PDA

View Full Version : anyone else???

redneckprincess
April 1st, 2010, 05:29 AM
feel like their hair LOOKS really long in pictures, but just dosent FEEL that long...
I was so excited to make it to 20" of length (curly) but now I wonder why I thought this was sooo long, it dosent feel any longer then its been in a year...but when I see pictures Im AMAZED at how long it LOOKS!!!....maybe it will start to feel as long as it looks by the end of summer...:confused:

caliweri
April 1st, 2010, 05:57 AM
I´ve noticed this too! I´m in between apl and bsl at the moment, and I often think I should stop growing my hair altogether since nothing seems to happen. But lately people have told me that my hair is getting long, and the photos prove it - so I guess I´ll just keep going.

WaitingSoLong
April 1st, 2010, 06:05 AM
Definitely. My hair doesn't feel as long as it is, and seeing it in pictures is weird.

Newniepg
April 1st, 2010, 06:17 AM
Yes! I saw my back in a monitor in a supermarket and had to surreptisiously put my hand to my hemline to check I wasn't seeing things. It's a nice feeling though, finding out your hair looks longer than you thought.

Pixna
April 1st, 2010, 06:28 AM
I feel the same way. It helps to see progress pics to verify how far we've come -- I know mine help in that way. But, still, my hair doesn't seem very long to me, or look very long to me either. But when I look at my progress pics, I realize it's a lot longer than it was...and than I believe it currently is (if that makes any sense). :rolleyes:

Carolyn
April 1st, 2010, 06:31 AM
Oh yes :D When I was stuck in the mid back abyss, it seemed like it was never going to grow.

Sara_1987
April 1st, 2010, 06:40 AM
Yep, this happens to me a lot.
I always feel like my hair is short (it's a bit past BSL but I want waist!), but people comment all the time on how long my hair is.

I also always wear my hair down, but when I pull it up into a ponytail I really notice how long it is.
And this morning I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror from the back and it did seem quite long. :p

I wonder whether I will still feel my hair is short when I'm at waist...:confused:
That will be annoying because that's my goal length.

Monsterkitti
April 1st, 2010, 06:44 AM
Yup :) I know its growing from what other people say and looking at photos but its felt pretty much the same for over 6 months.

Fencai
April 1st, 2010, 07:09 AM
yes yes yes!!!! OMGs!!
Im at "can I call this waist" length, and its driving me nuts! I thought that by the time I got here, it would feel long, and to me it totally doesnt! So many people comment on how long my hair is, and I just kind of look at them and say, "thank you, and you think so? It doesn't feel long".

Im hoping that once it reaches the top of my vertical smile, it will feeeeeeeeel long! LOL!

melrose1985
April 1st, 2010, 07:17 AM
I agree too... I'm almost to the top of BSL and when i looked at my back in the mirror it looks long and yet it doesnt really seem long at all... I hope that it passes!

Ehedhwyn
April 1st, 2010, 07:19 AM
Yes!

I feel like waist length but the pictures prove that the endings tickle my tailbone.

Yep, this happens to me a lot.
I always feel like my hair is short (it's a bit past BSL but I want waist!), but people comment all the time on how long my hair is.

I think people say "wow, long hair" to every length below shoulder length. They don't even see a difference between APL, BSL and Midback.

LunarAurora
April 1st, 2010, 08:01 AM
I agree ! When i see pictures of my hair, i just can't believe it is mine ! I even don't recongnize myself !!
But the more you watch at pictures of your hair, the more you'll become conscious of its length :)

missmandy
April 1st, 2010, 08:03 AM
For me it's the opposite. I always feel like my hair is long and I'm almost at waist, but then I see a picture and get sad because I realize how far I really am.

Pixna
April 1st, 2010, 08:10 AM
For me it's the opposite. I always feel like my hair is long and I'm almost at waist, but then I see a picture and get sad because I realize how far I really am.

Why would being so far along make you sad? :confused:

anneisanne
April 1st, 2010, 08:21 AM
Me too! I just hit waist, and it feels like I'm still at BSL.

Waist was my original goal, too, so it'se weird that it still seems so short. Now I'm going for hip/tailbone- maybe when it's long enough to get caught in my waistband it'll actually feel long!

BattahZ
April 1st, 2010, 08:24 AM
All the time! I have a lot of layers in my hair, so in the front it always looks short to me (hits my shoulders curly). But in the back, and particularly when I stretch the curls out, it's really long. It's past APL but really doesn't feel like it, particularly because of the dramatic shrinkage I get.

marikamt
April 1st, 2010, 08:27 AM
OH yes, happens to me all the time.... also, I see someone else and think "wow, wish my hair was as long as theirs" and then I look at their stats and my length is longer.......
I am convinced hair dysmorphic disorder exists..... and I have it...... :lol:

Beansidhe
April 1st, 2010, 08:38 AM
Yes! It's BSL/mid-back-ish, but I have a lot of layers growing out. Some of the front ones are around shoulder/APL, so somehow I feel like my hair is all the shorter length even though I know it's mostly longer. I see it in pictures and it looks long by most people's standards, but it sure doesn't feel long to me at all! To me it's just medium length, but it feels even shorter. I just keep trying to focus on my goal of getting it healthy and knowing that I will probably be happier with the length and feel more like my old self a year from now.

