PDA

View Full Version : I nearly cut my hair about 3" short last night

xoxophelia
April 2nd, 2010, 06:18 PM
I'm sure some of you can relate to the "insomnia impulses" that come late at night. I have seen a lot of the healthy virgin or henna hair on LHC and start to become frustrated with my dye damage. I have maybe 3-5" of roots but haven't measured and that hair is beautiful. It has so many tones and when the sun hits it, it glows (also didn't get the heat damage the rest did). The colored hair won't fade even though I used semi permanent dye and even so, it looks completely flat.

So, I very nearly cut off nearly all of my hair.. I'm not really sure what to do about the color growing out :/

oily roots hehe.. doesn'ty show highlights in front:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4575&pictureid=68382
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4575&pictureid=68383 <sorry for location, the band of dark color from washed out dye

Left over permanent dye from underside, damaged, and also has C texture change:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4575&pictureid=68384

Shows the highlights in the front vs the discolored washed out dye when my roots were shorter in direct sun:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4575&pictureid=68385

jaine
April 2nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Well my hair is 3-5" all over ... it's not as bad as it sounds! :)
I'm taking advantage of it to make a time-lapse hair growth video ... I'll probably have something interesting to show in about a year.

julliams
April 2nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
I have moments like that late at night but by morning I have managed to convince myself otherwise. For me it is my shortest layer which is just below shoulder and I personally hate that length on me.

I once dyed my hair with a "multi tonal enhancing" semi permanent dye and it left my hair so flat compared with my real hair colour, that I washed it out immediately many times with anti dandruff shampoo. Dye just cannot compare with the real deal.

Maybe you could have a plan where you cut off an inch every 3 months so that you keep your length but gradually get more virgin hair. Then start to grow once all the dyed hair is cut off??? Just a thought.

xoxophelia
April 2nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
I'm taking advantage of it to make a time-lapse hair growth video ... I'll probably have something interesting to show in about a year.

I have never had short hair in my life... did you do so to get rid of color or damage?

xoxophelia
April 2nd, 2010, 06:46 PM
I have moments like that late at night but by morning I have managed to convince myself otherwise. For me it is my shortest layer which is just below shoulder and I personally hate that length on me.

I once dyed my hair with a "multi tonal enhancing" semi permanent dye and it left my hair so flat compared with my real hair colour, that I washed it out immediately many times with anti dandruff shampoo. Dye just cannot compare with the real deal.

Maybe you could have a plan where you cut off an inch every 3 months so that you keep your length but gradually get more virgin hair. Then start to grow once all the dyed hair is cut off??? Just a thought.

I guess the thing that I am worried about, it if I just let my hair grow out, having my hair split in half obviously in color. And, the darkest part of my hair, for some reason, is right by my roots ^_^' . At some point I will have to do something about it..

jaine
April 2nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
I'm sure some of you can relate to the "insomnia impulses" that come late at night. I have seen a lot of the healthy virgin or henna hair on LHC and start to become frustrated with my dye damage. I have maybe 3-5" of roots but haven't measured and that hair is beautiful. It has so many tones and when the sun hits it, it glows (also didn't get the heat damage the rest did). The colored hair won't fade even though I used semi permanent dye and even so, it looks completely flat.

So, I very nearly cut off nearly all of my hair.. I'm not really sure what to do about the color growing out :/

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4575&pictureid=68383 <sorry for location, the band of dark color from washed out dye

Shows the highlights in the front vs the discolored washed out dye when my roots were shorter in direct sun:

You have such a pretty face and I agree your natural color is beautiful! The color near your roots really brings out the blue in your eyes. I'm sure it would look beautiful short or long, whatever you decide! :D

I didn't cut mine from dye damage, I just needed a change ... cut it to chin length last summer, then pixie about a month later.

julliams
April 2nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
Well now that you have added pictures I think you can safely just grow it out. We are not talking blonde on the ends and black at the roots. The difference is visible but probably something that you are much more aware of than everyone else. Your virgin hair looks so very healthy and the colour is lovely. If anyone asks "I'm growing it out" will shut them up.

If you really don't like it, have you had a short cut before? I personally didn't mind it when I cut mine but it just wasn't right for me - I look better with long hair. If you have had short hair before and it looks great then go for it. You have a lovely face and I think you will look great with any hairstyle you decide to go for.

Sleep on it for a couple more weeks and if it's still strongly on your mind, then I would make an appointment to talk to your hairdresser about what they think.

christi.adell
April 2nd, 2010, 08:08 PM
Well I know it's not the popular thing to do on here...but I did exactly that. I had very similar hair and just couldn't take the weird color growing out and I just felt unpolished all the time. So I pixie-d and was relieved. But it's definitely not for everyone. I'm back on the journey to BSL but am much happier about it. I was obsessing way too much about how bad my hair looked and now I have no worries.

