PDA

View Full Version : Split resistant hair?

StormVixen
April 1st, 2010, 03:31 PM
I've been trying to S&D since joining LHC but I'm having huge problems because I can't actually find any splits! I was sure i had damage, but looking closely the only "damage" I can find is single strand Faerie knots...

I know its not really bad that I can't find splits, unless I'm not looking hard enough!

Does anyone else have this "problem"?

SV xXx

emmabovary
April 1st, 2010, 03:36 PM
I thought I was the only one :)

I didn't use to understand what people were talking about when they said "split ends". I remember in high school, I told a girl in my class I hadn't cut my hair in one year and she asked if I didn't get splits. I said no (without being sure), she then proceeded to investigate my hair and had to agree with me. It's weird... not that I'm complaining :D

Chamy
April 1st, 2010, 03:39 PM
I have the same "problem". But my alternative damage is not fairy knots, its a little taper on the ends of some of the hairs. I have searched so darn hard to find anything, and after a long time i have come to terms with the fact that my hair dont get split ends.

ambism
April 1st, 2010, 03:39 PM
I don't have any split ends either (YET) and I haven't trimmed my hair in over a year. I'll probably flip a sh*t if I find one later on. :shudder:

BlndeInDisguise
April 1st, 2010, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately no, I don't have this problem, but lucky you! I'd be glad to never have to S&D ever again. ;)

Finoriel
April 1st, 2010, 03:45 PM
At your length I did not have that problem either,
:wink: but IŽm willed to bet that sooner or later youŽll eventually find one or two or three of them.

Some inches later down the road I still do not need to do S&D sessions though. It would not be worth the hassle for the few splits I have imo :shrug:. Never seem to have scissors handy when I find one and when I have scissors I canŽt find any splits. So I gave up on looking for them and just trim to improve taper.

Laylah
April 1st, 2010, 03:45 PM
Me too...although after a while, even though my ends don't split they start to feel "squeaky" and no amount of conditioner or oil with make them soft again, so there's really no way for me to escape trims.

joiekimochi
April 1st, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hahahaha same I get tons of faerie knots but no split ends. When I had extensions, I was sooo excited to find split ends on the extension hair that I would spend long enjoyable hours doing S&D on hair that's not mine.

Juliannaissance
April 1st, 2010, 04:24 PM
Maybe you can try a better lighting, like outdoors. Also, I remember somebody saying that S&D while having wet hair is better because it plumps the hair, therefore making it easier to see. :)

Cleopatra18
April 1st, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hahahaha same I get tons of faerie knots but no split ends. When I had extensions, I was sooo excited to find split ends on the extension hair that I would spend long enjoyable hours doing S&D on hair that's not mine.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

teela1978
April 1st, 2010, 04:41 PM
I never really noticed any splits till my hair was around waist length. I still don't have that many (I'm not much past waist length yet though :)). If I start looking I can usually find 1 or 2 in my braid tassle... but I don't ever do the D part of S&D so I think its the same 2 splits.

Bethie
April 1st, 2010, 04:50 PM
Nope, can't say that I have that particular problem. But grats on the few if any split ends

Ma'am
April 1st, 2010, 04:54 PM
Well, I have just learned what the little mysterious knots I find are called! :p

I wanted to ask about them, but figured it was some freak thing, and I was the only one.

Peter
April 1st, 2010, 04:58 PM
I have very few split ends so I never S&D. I just trim whenever the ends are starting to tangle a lot. :)

BunnyBee
April 1st, 2010, 05:15 PM
I have to look really hard to find a 'true'split, but my damage is usually in the form of right angle bent hairs :hmm:

ericthegreat
April 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM
It also depends on what you personally define as a split end. Some people may define split ends as strictly an actual end that is split apart or broken. However, most conventionally trained hairdressers will see any kind of thinning, pointy, or split apart end as a split end. For a hairdresser, the only healthy ends are thick, blunt ends that at least look like they were recently trimmed. And I know this because I'm a young apprenticing hairdresser myself : ).

My hair strands rarely fray at all even if I avoid trimming my ends for months at a time. I very rarely if ever see the classic, typical Y- shaped split end on any of my hair ends. What I do normally get are thinning, pointy fairytale ends. I myself don't consider those to be split ends, just normal taper. However, I myself have been told by many of my fellow hairdressers(most of them much older than I am and have been in the business for 20 years) that I do indeed have split ends and that I should get a trim. It really is a matter of personal opinion :).

Beets
April 1st, 2010, 05:32 PM
I have a few, but not nearly as many as I'd expect given the abuse my hair takes and the time between my trims. I gave up on S&D. Funny, though; as a teenager, my hair was full of them, and I got it cut regularly...

Kristin
April 1st, 2010, 07:38 PM
My hair doesn't really split, either. It split LIKE CRAZY when I was in junior high, but I, um...had permed my hair several times and washed every day and brushed it wet. And I didn't start detangling at the bottom. So I guess I deserved those splits.

