PDA

View Full Version : Science behind Monistat?

Ksenia
April 1st, 2010, 01:03 PM
I've looked through the Monistat thread because I'm trying to protect what I have so that it can continue to grow (it's delicate and prone to breakage), but the nerd in me insists on knowing the mechanism that makes something work before trying it. Does anyone know the science behind the Monistat --> hair growth phenomenon? Does the Micronazole clear up fungal growth on the scalp that is preventing growth, or does it somehow actually cause your hair to grow through some other mechanism I am unfamiliar with?

teela1978
April 1st, 2010, 01:09 PM
My understanding is that the Micronazole clears up fungal growth on the scalp that is preventing growth :)

I've never tried it myself though.

long.again
April 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM
I've heard the same as teela1978. For me it has worked much like pregnancy. It speeds up hair growth just a little and prevents hair loss so your hair feels thicker.

Monkey962
April 1st, 2010, 07:01 PM
It is an anti-fungal med. So my guess is that it stops the fungal growth on the scalp. I suppose if that's the case, a more pertinent question is why the fungus is there and why it reduces hair growth.

By the by, I'm wanting to try Monistat, where do I get it?

wendyg
April 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM
If it prevents fungal growth you'd think yogurt would do the trick...

wg

Kristin
April 1st, 2010, 07:29 PM
By the by, I'm wanting to try Monistat, where do I get it?

Any drug or grocery store.

I don't know how Monistat works. Wendyg makes sense though; if it were just working as an anti-fungal, then yogurt might work. All I know is that it does work- I started back up two days ago and have tiny roots from my 6-day-past henna.

tokidokichi
April 2nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
I just read this on a hairboutique.com blog

"The ingredients in Monistat and other related miconzaole nitrate formulations it that niconzaole nitrates are designed to cause instant increased blood flow to the areas by opening up the blood vessels so more blood can flow to the area.

The good news? The increased blood flow will help with increased hair growth. Many believe that this treatment method is similar to how Rogaine works.

The bad news? It can cause intense headaches and may or may not be safe for people taking other heart medications. A form of nitrates are prescribed for people with a history of heart problems such as angina and congestive heart failure. Some users complain that their entire scalp feels like it is moving after they apply the MN, especially the 4% composition."

it makes since to me!

Heidi_234
April 2nd, 2010, 01:54 PM
Also, there's a theory it's not just being anti-fungus but also because it provides more oxygen to the area:

Miconazole nitrate is one kind of a synthetic antifungal. It inhibits the growth of common dermatophytes and is generally suggested for the treatment of certain fungal infections of mucus membranes in the body. In other words it is a good cream that is used against fungus. All nitrates are good oxidizing agents. Hence miconazole nitrate hair growth includes the procedure of providing oxygen for the hair when used in the process of hair restoration and hair growth.
http://www.womanhairgrowth.com/miconazole-nitrate-hair-growth.htm

Sweetbaby
April 2nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
I just read this on a hairboutique.com blog

"The ingredients in Monistat and other related miconzaole nitrate formulations it that niconzaole nitrates are designed to cause instant increased blood flow to the areas by opening up the blood vessels so more blood can flow to the area.

The good news? The increased blood flow will help with increased hair growth. Many believe that this treatment method is similar to how Rogaine works.

The bad news? It can cause intense headaches and may or may not be safe for people taking other heart medications. A form of nitrates are prescribed for people with a history of heart problems such as angina and congestive heart failure. Some users complain that their entire scalp feels like it is moving after they apply the MN, especially the 4% composition."

it makes since to me!

This makes sense doesn't it? This is why I think some of the tips I've read such as turning your head upside down and using very warm water for hair washing might work too... the increased blood flow. Couple that with a good diet so your blood is providing optimal nutrients and who knows.. I just started the monistat thing, so I can't say whether it works or not but I should be able to tell in a few weeks I guess :-)

Thanks for this post.. fingers crossed it works lol

YesitsReal
April 2nd, 2010, 02:02 PM
Haha! I love The Beauty Brains!

http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/12/03/can-yeast-infection-creams-boost-hair-growth/

Anje
April 2nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
What I was going to say is basically the same as the Beauty Brains article -- that there are several imidazole-based compounds that are thought to increase hair growth. Ketoconazole is the other major one, and it's found in Nizoral. Nizoral is used as a shampoo ingredient, and it evidently also combats hair loss in androgenic alopecia. (Piérard-Franchimont C, De Doncker P, Cauwenbergh G, Piérard GE. Ketoconazole Shampoo: Effect of Long-Term Use in Androgenic Alopecia. Dermatology 1998;196:474-477 (DOI: 10.1159/000017954) )

Why are people putting Monistat on their heads, though? I suspect some women noticed that they got significant hair growth when they treated yeast infections, and decided to see whether they got similar effects on their heads.

