PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Hair Not Care About Products?

eternallyverdan
April 1st, 2010, 08:56 PM
After quite a while here on LHC, I've decided that my hair really stays the same regardless of what products I use on it. I can use SLS, I don't have to condition, and my hair just ignores all of the methods that I've tried for curling it. Henna makes it a little more tangle for about a week, but I thinks that's because there are still grains of henna up there. My current routine is Suave daily clarifying shampoo and Herbal Essences conditioner, but I've also successfully used coney shampoos and whipped soaps.

Can anyone else use whatever products they like with impunity?

missjessiecakes
April 1st, 2010, 09:11 PM
Checking in. :)

I've bleached with no change in texture or splits. I can use anything to wash and condition or not condition. I dont have to condition really except to detangle it makes that easier.

Dont you love hair that just dont care?

pinchbeck
April 1st, 2010, 09:41 PM
No matter which products I use even when my hair is preoiled, my hair is always dry afterward. My hair doesn't change no matter which conditioner I use, but I will add that my scalp has preferences and can get irritated easily if I choose the wrong products. Even all natural products can be bothersome because not everyone responds well to a bunch of different eo's and plant extracts in their shampoo.

I was thinking about that today, actually! I was wondering what the heck I can do about my dry hair problem since oiling doesn't seem to help soften it nor do any of the all natural conditioners. However, thoughts are now going through my mind about maybe trying higher end products (that unfortunately contain synthetic fragrance which you cannot be avoided in most cases).

I would be elated to find a product that made my hair feel like silk and made my hair easier to manage!

GlassEyes
April 1st, 2010, 10:25 PM
I am not one of you. xD; Oh, how I wish I were.

The closest I come to this is that I can go cone or no cone, and as long as I'm using SOME form of conditioner, my hair is -usually- fine, save for some protein finickiness at times, but that's the -closest- I come. Darnit.

Vermelha
April 1st, 2010, 11:58 PM
My hair only likes oil, so I can get away with no other products. I can just water wash and oil my hair and go. Whenever I use products, my hair acts all funky and disobedient. A little oil and water and my hair is tamed for a while.

kitmarlow
April 2nd, 2010, 12:04 AM
me! my hair texture changes from product to product (or lack of), but I think it's impossible to do major damage to my hair with improper shampoo or conditioner. I've never had split ends, either.

on the other hand, ONE bleach application killed my whole head. ended up shaved bald.

-j-
April 2nd, 2010, 01:35 AM
I've never had split ends, either.

Lucky you!! Can that even be possible?? :)

Pinchbeck, maybe you do this already, but I have to ask if you eat enough oils and fats? When the hair and/ or skin is very dry, you can sometimes moisturize it from inside. Butter, avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. can make a difference. (Plus of course, drinking enough water)
p.s. your hair is gorgeous!!

I think my hair benefits from good products, but I donīt need many of them: a good silicon-free natural shampoo, a good natural conditioner and a leave-in. And some oils to the ends. Thatīs it.

eternallyverdan
April 2nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
No matter which products I use even when my hair is preoiled, my hair is always dry afterward. My hair doesn't change no matter which conditioner I use, but I will add that my scalp has preferences and can get irritated easily if I choose the wrong products. Even all natural products can be bothersome because not everyone responds well to a bunch of different eo's and plant extracts in their shampoo.

I was thinking about that today, actually! I was wondering what the heck I can do about my dry hair problem since oiling doesn't seem to help soften it nor do any of the all natural conditioners. However, thoughts are now going through my mind about maybe trying higher end products (that unfortunately contain synthetic fragrance which you cannot be avoided in most cases).

I would be elated to find a product that made my hair feel like silk and made my hair easier to manage!

If you don't mind my asking, do you react badly to mainstream ingredients, or do you just not like using them?

on the other hand, ONE bleach application killed my whole head. ended up shaved bald.

That's terrible! I've never tried chemical color, and I'm kind of afraid of trying it given some of the horror stories I've heard, particularly now that I'm using henna.

DMARTINEZ
April 2nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
Sort of .....I can use cones,no cones,sulfates,oils.
But no sulfate like the c-olefin sulphonate is hell on my hair. And not using conditioner...Ive never tried. Im scared of that! ;)

NuclearMosquito
April 2nd, 2010, 09:22 PM
My hair seems to like whatever it is given. I use a good mix of cones and no cones, sulfates and no sulfates. The only thing I can't do is a steady diet of CO. The occasional CO wash is fine, but my scalp needs some shampoo eventually. And I have to say, the thought of no conditioner after shampooing my hair makes me cringe!

Katurday
April 2nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
My hair is not too picky on oil types (as long as I use different amounts for each oil), doesn't care too much about cone or no cone, never showed trouble with SLS vs. non-SLS shampoo, and doesn't seem too different after henna (maybe a bit shinier). I just chose cone free and SLS free because its a way of making sure that I cause the least amount of damage I can. Cones have a way of hiding things in my hair, and I'm one of those people who'd rather hack off damage than sneak it away.

My hair does care about routine. CO vs. CW vs CWC make huge differences. Using only oil, or oil and conditioner makes differences. All methods have clean hair, but CWC and CO make my hair very glossy and tame - not my idea of good looking. I prefer hair thats a bit wilder with a bit more volume, and CW does that for me. Same with going conditioner free. *shrugs*