So whatever you do good luck! Your natural color is very gorgeous by the way. :)

xoxophelia
April 2nd, 2010, 08:38 PM
I have never had short hair before. The thing is, I am 5'9" and do have worries about coming across as feminine, and a lot of the more naturally feminine girls pull it off stunningly, but I'm not petite or anything to begin with.. if you know what I mean? And, I know this might sound weird to some, but girls have been a little mean to me about being butch, an amazon woman, or even said I look like a "****". It is silly I know.. maybe tall girls understand -_-

The thing I keep thinking is that no matter what I do, I will probably want to eventually cut off all of my colored hair .. it is just going to depend on how I do it.

In the very least, perhaps I should consider starting to maintain now rather than later or even cut back to APL to start..

I wonder though, if it would be possible for me to correct the color a little bit myself? Hm...

Juliannaissance
April 2nd, 2010, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't cut it if I was you. My hair is currently growing out it's natural color, I dyed it two colors, black on the bottom half and 6 inches of light brown on the top half growing out. I'm not planning to cut it soon. Just wait it out like I did, and if you want long hair without the color just trim half an inch once in a while until the color's gone. :) Check the pictures on my profile, you can see the color change. :D

pennyroyal
April 3rd, 2010, 12:19 AM
that is awesome! i thought about doing that actually cause my hair is really short too. I can't wait to see yours!

ninelifewriter5
April 3rd, 2010, 02:19 AM
I've been tempted to do this a few times, mainly because my hair is a combination of straightened and old-dyed hair, because it was like that when I started growing it. Plus a grown out fringe (bangs) and some 'feathering' down the front. Lots of different lengths of hair. Plus it would be cool to say I started out with virgin hair.

But then I rememer how much I disliked having short hair, and how much I loved my long hair. Good luck with whatever decision you end up making, though! :P

tameriska
April 3rd, 2010, 03:51 AM
Personally in my opinion, what I would do is;

If you already regard the dyed hair as damaged and intend to trim it off eventually, my thoughts would be to get some streaks (only on the dyed part of your hair) close to your natural colour. That will help to make the band of regrowth not as obvious, and help you to (hopefully) tolerate your dyed hair, and keep your length without the awkward growing out stages.
Maybe just do like some members do when growing out damage/ dye, just get your hair trimmed each or every other month, and that dye will be gone. Also by trimming smaller amounts more often should keep damaged ends feeling nicer.
I can't really remember who said it (although I think it was Nightshade), but I think that smaller frequent trims were compared to cutting the end of a rope, it doesn't matter how much you cut off the end of a rope, 2" or two feet, the rope is still going to fray. By cutting off 2" every so often, you are going to be left with a longer bit of rope than if you cut off 2 feet every time it gets really bad.

( I dont really don't know if the above sounds coherent, I hope it does, but am too tired to work out how to say it better)

Toadstool
April 3rd, 2010, 04:37 AM
I have never had short hair before. The thing is, I am 5'9" and do have worries about coming across as feminine, and a lot of the more naturally feminine girls pull it off stunningly, but I'm not petite or anything to begin with.. if you know what I mean? And, I know this might sound weird to some, but girls have been a little mean to me about being butch, an amazon woman, or even said I look like a "****". It is silly I know.. maybe tall girls understand -_-

You look very pretty and feminine to me. If people have been mean to you about your looks, that usually has nothing to do with reality. Were they teenage girls by any chance???
I wouldn't worry about looking butch, I think that would be hard/impossible for someone with your features.

GoddesJourney
April 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM

As someone else mentioned, I don't think it would be possible for you to come off as "butch". You have a very feminine, pretty face with very beautiful eyes (and I'm usually not that moved by blue eyes). Sounds like you're hanging out with the wrong people. Anyway, that sounds like a bunch of teenage girl nonsense. You're older now. On the other hand, I would consider looking like an Amazon woman a compliment as it would mean that I'm not too skinny (scrawny). I always appreciated a little more meat (muscle) on a woman. There's nothing wrong with being tall. I never liked tall guys because I'm too short for that and it's akward. You get to date the tall ones. Nice.

Unofficial_Rose
April 3rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
You look very pretty and feminine to me. If people have been mean to you about your looks, that usually has nothing to do with reality. Were they teenage girls by any chance???
I wouldn't worry about looking butch, I think that would be hard/impossible for someone with your features.

I agree. I was absolutely baffled at how anyone could say this. :confused:

I honestly can't see that much of a demarcation with the hair - would just grow it out, if I were the OP.

Kristin
April 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
I wonder though, if it would be possible for me to correct the color a little bit myself? Hm...

