PDA

View Full Version : Big 80's hair

zeldagirl7491
April 1st, 2010, 08:20 AM
Last night at my youth groups talent show, the high school and middle school girls were going to dance to a 1980's song. So all of them dresses up and had our teacher make their hair big.
One of my sisters said: "I don't want to do that to my hair if it causes permanent damage." To which a girl replied: "It won't permanently damage it. People did this to their hair everyday."
(teasing, hair spraying, then teasing again??? EVERYDAY????)
Of course that statement made me laugh a lot on the inside.

I didn't do it because my hair would never come un-teased and would have to be chopped off. Now that I know what causes damage, watching everyone make their hair that way was a bit disturbing....but the night was still fun.

So I just wanted to share that absurd comment with all of you.
The End. :cheese:

marikamt
April 1st, 2010, 08:25 AM
I am laughing because I DID IT!!!!! :lol:

It used to take me 2 hrs to do my APL/ BSL length hair in Junior high ........ you washed everyday, blowdried (with a brush, held in one place to make it 'flip back'), then you hair sprayed, then you curled (sometimes hairsprayed again, each section as you curled to make sure it stayed), teased the bangs and top (mall bangs) then sprayed the finished project....... I can remember my bathroom sink and floor being COVERED in hairspray...... :D

zeldagirl7491
April 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM
hahaha I can't even imagine doing that to myself. :D

lapushka
April 1st, 2010, 10:04 AM
I am laughing because I DID IT!!!!! :lol:

It used to take me 2 hrs to do my APL/ BSL length hair in Junior high ........ you washed everyday, blowdried (with a brush, held in one place to make it 'flip back'), then you hair sprayed, then you curled (sometimes hairsprayed again, each section as you curled to make sure it stayed), teased the bangs and top (mall bangs) then sprayed the finished project....... I can remember my bathroom sink and floor being COVERED in hairspray...... :D

:lol: I remember "sculpted" bangs!

halo_tightens
April 1st, 2010, 10:11 AM
Ohhh, the bangs... I had them too. I'm surprised any of us had any bangs left at all back then, with all the searing heat and chemicals we used! :D

Hiriel
April 1st, 2010, 12:25 PM
Gah, I wish my mother had longer hair in the 80's, so I had something to tease her about :laugh:
My friend's mother on the other hand.. She's always had long hair. Nowadays, it's mostly grey, henna red or dyed black. She's a metal girl. In the 80's, she looked like a windblown bleached blonde poodle :D

Gypsy
April 1st, 2010, 12:33 PM
Naw, not permanent damage.
I didn't do it to m own hair but I certainly was surrounded by people who did- not just girls, of course, think of rock groups like Ratt and Twisted Sister and Poison, lol!
I'm sure there was some damage but nothing that would forever destroy the hair as most people were regularly trimming their hair.
And thankfully, the look didn't last so whatever damage there was, is long gone.

kabelaced
April 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM
So glad I was not of age in the 80's...just looking at those outfits and that hair makes me cringe. It just looks super unnatural and way over the top! My mom's hair didn't look bad, though, from the pictures I've seen - she used curlers to curl her hair everyday, and she still does that now. Maybe that's why her big hair doesn't look funny to me...:eek:

Oskimosa
April 2nd, 2010, 12:04 PM
Whew. I sculpted my bangs daily too, well into the 90s :p. And perms, scrunching, yikes. Hair spray was my friend! Haven't bought a can in years.

SummerWarmth
April 2nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Crimping. A lot of crimping. My childhood friend and I would get our hair crimped before school by her mom. Ahh the 80s.

geosangel
April 2nd, 2010, 12:44 PM
yikes, when I think back to that time, I was a teen, and pretty closely copied Axl Roses hair in the "Welcome to the Jungle" video. (everybody always said it looked better on me, lol). Then came my punk stage, with using egg whites and sugar to make my mohawk stand up because hairspray wouldn't hold...I think I probably did more damage to my mom's pride and feelings with my crazy hairstyles than I did to my hair. :p Those were fun times, though:D

Spike
April 2nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Perms--gahhh! I never had the patience for blowdrying, but I wanted curly hair. Big poofy curly hair, so perms it was.

And the upkeep of those darned things--every three months I'd have to get the roots and last third refreshed, and then the whole hedge trimmed. Did it for a year before I lost patience with the process.

Funny part is that with oil and conditioner every day plus "no touchee till it's dry" I have the same enormous lion's mane I had in high school--without the time or product!

Ravenwaves 88
April 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
:lol: I remember "sculpted" bangs!

Ha ha.....that's a perfect way to say it. I literally scultping my bangs into a nice wave in the front with a ton of hairspray until it was a brick.:D

Fiferstone
April 2nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
My trick was to hang my head upside down and let fly with the white rain. Instant "volume."

:shudder:.

