PDA

View Full Version : If you were to cut short....

whiteisle
April 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
...and of course I mean a BIG "IF" ;), would you continue with the same gentle care you give your long hair? Gentle handling, gentle products, etc. ?

Or would you jump in full force with all the "evils" that fit your fancy? :p:D

emmabovary
April 1st, 2010, 10:04 AM
If I cut it short, and didn't intend to grow it out again, I would enjoy the evils freely :D That would be the only point in chopping for me, getting to experiment without worrying about damage.

halo_tightens
April 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM
It all depends on if I planned to keep it short or grow it back.

If I were keeping it short, then HECK YEAH I'd be doing stuff to it! I'd probably go nuts for a while with bleaches and dyes and irons... Ad it would be beeeautiful.

If I planned to re-grow, I'd be good. It would be kind of nice to grow healthy hair from scratch instead of dealing with past damage in the ends. :)

Roseate
April 1st, 2010, 10:13 AM
I'd stick with no-SLS, because that has mostly solved my scalp problems, and for that I am eternally grateful!

Other than that, no need. My hair doesn't show damage from blowdrying, ironing, etc, if it is kept cut less than shoulder length. I've never been one to heat-style my hair every day, but now I don't do it at all, and that would probably change, especially since with shorter hair it is always 'down'.

freckles
April 1st, 2010, 10:15 AM
I've never been ESPECIALLY harsh on my hair, so I don't think I would go 'all out'. But if I didn't intend to grow out, I certainly wouldn't be as worried about damage. I'd probably go back to blowdrying, and I might even go blonde, because I've never had lighter hair than my natural colour before, and I've only dyed a couple of times in my life. I'd quite like to see what I look like blonde. Apart from that, I would still be pretty gentle, I reckon.

shockinglength
April 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
I'd be nice to it =P

Lemur_Catta
April 1st, 2010, 10:42 AM
If I cut my hair short, I would dye it without worrying about damage :D I wouldn't blow dry it, because I am lazy, and I would enjoy my hair drying in less than 3 hours! I wouldn't flat iron either, since my hair is already straight. The only thing I would do that I don't do now would be dye :)

redneckprincess
April 1st, 2010, 10:53 AM
IF i had to have my hair cut, I would still never go back to my old EVIL hair "care" ways

Verybadhairday
April 1st, 2010, 11:16 AM
I'd keep the same routine as I do now, as my hair is curly and out of control so would look awful and get damaged if I didn't attempt to look after it :P

AJoifulNoise
April 1st, 2010, 11:19 AM
I'd probably keep the same routine for two reasons.

(A) I never maintain a hair cut. I'm way too lazy. So, I'm stuck with the hair I have.

(B) My routine is first and foremost about keeping my scalp happy. That wouldn't change just by cutting my hair.

Hay22
April 1st, 2010, 11:21 AM
If I did a big chop I'd go all willy-nilly with hair craziness. Blow-drying, flat-ironing, curling, etc. I wouldn't go back to most styling products, though, as they tend to break me out.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 1st, 2010, 11:23 AM
I'm still short, but if i didn't intend to go for tailbone, i would FLATIRON like there's no tomorrow :D

Siava
April 1st, 2010, 11:30 AM
I've been a super shortie before and did all of the evilness. The damage was visible even when my hair grew out to 2 inches. If I were to go super short again I'd leave it alone.

paperwhite
April 1st, 2010, 11:34 AM
I'd probably still treat it the way I do now. I don't have the freedom to really do anything crazy with it anyway (work dress codes and such). To add to that, my routine is really minimal now and I've gotten really used to not fussing over my hair much. It would probably end up growing long again out of neglect :p

Bast
April 1st, 2010, 11:37 AM
I'd stick with the products that I have found to make my hair and scalp happiest, but if I was going to stay short, then all bets are off...I'd pull out the fryer, the irons, the dyes, etc!

Merewen
April 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
Honestly, I don't do most of the "evils" out of pure laziness. But I'd probably go back to a shampoo/conditioner routine. And maybe if I felt really brave, I'd dye it lots of fun colors.

Carolyn
April 1st, 2010, 02:28 PM
If I ever cut you bet I'd be coloring more often and doing more high lights. I'd also be washing almost every day and using the blow dryer, flat iron, or curling iron every time I washed it. I can't imagine ever going short but I think there are some nice bob styles and they would require a heck of a lot of maintenance and styling.

