PDA

View Full Version : What products/methods do you use to tame hair/frizz etc?

Verybadhairday
April 1st, 2010, 03:15 PM
What methods/products do people with wild hair (not in a bad way) use to tame down the frizz/volume?
I already CO wash and this has helped a lot, but there is still dry and frizzy hair all the time and my natural hair is unwearable in public, I think damage I may have caused to it doesnt help (I think underneath all the damage, my hair is supposed to be ringlety/curly)

Laylah
April 1st, 2010, 04:06 PM
When my hair is drying, the put it into a half up, and the weight of it keeps my hair from frizzing at the top. Well, I used to do that. Now my hair doesn't frizz anyway (thanks LHC!) Oil and shea butter also help with frizz, but in the end the only thing you can really do to actually get rid of the frizzy (damaged) hairs is to grow them out. The above methods only weigh down the frizz and keep them at bay.

btw, if you have naturally curly hair as you say, the "frizz" could really just be brushed out curls. I don't have curls myself but I know brushing them will make them poof out, so stick to combing, and only when the hair is wet. But you may get better advice from someone that actually has curly hair!

StephanieB
April 1st, 2010, 06:36 PM
What methods/products do people with wild hair (not in a bad way) use to tame down the frizz/volume?
I already CO wash and this has helped a lot, but there is still dry and frizzy hair all the time and my natural hair is unwearable in public, I think damage I may have caused to it doesnt help (I think underneath all the damage, my hair is supposed to be ringlety/curly)

Hi. Welcome to LHC, Vbhd.

It's hard to offer help suggestions without knowing what kind of hair you have, Vbhd, and what kind(s) of damage you think you might have.

Is your hair thick or thin, or middle-of-the-road?
How long is it (either dry or wet)?
What did it look like before you incurred damage? (length, thickness, ringlets or waves or whatever)
What products do you use? CO is a method, but what product(s)? And do you use anything else on it besides what conditioner(s) you use?
It's frizzy - but is it soft? Or crunchy and brittle? How about split ends?
What have you been doing to your hair (chemical process/es, how you dry it, how you style it, etc)

The answers to these questions will help us try to help you. :)

If you look at my signature pic (below), you'll see that I have long ringlet curls. Does your hair resemble mine, in that way - long spiral curls?

Dars
April 1st, 2010, 06:44 PM
I noticed major improvement in cutting down frizz by quitting towels. If your hair is dry you might want to try a moisture treatment.

Verybadhairday
April 6th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Hi. Welcome to LHC, Vbhd.

It's hard to offer help suggestions without knowing what kind of hair you have, Vbhd, and what kind(s) of damage you think you might have.

Is your hair thick or thin, or middle-of-the-road?
How long is it (either dry or wet)?
What did it look like before you incurred damage? (length, thickness, ringlets or waves or whatever)
What products do you use? CO is a method, but what product(s)? And do you use anything else on it besides what conditioner(s) you use?
It's frizzy - but is it soft? Or crunchy and brittle? How about split ends?
What have you been doing to your hair (chemical process/es, how you dry it, how you style it, etc)

The answers to these questions will help us try to help you. :)

If you look at my signature pic (below), you'll see that I have long ringlet curls. Does your hair resemble mine, in that way - long spiral curls?

Hi
To answer the questions:
my hair is very, very thick (my hairdresser describes it as 'the hair of atleast 3 people'
I think it is almost coming up to waist, it's hard to tell because its a mess :o
Well, I am a teenager and can't remember anything but this (frizz, frizz and more frizz)
I am currently using
ELVIVE Anti-Frizz, Smooth Intense Shampoo and Conditioner
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eGyX98wmi7o/Sl7i2MZozgI/AAAAAAAAAQo/dewZdq_-Nkw/s320/Elvive+Anti-Frizz.jpg
Then when it is drying I put some tresemme heat guard spray on it
The frizz isn't that soft, it feels damaged and a little crunchy/brittle
I straighten my hair once a week, never ever blow dry it and i've had it highlighted 3 times
Nope, my curls aren't that structured and some of my hair is straightish, and the rest is frizz I guess..
I'm going to try some coconut oil next week I think

Thanks

Merewen
April 6th, 2010, 11:23 AM
My frizz was reduced dramatically when I basically started embracing my curls. I don't brush at all anymore (especially wet) and I've been drying by plopping my hair in a t-shirt. I'm not frizz-free, but I'm no where near frizzmonster status anymore either.

