PDA

View Full Version : Shining a Bald Head

Themyst
April 2nd, 2010, 03:23 AM
I wasn't even sure where to post this. DH decided to try out the bald look. Looks pretty good on him actually, he's a big fellow and wears a goatee and an earring. But, he's wondering ... how does he get that shine on his head? It looks pretty dull now. Is it some sort of wax? Is it just oil? He did try that with my Africa's Best oil but it didn't really make him shine.

I tried googling this but all sorts of weird websites came up and so I told him I'd ask my hair peeps. :)

countryhopper
April 2nd, 2010, 03:28 AM
I was going to say oil, too...

Maybe Vasaline? Or how about a shine serum or gloss?

ETA: Just wanted to say that when I say the title for this thread, I had a mental image of shining a head as you would a shoe... with a cloth and polish!

Hey... maybe that would work! JK! :D

Calista
April 2nd, 2010, 03:42 AM
My hubby has a shaved head, too; but honestly, I have no idea. I prefer the dull look. :shrug: Maybe the stubble prevents the shine? He could try to epilate. (Just kidding, just kidding! :tmi:)

Clarisse
April 2nd, 2010, 03:46 AM
I always thought it was a combination of an ultra-close shave and natural sebum... But perhaps vaseline would help?

Tyann
April 2nd, 2010, 07:29 AM
I googled "How do you make a bald head shiny?" and came up with this Ehow page:

How to Make a Bald Head Shine After Shaving (http://www.ehow.com/how_2214916_make-bald-head-shine-after.html)

Aevra
April 2nd, 2010, 08:20 AM
Shiney bald heads make me giggle...I've always thought it was sweat O.o

Calista
April 2nd, 2010, 08:22 AM
Tyann, that is so cool! Trust Google to come up with something for any question known to mankind. :D

bumblebums
April 2nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
I know a few men who wear the bald head look, and they come in two varieties: ones who shave even though they have hair, and ones that have waved their hair bye-bye because it's going away anyway. The ones with male pattern baldness have the shiniest heads. So I think that's how you get one. Not much help, I know. :)

Themyst
April 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks everyone. He still has a full head of hair but shaved it anyway, so maybe that's why his scalp is not shiny. We were watching a movie the other night and strangely, bald guy after bald guy appeared on it (probably just noticing it more now), they were all pretty young but all shone.

Thanks, Tyann for that ehow page, maybe we'll try the aloe vera gel. And, I hadn't even thought about sunburn. I'm sure that will prove to be a whole new chapter in his little experiment.

Epilate? Hah - that is funny. He acts like I'm performing surgery when I tweeze a few of his wayward eyebrows. :p

marikamt
April 2nd, 2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone. He still has a full head of hair but shaved it anyway, so maybe that's why his scalp is not shiny. We were watching a movie the other night and strangely, bald guy after bald guy appeared on it (probably just noticing it more now), they were all pretty young but all shone.

Thanks, Tyann for that ehow page, maybe we'll try the aloe vera gel. And, I hadn't even thought about sunburn. I'm sure that will prove to be a whole new chapter in his little experiment.

Epilate? Hah - that is funny. He acts like I'm performing surgery when I tweeze a few of his wayward eyebrows. :p

At least he lets you tweeze........ my DH will have a unibrow going, and not let me touch it, he acts like it is torture. Sheesh, and they think we are the delicate sex......

I was going to suggest waxing, because I do think it is stubble that makes it lack shine, but my concern w/ wax (or epilator) would be it may not grow back.......

Themyst
April 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
At least he lets you tweeze........ my DH will have a unibrow going, and not let me touch it, he acts like it is torture. Sheesh, and they think we are the delicate sex......

I was going to suggest waxing, because I do think it is stubble that makes it lack shine, but my concern w/ wax (or epilator) would be it may not grow back.......

Heh, yea, he definitely would not go with the waxing thing. :p He's not a very oily person, but on the other hand he doesn't have dry skin, either. I think now it is probably a combination of getting the closest shave possible and the proper lotion.

bumblebums
April 2nd, 2010, 10:39 AM

That's probably because of movie set lighting. Shine a bright enough light on anyone's skin, and it will shine--unless it's heavily made-up.

Sunburn is a big one. My baldie friends tell me few things are less pleasant than a sunburn at the top of one's noggin.

Purdy Bear
April 2nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Mine is naturally shiney, as I dont have any hair, but I know Montel said on one of his shows he uses a head wax to make his shine.

Themyst
April 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
Mine is naturally shiney, as I dont have any hair, but I know Montel said on one of his shows he uses a head wax to make his shine.

Head wax ... I was wondering about that. Off to google ...

Kaijah
April 2nd, 2010, 10:54 AM
I have a friend who likes to keep his head shaved, he's another electric white palekin :D but has black hair so stubble shows quiiiickly. He said a close shave, some 'dome wax' (you can usually fin it in the 'ethnic hair care' sections at Target/Wallyworld/Wags in little metal tins or plastic tubs) and SUNSCREEN! Lol. Definitely sunscreen if he's at all prone to burning - some of the thicker ones would probably add shine, too.

Angela_Rose
April 2nd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Murphy's Oil Soap? It's how I make my wood floors shine...

Gypsy
April 2nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
There are scalp conditioners for bald heads.
There are also matte products for people who have oily scalps and don't want the shiny look.
They are easily found in larger bss and in the "black" hair care section in drug stores.

sweetestday
April 2nd, 2010, 12:30 PM
My husband is naturally balding, and for the past few years has me shave him down with an electric razor... no guard. His head is shiny, even though he shampoos nightly. (Don't ask me why????) I think he uses as much shampoo for his bald head as I do for my TB length hair!

GeoJ
April 2nd, 2010, 12:37 PM
My husband's naturally bald head is quite shiny. I think it just because there are no stubbles to scatter the light, and he still produces sebum, but has no hair so it just makes him extra glossy.

Leisje
April 2nd, 2010, 01:39 PM
My boyfriend shaves his head, and uses an aftershave lotion which gives it a pretty nice shine. He's using nivea aftershave balm for sensitive skin.

talervo
April 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM
This is a bit off topic, but my baldy DH was talking to an older baldy. The older baldy said he used preparation H to get rid of wrinkles. That's pretty funny to think about.
My DH is balding, so he has a shiny head the day he shaves. He also produces a lot of oil, so it's dangerous to touch his head at the end of the day.

MandyBeth
April 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
HeadBlade. All the guys I know who shave their head worship that product and line.

Keildra
April 4th, 2010, 08:21 PM
When I was in high school one of our teachers used turtle wax, and he looked like a turtle but I think that was just a coincidence

Natalia
April 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Hmm well you have lots of tips already but i thought id mention that applying a blended oil (some heavy like olive some light like grapeseed) when his head is still wet from the shower helps, more effective than oil on dry skin. Hope you find something that works :)

I know a few men who wear the bald head look, and they come in two varieties: ones who shave even though they have hair, and ones that have waved their hair bye-bye because it's going away anyway.

Hehehe one of my favorites profs was in the "well if its going anyway i'll give it the heave ho"club and he looked really good that way :D!

Heavenly Locks
April 4th, 2010, 09:12 PM
head-dazzle?!

(like the vajazzle thread :p )

SimplyViki
April 4th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Hmm. What'd he shave it with? A bald friend of mine shaves his head every single day with an electric shaver, and it's pretty shiny.

:hmm: Maybe try putting Nivea on his scalp? That stuff's pretty shiny, especially if you put a good amount of it on.