SummerWarmth
April 1st, 2010, 02:36 PM
Three years ago I did the pixie cut. It was the shortest I've ever had it. It was the worst I had ever treated my hair. Hair coloring, hair junk...then as it grew I heat styled it... Yikes!

I'm so sorry, Hair! Forgive me?

Now APL to Waist - the healthy way.

aef231
April 1st, 2010, 02:52 PM
When my hair is short, it's abused. Blowdryer, styling products, dye, shampoo
every day with no conditioner... You name it. I still need to cut some of my old damage out, one of my goals is to have those damaged ends gone by the end of the summer :)

Rivanariko
April 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM
If I were to cut my hair short, it would be SHORT. As in no maintenance necessary short, except for the regular trims that would be necessary to keep it at that length. So no, I don't think I'd be doing anything "evil" or damaging to it because there wouldn't be much of it to damage! I might experiment with some dyes, since I would know that I could just cut them off again in a month.

Mamakash
April 1st, 2010, 05:19 PM
The problem I see with this question is that it would have to be a permanent decision and you'd have to keep cutting your hair short. I've cut mine short, got it highlighted twice, and then said I was sick of short hair. The highlights were drying and caused breakage. And they take time to grow out. So unless you were going to cut your hair short, style/color in wild delight and keep trimming, you'd have to remember that the damage you cause could be with you for awhile. Which may encourage you to baby all that beautiful new virgin growth.

Mamakash
April 1st, 2010, 07:03 PM
I just thought of this while I was in the shower . . . if my hair was short I'd try henna. I wouldn't worry if it didn't come out right and with less hair, I'd probably make less of a mess.

MandyBeth
April 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM
For me to go short again, I'd go back to the 1" or so messy pixie thing I had going on. If my hair grows out in 2 months, I don't care what I do with it - I remove the hair off my legs less often than that. Plus, then if I hate it after a year, I do only have an inch to grow out that'd potentially be in rough condition. At an inch long, I can probably get away with scrubbing my hair and a light conditioner simply because it is fine and there isn't length really to it.

But ick, the grow out. After it gets about 3" - 4" long to at least past chin, ugh. It's this unruly, fluffy mess that resembles a dandelion puffball for several inches to jaw or so, then it's a triangle until at least now.

And as much as I did enjoy having the super short hair for many years - I'm not sure it's the most suitable look on me. I'm too round in the face to look professional then (my hair pretty well spikes up then), and too broad in the shoulders/flat chested to look even remotely female half the time really.

ETA - with super short hair, you don't need to blow dry or flat iron. Not enough to heat style :) But ack, the upkeep! It's trimming every 4 weeks!

CherrySilver
April 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM
I did this rather foolishly back around the turn of the century... However, I was a long hair for many years before the "big" chop (or rather a series of smaller chops) and knew how to properly care for my bob. I had developed such good habits (thanks to Dr. George Michael), that I couldn't bear to do that to my hair. However, I had succumbed to temporary insanity and a desire for a new, updated look to go along with my new single marital status.

Now, ten years later, I finally have my length back! Never again...

Dars
April 1st, 2010, 07:27 PM
If I was going to keep my hair short I would find a middle ground, I've had short hair before.

- I would use my straightener, with protection, but I would be comfortable in wearing my hair curly as well.
- I wouldn't use products simply because I have no desire anymore.
- I would continue my current washing method.
- I'm not big on dying so that will stay the same.

This is how I treated my previous short hair:

- I used the straightener everyday, sometimes on damp hair & without protection. I didn't know how to care for my hair type.
- I was a product junkie.
- I used cones, shampooed twice, washed sometimes everyday, used towels and the blow dryer.
- I dyed my hair with chemicals, though infrequently.

SO, the only difference if I were to cut my hair short and stay that way is that I would be okay using the straightener. Everyone else would remain the same.

Wanderer09
April 2nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
If my hair was short, I would resemble a hobbit. :p I still wouldn't straighten, because a) I'm lazy and b) hot tools near my face make me nervous. But I'd go nuts with bleach and fun colours if I didn't intend to grow it out again. ;)

Aditi
April 2nd, 2010, 02:05 AM
"IF" i would have to cut my hair short i would still pamper my hair as i am doing it now.