Oskimosa
April 2nd, 2010, 11:28 PM
Lol, White Rain and also Rave, because it was supposed to be "unscented"... yea right!

windinherhair
April 3rd, 2010, 01:45 AM
In high school I had a hair stylist do my hair for a dance, and she mentioned how she did the same thing to her hair every morning when she was in high school. I was having her do it for a reason! She said it would take her a couple hours. Oh no, I couldn't imagine, not me. ;)

lilravendark
April 3rd, 2010, 02:19 AM
LOL my mum was an 80's chick her old passport photo she had the very tight curled perm and poofy hair then the sculpted bangs haha shes got classic length natural hair now and is forever saying I should have never cut my hair it would have been longer than hers by now, ok so I'll listen to her advice this time round :D

Shermie Girl
April 3rd, 2010, 03:00 AM
Ah... The 80's. Huge hair and sky high bangs. Those were the days when I would colour, perm, curl, spray and re curl, brush, fluff, tease and then spray it all into oblivion. A category 5 hurricane couldn't have moved my hair. I am surprised I got out of that decade with any hair. Or lungs, for that matter. :lol:

elina333
April 3rd, 2010, 03:57 AM
I love that 80s look! :D It wrecks havoc on the hair but it looks so cute!

Heres a pic from an 80s party I went to last fall (before I joined LHC :D). My hair has fallen flat a little bit... I dont know if you can even see my attempt to BIG hair. But I used like a can of hairspray, half a jar of styling dust and I teased it for 20 mins! :shudder: And it was BIG the first couple of hours! :D

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx335/asd551/Elina.jpg

marikamt
April 3rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
Lol, White Rain and also Rave, because it was supposed to be "unscented"... yea right!

My personal fave was AquaNet......... :D

rags
April 3rd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Another Aquanet girl here! And yeah, every single day - wash, blowdry, tease the top, curl the bangswith a curling iron and then tease them, then use half a can of hairspray on it. Oh, and that was on top of the perm because my naturally straightish fine hair wouldn't hold even with the spray. So, a perm every four months, and this every day. Not an absurd comment at all!

C_Bookworm
April 3rd, 2010, 07:36 AM
There is a girl in my class who does her hair like that every day. The other day she actually walked in with her hair just natural, and you could see all the broken hairs sticking up. I heard her telling another girl she couldn't get them to lay flat, but that was good because it was all her "new growth".

Eek!:taz:

Angela_Rose
April 3rd, 2010, 08:32 AM
Oh, AquaNet.
I swear, my Nana bought cases of the stuff- she still has cans around and I don't think they even make it anymore- and I shudder every. single. time. I see one. Bleh.

trillcat
April 3rd, 2010, 08:41 AM
Crimping. A lot of crimping. My childhood friend and I would get our hair crimped before school by her mom. Ahh the 80s.
Another former crimper here! I still have my crimping iron! I look at it now and then and sadly shake my head wondering what in the world I was thinking, though it did look cute, talk about crunchy dried out hair! I would have my best friend crimp it, it was too long for me to do myself, though I did try a few times, my arms would give out about a half hour into the process. It was an especially good look the next day if we went out to a club, nice red hungover racoon eyes with mascara smudges and a mass of frizzed out hair that no comb or brush could get though, just fabulous! :rolleyes:
When I was not crimped I had ginormous Farah wings, oh yea, I rocked that look for a few years, lol. I would have to take a razor blade scraper to get all the hair spray over spray off my bathroom mirror.

countryhopper
April 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM
AAACCCKKK!!! I remember aquanet, white rain, and bang fans! I used to sculpt my bangs very carefully on the top half and then leave some on the bottom to curl under.

And I remember topsy tails, too! I was a little leary about getting another one just recently because I was afraid it would look too '90s! (I got one anyhow!)

ohwhataday03
April 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
One more to add to the list of big hair. I laugh at the pictures of me back then. My sons laugh too. Its like that song about mama before she was mama. Funny.

Melisande
April 3rd, 2010, 02:04 PM
I was young in the 80s but I didn't like the teased sprayed look. And I never had bangs, hated them even then. I did a Katherine Hepburn pouf with my front hair, a quarter-up (instead of half up...) and it looked okay. Later I had an asymmetrical New Wavey bob, that was cool ;-) And only in the 90s did I venture into perm land - just to get my lifelong dream about cuuurls out of my system... and it worked. I permed for c. a year and then sustained a horrible chemical burn from the stuff. That was my last perm.... and permanent it was. You can see the scar of the burn in my neck still.

But I looked my best in the 80s, I was young. In 20 years, everybody will think that the look of today looks funny. We just don't notice it because it looks "normal".... just wait what we will say about ourselves 2010 in 2020....

restourceful
April 3rd, 2010, 03:08 PM
Elina333, you look like a young Cheryl Ladd in that photo.

Former poodle perm and poufy bangs girl here. Around here we called the sculpted bangs "mall bangs" because every girl at the mall had them! :tongue:

*rummages through old photos looking for proof*

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy109/restourceful/LHCpics/th_img174.jpg (http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy109/restourceful/LHCpics/img174.jpg)http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy109/restourceful/LHCpics/th_img175.jpg (http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy109/restourceful/LHCpics/img175.jpg)
Clickable thumbs.

If you quote please don't include the pictures. I may want to remove them later. :flower:

Altocumulus
April 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
Haha, yes people did that every day! I didn't, but I did blow dry every day in the futile quest for straight hair.