I am attempting to do this now. I have no intention of ever having virgin hair because I do not like grays on me, but...if you are interested ktani has a thready about using honey water to lighten hair. Did it twice last night and I'm already noticing a difference. It would probably be more effective if my hair were lighter, like yours. If you want to go darker on the length, you could always find a demi that matches your roots and color over it. (Not the virgin roots, just the length.)

Good luck! I wouldn't cut as it would kill me, but I think you have a very feminine face and could never look "butch.":twocents:

patience
April 3rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
I really don't see much of a demarcation line. It probably looks much worse to you than to others. I would just grow it out and slowly do mini-trims to get rid of the colored hair. (well, that is what I'm doing :) ) Have you tried hot oil treatments? Some say it helps take the color out of their dyed hair.

pennyroyal
April 3rd, 2010, 11:48 AM
i think your hair is fine but if you wanna cut it I think you would still be beautiful! So it's up to you really. Do you wanna try out short hair?

xoxophelia
April 3rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Wow, thanks you guys for all of the responses while I was away.

To all- The butch comments and everything I have been getting for the past 3 years actually. I'm not sure why girls feel the need to be mean about stuff like that. I don't usually wear a whole lot of makeup and tend to be more jeans/tee type girl nor do I style my hair really. But I think they meant more my body type and that I am not "slim" or short. I don't hang out with those girls anymore as I realized they were a bunch of gossipers. :scissors: *snip snip out of life* hehe

pennyroyal- I really don't want to try out short hair for the reasons I mentioned and also my hair texture. I would be worried I might have to heat style (but have really no clue as my hair hasn't been above my shoulders since I was 3).

patience- I had tried hot oil treatments but I'm not sure if I was doing it right. My hair was fading before, as it used to be nearly black, but I haven't been able to get much more out of it. I will have to try that again. Thanks :)

Kristin- The problem I was having with the honey lightening, was that my virgin roots were turning blonde much faster than the colored hair was fading.

GoddesJourney- Thanks :).. The amazon comment I'm pretty sure was meant as a dig as they compared me to this: http://poponthepop.com/images/gallery/serena-williams--her-plump-butt.jpg She doesn't look bad, but I don't look like that. I think you see what I mean.. Again though, just a girl being mean for some weird reason

tameriska- Makes perfect sense actually. I tried to put in a highlight in the front on the colored part myself, but it actually didn't do anything. It is definetely something to consider but .. I'll probably have to pay somebody :S

Thank you everybody again. Looking at all of this, I will first try more hot oil treatments, then try the honey again. And then, look into highlights and cost. I would really like to get my hair to 30"... so perhaps I will grow to there and begin to maintain the hair length :)

It is nice having a "plan of attack" haha

yellowchariot
April 5th, 2010, 09:32 AM
As someone else mentioned, I don't think it would be possible for you to come off as "butch". You have a very feminine, pretty face with very beautiful eyes (and I'm usually not that moved by blue eyes). Sounds like you're hanging out with the wrong people. Anyway, that sounds like a bunch of teenage girl nonsense. You're older now. On the other hand, I would consider looking like an Amazon woman a compliment as it would mean that I'm not too skinny (scrawny). I always appreciated a little more meat (muscle) on a woman. There's nothing wrong with being tall. I never liked tall guys because I'm too short for that and it's akward. You get to date the tall ones. Nice.

^ What GoddesJourney said! :thumbsup:

xoxophelia
April 5th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks yellowchariot! :)

Sammich
April 5th, 2010, 12:26 PM
You are absolutely adorable, and your hair is ROCKIN' AS VIRGIN! :)
<3 By the way, offtopicly:
I love your singing in your sig! :D

xoxophelia
April 5th, 2010, 04:06 PM
You are absolutely adorable, and your hair is ROCKIN' AS VIRGIN! :)
<3 By the way, offtopicly:
I love your singing in your sig! :D

Heh thanks. Haven't seen you around these parts too much lately :)

Sammich
April 5th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Heh thanks. Haven't seen you around these parts too much lately :)

Study, study, study. ;) My GSCE's are here! 18 exams in one month! :p
On topic: I say don't cut, will be a shame to. :p Multi coloured hair rawks!

juliaxena
April 5th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I cut my hair to 3 inches because of dye damage once. But my hair was bleached to death. It was something between chewing gum and cotton candy. Then I kept it short for about a year and kept cutting it. But I liked it short. Your hair is not nearly as damaged and you say you would not like it short so I don't reccomend cutting it. What you could do is find a temporary color similar to your natural one and put it on dyed hair every once in a while. You will eventually cut the dyed hair off anyway and temporary colors don't damage hair further.

ArienEllariel
April 6th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Your hair reminds me very much of my sister's. She's growing out darker dye as well.

freckles
April 6th, 2010, 02:28 AM
xoxophelia, I think your hair is beautiful, and I really think you would be less happy with short hair. Don't cut! Think how happy you were to reach 28"!! Do you want to go through that patience-trying mid-twenties stage again? :)
Have you considered maintaining where you are until the damage has gone?