Loreley
April 2nd, 2010, 02:23 AM
I wouldn't use harsh things on it. I would try to keep it as healthy as possible. :)

windinherhair
April 2nd, 2010, 02:29 AM
If I didn't plan to grow it back out, then I would probably experiment with it. The main reason I changed my hair routine here, was to take better care of it since it was longer and I wanted to grow longer. That is a big IF, because I would much rather get a wig at the thought of cutting my hair short again. :)

BunnyBee
April 2nd, 2010, 03:16 AM
No way, it wouldn't be worth it. If I cut REALLY short, no matter what damage I did, in a couple of months my hair would be virgin again.
I'd probably get a pixie (cuz I've never had one :rolleyes:) and dye it blue :P Although I couldn't because I'm allergic to dye... All the more reason not to cut it! lol

starlights
April 2nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
if i had short hair i'd probably not take as much care.... and if i did have to cut, i'd probably shave the whole thing off ! lol

moominhapa
April 2nd, 2010, 04:12 PM
If I had short hair and wasn't planning on growing it out, I'd probably still be nice to it, but not as nice. The couple times I have had short hair, it really needed to be heat styled to look good. Otherwise it flipped out in strange directions or just looked flat. So I'd probably blow dry and maybe use some sort of product, but I'd still never dye it or anything.

Liluri
April 2nd, 2010, 04:18 PM
If I shaved my hair again, I'm not sure I could resist bleaching and going purple... But then I'd shave again and start from scratch, growing my hair our with gentle care.

jaine
April 2nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
I tried highlights out of curiosity... and henna/indigo to darken the highlights once I was done with them... for me the experimentation is less stressful with short hair. But I still treat my hair gently. No heat, no hot water in the shower, no sulfates.

SurprisingWoman
April 2nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
I would be allll about the blow fryer and curling iron! I don't think I would color again, growing it out was too much of a pain but I might do a few streaks of manic purple!

Shermie Girl
April 3rd, 2010, 03:05 AM
...and of course I mean a BIG "IF" ;), would you continue with the same gentle care you give your long hair? Gentle handling, gentle products, etc. ?

If I had to keep it short and was trimming and cutting it regularly to keep it that way, I would probably go full on evil. Bleach, blow dryer, flat iron, "protective products"... The whole ball of wax. :bluebiggr Why not? It can be fun and since all the damage is getting cut away, it isn't really all that evil. :cool:

Toadstool
April 3rd, 2010, 03:26 AM
Mine IS short and before Christmas I went wild dyeing it several times - six in two days. Well it feels like c**p and I hate the feel of it even at this length - a few inches.

Fiferstone
April 3rd, 2010, 05:50 AM
If I were to go short again, it would be because I have too many grey hairs for the henna to look believable or if I just wanted to go back to my natural color (we're talking half-inch long hair with that option). I'd be cutting off all the dyed/colored length in order to get back to natural color, and I'd be growing it out again, so yes, I would continue to baby it.

C_Bookworm
April 3rd, 2010, 07:40 AM
I've done it before. And basically colored it every color under the sun. Heat styling doesn't appeal to me (I'm clumsy, so it results in lots of burns) but man did I have fun with color.

Ultimately it wasn't me. It was just a fun stage.:cheese: Hopefully I got it all out of my system!

Liss
April 3rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
I'm also clumsy with heat styling - ouch! I'm also too lazy to style every day, so when my hair was shorter, and I doubt my routine would magically change, I just left it as it was. I would probably be more inclined to highlight often, but that's about it.

I think if it went short by accident, or through no deliberate decision, I'd look after it really well because I'd be growing it long again.

Peter
April 3rd, 2010, 08:25 AM
Only in some ways. I would definitely start towel-rubbing my hair again since it dries so much faster that way. I'd wash more often too, but I don't think that's a bad thing... I just don't like washing my hair because it takes so long. :p

By the way, when I think "short", I mean only a few inches long, not chin length or something.

ZaBasDa
April 3rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
If my hair was short ( chin or so) or very short ( several inches) I'd still be gentle with it. I've be even more gentle because I wouldn't dye it fun colors because it would grow out way too fast and I hate dealing with roots. I would also be gentle because my hair tangles just as much when it's short as it does when it's long and I wouldn't heat style it because it curls up so perfectly when it's short that there would be no point. And my hair won't straighten when it's above shoulder length, it just gets wavy.