Ksenia
April 2nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
Haha! I love The Beauty Brains!

http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/12/03/can-yeast-infection-creams-boost-hair-growth/

Thanks, YesitsReal! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I can see it helping to clear up a small fungal infection on the scalp (which is actually quite common), which in turn could be preventing hair growth. But if the scalp is already fungus-free, the effects of the micronazole would be minimal, or at least replicable through other non-medicinal means if it's a matter of massaging it into the scalp to stimulate blood flow. It seemed strange that the topical application of an anti-fungal cream could promote the growth of something primarily composed of protein. I thought I would ask here before firing up PubMed to check for myself.

dropinthebucket
April 3rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Anecdotal evidence, but ... i've been using it for a month, after reading the monistat thread here on LHC. Thought i'd do a controlled test - i have two balding patches, one on each side of the forehead area, just above the ears. I've been treating one side, using the other side as a control. So far, I don't see any difference between the two - however, lots of shedding on the side using monistat, plus a sensation of heat (as might be expected from increased blood flow). Just decided to discontinue because of the shedding, which is quite pronounced - even it helps with length, it's gonna thin things way too much at this rate of shed! Switching to castor oil, to stop the shed! hth.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
I also love Beauty Brains!!

The only credible research on this topic that I could find comes from a report issued by the Department of Internal Medicine, Naval Hospital, Bethesda, Maryland entitled “Ketoconazole Binds to the Human Androgen Receptor.” Ketoconazole, for those of you not up on your imidazole chemistry, is another antifungal which is a cousin of miconazole. The Bethesda report says that lab tests showed ketoconazole can interact with androgen receptors and therefore can inhibit testosterone levels.
The researchers said “androgen binding studies performed with other imidazoles, such as clotrimazole, miconazole, and fluconozole, revealed that in this class of compounds only ketoconazole appears to interact with the androgen receptor.”

OMG!! *rushes to wash her scalp with the prescribed ketokonazole anti-fungal shampoo" :cheese:

goodenough
April 3rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
I was talking to someone recently whose Dr. recommended an anti-fungal to be alternated with Rogaine. Probably not monistat, but his hunch was fungal growth?

blondecat
April 6th, 2010, 07:10 AM
OK, how much and how do we apply this ??

the other thread is way too long

ilovelonghair
July 15th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Blondecat, at the beginning of the thread they give some tips to which posts in that massive thread are the best. It's actually quite easy, so you don't need to read everything. I suggest to read the last pages, they contain some good info too :)

What kind of medication contains ketoconazole? That would be interesting to try for some people.

jacqueline101
July 15th, 2011, 07:00 AM
There is a shampoo that has it. I don't know the name but I saw the banner ad for it on here. Anti fungal creams have that as their ingredient.

Mesmerise
July 15th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Well that's interesting! I, too, would think it would have to be more than just the anti fungal component, as I'm sure not everyone has a fungal infection which needs stopping (although I do wonder if my son does and if Monistat/Daktarin would work on his scalp in this area... I am currently trying castor oil on it), but if it acts in other ways as well...such as bringing more oxygen, or stimulating it in some way that makes sense.

I think I will try it, although I'm not going to use a very strong solution, and I'm going to dilute it! I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to trying something like this on my own head!

Scarlet Rose
July 15th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I've also read that dandruff shampoo with pyrithione zinc as the active ingredient helps to increase hair growth, so maybe it's possible that just the anti-fungal effects of these products alone can increase growth. Does anyone know anything about pyrithione zinc?

Mommyof4
July 15th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I totally believe in dandruff shampoos to help growth. The year my hair grew 1 1/2 inches every month, I used head and shoulders shampoo and tresemme conditioner. I didn't suffer from any scalp problems, I just loved the tingly feeling it gave me, my scalp always felt so refreshed. (my hair was almost tail bone and too thick for a scrunchy to go around it once, so it was quite heavy!) Now, looking back, I'm guessing it was because the "tingly" feeling was actually better blood flow.... I might run out a grab a bottle lol.

Sookie
July 15th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I think hair growth is all about genes.. :p

eternalknot
July 21st, 2011, 03:24 AM
The things we do in the name of beauty ...! Monistat, who'd have thunk it?!

:p