PDA

View Full Version : If Biotin Didn't Work For You...What Did?

KittyLost
April 2nd, 2010, 04:54 AM
Hello!
Sorry if this has been asked before I was just curious to see what people recieved successful growth results with if they had unsuccessful results with biotin.

I took biotin for over two months and found no benefits to it at all. My hair shed like crazy and I used to get terrible headaches that started when I started taking biotin. As soon as I came off it both of these stopped.

So I was wondering if those of you who had no success with biotin, do you all have a common factor in what was successful in hair growth for you?

Vermelha
April 2nd, 2010, 05:48 AM
Well, when Biotin alone didn't work, I did a bit of research and found that I needed to take all of my B-Vitamins together for them to be effective. I also paired it with MSM and now I'm seeing results. I'm also eating more protein, which are essentially amino acids. Now, if I could stop drinking coffee and drink more water, I will be smooth sailing.

Hana
April 2nd, 2010, 07:44 AM
actually, i'm interested in this thread too!

i tried biotin for a while (about 2 months) and the only thing it made me do was break out, much like that foo fighters song, but less melodic, more embarrassing.

Atalanta
April 2nd, 2010, 07:50 AM
I took Biotin and a multi-vitamin this week (and only for this week) I broke out and got god-awful migrains.

Of course. :rolleyes:

I am also looking at MSM.

i tried biotin for a while (about 2 months) and the only thing it made me do was break out, much like that foo fighters song, but less melodic, more embarrassing.
:rollin:

KittyLost
April 2nd, 2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks for replying!

I'm taking a multi-vitamin and evening primrose oil along with hair, skin and nails. I haven't been taking them long enough to see an affect yet though so I will have to update at a later time. I'm also looking into MSM.

I'm a little gutted that biotin only succeeded in giving me heahaches because I've heard some great things about it!

Purdy Bear
April 2nd, 2010, 10:47 AM
I officially start my personnal trials after a Drs visit on the 8 April. Thats so she can see the before scalp.

I have been using Balayam (nail rubbing and is on You Tube) which really made the head itch, also some hot flannel compresses on the head. Combined with eatting more spinach I have now some very fine baby hairs in patches.

Iv also found hypnotherapy, meditation, head massage, visualisation and affirmations to be affective used together with everything mentioned above.

pennyroyal
April 2nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
i actually just started taking biotin a couple days ago so I am not sure yet if it's working. I got the 300mcg's tho so I could control how much I take per day in hopes of not breaking out or getting bad headaches, as I am already prone to headaches. i hope it works!

Roseate
April 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Biotin didn't work for me, but neither did MSM or oils (fish, evening primrose). My hair grows at an average rate and there is no changing its mind!

I'm still taking all these; I bought big bottles, might as well use them up. When they run out I'm going to keep up my regular multivitamin and the oils, since those are good for the heart as well, but the biotin and MSM are going to the curb.

They need to start bottling patience and selling that as a supplement for wannabe longhairs, I'd buy it!

jera
April 2nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
Hello!
Sorry if this has been asked before I was just curious to see what people recieved successful growth results with if they had unsuccessful results with biotin.

I took biotin for over two months and found no benefits to it at all. My hair shed like crazy and I used to get terrible headaches that started when I started taking biotin. As soon as I came off it both of these stopped.

So I was wondering if those of you who had no success with biotin, do you all have a common factor in what was successful in hair growth for you?

Oh sweetie it takes time for biotin to work. Like you I suffered from biotin migraines but in researching this, discovered that biotin elevates blood sugar levels so if you get migraines from biotin, take a riduculously small dose and increase it week by week. After I did this my biotin related migraines stopped and I'm now up to 4,000 MCG biotin a day with no problems and I am seeing growth from it.

If you absolutely can't tolerate biotin, try MSM and amino acid protein supplements. :)

Lassie
April 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
MSM has worked wonders for me!

Leisje
April 2nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'm kind of curious... will have to keep an eye on this thread.

I've been taking 1,000mcg biotin daily for almost 3 months now and haven't seen much benefit. Shedding like mad still, not much breakout though. But certainly nothing worthwhile to keep purchasing, unless you need longer time than this to see the benefits?

redneckprincess
April 2nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
first off...LOVE your avatar photo!!!
second...some people try and have success with MSM...and some add Gluecosemene (spelled wrong)
good luck, sorry you didnt have much luck with the biotin

TigerLily1
April 2nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
Kitty, what is the dose of biotin you have? How many mcg a day?
I had to take 5000 to 6000mcg a day, and it does take at least 8 weeks to see results, if you body is biotin deficient, it needs time to replenish it, for some people it takes about 3 months of high dose before it shows (i.e. shedding stop, and growth)

I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have spots with biotin.

KittyLost
April 4th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I think I was on 3000mcg, but I took it three times a day so I'm not sure if that would make it 9000mcg.

Hmmmm, I shall have to go back to the store and look at the bottle!