PDA

View Full Version : The 'I don't stick to one cleansing method" thread

little_cherry
April 1st, 2010, 01:49 PM
So...I was just wondering how many of you do different things for cleansing instead of just the one method?

Personally, I either WO, or use Shikakai or CO depending on how I feel. My hair and scalp are incredibly happy with this...I mean, they never know what's coming up next! ;)

Who's with me?! :D

Ravenne
April 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM
I switch between CWC and CO depending on what my scalp is looking like. It seems to work just fine. :) Yay for inconsistency!!

SummerWarmth
April 1st, 2010, 02:00 PM
Here, too! My scalp and hair seem alright with the surprises.

I'm new at this forum...I'm really new to hair products and accessories. What is Shikakai?

halo_tightens
April 1st, 2010, 02:07 PM
Count me in!

Usually I do hybrid washes, heavy on the conditioner. If for some reason I'm washing my hair the day after it's just been washed, I CO. I throw in a good clarifying here and there to prevent buildup. Occasionally I get the urge to try castile or other soaps again. And now and then, just for something different, I use aritha or shikakai.

There are so many nice hair treats out there-- why be limited to just one? :)

emmabovary
April 1st, 2010, 02:20 PM
Me too! :) CO is supposed to be my standard method, but I'm experimenting so much these days I don't really have a standard method anymore. Shikakai, rhassoul, another kind of rhassoul... Aritha will be my next experiment, but I think I need to do an SMT first; I just re-hennaed and my hair seems to be begging for moisture.

kwaniesiam
April 1st, 2010, 02:23 PM
My hair never likes one particular thing for very long. I switch it up frequently and often use whatever I feel like that has worked in the past, natural or otherwise.

Currently I use CV poo bars, Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm, Sulfate free poo, regis design line shampoo and conditioner, poo has SLS but con is cone-free, Strong Sexy Hair strengthening conditioner, L'Anza Leave-in conditioner, Aloe gel, coconut oil, soapnuts, and white vinegar rinses.

Speckla
April 1st, 2010, 02:28 PM
I do what my hair needs at the time.

lexiflowers
April 1st, 2010, 02:29 PM
I have two different shampoos (one sulphate shampoo for clarifying, and one sulphate-free for every other time), two different conditioners (one coney, and one cone-free).

I clarify whenever my hair starts feeling like it needs it, and whether I cone or not depends on how my hair feels, what the weather's like, how I'm planning on wearing it that day, etc. The last fortnight or so I've been using my coney conditioner daily from the nape of the neck down, and my cone-free conditioner from the nape of the neck up. :p

Roughly weekly (again more or less often depending on what my hair tells me it wants) I use a high protein conditioning mask in place of either of my usual conditioners.

I think mixing it up and being intuitive about it is the best thing ever for my hair. It's healthier and happier than it's ever been on any more rigid routine. :)

NuclearMosquito
April 1st, 2010, 02:37 PM
I love experimenting! I am a product junkie, too. Some days it's a CO with VO5, some days it's a regular wash with diluted shampoo, others it's using a solid shampoo bar and solid conditioner. I've not experimented with herbs or other washing methods (yet). But yeah, I definitely vary things every wash.

lindenblossom
April 1st, 2010, 02:39 PM
It's nice trying different things, and I like scavenging too.

Sometimes someone will give me something that didn't work for them, or I'll find a bottle of shampoo in someone's trash that still has a few centimeters left at the bottom. Thrift stores often sell full or partially full bottles of shampoo/conditioner, and at this point I can use any kind of soap to wash my hair if I have to. It's nice to recycle and use up stuff that would ordinarily go to waste. My hair's pretty happy with anything.

serious
April 1st, 2010, 02:45 PM
Count me in!

My current routine is: no routine!
( CO wash, castile soap, diluted SLS shampoo, flaxseed wash, soapwort...)

little_cherry
April 1st, 2010, 02:47 PM
Inconsistency rules my life! :D

Oh..I forgot to mention...sometimes I dissolve some of HennaSooq's cocoveda shampoo bar and use that as well...when I feel like it...especially when I wash henna out.

Here, too! My scalp and hair seem alright with the surprises.

I'm new at this forum...I'm really new to hair products and accessories. What is Shikakai?
Hi and welcome! :)
This shall explain what shikakai is!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikakai

SummerWarmth
April 1st, 2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks, little cherry for the link (and for the welcome!). :)

Wiki said Shikakai combats dandruff...DH seems to have never-healing dandruff. Has anyone used Shikakai for dandruff and has it worked?

Thanks!

Cleopatra18
April 1st, 2010, 04:47 PM
I do what my hair needs at the time.
what she said :)

nowxisxforever
April 1st, 2010, 04:49 PM
Meeee.

