PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with short layers?

BattahZ
April 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
I'm in the process of growing out some really short layers in my hair - my hemline length is around 26 inches, but I just measured my shortest layer and it's around 16, if that gives you any idea. When I wear my hair curly the dramatic layering looks good, but it makes it really hard to bun my hair or really do any kind of up style without resorting to bobby-pinning the front. And when I let my hair dry in a bun-type style to give me loose waves, the short layers in the front turn into a big poofy mess.

Any suggestions for how to deal with the short layers, both when putting hair up and when wearing it wavy? Any up styles (esp with sticks or other fun hair toys) work well in this kind of situation?

Thanks!

BattahZ
April 3rd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Any suggestions?

inertia
April 3rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Your short layers are about shoulder-length, right? So you might not be able to do a low bun at the nape of your neck, but if you put the bun high on the back of your head I think it'll be fine. Twists might be okay too.

Also, since your hair is naturally wavy, I bet this hairstick style would look great on you! (The page is in Japanese but the short demonstration video is easy to understand)
http://www.wargo.jp/howto/
If the layers come out when doing the bun low, just move it higher on the head.

BattahZ
April 4th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks, inertia!

Capybara
April 4th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Have you ever tried hair combs to hold back your layers? I have bangs, and while I love them, they don't work with every style I try. I find combs a lot less damaging than bobby pins :) Plus, you can get really pretty ones - with jewels/flowers/beads - at a good price. I sometimes use them to help secure buns as well. There are some pictures in my album, if you're interested.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize you were new. Welcome! I'm pretty new myself :D http://www.chinawholesalegift.com/Handicraft-Artworks/pendants-jewelry/Copper-Cloisonne-Hard-Enamel-Gold-Hair-Comb-213057930.htm , because the "comb" I was speaking of isn't a regular comb...XD Sorry!

BattahZ
April 4th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks much! I was thinking about trying some - seems like they'd be a good idea stuck near the top of a bun to hold the top layer hair back. Thanks for the link! I'll check it out :)

Sarah4983
April 4th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Does it look like this?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3251&pictureid=41342

Just some words of comfort: my layers (a year later) are aaaaaalmost caught up to my ends... I have a few more inches to go, but it doesn't look ridiculous anymore.

I just tried to ignore it as best as I could... it will be grown out before you know it.

Hair combs and bobby pins are always a good choice!

BattahZ
April 4th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Yeah, it looks a lot like that! Though the layers start there, than are graduated til the ends, so it's not the only layer. But the shortest layer is by far the thickest of the layers, so it looks kind of nutty.

When my hair was shorter, layering like that worked great with my curls. But I've had this problem before - as I grow my length out, keeping the shorter layers up top to give me root volume ends up looking crazy.

I'll have to take some pictures of my hair curly (where the layers look fine), then wavy or brushed out so you can see how funny the top layer looks. Sounds like I need to contribute to the thread asking curlies to brush their hair out, haha.