair. I do agree though...salt water...like from the beach....it gives you the best hair. I think I may actually try it, I'll just make my own...maybe try to put a few drops of oil in the water too to combat some of the dryness.

Capybara
April 4th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I think it depends on the water. I spend a lot of my time on/in the ocean, and find that the water in one area can be extremely beneficial for my hair, and another area could make my hair greasy, while the water in another area can be very drying. The best bet, I suppose, would be to use the spray sparingly if you notice any damage.

janice
April 4th, 2010, 07:23 PM
My hair is always amazingly gorgeous when i swim in the sea. I hardly wash my hair in the summer, because it LOVES seawater! I have never noticed damage from it either.
There must be something about sea water that is different from just salt and water. I am drawing from my experience from Tampa, Forida when I stayed sea side a lot. I loved it! And the beautiful tossled waves the beach gave me. I didn't experience any damage either.

Pacific
April 6th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I only use a sea salt spray on very special occasions.
I mix it together with:

8 fl. oz. of distilled water
1 tsp sea salt
1/5 - 1 tsp conditioner of your choice
a dab of uncented hairgel

Add all your ingredients to a spray bottle and shake it until it mixes together. If your hair gel and/or conditioner don't combine you can try warming the mixture to see if that helps - if it doesn't, you may have used too thick of a conditioner/gel

Merkaba
April 6th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I live in california and used to go to the beach all the time when I was younger, and I go there now that I'm back...I see bunchs of girls with beautiful hair that go in the salt water without issue.

After saltwater DO NOT shampoo your hair. Rinse throughly with water, then with a conditioner. Oiling before going into salt water is a good idea. In answer to your question, this spray is fine in moderation.

little_cherry
April 6th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Salt does draw out moisture from the hair, so following it with deep conditioning and an oiling should help your hair. I can see how using this product often can lead to disaster- (taking moisture out, putting it back in, taking it out, putting it in)...I can see how that can stress the hair quite a bit.

elina333
April 17th, 2010, 07:49 AM

I doesnt say on the bottle... I threw away the box :(

FrannyG
April 17th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I'm still not clear on what the purpose of salt water spray is. I'm intrigued. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Demetrue
April 17th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Salt water spray is used to give your hair messy tousled waves. You spray it on slightly damp hair and scrunch your hair as it dries. It adds texture and volume to your hair and gives body and some waves to fine, limp hair.

FrannyG
April 17th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Thank you for filling me in, Demetrue. :)