I switch around a lot.

bumblebums
April 1st, 2010, 04:56 PM
I'm in! I mix up my own recipes with shikakai and amla and other herbs, and I never use the same wash method two times in a row. Even back when I was using products, I learned that my hair liked change. Now that I've discovered the wild world of herbal haircare, I also get to indulge my experimental side!

whiteisle
April 1st, 2010, 06:10 PM
Here, here! :toast:

I can't manage to pick a lane and stick in it ~ I basically do whatever strikes my fancy that day or whatever my hair seems to be asking for. My bathroom cabinet is starting to bulge a bit but luckily DH doesn't go in there for anything. :o (yes, I'm a product junkie)

Fortunately, my hair seems pretty tolerant of most things with a small handful of exceptions.

Princess Kitti
April 1st, 2010, 06:14 PM
Count me in! I have found that my hair enjoys a change from my shampoo/conditioner routine, it doesn't seem to like 'too much of a good thing' :) So I mix it up with the occasional CO, CWC, whatever I feel my hair needs at the time!

MAO
April 1st, 2010, 06:18 PM
Me!! I was sticking to herb cleansing for a while. Then went to CO. Then back and forth between S&C and CO. The last 2 washes were egg washes with preoiling which my hair seems to really like.

Carolyn
April 1st, 2010, 06:24 PM
My hair would be the biggest, nastiest mess if I didn't change my washing methods to what was needed or if I didn't swap my products each wash. I can usually tell what my hair needs. Sometimes time will also dictate what kind of a wash method I use on a particular day. I do CO, CWC, and SC washes with a great variety of products. Once in a while I have an epic fail with a wash but :shrug: it happens. I just wash again the next day and all is well.

moominhapa
April 1st, 2010, 06:34 PM
Yup! I definitely don't have a set routine. I just love to experiment too much! Today I tried CO for the first time, and earlier this week I was using BS/ACV. Trying new things all the time is part of enjoying my hair. That's why I love the LHC!

Dars
April 1st, 2010, 07:33 PM
I think I fit into this group. I've been on LHC for nearly a year. I joined using conventional S/C sometimes daily. Then I tried cone free CO for a few months, shampooing only if I had build up. Then to alternating every wash with CO and S/C (C was cone free). Now I'm back to S/C once or twice a week, with the C still cone free.

lhangel9
April 1st, 2010, 07:36 PM
I do WO, CO, Herbal Shampoo washes and clarifying.
Some days I only use water; Most days I CO and at least once a month I use an herbal shampoo mixed with a clarifying shampoo just to wash out any build up.

SpeakingEZ
April 2nd, 2010, 01:36 AM
Another vote for inconsistency!!

I view it in the same way I view my diet: the more you commit to a routine, the less you're listening to your body.

Rhiannon7
April 2nd, 2010, 02:18 AM
Well my hair preffers poo, but i do CO, Castile soap and CWC, my hair likes changes and does appreciate the extra moisture with CWC and CO.

But most of the time it's plain poo, just starting a trial on a new Natural poo i bought, will give it 1 month and see the results. if hair does not respond well i'll go back to castile soap, suave poo and CO.

It is fun to experiment and change washing methods, gives scalp a break and helps stimulate the hair follicle.

Loreley
April 2nd, 2010, 02:30 AM
I've done CO washes for half a year but now I'm experimenting with different shampoos to find the right one. I wash my hair twice or three times a week and usually one of them is CO.

Captain Nikki
April 2nd, 2010, 04:13 AM
I've been CO washing with cone free conditioners since joining LHC in December. Tonight, just for a change, i thought i'd use my old, expensive Redken shampoo & conditioner (with cones). My hair was more tangled than usual & once dried it was all frizzy, my lovely curls had gone. Now i have a wavy, frizzy mess.

Sammich
April 2nd, 2010, 04:24 AM
I switch between CWC or shampoo and condish. :)
(I dunno the abbreviation for that. )

squee
April 2nd, 2010, 06:42 AM
I switch from CO, shampoo bars(usually CWC), and soap nuts :)

HairFaerie
July 7th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I am very guilty of trying multiple shampoos and conditioners.

For some reason, I have never found one that worked for me all of the time. It seems my hair shifts. Sometimes it is dry and when I use moisturizing products, it gets too limp and feels weighed down. Sometimes my scalp gets very dry and itchy, and at other times it is oily!

I keep a lot of different types of stuff around and use what I feel I need at the time. However, I am in the process of moving and I am going to weed out my products considerably and just keep a few of my favorite ones that I use the most.