BattahZ
April 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Sounds like you need a lot of moisture, and maybe a trim if you've got a lot of crunch near the ends. Try doing weekly deep conditioning treatments with some heat. And I assume if you straighten your hair but don't use a blow-dryer, you're flat-ironing it? That will also contribute to frizz in the long term, as your hair gets more dry and damaged. And as it gets damaged and breaks, all those little broken ends throughout your hair will stick out and give you more frizz if you have any natural curl going on.

Besides weekly deep treatments, make sure you wet it and condition the ends often. And don't rinse out all of your conditioner - leave some on your ends.

Oiling also helps a lot. If you're wearing your hair curly, try applying oil to the ends when it's still wet, or smoothing a few drops over your canopy and ends when it's dry to tame frizzies.

spidermom
April 6th, 2010, 11:41 AM
To my complete surprise, Punky hair dye completely layed my surface frizz to rest. In the past, I've used styling wax, pomade, or putty. I liked Natures Gate Styling Putty the best. It worked well and was easy to comb through. Similar products were a lot like glue.

chelles2kids
April 6th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I don't have any true curls but waves galore.

I've found for me the best & simplest routine:

CO every other day but scalp wash at least once a week to cut down on "build-up".

Wide tooth comb only when wet, but once dry, finger comb.

After either co'ing or washing, wet bun it loosely and yes, this even works if I have to clean it right before going to bed.
I just use a big satin scrunchie and very loosely bun it atop my head before crawling into bed.

But even with this routine, my amount of frizz relies alot on the weather and time of year it is.
Also, another trick that I've found that really seems to help is to take a very small dollop of conditioner in the palms of my hands, rub them together and then wipe them down the length (only) of my hair, it will almost completely keep the frizz at bay. (Almost like a leave-in type conditioner but I just don't dilute it down with water)

x0h_bother
April 6th, 2010, 03:23 PM
you need a leave-in. experiment and figure out if you need a cream or a serum. ps. there is a whole forum for natural curly hair. the people there swear by co-washing curly hair.

XcaliburGirl
April 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I seem to have frizz that's NOT dry and/or damaged.

I have mostly medium texture wavy hair, but I have a sprinkling of coarse, very curly hairs throughout. So the coarse curlies don't really flow with the rest of the hair and they tend to stick out individually. It is especially noticeable at the top of my head since I don't have any wave there.

CO washing, leave-in, plopping etc. don't seem to help. The only thing that I've found that works is to letting it dry in a tight ponytail or bun so it smooths all the hairs together. Then I get a weird wave pattern though. :(

Belisarius
April 8th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Moisture treatments, smt for me, and oiling helps.

jenjen10
April 8th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I have the same issue as Xcalibur girl... I have some very course, curly hairs that stick out at the top of my head (especially when it is humid out!) and they aren't damaged or dry. Any ideas on what will work for this?? It is very frustrating.

Belisarius
April 9th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I have the same issue as Xcalibur girl... I have some very course, curly hairs that stick out at the top of my head (especially when it is humid out!) and they aren't damaged or dry. Any ideas on what will work for this?? It is very frustrating.
Oiling might help? Try Olive oil.

MerryKat
April 9th, 2010, 05:46 AM
NW (No Washing or Sebum Only) is the only thing that tames my frizz and fuzz. I find that once I am past the odd transistions (WO is good for this) my hair is controlled and happy while looking sleek and smooth and the waves show nicely.

canary4624
April 9th, 2010, 06:29 AM

Try letting it dry with a scarf or something similar tied snugly on your head. I always do this and the hair on top of my head becomes so smooth and shiney. If only I could do this to the lengths as well! But at least the hair next to my face is frizz-free, which helps enormously.

