PDA

View Full Version : Sudden hair texture change

JenniferNoel
April 2nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
It may be hormonal, but I'm not so sure about it this time around. Over the past several weeks, my individual strands have been closer to M/C than straight up M. I can hear it nice and clear when I roll them between my fingers, and thy feel wiry but not hard. They don't look much different and all together they feel soft and moisturized as usual, but they're feeling much more wiry than usual. Also, I haven't seen a split end in a long time. I didn't change anything, dietary nor physical, however, I used Raw Deep Purple for the second time ever last week (and in one week, a half inch of growth. Huge spurt!), which my hair loves not to mention looks marvelous in, not too bright, just enough purple to let you know it's there, and perhaps the particular brand coats the strands more than other chemical dyes. I've never had this happen before.
I've also noticed my hair went from 1c to a straight up 2b with the change. I think it's something in my body versus the dye though. Any thoughts? Similar experiences? Let me know.
Cool! :cool:

ericthegreat
April 2nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Age we age, our hormones and our body chemistry changes. Some people with pin straight hair as a child can gradually develop waves or even curls as an adult, or vice versa.

The fact that you are describing a total change in your individual hairtype, from medium texture and just slightly wavy hairtype to a coarser texture and more wavy hairtype really does seems to indicate a hormonal shift as you yourself have already speculated.

My own hair has also changed texture and thickness over my lifetime. When I was a child all the way up to around 13 years old, my hair was very soft, somewhat finer than the hair I have right now currently, and stubbornly pin straight without even a hint of wave to it. Between 14 to 15 years old, my hair grew thicker, much coarser, and it went from stubbornly 1a to the 1a/1b that it is like today.

JenniferNoel
April 3rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
I'm only in my early 20's - so perhaps it's a belated development situation here. Thanks for the thoughts, Eric!

long.again
April 3rd, 2010, 10:43 PM
Have you changed your wash method over the last month?

When I first came to LHC, I started doing the baking soda and vinegar thing and it totally made my hair 2c with some 3a and 3b in there but it was course and not shinny. Though I loved the look, I hated the feel and I went back to conditioning and my normal hair returned.