Eventually, I would like to start brewing my own concoctions and go natural! It's a lot of work but I feel it will be worth it in the long run.

MonikaHa
July 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Inconsistency rules my life! :D

Oh..I forgot to mention...sometimes I dissolve some of HennaSooq's cocoveda shampoo bar and use that as well...when I feel like it...especially when I wash henna out.

Whoaa! I do that too! Same poo bar and diluted LOL. I am mostly WO, but when my hair gets too gunky I use shikakai or some VO5

Deborah
July 7th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Me too. I mostly use either CO or Indian herbs (Hesh's Heenara Hair Wash Powder is my favorite among the Indian Herbs.) Once in a while I try something new, but not shampoo.

SpinDance
July 7th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I have always had to switch things up, sometimes from wash to wash, always as I felt like it. If I use the same thing too long it stops being wonderful. Switching it up means it all works well. I still haven't used up most of the shampoo/conditioner I had before I found LHC, although I have some new (and very cheap) conditioners now. Someday I expect to get around to trying herbs, but at the rate I'm using up what I have it will be quite a while!

Here's to mixing it up to meet the needs of the moment!

PiroskaCicu
July 7th, 2010, 01:07 PM
i love experimenting and mixing it up... some days I do CWC, other days I so SC, some WO and sometimes I just do a vinegar rinse. =) Fun fun...

littlenvy
July 7th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I was WO for about two months.
NOW .. I'm trying anything and everything and loving it. LOL
I think I'm addicted to playing with my hair. :rolleyes:
But I'm enjoying this so all is good.
Still no 'poo thou! Nope, never again.

bebei
July 7th, 2010, 02:47 PM
(Aaaargh I just typed a long post and deleted it by accident!) The main gist of it was that I mix and match my haircare products, not sticking to one brand or one price range (currently combining Paul Mitchell with Inecto), and I don't even stick to stuff meant for my hair type. I use some 'natural' products (ACV rinses, beer rinses, 'organic'-ish shampoos/conditioners) and some of the stuff is full of cones, sulphates etc etc. I'm not consistent with any method, and use CO, CWC, regular shampoo/conditioner combo, ACV rinses alone or after shampooing and even WO. I just get bored of routines pretty quickly and do whatever I feel is best.

Rapunzal2Be
July 7th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I switch between WO on my scalp and CO on my length, to non-sulfate shampoo, to sulfate shampoo every once in a while. And between cones and no cones.

HairFaerie
July 7th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I just tried CO today for the first time ever. I was very hesitant to try this because sometimes conditioner leaves my hair limp and greasy feeling.

I used Nature's Gate Organic conditioner and I must say I was very pleased with the results! My hair feels so soft and silky and not "weighed down" at all.

I will be mixing this method into my regimen from now on!

This is good because usually I run out of shampoo before conditioner. Now maybe I will actually be able to use some of these up!

Chiara
July 7th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Yup, I love switching too, although unfortunately I find my scalp does best on minimal washing (no more then twice a week, and shampoo maybe every 2 months). Since I LOVE experimenting, I consider that my scalp is holding me back :D

bumblebums
July 7th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I love how many no 'pooers there are in this thread!

mrs carol
July 7th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I use different things. My hair doesn't like me to use the same thing all the time. I have about ten different shampoos on my tub. I use a light apple cider rinse most times, don't use conditioner.

Lizard301
September 12th, 2010, 11:21 PM
For the past couple of months I've been using CV shampoo bars, but never the same one twice. Before that I was BS/ACV, and before that I was alternating between coconut oil pre-wash oiling and shampoo (or body) bar with bentonite clay and aloe vera leave-in.

And there were quite a few times I was WO, just because I was too lazy to figure out which way I wanted to go.

I guess I fall into the 'no poo' category, but haven't really thought about it until now.
How does this happen accidentally? LOL:p

little_cherry
September 13th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Still proud to announce that I do something different each time I wash my hair. My hair is loving it. It goes through many experiments. Like right now: Conditioner, Hemp seed oil, Honey, glycerin.

Dragon
September 13th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Some times CO, some times wash. Like to use different conditioners and shampoos.

Konstifik
September 13th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Multi-user here as well! :D
I mainly use SLS-shampoos, but soap-nuts, CO and WO get the occasional attention. I also change how often I wash. Right now I heavily oil the hair and put a scalp treatment lotion on before bed every other night, and wash it away in the morning. My hair and scalp seems to love it! :D

Joliebaby
September 13th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Shampoo bars and regular (but gentle, semi-natural or sulphate free) shampoos here. I don't want to CO because I'd use a whole bottle in two or three washes and it's just an awful lot of plastic bottle waste. Can't have that. I might go shampoo bars only later....