Athena's Owl
April 9th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I really can't say. it could be due to damage, since you're using heat on your hair once a week. It could be that you're using products that aren't compatible with your hair's porosity, or with the dew point in your area. it could be that you're messing with it whenyou're not supposed to be messing with it. it could be that you're using the wrong material to dry your hair with. It could be a lot of things.

you say that your hair might be curly - do you *want* it to be curly? or do you want it to be straight? if you want it to be curly, then you should probably look up live curly, live free and drop ten bucks on the e-book. if you want it to be straight... well I don't have a lot of advice for you, because that's not the way i chose.

elina333
April 9th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Coconut oil. Heavy oiling the night before I wash and then use it as a leave in. I swear by it! Best thing I have EVER used. And trust me, I have used almost everything! ;)

XcaliburGirl
April 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I haven't tried oil yet, though I did do a honey and olive oil deep treatment. It seems like a lot of people here like coconut oil.

The scarf idea sounds like it's worth a try, thanks canary4624!

tokidokichi
April 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Living Proof. It's uh-mazing. Blocks humidity 100% with no sulfates and no cones. They invented a new molecule called polyeminoester, it coats each strand of hair keeping it hydrated and blocking humidity. It also blocks dirt so you don't have to shampoo as frequently. I'm not affiliated, I just really believe in this product, I use it in the salon. Check it out for yourself at livingproof.com!!

x0h_bother
April 9th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I also naturally have a lot of hair that has a lot of volume. If your hair likes cones, I suggest a leave-in. My leave in: avon dry ends serum, applied when curly. I air dry and put this in when hair is completely dried (and frizzy.) I don't use too much, 1/2 a pump, and it's enough to tame it. It forms the curls that are attempting to be curls but look like frizz initially. And what also helped me is trial and error switching conditioners (in siggy.) GL!

lapushka
April 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I CWC, which is a good moisturizing method if your hair tends to frizz. I can't CO (oily hair); it won't get my hair clean.

Besides that I used to use Jessicurl styling products which were great, but I recently switched to a light styling cream with cones (got2be anti-frizz cream) and it gave me lots of volume but not the poofy effect that usually comes along with volume.

I guess it's alcoholfree gels and styling creams for me. Styling creams can be substituted for leave-ins or just don't rinse out the last C too much, or not at all.

Graceread
May 20th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Lapushka, do you still purchase got2be anti-frizz cream? I can only find the serum.

Ondine11
May 20th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Welcome, VBHD. I'm new here, too. FRIZZ, you say? I could write a novel about frizz!!! Since my individual hairs are also very fine, they can go from frizzy, to a weighted down, greasy-looking mess the day after a shampoo. I've tried virtually every anti-frizz product on the market. The silicone-based ones work initially, then,gradually dry my hair out. The so-called 'Argan oil' products often contain no genuine Argan oil whatsoever! Most were tested to contain much cheaper oils, including mineral oil. Those that DID contain some Argan oil, it was barely a drop of it, suspended in all kinds of other junk. You CAN buy pure, unadulterated, non-diluted argan oil from essential oils suppliers, though.

I've been through every frizz related hair disaster you can name! Now, I have won the battle against my hair's tendency to go AWOL.

1. I give myself a home Keratin treatment every other month, emphasizing the new growth. During the flat ironing process, I do NOT go over every fine strand 10 times, with 450 degree heat I use only 340 degree heat & pass over each strand 7 times. I wait a full three days before shampooing with sulfate free shampoo. I have NO DAMAGE whatsoever after doing this for over 1 1/2 years.

2. When I shampoo, at night only (you'll see why) I only use a little product, & emphasize my scalp. I deep condition from 2" from the scalp, down & rinse off in cool water.

3. Use a microfiber towel to allow the hair to dry to 70%. I then apply Marc Anthony sulfate free dry Argan oil (anti frizz, won't weigh hair down, heat protectant) to the damp hair. This seals in the moisture, preventing drying out, & coats the strands to prevent heat damage BUT WON'T suck in heat & literally fry your hair like regular oils do when heated.

4. I blow-dry using the lowest heat setting. My APL hair is dry in 5 mins. I then put it into one loose braid for overnight, & use a satin pillowcase.

5. The next morning, when I let out the braid, the hair shines like a mirror & is super silky with zero frizz. IF I decide to flat iron it to create a straight look, I add a little heat protectant to the last 3-4", take large sections, pass over the hair only once, & use only 300 degree heat.

I have NO SHEDDING from the keratin treatment, no poor hair growth from a poorly cleansed scalp with follicles occluded by conditioners & oils, & no fried ends.

6. Since the ends are older, & rub against moisture-absorbing cotton & wool blend clothing & winter hats, etc. I moisturize the last 2" daily with a little pure coconut oil.

The shampoo , conditioner & deep conditioner I use: Theorie Helichrysum line.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to be thorough. Hope it helps other frizzies out there!

Dark40
May 20th, 2017, 02:25 PM
You need lots of moisture. Like, a deep conditioning treatment once or twice a week. You can buy Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream. That tames away hair/frizzies really well!!! And, also oiling the ends after every wash.

Groovy Granny
May 20th, 2017, 11:06 PM
My fine silver loves JOICO MOISTURE S&C, then on damp ends I apply a pea sized amount of leave in conditioner, followed by a few drops of oil, and then a few drops of Biosilk serum.

SnowDancer
May 23rd, 2017, 03:27 PM
I have pretty wild hair.
Fresh out of the shower I use a spray bottle with a mixture of sea salt, lavender essential oil and water. I spray that on my hair and brush it with a boar bristle brush. Then I just leave it alone to air dry and do it's own thing.

Sallie619
May 23rd, 2017, 05:24 PM
I use Monat haircare products for dizziness !

Sallie619
May 23rd, 2017, 05:25 PM
Frizziness

Sallie619
May 23rd, 2017, 05:26 PM
I use Monat haircare products dizziness !

[QUOTE=Sallie619;3411335]Frizziness

ghanima
May 24th, 2017, 12:00 AM
Like all curlies I have tons of potential frizz and there's ways I address it, with products (leave-ins, gels, creams, serums, and tons of moisturizing) and techniques (no brushing or combing, drying in a turbie twist and/or plopping). But if I didn't have a pattern I think I would mainly use buns and braids. When my hair come out of those, they are pure silk. Problem is that as I have a pattern and it's been disturbed the silk will last no more than half an hour.
Especially buns make for the most awesome loose waves, they give volume and look very stylish imo. Done on straight-ish hair they look amazing.

Also, personally I have befriended frizz to some extent. If you watch runaways of recent years, there are so many frizzy looks. It's a thing!

Arctic
May 24th, 2017, 04:29 AM
I have pretty wild hair.
Fresh out of the shower I use a spray bottle with a mixture of sea salt, lavender essential oil and water. I spray that on my hair and brush it with a boar bristle brush. Then I just leave it alone to air dry and do it's own thing.

I'm sorry to come and offer unsolicited advice, since you didn't ask advice. But I couldn't help but notice that since you have curly hair - and this thread is about taming frizz - I think your routine might be... hmm... not very frizz taming.

Firstly, curly, wurly hair thrives with moisture. And in general (with the current fashion for curls) people usually have found that by not combing or brushing their curls gives them the best results: best curl formation, best clumbing and the least frizz. Now if a time machine would take us to the 80s this would be very different case!

Secondly, basically sea salt is very drying = robs that precious moisture. You do the spray yourself, so it might be pretty strong solution. Plus you brush wet (?) hair and not with any brush but a BBB. I can't see how this routine would lead to less frizz to be honest, or how it would promote healthy, curly hair. I can see this drying your curls and causing lot of damage - both from salt and from friction - over time.

I would save the salt spray for special occasions, switch to a moisturizing routine and use styling methods that add moisture, and stop brushing. Many curlies have noticed they can detangle in the shower (with conditoner) but when they step out of the shower, the less they touch their hair the better. These steps would help your curls to form again and would help them to become much less frizzy.

SnowDancer
May 24th, 2017, 08:01 AM
I've tried many products in the past and this is what works for me. I've tried using a wide tooth comb. It made my hair look terrible. The only time my hair gets brushed and sprayed is right after it gets washed. So once every 3-4 days. And like I said, it's been working for the past year and a half. My hair is feeling the best it ever has.

Arctic
May 24th, 2017, 08:22 AM
You know your hair the best, but your routine is quite unconventional compared to the usual curly hair routines. :flower: I hope it continues to work for you, I'll be very interested to hear occasional updates!

SnowDancer
May 24th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Absolutely!
This is the only thing I've found so far that works for me but I'm sure there are other options I haven't found yet. I know that brushing is damaging so I'm still searching for that perfect middle ground. My hair is too tangly not to do something with it. I also don't want a bunch of chemicals on my head which is why I tried the spray to begin with since it's pretty all natural.

Will post updates as my routine changes.