These days I try to S&D, but never find anything. I do snip off dry spots because they annoy me, so maybe I'm getting them before they actually split. :D

sweet*things
April 1st, 2010, 07:45 PM
My daughter's hair doesn't get splits. She does get dry, velcroey ends, but I've searched for splits and they aren't there. She's about 30" too, so I assume if her hair was going to split, it would have by now. My hair hair always has a few splits.:rolleyes:

Pierre
April 1st, 2010, 09:10 PM
I used to have splits, which I think came from sleeping with my hair loose, but since I use a Buff I hardly get any. I'm sure the henna helps make my hair split-resistant. I do get ends tangling together and knots, and I cut both of those off.

lillylonghair
April 1st, 2010, 09:36 PM
I do get knots but no splits at all. Even when I bleached the daylights out of my hair still no splits. I think this is great "problem" to have.

nycstar
April 1st, 2010, 09:46 PM
I've been trying to S&D since joining LHC but I'm having huge problems because I can't actually find any splits! I was sure i had damage, but looking closely the only "damage" I can find is single strand Faerie knots...

I know its not really bad that I can't find splits, unless I'm not looking hard enough!

Does anyone else have this "problem"?

SV xXx

Hi Storm... thankfully my hair doesn't split all that much. It used to split much more when I used to dye my hair years back. Since I let my hair go natural (I'm a brunette)... I am pleased with the results that no little branches are sprouting from my hair.

Rhiannon7
April 2nd, 2010, 12:51 AM
I'm glad i'm not the only one to not find split ends, i get tons of faery knots, have never been able to do S&D, tried but never knew how and i also get eye pain when i try S&D so i just trim every 6 months or when urgent to keep hemline straight.

Happy growing.

Marjolein
April 2nd, 2010, 03:54 AM
Can someone tell me what faery knots are? My hair doesn't really split that much either, but I do get hooks and white dots.

Melisande
April 2nd, 2010, 03:58 AM
I have neither split ends nor fairy knots. Sometimes, I read here in discussions "everybody has split ends", but no, I don't. I never saw one since I was 16 and seriously mistreated my hair - and that was 31 years ago, hrrrr-hm. My hair is tail bone length and split free. It became a bit more difficult to detangle since I hit hip length but nothing serious - a horn comb and tangle teezer take care of it.

My ends are a bit rough, due to the chemical dye they suffered (I stopped 3 years ago). I do have frizzy new short ends sticking out. But no split ends. It may be my good nutrition, the coconut oil, the wearing up all the time, I really don't know.

countryhopper
April 2nd, 2010, 04:02 AM
I have the same "problem". But my alternative damage is not fairy knots, its a little taper on the ends of some of the hairs. I have searched so darn hard to find anything, and after a long time i have come to terms with the fact that my hair dont get split ends.

From what I've read on here, tapers=new baby hairs, not damage!!:D

my hair doesn't seem to split, either! And I haven't used cones 5 months, so no cones are "glueing" the splits together.

I "do" have some breakage that I'm trying to correct, though...

cellardoor
April 2nd, 2010, 02:38 PM
I am insanely jealous of everyone who doesn't get splits. My hair must be split prone because I'm very gentle and loving with my hair and I haven't touched a flat iron or any other heat tool for that matter in over a year! Yet I still can find tons of splits everytime I look. I'm beginning to think my hair is just fragile....can you get splits from wearing hair down while its windy out??

BattahZ
April 2nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
I only get split ends when I regularly heat-style my hair (or from overdoing chemical processes). I assume if you moisturize a lot and don't heat-style your hair, you'll get a lot less split ends. The straightening iron was bad news for my ends!

rachelily
April 2nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
I used to think I didn't have any then I saw my ends draped over my shoulder when wearing a black coat and was horrified. Try checking your ends over a black background.

But JEALOUS if you don't have any ends! I'd kill for hair that healthy :)

StormVixen
April 5th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Woah! i didnt expect to see so many people who cant find any splits!

Faery/Faerie/Fairy knots = single strand knots (I think they are commonest on curly hair because it twists around its self)

I found one split the other day and it was snipped out along with a massive nape knot that was so tight there was no way i could untangle it :(

Im in the mood to invent a new recipie tonight...

SV xXx

JenniferNoel
April 5th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I don't get splits often at all. Even when my hair was tailbone. I only get them in the front every once in a blue moon. Always been that way. Even when it was bleached.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 5th, 2010, 01:22 PM

I wasn't too excited; i was kinda freaked out to see that ALL the strands ended up splitting!! :D

Yes yes i never have splits/knots/dots/anything. At least not till waist (i don't know what happens afterwards, as thats the longest my hair's ever been)

Flaxen
April 5th, 2010, 10:35 PM
....can you get splits from wearing hair down while its windy out??
Just once, probably not, but ever seen the edges of a flag that's been blowing in the wind for a long time? ;)

Non-splitter here, too. Even when I was most harsh on my hair, I never had many splits. Breakage, yes, lots of it, but very few splits.

simplysnuggle
April 5th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I'm split free as well.. :D :happydance: