PDA

View Full Version : Correlation between hair and nail growth?

julliams
April 2nd, 2010, 05:33 AM
Does anyone know if there is any correlation between the growth of fingernails and hair? I've been measuring my growth by taking a photo at the beginning of each month whilst wearing a striped shirt. I also cut my nails that day right down and leave them for the whole month. I wondered if I have slow growth of my fingernails, would that mean that my hair is also growing slower or are the two totally unrelated? Probably a silly thing to think about but... there it is.

Loreley
April 2nd, 2010, 05:45 AM
I think they are related. They need the same vitamins and they are the same material. There are vitamin supplements specialized in hair and nail growth.

LunarAurora
April 2nd, 2010, 06:58 AM
I think so, too !
Last summer my nails were growing very fast, and after having measuring my hair, i saw that i had won almost 1 inch a month. Now, both are growing fast :/

Bethie
April 2nd, 2010, 09:59 AM
I am lead to believe so, just because the vitamins that one can take for hair most of the time has the words "for hair and nail growth" some where on them.

Purdy Bear
April 2nd, 2010, 10:52 AM
I think they are related, as thy both grow from the same stuff. Saying that I recently read that just because one of them is really good doesnt mean the other will.

My nails are as strong as bricks but I dont have hair.

natorade
April 2nd, 2010, 12:38 PM
I wonder if there is a correlation between hair growth and eyebrow growth? I know my eyebrows ger bushy fast. Seems like within days after a waxing they look like a caveman again.

Juliannaissance
April 2nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Nails and hair are both made up of protein. So I think there is a big correlation. Hair, skin, and nails vitamins as mentioned above specialize in growing the hair and nails.

jera
April 2nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
I believe they're both made of keratin and taking biotin orally will help both nails and hair to grow. :)

NuclearMosquito
April 2nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
My nails have always grown quickly, and my hair goes in fits and spurts. I used to average an inch a month in hair growth though, which I understand might be faster than average.

Lassie
April 2nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
from all the research i have done yes there is a direct correlation.
They both require the same vitamins and minerals to grow....that which makes nails grow - is the exact same thing that makes hair grow.
If one is slow then so is the other, if one is fast then the other is also.
As for eyebrows - well yes, all hair on the body grows at pretty much the same rate, but eyebrows, eyelashes, and hair that is shaved off - seems to grow much much faster then the hair on our heads quiet simply because 2 mm of hair is noticed straight away on eyebrows, legs etc...but entirely unnoticeable on your head

Mae
April 2nd, 2010, 10:53 PM
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43423) is a poll about this topic.