GlassEyes
April 3rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
I'd have white hair.

...I think that counts as full stop into the evils.

spidermom
April 3rd, 2010, 09:52 PM
I'd do what I wanted when I wanted and how I wanted and not worry about damage UNLESS I decided I wanted to grow long hair again.

Igor
April 4th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Short and growing back = Yes

Short and staying? I would probably jump back on the shampoo wagon. It is just easier than CO washes. Probably some gel product to tame the bangs (I would get wispy bangs if I went short) And let’s add some highlights and red tones…

ericthegreat
April 4th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I would never be able to cut my hair super short. I would still leave enough length for a conventionally typical male long hairstyle. I would cut my hair exactly the way Jon Bon Jovi cuts his hair, around shoulder length with lots of shaggy layers.

Since I already highlight, color, blown out and flat iron my hair at this length(I'm now just past TB length), I would abuse my hair with absolutely no concern for its health if it were shorter! I'd go back to using hairspray, gels, mousses, all of those alcohol-drying products that are out there to create the 'poofed up in the front' Elvis look, or John Travolta's look back in the 70s.

I'd still CO my hair, because COing over time has really brought both my scalp and my hair ends into the right moisture balance. Back when I used to shampoo, I went thro the typical cycle of having an oily scalp and dry split ends. It was only until I stopped using shampoo that my scalp controlled how much oil it produced and my ends became much healthier.

Clarisse
April 4th, 2010, 06:40 AM
If I cut my hair shorter to get rid of damage, I would (of course) be very gentle with it. If I cut it shorter and intended my hair to stay like that, I'd back comb it, use lots of gel and color it red or medium brown... Lots of damage :P But I (hopefully) never will.

Ash
April 4th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I would keep using the chemical free products and maybe occasional oil. I would probably go back to multiple hair colors, bleaching, shaving one side/mohawk/etc since I would probably keep it shorter until I got tired of it. Then I would stop all the random shaving and coloring and grow it back out.

Bonkers57
April 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I think I would continue the same gentle care - out of sheer laziness if nothing else. Also at some point I'd let it grow again; I like to change things up.

Flynn
April 13th, 2010, 10:09 PM

Yes.

And it's not such a big "if".

Good hair condition is far more important to me than length.

Vianka
April 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I'd go back to blow drying my hair completely dry every day! Actually, I've gone back to blow drying my hair anyway because if I don't it's a complete disaster. I've actually considered going back to short hair recently. :-(

beez1717
April 13th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I'd be happy for a minute and then I'd start morning my lost hair. I'd have to start my journey again.

Bianca
April 13th, 2010, 11:10 PM
I would still CO, but I would probably bleach and tone it totally white blonde or dye it orange/strawberry blonde, and flatiron :)

sarah061
April 13th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I would definitely do lots of evil things to it! My hair looks so much better when it's blow dried and it's an awkward mousy color that I like to dye darker, so if I were going to keep it short I would do whatever I wanted :) I've been thinking of going back to dying and blow drying after I reach my goal length and don't mind getting it trimmed more frequently, but I'll have to see. More than anything I just want to have gorgeous healthy hair.

LadyEliza
April 14th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Ah - I did do this! Went from classic to pixie.

Had fun with many things that I could never do with my hair while it was long. The age of the hair wasn't an issue, I didn't have to be delicate and caring.

Now I'm back growning (BSL) and taking care of it again :)

Monsterkitti
April 14th, 2010, 03:03 AM
If I cut short I think I'd stay with the samecare routine as it makes my scalp and hair happy but I would straighten more often and I'd definatly play with bright dyes again :)

kelly-j
April 14th, 2010, 03:35 AM
I´ve had my hair short several times, and I must admit I never took as good care of it then as now when I intend to grow it long.

LunarAurora
April 14th, 2010, 04:01 AM
I would keep the good cares, because one day i may want to grow my hair again :)
But i think i would HAVE TO use some gel because my hair is naturally wavy, and short wavy hair is not easy to keep nice.

FrannyG
April 14th, 2010, 04:15 AM
If I cut my hair very, very short, I would likely have to resort to blow drying or using some sort of heat appliance like a curling iron or hot rollers. My hair is just so straight that it really doesn't do well on its own when it's short. It tends to stick out everywhere. I might also have to use mousse or gel, which I don't use anymore at all.