Dars
April 6th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I'm nearly 6ft and I understand what you mean. However, me, personally I would cut off the majority of damaged hair. I've had short hair before though so I think that helps in a sense. I believe in health over length. "Correcting" the colour would be tricky, and more damage if you choose chemicals again. Perhaps henna would be an option?

xoxophelia
April 6th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I really just whatever I do, want to go back to natural. Cut or no cut. It isn't so damaged that it is horrible but I know if is far worse than my virgin hair. I do think I would be less happy with short hair. I already had to cut a decent amount last summer and I felt so.. I dunno. I would really love to be to 30" just for the mental number if you know what I mean. I might just suck it hope, hope those methods help it fade FIRST and then try maintaining just see how it goes. I can always cut later..

angelakeats
May 9th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Oh my Goodness! Our hair looks like the same colour!!!
I had blonde hair then coloured it dark brown but the ends are now more black an the mid section is red with my roots oming out blonde.
I feel your frustration but from my point of view your hair doesn't look bad so maybe mine doesn't either (i'm hoping).
I have been doing a few sessions of sun in on the ends. It seems to lift the colour just enough to blend. I am waiting for a few weeks to do another session.

Did you find a resolve with your hair feelings? :)

I may just keep mine up and swear to not bleach it ;)

Nice to meet someone who is sort of in the same situation as me.

Demetrue
May 9th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Honestly, your hair looks fine and you have such a pretty face, I don't think you need to cut it all off at all. I think the dyed part probably doesn't feel as nice to you as the virgin part, so the difference is obvious to you, but probably not to anyone else. I would just do 1/2 inch trims once a month or every two months until the dye is gone.

natorade
May 11th, 2010, 11:48 AM

you really are beautiful and could never look butch. I love your eyebrows. I don't see anything wrong with your hair, just keep trimming the dye out. I have the same problem. The ends of my hair are damaged and still have a tinit of orange form a hairdresser mishap. I have about 4.5 inches of regrowth so I see a big difference. I have thought several times of cutting my hair back in an aline to rid the damage, but I think I will just do a 1/2 inch trim for now and see what that does.

melikai
May 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM
You're very close to your goal length of 30", so I would wait until you reach it in a couple of months and then maintain there until you trim off all the damage.

My goal is tailbone, and I'm just past waist now, but I decided to maintain here and trim off my dyed ends until they're all gone. I get very tempted to cut it all off, but I don't want to lose the length, so I just have to be patient.

feralnature
May 11th, 2010, 02:08 PM
That is sorta what I am doing. Waiting til my hair gets waist length, THEN slowly trimming the ends to remove color and damage. No big chop and no more short hair. I have had no trims, none at all, working on my third year.

xoxophelia
May 11th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Oh my Goodness! Our hair looks like the same colour!!!
I had blonde hair then coloured it dark brown but the ends are now more black an the mid section is red with my roots oming out blonde.
I feel your frustration but from my point of view your hair doesn't look bad so maybe mine doesn't either (i'm hoping).
I have been doing a few sessions of sun in on the ends. It seems to lift the colour just enough to blend. I am waiting for a few weeks to do another session.

Did you find a resolve with your hair feelings? :)

I may just keep mine up and swear to not bleach it ;)

Nice to meet someone who is sort of in the same situation as me.

That is not a bad idea.. the sun in. Thing is, I tried to do that last summer before I colored it dark again and the highlights turned out sorta brassy. I bet it really depends on a lot of factors though how that will go.

I have been letting my hair fade for a long time now. I was thinking about getting the color stripped but the lady I know who does hair says it can be really risky. So what I'm thinking now is that I should just live with it for as long as I can to see what it does and then at some point get subtle highlights pulled through the length if it doesn't improve.

I have also just made peace with it and am going to grow to 30" and then trim. I sorta can't wait to get the trimming going. My ultimate goal is about hip/tb length but it will have to wait.

christinemariep
May 11th, 2010, 06:36 PM
This is totally off topic, but just checked out your youtube link and you're very talented! Those catty comments about your height were clearly jealousy.

Pear Martini
May 11th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I can relate to those late night impulses. I tend to give myself highlights late at night :o.

I wanted to just chime in and say the last pic (of your face) is so cute! You are really pretty, in a natural way.

xoxophelia
May 12th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks girls :o

Christine: Most people have no clue I sing though haha. I think it might have been jealousy but also sometimes people just like to be critical of others :/

Pear Martini- I think I have nearly always colored my hair at night as well. I am happy with myself for being able to hold off for so long.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2i2arfs.jpg

When I do get highlights pulled through this is pretty much how I want it. Very close to my natural color and she and I have very similar natural coloring. Sorta like a cool dark blonde.