PDA

View Full Version : hair dryers with cool setting/cold shot buttons

piratejenny23
April 2nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a dryer with a "cold shot" button; I've read that this really helps to set curls. I've gone most of my life without even owning a hair dryer, and haven't done ANY heat styling or drying in quite some time, but I like to brush my ends under as my hair dries, or do rag curls on occasion.

After lots of googling and review-reading, I'm getting a bit frustrated and confused. There seem to be some models with a cold shot button that can be held down, or even a cool setting--and this is the kind I would like to try. Otherwise it seems the cold button just gives a quick blast and is not meant to be used for long. Can anyone help me with specific models? TYIA! :)

CrisDee
April 2nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
I have one at home that has 3 settings, hot, warm and no heat at all; it also has 2 speed settings. I'm on the road right now, won't be home til tomorrow night, will try to remember to look and see what kind it is. All I know is I got it at Wally World :D

Cecily
April 4th, 2010, 01:08 AM
My mom got me this Conair one for Christmas '08 and I love it: http://www.conair.com/conair-1875-watt-dryer-p-29-1_7_68.html

I don't know where she bought it, but I've seen it at Target and Sally's.

KittyLost
April 4th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I have a hairdryer by Nicky Clarke that is about four years old. It has three settings, hot, warm and cold with three speed settings too. It also has a quick cold shot button.

Look for a hair dryer with more than one heat setting, they usually have a constant cold setting on them which may help you more than just a normal cold 'few seconds' shot button.

countryhopper
April 4th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I've been known to sit in front of a fan during the summer!!

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but it could maybe help cut down on drying time and cool you off at the same time.

piratejenny23
April 4th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Look for a hair dryer with more than one heat setting, they usually have a constant cold setting on them which may help you more than just a normal cold 'few seconds' shot button.

I should clarify: I'm trying to buy one online and I can't always tell from the photos/descriptions/reviews whether the dryer has a constant cold setting. Thanks!

CrisDee
April 4th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Ok, I'm home now, checked my hair dryer, I think it's this one (http://www.amazon.com/Vidal-Sassoon-VS781-1875-Watt-Professional/dp/B00005CDSF). Don't know about the "ionic" part, that seems like a bunch of hype to me, I just got it cos it has a setting that's completely room temperature air, no heat at all, and the fan setting is as adjustable on the cold setting as it is on the settings with heat.

Good luck :)

Capybara
April 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I've taken to using an elastic band to hold down the cold shot button on my hairdryer (although I haven't used it since october :P ). I have this one: http://www.totalbeauty.com/reviews/product/6156201/rusk-ctc-lite

And also a t3 one that I really liked, but haven't used in even longer.

Xandrra
April 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I also own a Nicky Clarke one, here's what it looks like
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nicky-Clarke-NCD102-2000W-Diffuser/dp/B000MGBQVO/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_1

It has 3 heat and speed settings. The coldest setting uses no heat at lower speed settings, in fact it was actually too cold to use during the winter!

It also has an ionic setting, though I never really bothered with it so I can't say if it works or not, and a cool shot button, but that seems to perform the same as the lowest heat setting so I don't even know why its there.

KittyLost
April 4th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I should clarify: I'm trying to buy one online and I can't always tell from the photos/descriptions/reviews whether the dryer has a constant cold setting. Thanks!

Sorry! Xandra luckily has the same hairdryer as me anyway so her description would be better!

By the way, I love signature. Firefly was an amazing show.