Kristin
April 1st, 2010, 09:26 AM
It doesn't feel long because we look at it every day. Then suddenly we see a picture- or can compare pictures of when it was shorter to it's current length- and think, "Holy Moley! My hair is THAT long????"

Doesn't happen to me that often anymore because I am stuck in the mid-back abyss:(

Ravenne
April 1st, 2010, 10:14 AM
Oh definitely. I feel like I've been hanging around apl for a full year, but when I look at pictures from last august/september/etc, my demarcation line has definitely moved. Only good thing about demarcation lines. They're good growth indicators :p

Cleopatra18
April 1st, 2010, 10:17 AM
yeah i have the same problem here...im almost at hip but i keep checking my hair every 5 minutes because somehow i feel that my length just dissappeared and that my hair is super short =/

redneckprincess
April 1st, 2010, 11:13 AM
glad to hear its not just me, lol...
Im thinking its probally from my layers and what I see straight-on when I look in the mirror is hairs at just bairly shoulder length...and whats in the back is hidden from my view, untill I get a picture...true it does seem to feel longer after I compaire pictures....
Id like to think that once I get to BSL hopefully it will at least feel like APL anyways....

Bast
April 1st, 2010, 11:21 AM
Oh yes. When I joined last month it was just below shoulder, and looking at pictures I can tell that I've gotten some growth - the longest layers are now APL, but putting it up is still as difficult.

Amber Joy
April 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM
I caught a glimpse of my hair in the mirror yesterday at the store and was surprised at the length. it never seems that long to me. I think I'll be most surprised when I finally hit (and realize that i hit) waist length.

princessp
April 1st, 2010, 02:31 PM
Yes, I am at waist length and had no idea until I took a picture. It really doesn't feel that long especially since I just cut it.

elina333
April 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
I have the exact same feeling! When I look at pictures Im amazed by how long it looks, but it feels SHORT! Its weird... :hmm:

walterSCAN
April 1st, 2010, 07:41 PM
All the time! I think I may keep growing until that feeling goes away...

Carrie Ingalls
April 1st, 2010, 09:15 PM
Haha, you have no idea! I was oblivious for years about how long my hair was getting. From fingertip to knee I just thought it was fingertip until summer came and I could feel it on the backs of my knees. :D People would sometimes tell me it was longer than I was saying but I didn't really believe them, for a long time.

To this day I still don't really think of it being as long as it is...maybe because I wear it up so much. I am always surprised when I see pictures of my hair and I can see what everyone else is looking at all the time. :)

Merewen
April 2nd, 2010, 08:25 AM
Why would being so far along make you sad? :confused:

I think she means how far she is from her goal.

I'm the opposite way too. My braid especially looks so short to me, but it feels long when I feel it swish down my back.

IndigoAsh
April 2nd, 2010, 08:28 AM
My hair feels really short to. It's driving me insane. Thought it was just me. Good posting!!! Now I don't feel alone.

Pixna
April 2nd, 2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks for clarifying (the statement, not your hair :laugh:), Merewen.

BrightEyes7
April 2nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
People kept telling my hair was getting really long... I didn't think so. Then I hit waist and I was like, wow my hair is long! :laugh:

Capybara
April 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
I think that, because hair grows slowly, you get use to the new length so by the time it's longer, it feels normal/the same as before. My hair looks long, but doesn't feel long. If I cut it, though, it would feel short because the change in length was immediate. Likewise, if I wore a wig that was much longer than my hair is now, it would feel long but I doubt it would feel the same if I grew t to the same length as the wig
If that makes sense... :o

LadyJennifer
April 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Yep, I was depressed two weeks ago thinking my hair had not grown at ALL, then I checked out my monthly progress pics, and whoa! It had grown a good bit! :D

Debra83
April 2nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
Count me in too. This has been my problem the whole way since the beginning. It always feel short to me. Then I'm kinda surprised by the length in some of the pics, but it feels it's not going fast enough. And if I'm not looking at the back of my head, I have the self-perception it is shorter than it is. So weird. Even when my hair was at waist length, I never realized how long it really was because my focus was so not on my hair then. It just sort of happened. But looking back on pics, I sure kick myself for cutting it off!!!

Rhiannon7
April 2nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Me too! i don't feel my hair is so long but when i see the pics i wow! specially for those of us who had TBL or longer hair and cut and are growing back. it just feels so short but i see the pics and just smile cuz it is long. i even had a small joy moment last sunday when i washed and felt the hair tickle my Tailbone. :p i am so happy hair is growing again.