If it were a bit below the chin all over, I'd take care of it the way I do now.

sweet*things
April 14th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I'd stick with the same shampoo routine, but I probably wouldn't oil until it was past shoulder length again, my hair just doesn't need it until then.

Paniscus
April 14th, 2010, 07:51 AM
If I cut my hair short... hmm. I would still baby my hair and try to keep it healthy.

Maddy25
April 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I just cut mine short and I still do baby it and use oils and what not. Although I am regrowing it so I need it to be healthy, if I wasnt growing it I wouldnt be so careful.

JenniferNoel
April 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM
If I cut it short, I would have cut it for one reason - to not worry about it, dye it, change it, wear wigs, style it, and go wild.
Which I won't. :cheese:

Kiraela
April 14th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Hmm, I know I wouldn't flat iron, blow dry, or perm it - I never did before, and I'm even lazier now! But I do think I'd have lots of color, haha. I'd probably go back to purple. I had it purple for about 6 months, and I LOVED it!

PadmeAmidala
April 14th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I guess I'd become much more lazy with caring about my hair - I didn't have a single split end when it was chin length, after all.

I have to do so much more when it's long.

feralnature
April 14th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I would be evil with my hair, I would bleach it and use blow-fryers and flat irons and just go wild!

PhillyGirl26
April 14th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I would grow it back out and take care of it

Lélie
April 14th, 2010, 01:52 PM
When i cut my hair back to high school, i tried loaaads of colors ! I liked it because my hair was not damaged, and it grew totally (and grew the color away) in 2 months, that was easy !

Then i grew it long ... i didn't care very much, but a bit more ... my hair was not so beautiful, but it grew like crazy (waist in 4 or 5 years).

Then i cut it short again (not waist from short !! little bit by little bit) ...
I care in a natural chemical-free way, but didn't baby them a lot ... it was beautiful anyway, and i liked it !

Now i'm growing it again, and it's growing much slooooowly than back in high school, and i find it loooooong !! I care now, i found LHC, learn how to take care of my hair, and i'm happy about that, even if i need time to settle down a routine !

Thanks LHC :D

Mrs Sgardelis
April 15th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Bring on the evils, my hair was a chin length bob last year, I didn't have to do anything special, it was perfect no matter what I used...........why am I growing it again?

Hana
April 15th, 2010, 07:10 AM
of course i would baby my hair if i were to cut it short!
because i know the temptation to grow long again would soon raise its hirsuit head. im kicking myself for not taking care of my hair a few years ago and I'm paying the price now.

Bonkers57
April 15th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I know what you mean. If I cut mine to pixie I'd continue to wash it less often - it's SO much easier to style that way :D Just a bit of gel or mousse and I'll have all the lift I need - no blow drying or ironing. And...I might be tempted to highlight again.

Hmm, I know I wouldn't flat iron, blow dry, or perm it - I never did before, and I'm even lazier now! But I do think I'd have lots of color, haha. I'd probably go back to purple. I had it purple for about 6 months, and I LOVED it!

Anje
April 15th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I've never been particularly evil in my haircare. If I were to cut it short (pixie-ish), I might play around with styling gels a bit, spike it occasionally. Perhaps dye it for a little while (though other than my experiments with burgundy and a few green stripes, I've never been one for dye).

I doubt I'd look good with hair that short, though.

Kiraela
April 15th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I've never been particularly evil in my haircare. If I were to cut it short (pixie-ish), I might play around with styling gels a bit, spike it occasionally. Perhaps dye it for a little while (though other than my experiments with burgundy and a few green stripes, I've never been one for dye).

I doubt I'd look good with hair that short, though.

I know I wouldn't, haha. I've got pictures of my hair in a pseudobob, just under chin length. it was... urgh. In one of my albums, I think. So I don't have to worry about the temptation to cut, bleach and violetize it getting too strong - I just have to look at that, look at my hair now, and be happy.

*Aoife*
April 15th, 2010, 09:46 AM
If I were to chop it all off, I'd go mega short, bleach it and dye it very purple. I'd probably ruin it but have insane looking hair.

And I'd get my nape pierced because I don't think I can manage a nape piercing with long hair :(

Unzadi
April 15th, 2010, 10:02 AM
If I were to cut short, I'd probably go for pixie and play with product, color, heat, etc for a while. If I wanted to stay short, then stick with that. If I wanted to grow out, then baby it.