PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe to put in my hair?

violeteyes
April 1st, 2010, 11:29 PM
So, I picked up some 99% aloe vera gel. Its ingredients are....water, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, butylene glycol, calendula officinalis flower extract, arnica montana flower extract, tocophersolan, tea-carbomer, methylparaben, diazolidinyl urea, dmdm hydantoin, trisodium, edta. I just needed to know if it was hair-safe, and the first people I thought to ask was the long hair community! Haha

Vermelha
April 1st, 2010, 11:56 PM
Sounds like the one from Trader Joe's. I use it on my hair and skin. It's a fine moisturizer for my hair. It also works as a light hair gel.

Rhiannon7
April 2nd, 2010, 12:37 AM
It seems to be safe, try it once, let air dry and document the feel of your hair before use and after. sometimes hair does not like Aloe Vera Gel alone, you'd have to see how your hair responds. i use it in my shea butter, almond oil and aloe vera gel mix for use on body, face and hair. it helps also with sunburns and as said before can be used as a light hair gel to keep fly aways under control. and aloe vera gel can be used in an SMT. if your hair does not like it try mixing it, if it still does not like, you can always use after shaving, if you get sunburned and for small insect bites. plus you can use it mixed for moisturizing skin and face.

But i'm no expert, the above is how i use my aloe vera gel, but you are going to get more experienced users giving better advice.

naereid
April 2nd, 2010, 02:06 AM
I just recently discovered aloe vera gel and I'M LOVING IT. :grnbiggri I use it every day the way some people use oil. My hair gets stringy from oil, but nice and soft from aloe. Hope you get good results!

And don't worry about it not having only one ingredient as I did at first; there ARE no aloe vera gels with only one ingredient because they would spoil really fast.

Vermelha
April 2nd, 2010, 05:51 AM
^^With that said, you can also buy an Aloe Vera plant. They're inexpensive. The only thing is that it's hard to get enough gel out of one branch/leaf (at least for me). If you only need a dab every now and then, I would get the plant itself. My mom keeps an Aloe Vera plant and she said she kept it because we would get hurt as kids all the time.

violeteyes
April 2nd, 2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks everybody : D. I just washed my hair and I'm going to put a little dime sized amount in the length and see how it goes. My hair is really fine, wavy, and frizzy, so I'm hoping the gel might give it a bit of texture.

Xandrra
April 2nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
I've just started experimenting with Aloe Vera Gel too! :) Its also 99% though I think the ingredients are different, mine doesn't have the oils for example.
I tried it only once so far so I'm not sure if this was due to the Aloe Vera or the new shampoo, but my fine hair felt a good bit thicker after the shower! although the feeling lasted only about a day.
Good luck with experimenting :)