PDA

View Full Version : Hair dilemma/measuring problem!

Juliannaissance
April 1st, 2010, 12:03 PM
How do you measure your hair? Are you certain it's the right measurement?

Every time I try to measure my hair with a tape measure, starting from hairline to the ends I get totally different numbers. Like last month I measured in the same day: 30", 31", and 30 1/2" and then back to 31". Today I measured 30", and 31".:undecided

I get different measurements each time in the same day. Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a special technique to get the right measurement?:confused:

BattahZ
April 1st, 2010, 12:10 PM
I'm no expert (still trying to figure this all out myself!), but I've noted in several of the threads about measuring hair that a lot of people take three measurements and then average them. I'm assuming that's the best way to go, since unevenness in length plus wave or curl can affect your measurements.

Juliannaissance
April 1st, 2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks! I hope there's a better way to get more accurate results. But alas, my hair has to be wavy and cut in long layers..:p

BattahZ
April 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM
Mine is very curly and cut into layers as well, so I feel your pain :) The last time I measured it, I just measured from the nape under my ear, and figured that would be a good place to keep re-measuring to keep track of growth. But that hasn't given me an accurate "length" measurement consistent with what the ladies here use, so I need to figure out a better way.

I'm thinking wet, combed-out hair would be best for measuring, and perhaps someone to help...

Juliannaissance
April 1st, 2010, 12:25 PM
I've also tried measuring with my hair wet and combed out, but for some reason it keeps doing the same thing...different measurements. It is so irritating sometimes, and it makes me think it's not growing at all. :(

lapushka
April 1st, 2010, 12:32 PM
Get some help with measuring, and/or measure it stretched out if you have waves or curls (makes it easier).

Juliannaissance
April 1st, 2010, 01:02 PM
I should try that. I do know that I try as accurately as I can to get my hair at the right point...I don't like this measuring tape...:p

WaitingSoLong
April 1st, 2010, 01:06 PM
Someone mentioned only measuring wet. Seems to yield more consistent results. I have to have someone else do it for me.

Ravenne
April 1st, 2010, 01:24 PM
I set the timer on my camera and take a picture of the tape measurer. Just make sure your hair is combed or however you get it to lay how you want. I usually take a few to make sure one's not a fluke. :)

Juliannaissance
April 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
I set the timer on my camera and take a picture of the tape measurer. Just make sure your hair is combed or however you get it to lay how you want. I usually take a few to make sure one's not a fluke. :)That is a great idea! I'll try it with wet hair!:cheese:

elina333
April 1st, 2010, 02:58 PM
Here's a link to an article about this particular problem :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=168

Tovah
April 1st, 2010, 04:12 PM
I gave up.
I'm just look at where it sits on my back.
Right now mine's a bit below shoulder, on my long journey to APL.

I did try using a string and then measuring the string, but it's very tricky and inconsistent.

Juliannaissance
April 1st, 2010, 04:21 PM
Here's a link to an article about this particular problem :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=168Thanks for the link! :)

I gave up.
I'm just look at where it sits on my back.
Right now mine's a bit below shoulder, on my long journey to APL.

I did try using a string and then measuring the string, but it's very tricky and inconsistent.That does seem rather inconsistent. Maybe I should try that just for kicks. But like you, I might also give up.

elina333
April 4th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Also, something you can do instead of using the tape measure is simply using "body milestones". Like birthmarks, nipples, belly button etc. :)